You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Can we please trade down...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DOCLEW 28


Joined: 10 Nov 2006
Posts: 11203
Location: East Oakland
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
I'll ask this question. With no blue chip prospects in this class, the value of trading down is much less. More teams will want to trade down, than up. So the fortune favors the team wanting to move up.


if you are a playoff team and you feel that you are only one player away then someone will see something that they like and offer up a good enough deal. take the 49ers for example. They have a good young team with not too many holes to fill. But they have 14 draft picks. There is no way in hell that 14 rookies are going to make that squad. So why not offer up a nice package of about 5-6 picks and get that one piece that you think will take you over the top?

Where were they hurt in the Super Bowl? On the corners. Take the BPS at that #3 spot.

Their two top DL are both gree agents. Take Star or Floyd to play the 5 technique for the next 6 years in front of Patrick Willis and Navaro Bowman.

That is the type of team that has the juice to make a big splash and have it pay off for them.
_________________

Raider X hooked me with the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Raiiiiidersssss


Joined: 23 Jan 2007
Posts: 5478
Location: The Black Hole
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Nobody wrote:
The Chiefs and Jags are in the premium positions to trade down. Whoever KC doesn't take, the Jags can dangle in front of the rest of the league. At 3, I fear we're pretty much stuck.


That's a great point.
_________________
MACKiavelli
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TiberiusRising


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 13266
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
I'll ask this question. With no blue chip prospects in this class, the value of trading down is much less. More teams will want to trade down, than up. So the fortune favors the team wanting to move up.


if you are a playoff team and you feel that you are only one player away then someone will see something that they like and offer up a good enough deal. take the 49ers for example. They have a good young team with not too many holes to fill. But they have 14 draft picks. There is no way in hell that 14 rookies are going to make that squad. So why not offer up a nice package of about 5-6 picks and get that one piece that you think will take you over the top?

Where were they hurt in the Super Bowl? On the corners. Take the BPS at that #3 spot.

Their two top DL are both gree agents. Take Star or Floyd to play the 5 technique for the next 6 years in front of Patrick Willis and Navaro Bowman.

That is the type of team that has the juice to make a big splash and have it pay off for them.

This is exactly my thinking.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
attack_in_s/b


Joined: 11 Aug 2010
Posts: 1077
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a blue chip prospect? It's not as if there is a universal measure for it... It's always relevant.... Every year there will be blue chip prospects... The top guys in the draft. Teams will fall in love with players, making them become blue chip prospects. Maybe there's no Calvin Johnson level players but that doesn't mean teams aren't going to value all players the same and not trade up... They'll trade up to get 'their guy'.... Whether he's got 'a ton of upside', or is a 'freak athlete' or is a 'system guy' etc.... I don't see trading down being so difficult.

Another thing I'd like to point out, if there was a 'blue chip' prospect.... A megatron, AD, aj green, etc.... Why wouldn't we take him.... For example, jadeveon clowney will probably be that type of prospect next year... I wouldn't trade down as IMO the guy is gonna be a beast.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mhuff24


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 2002
Location: M-Town, RI
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

call me crazy but i have a feeling, and yes its only a feeling, that buffalo is going to swap firsts with us so they can be sure to draft geno smith. i read somewhere that their gm has said they are going to draft a franchise quaterback this year. i think we will be able to bluff enough to force them to trade with us, as theyll be afraid that we will take him, and if we dont philly and arizona are still realistic options to take him.


as i said its only just a feeling but when we're all on the edges of our seats on draftday anxious to see who we will pick i predict we'll see the raiders logos in the background turn to bills logos and we will hear the words "there has been a trade" come out of the commish's mouth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
early43


Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Posts: 1209
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
I'll ask this question. With no blue chip prospects in this class, the value of trading down is much less. More teams will want to trade down, than up. So the fortune favors the team wanting to move up.


if you are a playoff team and you feel that you are only one player away then someone will see something that they like and offer up a good enough deal. take the 49ers for example. They have a good young team with not too many holes to fill. But they have 14 draft picks. There is no way in hell that 14 rookies are going to make that squad. So why not offer up a nice package of about 5-6 picks and get that one piece that you think will take you over the top?

Where were they hurt in the Super Bowl? On the corners. Take the BPS at that #3 spot.

Their two top DL are both gree agents. Take Star or Floyd to play the 5 technique for the next 6 years in front of Patrick Willis and Navaro Bowman.

That is the type of team that has the juice to make a big splash and have it pay off for them.


Great point. And you could probably add another pick to that total after Smith gets traded too.

SF isn't going to draft 14 rookies like you said because they don't have the roster space to. That team is stacked. Im more inclined to think they swing a trade for Revis than anything else but I do see them as movers on draft day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joe Nobody


Joined: 12 Feb 2013
Posts: 480
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhuff24 wrote:
call me crazy but i have a feeling, and yes its only a feeling, that buffalo is going to swap firsts with us so they can be sure to draft geno smith. i read somewhere that their gm has said they are going to draft a franchise quaterback this year. i think we will be able to bluff enough to force them to trade with us, as theyll be afraid that we will take him, and if we dont philly and arizona are still realistic options to take him.


as i said its only just a feeling but when we're all on the edges of our seats on draftday anxious to see who we will pick i predict we'll see the raiders logos in the background turn to bills logos and we will hear the words "there has been a trade" come out of the commish's mouth


I will smile like O.J. when he heard the word "Not guilty" if this happens.

The top of this draft is a hot mess. Any extra picks we can acquire to hedge against whoever we end up taking in Rd1 will be greatly appreciated.

Though, I still think KC or the Jags will be the team that trades out, assuming anyone actually comes calling to trade up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
raiders006


Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Posts: 2397
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its always hard to do at the top of the draft but it will be especially difficult this year with the lack of blue chippers at the top. Doubtful it happens, although would love it if we pulled it off.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheAutumnWind


Joined: 18 Aug 2011
Posts: 252
Location: L.A.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned this in the draft thread...

... but what if we swap firsts with the Bengals (a borderline playoff team looking for a impact player in a really tough division) ....get the 37th Pick which was originally ours back, a 4th this year, and 3rd next year....

...not sure if thats enough compensation... but I think we have a LOT to gain by grabbing our 2nd rd pick back considering the depth at the bottom of the first/early 2nd round.

I'm Thinkin... Warford/Richardson in Rd 1 (pick 21)

J.Williams/MLB Arthur Brown/Barrett Jones in Rd 2 Thoughts??? Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joe Nobody


Joined: 12 Feb 2013
Posts: 480
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think the Bengals had lost their damn minds.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheAutumnWind


Joined: 18 Aug 2011
Posts: 252
Location: L.A.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Nobody wrote:
I would think the Bengals had lost their damn minds.


Serious???... I added the 3rd next year cuz someone on the draft thread said they didn't think we were properly compensated... but if I was the bengals... and all the raiders were asking for was their 2nd back and a 4th rounder... for a top 3 pick... I'd do it in a heartbeat... they'd still have their own 2nd rounder this year... Idk... seems feasible... maybe another 4th in next years draft to even it out????
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joe Nobody


Joined: 12 Feb 2013
Posts: 480
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why give up a 1, 2, 4, and future 3 at all, though? There's no one at the top of the draft they should be targeting. They can stand pat or just move up a few spots and get just as good a prospect and not have to give away a grip of picks in the process.

I see no upside for Cinci in that deal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheAutumnWind


Joined: 18 Aug 2011
Posts: 252
Location: L.A.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Nobody wrote:
Why give up a 1, 2, 4, and future 3 at all, though? There's no one at the top of the draft they should be targeting. They can stand pat or just move up a few spots and get just as good a prospect and not have to give away a grip of picks in the process.

I see no upside for Cinci in that deal.


Depends if they fall in love with a Jordan/Fisher/Milliner/Warmack etc... technically they wouldn't give up a 1... would be giving back a 2... and for a top 3 pick I would think a 4 is chump change... I scratched the 3 in next years draft.

Ultimately... if they moved up at 3 to grab Warmack... they'd really just be giving up their extra 2nd for a perennial pro bowler and the safest pick in this draft... to me = no brainer imvho Silenced
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joe Nobody


Joined: 12 Feb 2013
Posts: 480
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give up a bundle to move up to 3rd overall...for a guard.

Nah, man. It's a nice dream, but it's about as realistic as Reggie waking up the morning and being slim, trim, and good lookin'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joe Nobody


Joined: 12 Feb 2013
Posts: 480
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we do manage to trade down, it'll be to a team like Buffalo or Arizona trying to overdraft Geno. Beyond that, we're likely stuck.

Very slim chance someone tries to jump Detroit and Philly for Milliner. I'm ever so slightly hopeful that this becomes an option for us. It would be someone like Cinci, though. No player in this draft is worth jumping that far up. There are no Julio Jones types coming out this year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group