Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Completely hypothetical question: Upgrading OG's?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Draft both Warmack and Cooper - cost 2 x 1st RD + 2nd Rd
My elation would be exuberant
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
My indifference would be non nondescript
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
My disappointment would be grandiose
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 12

Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
I wouldn't be happy about it. Warmack and cooper would be great but not at the expense of next year. The only time it would make sense to do something like that is for a SB run. But with the holes on defense and the OL, I really don't see a SB run on the immediate horizon.

Similar idea I shared with HT - - Would you be fine drafting an OG this year in the 1st and an OG in the first next year?

sure. You know I'd be "fine" with it. My problem with giving up next years first this year is the inherent bust dilemma. Busts are inherent in the draft whether through injury or knuckleheads, drugs, etc. Its the Roy E Williams scenario. It may sound good at the time but there's the inherent unknown. Its tough to give up 3 premium resources for 2 players when there is an inherent risk that one of the 2 could bust/underperform.

Sure. I agree. I think the unspoken part of this equation that hasn't been mentioned though is that in this hypothetical scenario: Jerry is spending 3 premium picks on the O Line (even if he is only getting 2 players). I thought that alone would sway a lot of opinions.

Again, just curious as to how everyone else thinks.
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how saying JJ used 3 premium draft picks to get 2 players would sway anyone's position. If JJ used the team's first 2 picks in the draft to grab OL, I think most people would be ok with that. Dealing a future 1st-round pick to move up in the draft to grab a player at a position deep with prospects is poor asset management.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I was against the idea. I donít particularly enjoy giving up future picks. But then I took away the names and viewed it as follows: Would I trade 3 picks to land 2 players I really want? The answer is yes, I would. The draft is such a crap shot that the reality is you are going to get players that bust and players that simply are not any good. So you have to trust your scouting department. If they tell you these are must have players, and that the skill level translates best and is far and away the better talent Ė you do it.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStarStillShines wrote:
I'm not sure how saying JJ used 3 premium draft picks to get 2 players would sway anyone's position. If JJ used the team's first 2 picks in the draft to grab OL, I think most people would be ok with that. Dealing a future 1st-round pick to move up in the draft to grab a player at a position deep with prospects is poor asset management.

Because we have used 1 premium pick on an O-lineman in like 18 years....

Thought it would be pretty self explanatory. Wink
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As such, could me on the indifferent level. While I donít like moving future investments, I do believe in getting the players you want and hold in highest regard.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
TheStarStillShines wrote:

Because we have used 1 premium pick on an O-lineman in like 18 years....

Thought it would be pretty self explanatory. Wink

I know what you're getting at. I think most would be satisfied with just spending either 1st- or 2nd-round pick in this year's draft on an OL and then another mid-round.

We've seen this team trade away 1st-round picks (granted for veterans), and they didn't work out. And with some of the core guys getting older and a tight cap situation, it's important for the team to keep its top picks.

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a very bittersweet proposition for me. While we'd likely be improving the offensive line - and thus the entire offense - by leaps and bounds, the opportunity cost is huge considering Jadeveon Clowney will be in next year's draft. If that move places us in a position where Romo isn't running for his life on every play, helps Murray find running lanes and stay healthy, then we'd likely be a playoff team, out of the Clowney sweepstakes, and thus allow me reach a level of indifference. However, should we tank and thus lose the shot at Clowney, I'd be really upset.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
jimmyolsenblues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chance Warmack does not come in every draft.
If he is the best offensive lineman in the draft..Get him.
And then with what ever picks left. PICK ANOTHER OFFENSIVE LINEMAN.
Romo is running for his life.
If Romo couldn't dodge sacks , he would have been dead this season.
Our rushing offense in 2012 was one of the statically worse in cowboy history.

Go offensive line, and don't look back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: