Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What to do about Sean Smith?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mpjjk89 wrote:
Maddogg wrote:
I as the Dolphins General Manager let Sean Smith walk. Thats right I had him in my mock was overjoyed when the Dolphins selected him.

Unfortunately his pro career to date has not performed to that of an elite or even very good cornerback in the NFL. I can rate his performance overall as steady, but it has had very few peaks and far too many valleys.

Sure he is fast, has nice height but he doesn't bring the whole package as a cb. There is no frustration on the wide receivers part when they line up against him. I had high hopes for him this past year and he started out relatively well, then spiraled down quickly.

So let the Eagles, 49'ers or whatever suitor out there overpay. The smart move is to strenghten the pass rush, look at the linebackers with Burnett and Dansby now on the wrong side of 30 and probably draft a cornerback early.

As far as free agents there may be a stop gap out there that will come much cheaper than Sean Smith. Besides if we can improve with the pass rush with our front seven even an average group in the secondary will look very good.

In summation, bye bye Sean, call your grandmother.

That's what irks me, there's absolutely no reason why Smith should get PAID. He has done decent, if that, during his tenure in Miami.

Here's the thing, the case against Sean Smith has been WAY overmade here on these forums. He is no where near as bad as many would have you believe if you simply listen to the voices in this forum. He is also not elite. He is "good". Not great. Not anywhere near franchise level player. But he is good. And the coaches and the front office, and other teams, know it. They know he's good. He's had bad games, and he played especially poorly after Richard Marshall went down and he had less support. But when he is on, he is good.

That means he should get paid. The question isn't if he shoudl get paid, but how much. I think what he is asking for is WAY overboard. But equally overboard is how badly lots of fans went him sent packing. The truth in the Sean Smith case lies somewhere in the middle.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some of Sean Smith's tweets from about two days ago:

Sean Smith wrote:
I don't want to, but its not up to me RT @A_Nisivoccia @SeanSMITH24 don't leave Miami fam

Sean Smith wrote:
Lol stop RT @T_Zayas7 @SeanSMITH24 @A_Nisivoccia it is up to you. Take the money that you're worth. Not what you think you're worth. Take less to help the team

Sean Smith wrote:
Really??? RT @marcofficial_ @SeanSMITH24 or u can just not ask for a huge contract and ask for something cheap....

Sean Smith wrote:
Lol I'm guessing most of you have never asked you boss for a promotion???

Doesn't really bode well for him staying in Miami, if you ask me. I'd like to keep him personally.
carlos2104

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
Here are some of Sean Smith's tweets from about two days ago:

Sean Smith wrote:
I don't want to, but its not up to me RT @A_Nisivoccia @SeanSMITH24 don't leave Miami fam

Sean Smith wrote:
Lol stop RT @T_Zayas7 @SeanSMITH24 @A_Nisivoccia it is up to you. Take the money that you're worth. Not what you think you're worth. Take less to help the team

Sean Smith wrote:
Really??? RT @marcofficial_ @SeanSMITH24 or u can just not ask for a huge contract and ask for something cheap....

Sean Smith wrote:
Lol I'm guessing most of you have never asked you boss for a promotion???

Doesn't really bode well for him staying in Miami, if you ask me. I'd like to keep him personally.
I would prefer to keep him, but if he wants elite CB money cut him loose.
Emerica

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, he's not an elite CB.

Quote:
Vontae Davis ‏@VontaeDavis23

I seen my dude Sean Smith last night he said he talking to KC him & B Flowers will makes a good Duo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let him walk. Dont be afraid of another hole opening up. Their are cheaper upgrads out there.
candyman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that even if Smith resigns, Miami needs to invest in a cornerback in the first rounds. Kevin Coyle´s defensive system (similar to the one Mike Zimmer runs in Cinci) requires cornerbacks that can play on an island.

The bengals have drafted 3 corners in the first round in the last 6 years, showing the importance they give to the position.

I would draft Xavier Rhodes if some other players werent available at 12(Fisher, Johnson, Millner). He reminds me of Richard Sherman, in his ability to jam receivers at the LOS. And he proved in the combine that he has more than enough speed to keep up with receivers.

Yes, he has had problems with being overagressive and having many penalties called his way due to his physicality. But those are correctable flaws.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like rhodes and he can play in your face and is aggressive. I think banks is more richard sherman in the sense that banks has long arms and despite rhodes running a better 40 banks has better hips. I love how banks makes plays on the ball he under cuts routes so good it reminds me of sherman. I think banks may be there at 42 now.
Warpticon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both Rhodes and Trufant the best in this class after Milliner at CB.
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let him walk, make it #2 priority in FA to get a CB and draft a CB in first 3 rounds.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolphinemidget wrote:
Let him walk, make it #2 priority in FA to get a CB and draft a CB in first 3 rounds.

There are going be some intriguing names let go from teams this year. It should be real interesting once the cuts begin.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
Dolphinemidget wrote:

There are going be some intriguing names let go from teams this year. It should be real interesting once the cuts begin.

MD, I am on board with that, we should be able to sign one, close to Smiths talent level in FA if not well we sign the best we can, pick a CB in this draft and make it a point to look at next years FA and draft next year. Lets face it we are not one CB away from being a SB team.

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolphinemidget wrote:
Lets face it we are not one CB away from being a SB team.

I agree. Spot on, DM. I like Smith more than most, and I would make an attempt to retain him, but I don't think I'd be able to give him the amount he wanted in order to keep him a Dolphin. As much as I don't want us creating yet another hole on our team, we can't give elite money to a less than elite player. In fact, it prevents us from acquiring elite talent when we do. If Sean Smith continues to improve, like I believe he has every season, he could end up being elite. I know a lot of you are laughing right now, and I get why, but he has flashed big time play (despite NO ball skills) and could make some GM look very smart. He could also get a GM fired if he doesn't get better, or even worse, regress because of complacency after a big contract.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
Dolphinemidget wrote:
Lets face it we are not one CB away from being a SB team.

I agree. Spot on, DM. I like Smith more than most, and I would make an attempt to retain him, but I don't think I'd be able to give him the amount he wanted in order to keep him a Dolphin. As much as I don't want us creating yet another hole on our team, we can't give elite money to a less than elite player. In fact, it prevents us from acquiring elite talent when we do. If Sean Smith continues to improve, like I believe he has every season, he could end up being elite. I know a lot of you are laughing right now, and I get why, but he has flashed big time play (despite NO ball skills) and could make some GM look very smart. He could also get a GM fired if he doesn't get better, or even worse, regress because of complacency after a big contract.

I do like Sean Smith also Merc. Where it separates for me is the the financial side of his future cost based on past performance. Could he become elite? Its possible, we just will not be seeing that unfold here in Miami. Potential - the stepchild of actually doing it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let him walk and draft Xavier Rhodes.

UniversalAuthor
Emerica

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagasse67 wrote:
Let him walk and draft Xavier Rhodes.

I'm fine with this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: