Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots to place QB Ryan Mallett on trade block
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
redsoxsrule1437 wrote:
Troy Brown wrote:
Ain't no one giving a second rounder for Ryan Mallett. I don't expect us to trade him but if we do, it'd probably be for a third or a fourth.

They won't trade him for anything less than a 2nd. They would just keep if him that were the case.

Why? If someone offers a pick in the low 70s or high 60s, they'd be damn fools to turn it down.

I would take a low 70s or high 60s pick for him, if the patriots also got a future third.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP wrote:
pretty sure vikings make more sense than the bills considering the pats seem to be much higher on mallett now than they were on bledsoe before trading him back in 2002 because of age mostly

I highly doubt that. Bledsoe was a good starting quality quarterback and a known valuable commodity. He was the second best on the roster, but he would have started for a ton of teams. Who would Ryan Mallett start for?

Ryan Mallett's upside, in an absolute best case scenario, is something like Drew Bledsoe was in 2002...

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Sciz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Who would Ryan Mallett start for?
Well supposedly Daboll says that Mallett would have started for the Chiefs last season Laughing
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redsoxsrule1437 wrote:
Troy Brown wrote:
Ain't no one giving a second rounder for Ryan Mallett. I don't expect us to trade him but if we do, it'd probably be for a third or a fourth.

They won't trade him for anything less than a 2nd. They would just keep if him that were the case.

Thing is, most teams drafting in the late 2nd probably don't need a QB. I don't see a high-mid 2nd being likely - though I hope it's the case - so a 3rd might be the best they can do.

I think a 3rd for a backup QB who is unproven is a good deal. Though this year, a 3rd rounder is worth less than usual with the very weak crop of prospects
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Who would Ryan Mallett start for?

For which team would Geno Smith start? Ryan Mallet has upside nice upside, and can be had for a much lower price.
Nihc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In light of the Smith trade, I'd say that Mallet's value is a 2013 2nd rounder.

2013 Adopt-a-Patriot - Tommy Kelly
Tackles: 19 | Sacks: 1.5 | QB Hits: 5 | TFL: 1 | Fumble Recoveries: 1
Donut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nihc wrote:

I wouldn't have given more than a 5th for Smith Laughing Dumb move by a bad team.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's obviously really early in the offseason process, but at this point, I've been told the Patriots are not actively shopping quarterback Ryan Mallett for a trade.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/the_blitz/2013/02/hold_off_on_the_ryan_mallett_trade_talk_for_now
Troy Brown

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redsoxsrule1437 wrote:
Troy Brown wrote:

If they were actively trading him, I don't see how they'd get a 2nd for him. Like I said, I don't think they'll trade him but the Pats have had a ton of success with backup QBs recently. If they were trying to trade him, I have a hard time believing they'd hold his value that high.

the Charlie Whitehurst situation comes to mind.

ELRammy
Troy Brown

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nihc wrote:

How do you figure?

ELRammy
TomRalph

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Brown wrote:
Nihc wrote:

How do you figure?

I assume he means that some teams would be willing to pay for Mallett's ceiling as what the Chiefs paid for a known quantity in Smith.

Maybe I'm in the minority where when it comes to QB position, I either draft or trade for an elite prospect or I stay put and wait until I'm in that position.

If I were the Chiefs I'd have drafted 2 players with #1 and #34 then waited until next year when the QB class is better and I'd be in a position to draft a better prospect.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
Troy Brown wrote:
Nihc wrote:

How do you figure?

I assume he means that some teams would be willing to pay for Mallett's ceiling as what the Chiefs paid for a known quantity in Smith.

Maybe I'm in the minority where when it comes to QB position, I either draft or trade for an elite prospect or I stay put and wait until I'm in that position.

If I were the Chiefs I'd have drafted 2 players with #1 and #34 then waited until next year when the QB class is better and I'd be in a position to draft a better prospect.

Yep. Chiefs made a horribly desperate move with Smith. I mean, I do think he has a chance with Andy Reid, seeing how he's always had a good rapport with QBs. But it's a move that was way too risky to take.

Aite,

peace.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
Troy Brown wrote:
Nihc wrote:

How do you figure?

But from their point of view, #34 isn't a huge price to pay for a guy who (again, from their perspective) should be at least solid - if not above average.

Kansas City's roster isn't devoid of talent, it's just dysfunctional with a few big holes. Maybe with slightly above average QB play they can make a playoff run. Certainly we've seen QB's who have played far worse than 2011-2012 Alex Smith lead their teams to the playoffs and once you get there, who knows what can happen.

I don't think they could have gone this offseason without addressing the position, so they were stuck between a rock (Smith) and a hard place (reaching for a questionable rookie).

I guess I'm in the minority in thinking this was a pretty even deal - especially in this year's draft class. The last few guys to go 34:

Coby Fleener
Aaron Williams
Chris Cook
Pat Chung
Devin Thomas
Paul Pozluszny
D'Qwell Jackson
Brodney Pool
Chris Snee
Boss Bailey
DeShaun Foster
Quincy Morgan

That's a pretty good representation of early 2nd round picks. You get a couple of excellent long-time starters, a few decent short term guys and a lot of forgettable talent. Even if you think Alex Smith is no more than mediocre, he is better than almost all of those guys listed. Throw in a pretty awful draft year and I think it's a no-brainer win-win for both San Francisco and Kansas City.

I also value (maybe more than the average fan) the "culture of winning" aspect when bringing in a new coach and GM. I think it's better to go 8-8 with Smith and get creative to address the issue long-term than to go 1-15 and hope to snag a top QB prospect (and hope he doesn't bust) next year.
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was current Cards VP Jason Licht in NE when they drafted Mallett? Some links said he left in early 2011 and another in late 2010... Thx

The Rebuild Has Begun...
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
Was current Cards VP Jason Licht in NE when they drafted Mallett? Some links said he left in early 2011 and another in late 2010... Thx

Licht was with New England through May 2012. So yes, he was there when they drafted Mallett.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: