Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offensive Line vs Tony Romo vs Team Economics
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Offensive Line vs Tony Romo vs Team Economics Reply with quote

For the TLDNR crowd, Jerry tells us what to expect regarding the OL this offseason (FYI this is not a critical examination of Jerry so feel free to keep reading).

Don't expect major changes to the OL. There may be one new player at G or C, but expect the "improvement" to come through scheme and coaching or players within the organization already. The reason there will not be wholesale change is team economics. Romo, Witten, Miles and Dez account for 30% of the salary cap in 2013. Jerry says that if there is going to be an "acceptable" deficiency on the team... it's best to have the deficiency on the OL due to Romo's ability to avoid pressure. That there is a conscious trade off in favor of skill players rather than protection.

For everyone else who is really interested in the current state of the cowboys affairs, here are Jerry's actual quotes (of course, this could be smoke screen but I really doubt it. Why? Because he admits the team will look add a guard/center type either through FA or the draft... in other words, it's not much of a smoke screen to make people think we will not draft OL when Jerry admits we will likely be serious about adding a G/C type).

First, here's what we should expect (according to Jerry)...

Quote:
We very likely through a combination of free agency or this draft get serious about another guard/center type.

Second, here's the cause of concern and his rationale behind the status quo...

Quote:
We do need to have improvement there, but I think we can get that offensive line with some of the stuff weíre going to do with our offense and coaching

Notice that Jerry is not talking about changing players... he's talking about scheme and coaching being a difference.

Quote:
But again Bill Callahan, I agree with him when he saw more positive and on the come as the year went on as he instituted his coaching. It did make a change and he did do it differently. There was an adjustment

This is probably the quote that scares me the most. Whatever improvement they saw at the end of the year... the net result was still a well below average OL. I really fear that Bill Callahan is more interested in job security than an honest assessment of his OL when he speaks of improvement. That being said, it really is secondary to the REAL ISSUE.

Now, here is the REAL ISSUE that I think we need to discuss as a forum...

Quote:
If youíre going to have a guyÖthat can handle a porous offensive line, itís Tony. Tony has some of the best percentages operating behind pressure situation of anyone in the NFL. If there were a place theoretically that you had to have a weakness with Tony Romo at quarterback, that might be a place to have it. You just canítí have it all.

BOOM. There it is. Because of the economics of Tony's salary, Miles salary, Witten's salary, and Dez's current and future salary, there will be shortfall somewhere. Those 4 players currently make up 30% of the 2013 salary cap.

And finally, this really drives it home...

Quote:
All Iím saying to you is Tony is outstanding at understanding why it is you canít have it all. He really understands that. Had he rather have a little less pressure and a little more receivers?

That's what I want to discuss from an intellectual/philosophic point of view... Would we rather dedicate substantial more resources into the offensive line at the expense of expensive WRs? expensive TE? Romo himself? Very rarely in the NFL do you find a team has all 3 (expensive OL, weapons, and QB). And, most important, is Jerry right Tony Romo's skill renders the offensive line an acceptable loss? If somebody doesn't understand the "acceptable loss" concept, I'd be happy to explain it more detail but it's pretty much self explanatory.

Of course, I've got some thoughts on the subject but I don't want to influence the discussion right out the gate.

And, yes, I DID just make a Jerry Jones thread without bashing him (yet Wink )
Kenny3000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's possible to have an inexpensive, good offensive line. a good offensive line and good skill players AREN'T mutually exclusive.

it comes down to (competent) college scouting so you don't have to pay the likes of livings and bernadeau and marco rivera and leonard davis and whoever huge money when a middle/late round pick would do just as well. although when jerry drafts o-linemen, he just culls the herd for the other teams.

i guess jerry doesn't take that into account?

if forced to choose, i would (and i'm sure romo would as well) rather have a great offensive line. why? because it also helps in the run game and wears out the defense.

it shouldn't be an acceptable loss. why settle?
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny3000 wrote:
it's possible to have an inexpensive, good offensive line. a good offensive line and good skill players AREN'T mutually exclusive.

it comes down to (competent) college scouting so you don't have to pay the likes of livings and bernadeau and marco rivera and leonard davis and whoever huge money when a middle/late round pick would do just as well. although when jerry drafts o-linemen, he just culls the herd for the other teams.

i guess jerry doesn't take that into account?

if forced to choose, i would (and i'm sure romo would as well) rather have a great offensive line. why? because it also helps in the run game and wears out the defense.

it shouldn't be an acceptable loss. why settle?

First, I agree with everything you just said. But, I get the impression that Jerry is saying Romo wanted the weapons rather than the protection. I'm not saying that is true, but I could see it being true. I could see Romo telling the organization he would rather have Austin and Witten long term (ie big contracts) at the expense of offensive line protection. In fact, I could see Romo telling the organization right now in his negotiations that he does not want to take less money on his deal to give the team extra money to secure additional OL help. Does that make a difference to you if that is what Romo WANTED???
Kenny3000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's what romo wanted, then i'd be confused. does he like having instant pressure up the middle 40% of his pass attempts? does he like being saddled with the worst rushing attack in the league?

why is romo forced to choose? why can't jerry just draft some - good offensive line.

second, why do you trust jerry is relaying correct information from romo? what's jerry going to say: "romo disagrees with nearly every decision i've made for the franchise since he became starting quarterback." no. he's going to stroke his ego.

i'm sure romo believes he can make it work with anyone if he's given the time/running game. witten, murray, austin, laurent, crayton, etc. weren't glamour acquisitions and they have proven (to an extent) to be perfectly capable.

if i were romo, i'd tell jerry i will refuse to re-sign unless three of the first four picks in the draft are offensive linemen. he holds all the power. i'd love to see jerry's surgically enhanced face when he doesn't have romo to cover up all of his shortcomings.
CT Cowboy Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so dumb that its gotta be smoke. I mean even Helen Keller knows that a great team is built in the trenches.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could believe it. I could see Romo being more exhausted with the constant poor or wrong routes - with always having to explain what is going on in a play after he calls it. I could believe that with his quick release and his mobility he'd rather have skilled position players and he will make due with whats in-front of him. That's a very destructive idea.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Northland

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great skill position players have not been able to overcome the terrible offensive line have they? Great individual stats, but ultimately the team fails. Invest in the o line. Become balanced not only in play calling but in execution as well.

I hope this is a smokescreen from Jerry.
matt79511

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it interesting how both DCRA and DCOA post articles with quotes that support their cases, and the other side either turns a blind eye or maintain that it's garbage. DCRA posts articles with Jerry saying he's happy with the OL as proof that he's delusional, while DCOA maintains that he would never bash his guys, he would never show his hand heading into FA and the draft. Meanwhile, DCOA posts articles with Jerry saying that Garrett makes all of the decisions on the coaching staff and roster as proof that there's no emasculation or authority issues, while DCRA maintains he's just saving face, he's lying.

I wish both sides would accept that these guys are trained in the art of being coy with the media, and that everything they say needs to be taken with a gallon of salt, but I doubt it

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
I find it interesting how both DCRA and DCOA post articles with quotes that support their cases, and the other side either turns a blind eye or maintain that it's garbage. DCRA posts articles with Jerry saying he's happy with the OL as proof that he's delusional, while DCOA maintains that he would never bash his guys, he would never show his hand heading into FA and the draft. Meanwhile, DCOA posts articles with Jerry saying that Garrett makes all of the decisions on the coaching staff and roster as proof that there's no emasculation or authority issues, while DCRA maintains he's just saving face, he's lying.

I wish both sides would accept that these guys are trained in the art of being coy with the media, and that everything they say needs to be taken with a gallon of salt, but I doubt it

Most of what Jerry says is not scripted, but just what he is thinking at that particular moment. Like saying over the weekend that he never took play calling duties away from Redball,

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT Cowboy Fan wrote:
This is so dumb that its gotta be smoke. I mean even Helen Keller knows that a great team is built in the trenches.

I don't think it is. I heard an interview on sirus NFL radio not to long ago where they talked about the disconnect between fans and teams. Basically that we all hate our olines. But there was another nugget that I thought was interesting. They said that often times QBs care more about skill positions than protections. They went on to list every QB they had interviewed that had said this..

it was almost all the good ones...

I think JJ is an idiot when you put a mic in front of him; he often shares unfiltered thoughts. I have contended all offseason that addressing 2 of the line spots would be sufficient... And still hope that the do so.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting when you go to the NFL Comp forum and do a "Who has the worst OL in the NFL" you get a slew of fan bases claiming the award, including some of the most recent SB Winners just prior or just after they won (Packers, Steelers, etc).

Sig courtesy of mack.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
It is interesting when you go to the NFL Comp forum and do a "Who has the worst OL in the NFL" you get a slew of fan bases claiming the award, including some of the most recent SB Winners just prior or just after they won (Packers, Steelers, etc).

The only things which can potentially help overcome a bad offensive line are an elite QB, a great defense, and great coaching. We don't have any of those.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

The only things which can potentially help overcome a bad offensive line are an elite QB, a great defense, and great coaching. We don't have any of those.

I think we have the pieces and the coaching to have a very good defense... If they can stay healthy!!

I dont think we will see a measurable offensive upswing until we have at least 2 new offensive linemen.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-NickEatman/Jones-Said-Cowboys-Can-Get-Under-Cap-Without-Romo-Deal-/a0ffd2d6-50a7-4d1c-aa30-62c68d82bcd1

Quote:
However, Jerry Jones said this weekend the Cowboys could still get under the cap without getting Romoís deal finalized before the March 12 deadline.

ďItís not necessarily you have to have Romo done before you make these other decisions,Ē Jones said. ďItís not necessarily so but it is what you want to do. But itís not what you have to do. Itís not all one in the same. But immediately for the March 12th time, we donít have to have any one (player) signed or redone.Ē

Interesting. I suppose this is hinting we'll be reworking a few deals.

^^^mack
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-NickEatman/Jones-Said-Cowboys-Can-Get-Under-Cap-Without-Romo-Deal-/a0ffd2d6-50a7-4d1c-aa30-62c68d82bcd1

Quote:
However, Jerry Jones said this weekend the Cowboys could still get under the cap without getting Romoís deal finalized before the March 12 deadline.

ďItís not necessarily you have to have Romo done before you make these other decisions,Ē Jones said. ďItís not necessarily so but it is what you want to do. But itís not what you have to do. Itís not all one in the same. But immediately for the March 12th time, we donít have to have any one (player) signed or redone.Ē

Interesting. I suppose this is hinting we'll be reworking a few deals.

To hell with reworking deals (i.e., restructuring contracts and thus giving more years and more guaranteed money to players as a means of lowing their current year's cap number). Either rip up their old deal for a new one or release the players and let them squander their careers elsewhere. We can't keep kicking the salary cap can down the road. Just take the lumps for one year and move on.

It's a simple approach, really. You call the player with the albatross contract into the office, tell him what his new contract will be, hand it to him, and tell him to sign it or be cut.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: