Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Finding it hard to get excited about these pass rushers:
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
whodatworm23


Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 3135
Location: Nawlins
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Finding it hard to get excited about these pass rushers: Reply with quote

2011 NFL Combine Results:

Martez Wilson LB Illinois


Height: 6’4”
Weight: 250 lbs
Arm length: 34 5/8”
40 yard dash: 4.42
20 yard dash: 2.53
10 yard dash: 1.56
225 lb bench press: 23 reps
Vertical jump: 36
Broad jump: 10’04”
20 yard shuttle: 4.28
3 cone drill: 7.04

Quote from NFL combine on Martez Wilson:
Quote:
Wilson is a great looking prospect on the hoof with good height, length and speed. Finds the football quickly. Displays the ability to take on blockers, shed, and make plays close to the line. Exhibits sideline-to-sideline ability. Dangerous pass rusher off the edge who brings speed and power. Has experience rushing with hand on the ground.


Martez Wilson’s last season’s statistics at Illinois…
Team Captain
Tackles: 112
Tackles of loss: 11.5
Sacks: 4
INT’s: 1
Forced fumbles: 3

All this while playing middle linebacker where Wilson wasn’t asked to rush the passer much.


So tell me again why I should be all excited about guys like Moore, Mingo, Jordan, Ansah or others at this position… I mean fo real, this guy is just as much a physical specimen as any of those dude’s and he had the production coming out of college to go with it.

Can’t use the argument that he hasn’t performed in the NFL yet because he’s never played outside edge rusher in a 34 yet.

So I ask… why should we waste a 1st round draft pick or feel the need to take one of this athlete’s when we already have this guy on board?

Shouldn’t he get his chance first?


WHODAT
_________________


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
tylerdouglass


Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 14168
Location: Bellingham, WA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To put it simply, I think Wilson at ILB and a rookie OLB will be better than Wilson at OLB and a rookie at ILB.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
krewebrees


Joined: 10 Feb 2013
Posts: 342
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he can play either inside or outside, but Payton has definitely been grooming him for outside (jack). I think Tez should start no matter what. Junior can be a rotational player and when he comes in at jack Tez could go to inside and the draftee inside could slide to the not pass rushing outsidebacker.

Who in this draft can play both inside and outside?
Jarvis Jones
_________________

Adopt a Saint 2013
Malcolm Jenkins: 71 tckl, 3 PDef, 2 int, 2 ff, 2.5 sck
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whodatworm23


Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 3135
Location: Nawlins
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
To put it simply, I think Wilson at ILB and a rookie OLB will be better than Wilson at OLB and a rookie at ILB.


Ok, but is that rookie a bigger need than say Vaccaro at safety? Is any of these guys Mingo, Moore, Ansah, Jordan (Jones likley to be gone) 2 rounds better than guys like Lemoner, Jenkins & Collins?

Do we have to draft an OLB in the 1st?

Where is the value in this draft for us? I just don't see it at OLB in the top round. Am I missing something... All these guys are projects, NONE are the so called GAME CHANGERS peolpe so despertly want.

If it's a defensive game changer we seek with our 1st pick then I honestly would have to say that I feel the value isn't at the OLB position.

I think Vaccro if available would have a much bigger impact than any of those guys, or even a corner like Rhodes or a left tackle like Johnson. Look I completely understand that the Saints are very likley to draft one of these OLB's at 15 but depending on who's avilable I see it as simply reaching for a need and that's something I don't think you should ever do in the top 15.
_________________


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Canadian Saint


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 1973
Location: Canada!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to think that drafting a OLB in the first would be a waste.

Tank Carradine, Jamie Collins, Brandon Jenkins, Corey Lemonier, Phillip Buchanen, Chase Thomas are all solid 3-4 OLB prospects which could have positive impacts now and in the future. They should be there after the 1st and possibly later.

Vaccaro would really help an ailing secondary(and if you look at Rex Ryan's drafting history, there is a chance of that).

It'd give us the ability to cut Harper too.

1. Vaccaro
3. Tank Carradine/Other OLB prospect
4. Faulk
5. CB Micah Hyde
7. TE Jake Stoneburner

Sign a guy like Ricky Jean-Francois to shore up the D-line.

I'd consider doing that.
_________________



NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tylerdouglass


Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 14168
Location: Bellingham, WA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
To put it simply, I think Wilson at ILB and a rookie OLB will be better than Wilson at OLB and a rookie at ILB.


Ok, but is that rookie a bigger need than say Vaccaro at safety? Is any of these guys Mingo, Moore, Ansah, Jordan (Jones likley to be gone) 2 rounds better than guys like Lemoner, Jenkins & Collins?

Do we have to draft an OLB in the 1st?

Where is the value in this draft for us? I just don't see it at OLB in the top round. Am I missing something... All these guys are projects, NONE are the so called GAME CHANGERS peolpe so despertly want.

If it's a defensive game changer we seek with our 1st pick then I honestly would have to say that I feel the value isn't at the OLB position.

I think Vaccro if available would have a much bigger impact than any of those guys, or even a corner like Rhodes or a left tackle like Johnson. Look I completely understand that the Saints are very likley to draft one of these OLB's at 15 but depending on who's avilable I see it as simply reaching for a need and that's something I don't think you should ever do in the top 15.


I'm not sold at OLB in the 1st either. I am sold on Wilson in the ILB, but I think he'll do fine at OLB as well.

The position Wilson plays will have less to do with Wilson, and more to do with whoever plays the other position.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Raves


Moderator
Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Posts: 17307
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
To put it simply, I think Wilson at ILB and a rookie OLB will be better than Wilson at OLB and a rookie at ILB.


Ok, but is that rookie a bigger need than say Vaccaro at safety? Is any of these guys Mingo, Moore, Ansah, Jordan (Jones likley to be gone) 2 rounds better than guys like Lemoner, Jenkins & Collins?

Do we have to draft an OLB in the 1st?

Where is the value in this draft for us? I just don't see it at OLB in the top round. Am I missing something... All these guys are projects, NONE are the so called GAME CHANGERS peolpe so despertly want.

If it's a defensive game changer we seek with our 1st pick then I honestly would have to say that I feel the value isn't at the OLB position.

I think Vaccro if available would have a much bigger impact than any of those guys, or even a corner like Rhodes or a left tackle like Johnson. Look I completely understand that the Saints are very likley to draft one of these OLB's at 15 but depending on who's avilable I see it as simply reaching for a need and that's something I don't think you should ever do in the top 15.


I'm not sold at OLB in the 1st either. I am sold on Wilson in the ILB, but I think he'll do fine at OLB as well.

The position Wilson plays will have less to do with Wilson, and more to do with whoever plays the other position.


So basically it comes down to do we sign a guy like Kruger and keep Wilson inside or do we keep Wilson outside and draft a guy like Ogletree.
_________________

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tylerdouglass


Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 14168
Location: Bellingham, WA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
The position Wilson plays will have less to do with Wilson, and more to do with whoever plays the other position.


So basically it comes down to do we sign a guy like Kruger and keep Wilson inside or do we keep Wilson outside and draft a guy like Ogletree.


Yep. Wilson's ability to play OLB or ILB gives us some good flexibility in the 1st.

As does Hicks who could probably play NT if needed. Although I don't see any 3-4 DE prospects who would be targets at 15.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whodatworm23


Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 3135
Location: Nawlins
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
Raves wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
The position Wilson plays will have less to do with Wilson, and more to do with whoever plays the other position.


So basically it comes down to do we sign a guy like Kruger and keep Wilson inside or do we keep Wilson outside and draft a guy like Ogletree.


Yep. Wilson's ability to play OLB or ILB gives us some good flexibility in the 1st.

As does Hicks who could probably play NT if needed. Although I don't see any 3-4 DE prospects who would be targets at 15.


Trading down for Ogletree and grabbing a couple more picks would be sweet!
_________________


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
tylerdouglass


Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 14168
Location: Bellingham, WA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Raves wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
The position Wilson plays will have less to do with Wilson, and more to do with whoever plays the other position.


So basically it comes down to do we sign a guy like Kruger and keep Wilson inside or do we keep Wilson outside and draft a guy like Ogletree.


Yep. Wilson's ability to play OLB or ILB gives us some good flexibility in the 1st.

As does Hicks who could probably play NT if needed. Although I don't see any 3-4 DE prospects who would be targets at 15.


Trading down for Ogletree and grabbing a couple more picks would be sweet!


The dude got a DUI during the most important time in his life thus far.

I don't trust his character.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whodatworm23


Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 3135
Location: Nawlins
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The dude got a DUI during the most important time in his life thus far.

I don't trust his character.


Nor do I... Not in the first anyway! Like I said, TRADE DOWN but it would depend on when we could land him. Sometimes ya gotta take a risk on talented troubled players when your a horrid defense.

Sure he could bust or he can turn out to be Justin Houston.

That's why I said trade down and get more picks so your not putting all your eggs in one basket.
_________________


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
taquarih


Joined: 09 Feb 2009
Posts: 41
Location: BATON ROUGE LA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...yep. None of these guys are better specimens than Tez. We have to groom him to full potential.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spartica4Real


Joined: 26 Jan 2013
Posts: 3004
Location: Louisiana
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make alot of threads worm. Shocked

From what I hear, Ogletree is strictly a OLB in a 3-4.
_________________
WHO DAT! Offseason.
GEAUX TIGERS! Offseason.



Last edited by Spartica4Real on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spanky3801


Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Posts: 237
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if Wilson were going to play inside, we wouldn't have seen him move to DE.
we had Wilson before Lofton, so I don't think that Payton wants him inside.
_________________
http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/292/saitns.png
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thesolution


Joined: 18 Jan 2009
Posts: 1882
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
You make alot of threads worm. Shocked

From what I hear, Ogletree is strictly a OLB in a 3-4.


You heard wrong. .
_________________

Copyrighted by Kiltman
My Second Sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group