Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A.J Smith Ex Chargers joins the Redskins.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dashing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: A.J Smith Ex Chargers joins the Redskins. Reply with quote

Per PFT former Chargers GM joins as an advisory for the Skins.

Big move!!!!!!!!!Dudes a - but he knows talent very well and can help our scouting and personal moves. I already can see Eddie Royal coming .
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horrible move! This man has been nothing but mediocre in personnel moves since he ran Marty out of town...

Sound familiar...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the genesis for this move? Headshaker,,surely G M Allen didn't ask for another brain to be added.. Is it a "Danny" move .. What the Hell.??
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Horrible move! This man has been nothing but mediocre in personnel moves since he ran Marty out of town...

Sound familiar...

This^^^^

Cerrato 2.0

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird hiring but I wouldn't make too much out of this. A lot of time these guys are buddies and give each other jobs as a interim position. Smith will probably stay here and help with scouting for a year or two while he interviews for other GM positions.
SeanTayorsaPIMP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. It's not like he's taking Bruce Allen's spot. There was a span of three years or so where the Chargers were full of probowlers. He did a terrible job of replacing the talent he'd lose in FA but I do think he's an extra brain to pick and should be a good talent evaluator during the draft. Don't understand why people are upset with this move...

mike23md on the sig!
SeanTayorsaPIMP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Weird hiring but I wouldn't make too much out of this. A lot of time these guys are buddies and give each other jobs as a interim position. Smith will probably stay here and help with scouting for a year or two while he interviews for other GM positions.

Exactly. I don't think Snyder went "behind Allen's back" to make this move. Odds are that Bruce and AJ are friends and that part of the idea was Bruce's.

mike23md on the sig!
21 ALL THE WAY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:
I like it. It's not like he's taking Bruce Allen's spot. There was a span of three years or so where the Chargers were full of probowlers. He did a terrible job of replacing the talent he'd lose in FA but I do think he's an extra brain to pick and should be a good talent evaluator during the draft. Don't understand why people are upset with this move...

^^^^^^This. He is just a extra smart brain here to help us and we help him as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:
Actually, Marty and his staff did a great job developing the talent that AJ Smith selected. Then, when got rid of Marty for his hand picked puppet Norv Turner the team got worse.

It doesn't hurt to have a brain to pick, but in this case... won't there be too many chiefs?

At what point we staft looking like the Gibbs 2.0 staff with all the associate head coaches, advisors and consultants? That didn't work out all that well to my recollection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know Smith's son already works for the The Redskins. Seems there is a long time connection with Bruce Allen so guess it was his hire..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/02/26/redskins-expected-to-hire-former-chargers-gm-a-j-smith-as-adviser/
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
Didn't know Smith's son already works for the The Redskins. Seems there is a long time connection with Bruce Allen so guess it was his hire..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/02/26/redskins-expected-to-hire-former-chargers-gm-a-j-smith-as-adviser/
that makes sense, it's a friend helping a friend hire. Damn, I wish I had friends like that! Laughing

Pretty clear a lot of the NFL wasn't too impressed with how he shipped Marty out, hired Norv and couldn't reload the talent there around rivers, seeing as he didnt get any gm jobs.
Dashing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Sound familiar...

This^^^^

Cerrato 2.0

LOL AJ a better GM than Bruce Allen im sorry but its very true.

Jackson-Brees-Phillips-Cromartie- etc list goes on the dude is a A hoe yes but no doubt can pick his players and also made SD for the most part a very respectable organization . And no way is he vinny because he never over pays or does big trades if Bruce left than this guy would be great .

We should let him scout the D .
Dashing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:

I hate it......Aj Smith decisions got SD to be where there at to now and obviously had a cold chance to win a SB in championship games. People like to favoritism in this fan base it just sickens me.

Aj is a better I repeat GM THAN SHANNY AND Bruce so his tips are very well regarded . Not saying our FO been bad but come on has any one see SD's for the past 5-8 years? biggest mistake was Brees but phillips is a good replacement.
DCRED

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the move. He gets to be with his son and his friend Bruce. And chill with alot less responsibility than he had.

He's not writing any contracts. But he has an eye for Pro Bowl talent, and I can't see any way that bringing him on as an ASSISTANT can hurt. Him being Allen's assistant in the past only reinforces our scouting department.

Snyder did this to help Shanny and Allen, not to undermine anyone.
Great addition. We are going to have a kick-@@@ draft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
I like the move. He gets to be with his son and his friend Bruce. And chill with alot less responsibility than he had.

He's not writing any contracts. But he has an eye for Pro Bowl talent, and I can't see any way that bringing him on as an ASSISTANT can hurt. Him being Allen's assistant in the past only reinforces our scouting department.

Snyder did this to help Shanny and Allen, not to undermine anyone.
Great addition. We are going to have a kick-@@@ draft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I still think he drafts the players and the coaches develop them. Marty made AJ Smith look like a great GM throughout most of the last decade. Then, Spanos and AJ got cocky and fired Marty. AJ thought Norv was a better person to coach the team (probably because Norv was more of a puppet). Ever since AJ fired Marty, the team hasn't produced nearly as much pro bowl talent and it hasn't won nearly as many games. Aj's last several drafts were not all that great and it's the reason he was canned.

Marty was the man. Aj.... ehhh not really.

I guess I agree that it doesn't hurt to have him around, scouting and giving opinions to ShanAllen, but his track record was great in SD with Marty and w/o Marty it went downhill.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: