Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who is Margus Hunt
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevo238019

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Who is Margus Hunt Reply with quote

Margus Hunt SMU 6'8 1/8 277 33 3/4 10 4.60 1.62 38 34.5 10'1

Does he got the skills to play lb hmmmmm.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72SLCNaHJco
green24

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathis Hunt is a 3-4 DE. I think the Texans have a pretty solid guy there. Watt is his name, I believe.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way in the world he can be a 3/4 OLB. He is strictly a 3/4 or 4/3 DE. I like him more in the 4/3. I'm glad he is in the draft, so i dont have to worry about him terrorizing UH's OL. Laughing

I still think he is going to be an early to mid 2nd round pick.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a pure 5-tech.

My top 5-techs in this draft are:
1. Sheldon Richardson
2. Sharrif Floyd
3. Ezekiel Ansah
4. Kawann Short
5. Margus Hunt
Marco79

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate when teams draft old rookies, more specifcally in the early rounds cause they have probably hit there peak. No 26 year old rookie for us.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
I hate when teams draft old rookies, more specifcally in the early rounds cause they have probably hit there peak. No 26 year old rookie for us.

To be fair, guy has only played organized football for four years. He was an Olympic hopeful for Estonia, but lost his funding; SMU HC June Jones saw this freak in the weight room, knew his money was slowly dripping to an end, offered him a football scholarship pretty much after his first meeting...and now, Hunt is considered a late 1st rounder.

That being said - this rise is eerily similar to what we saw from Dontari Poe last season. For the most part, Poe was a pretty mediocre NT for Memphis, didn't do anything in games that made you take notice...but 45x225 plus a 4.6 40 yard dash later, people (including myself and the KC Chiefs) were quick to state that Poe was the best NT in the draft. Question on the lack of production be damned, murmurs on having a low end motor and no work ethic were quickly ignored when he lifted the RCA Dome while sprinting against a cheetah. That's the combine for you, I guess.

Now, I am not stating that Hunt has the same issues - nobody has questioned a former Olympic hopeful in regards to his work ethic, or his motor. With Hunt, it's all about his knowledge, his football IQ. As stated earlier - most guys in this draft had as much experience as Hunt had going in to high school, let alone the NFL. Even for his age, Hunt is VERY raw. The tools are there, and they are there in ways that you don't see in someone that size...but it will take a lot of patience and coaching to get him to play to those skills.

All in all - the Planet Theory (coined by Bill Parcells and George Allen) dictates that he should be a 1st round pick. There are only so many people on the planet that represent such a size/strength/speed combo, and even if it's raw, it is something that is rare. You don't overthink it, you take him and go. IF he can land on a team that has the luxury of bringing him along slowly, letting him get the speed and power of the NFL trenches in small spoonfuls, all while correcting any bad habits he's picked up in his four years, they'll have a very good player on their hands. If say someone like Rod Marinelli or Jim Washburn (DC/DL coaches with THAT level of experience) get their hands on Hunt - he will be a MONSTER, just a guy who will crush opposing OL when the ball is snapped.

It will all depend on who gets him, honestly. The potential and work ethic is there to be good, great even. However, the lack of experience is there to see this guy bust in a bad way. He's the definition of a boom/bust pick.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Grasspike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Marco79 wrote:

To be fair, guy has only played organized football for four years. He was an Olympic hopeful for Estonia, but lost his funding; SMU HC June Jones saw this freak in the weight room, knew his money was slowly dripping to an end, offered him a football scholarship pretty much after his first meeting...and now, Hunt is considered a late 1st rounder.

That being said - this rise is eerily similar to what we saw from Dontari Poe last season. For the most part, Poe was a pretty mediocre NT for Memphis, didn't do anything in games that made you take notice...but 45x225 plus a 4.6 40 yard dash later, people (including myself and the KC Chiefs) were quick to state that Poe was the best NT in the draft. Question on the lack of production be damned, murmurs on having a low end motor and no work ethic were quickly ignored when he lifted the RCA Dome while sprinting against a cheetah. That's the combine for you, I guess.

Now, I am not stating that Hunt has the same issues - nobody has questioned a former Olympic hopeful in regards to his work ethic, or his motor. With Hunt, it's all about his knowledge, his football IQ. As stated earlier - most guys in this draft had as much experience as Hunt had going in to high school, let alone the NFL. Even for his age, Hunt is VERY raw. The tools are there, and they are there in ways that you don't see in someone that size...but it will take a lot of patience and coaching to get him to play to those skills.

All in all - the Planet Theory (coined by Bill Parcells and George Allen) dictates that he should be a 1st round pick. There are only so many people on the planet that represent such a size/strength/speed combo, and even if it's raw, it is something that is rare. You don't overthink it, you take him and go. IF he can land on a team that has the luxury of bringing him along slowly, letting him get the speed and power of the NFL trenches in small spoonfuls, all while correcting any bad habits he's picked up in his four years, they'll have a very good player on their hands. If say someone like Rod Marinelli or Jim Washburn (DC/DL coaches with THAT level of experience) get their hands on Hunt - he will be a MONSTER, just a guy who will crush opposing OL when the ball is snapped.

It will all depend on who gets him, honestly. The potential and work ethic is there to be good, great even. However, the lack of experience is there to see this guy bust in a bad way. He's the definition of a boom/bust pick.

The "he's only played football for four years" argument holds a lot less weight when you consider the fact that by the time he develops he'll be nearing 30. There's a huge difference between drafting a 22-year old who might play ten years (Cordarelle Patterson being one example) and a 26-year old who might play six. Assuming two development years before real impact, Hunt might have a 4 year window while Patterson might have an 8 year one.

And to be clear, I'm using Patterson strictly as an example. I'm not a proponent of drafting him and don't see that changing before the draft.

Sig by matthouston91
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
The "he's only played football for four years" argument holds a lot less weight when you consider the fact that by the time he develops he'll be nearing 30. There's a huge difference between drafting a 22-year old who might play ten years (Cordarelle Patterson being one example) and a 26-year old who might play six. Assuming two development years before real impact, Hunt might have a 4 year window while Patterson might have an 8 year one.

And to be clear, I'm using Patterson strictly as an example. I'm not a proponent of drafting him and don't see that changing before the draft.

I agree, and it's why I wouldn't want Hunt. There is a wait-and-see aspect to him, you're not going to get value from the guy right out of the box. The phrase "Day 1 starter" is overused IMO, but it rings here a bit - in no way is Margus Hunt a Day 1 starter. Not even a YEAR 1 starter, outside of ST work.

However, that doesn't really change that teams will fall in love with the measurables and overdraft the guy - 28 year old Brandon Weeden was taken in the 20s, the Eagles drafted 26 year old Danny Watkins in the 20s - and neither of those guys put up such eye-popping numbers in their workouts. If Hunt was 23 or so, he'd be talked about as a top 5-10 prospect, no doubt.

With his size and measurables, I would love to see a coach move him to TE - it would be a pretty bold move, but IF it were to pan out (if even only for a 3-5 year stretch) can you imagine what sort of RZ option this guy would be? That sort of size, strength, reach, speed? I know I'm oversimplyfing it, as it takes more than the measurables to play TE at this level...but man, that would be something.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair defensive linemen typically have a long shelf life.
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope that some other team does overdraft Margus Hunt, by doing so they push other quality talent down to #27. Maybe Cordarelle Patterson, Keenan Allen, or Jonathan Banks falls in our lap.
Grasspike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
Let's hope that some other team does overdraft Margus Hunt, by doing so they push other quality talent down to #27. Maybe Cordarelle Patterson, Keenan Allen, or Jonathan Banks falls in our lap.

Johnthan Banks might fall with the 40 he ran today

Sig by matthouston91
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:

What was it? I didnt think Millner would run as fast as he did

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
48 tot, 1 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
Grasspike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:

Banks ran 4.6+ if I remember correctly

Sig by matthouston91
kenney

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:

Banks ran 4.6+ if I remember correctly

I stand pat by my determination that Banks is the best corner in the draft.
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Marco79 wrote:

I think Bill Kollar and the Texans DL group could get a helluva lot out of him. I'm kinda pullin for us to take him in round 1. Plus he'd give us leverage with Antonio Smith's contract up next year, and if he works at it there's no doubt his ceiling is higher than Antonio's. Pairing Hunt (who blocked 17 kicks in his college career) with Watt (who blocked 16 passes last season) in our front could lay the foundation for a superbowl team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: