Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

CB strong interest for Niners?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuckyNiner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: CB strong interest for Niners? Reply with quote

Not sure if this was posted already but awfully curious on what you guys think?

From Yahoo’s Jason Cole:

Smith is going to get traded and probably sooner than later.

As San Francisco front-office representatives met with several agents to gauge the free-agent market on Friday at the NFL scouting combine, there was a common theme to their discussions.

Don’t worry, we’ll have plenty of money once we trade Smith. The 49ers spent much of the day checking with agents on the upcoming cornerback market, which will feature Aqib Talib, Leodis McKelvin, Greg Toler, Cary Williams, Sean Smith, Derek Cox, Quentin Jammer, Dominique Rogers-Cromartie and Michael Jenkins. Several of those players figure to cost in the area of $8 million to $9 million per year as the 49ers search for a No. 1 cornerback.
LuckyNiner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Thoughts? Reply with quote

Do you guys think we need help at CB? Also which CB would you like most from the above list?
EverythingSF

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is that if we are going to be signing a pricey free agent at CB, then Carlos Rodgers won't be in Red N' Gold next year

^Thanks to NS922

EverythingSF wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Alex's Mom?

Alex's High School Backup? Wink
DirtyJersey9er

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverythingSF wrote:
All I know is that if we are going to be signing a pricey free agent at CB, then Carlos Rodgers won't be in Red N' Gold next year

Or Rogers is going to S.

I have a new Sports Blog check it at:
http://buttfumblesports.wordpress.com/
EverythingSF

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
EverythingSF wrote:

Or Rogers is going to S.

I don't know. I will be honest in that I am not sure how good of a transition he would make to safety, but price wise that would make him an expensive safety wouldn't it?

^Thanks to NS922

EverythingSF wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Alex's Mom?

Alex's High School Backup? Wink
oldman9er

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts if Culliver was the one to move to FS and we slide Goldson to SS? Culliver played safety in his early days. Seems we have some flexibility in the draft, if we go this route... pretty nice bunch of safeties and corners in the draft.

Just because Alex departs, that doesn't mean we are loaded up with money to throw at a pricey FA... unless we are willing to let Goldson walk... then there's the NT situation.

___
NINERFAN_4_LIFE

Location: Buring the eternal flame Candlestick Park - you will always be in my heart
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
EverythingSF wrote:

Or Rogers is going to S.

that wouldnt be playing him to his strengths. I dont think he is a great fit for the slot tho either, but he is def the best guy we had at it, which is why we put him there. I still think he plays better on the outside but that both brown and cully have earned their stripes in my eyes so its tough to say who gets bumped.

I dont think we move any of our current cbs to S. I think we like what we have in cj spillman bc I remember him getting a really nice contract and he just seems to make plays when he is on the field. plus richardson really hasnt been given a chance yet.. I think we will also bring someone else in to compete with those guys so Im not too worried about our Ss. I do agree that witner got beat in coverage too many times this year, especially in the red zone, but I think some of that was scheme. hes not very tall so asking him to cover bigger receivers is dumb. too many times we left him on an island with the other teams best red zone threat. he should only be used to double someone in those situations. like take the outside or inside shoulder of a receiver/te while a guy like willis/carlos handles the other side. we were doing that during the NE game against welker in the middle of the field and it was working really really well. If we gave that type of attention to slot receivers all of the time we would never have any problems guarding them. Witner is a smart guy tho, Im sure he is trying to figure out why he kept getting beat in the redzone. maybe he just needs to come off the field in those situations. He is a really good, well rounded SS everywhere else on the field. good locker room guy too. I wouldnt want to cut him loose unless we had a legit replacement with huge upside ready and waiting.

Im hoping if we draft a corner (or two) that we get one with some height/length because of the trend towards bigger WRs recently (even though I can tell harbs likes smaller quicker wrs based off of who he recruited out of stanford and the speed we have added to our offense) and then someone who is quick and whose specialty is covering slot receivers (tyron matheu jumps out at me, im hoping we take a chance on him. worst case he doesnt make the final 53)

but yeah no way we spend money on a fa cb... we are operating solely through the draft in my eyes at this point. FA is just supposed to bolster rosters and plug holes fast but we are solid all around so anyone we could bring in as an upgrade would cost too much. I wonder if we will resign sop... im hoping so, for cheap. otherwise we have to find another NT. RJF is a 34 DE from what ive seen

^a seahawks fan in reference to 2013

FOREVER FAITHFUL
the niners lost the superbowl
FOREVER HATEFUL

SaveourSonics wrote:
Some Seattle fans are really getting out of hand.
49ersfan2152

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I think we could sign a CB especially a guy who may not get the deal he wants so sign for a reasonable deal long term or short. Mike Jenkins will be a guy who will likely get a 1 year prove it deal. Cary Williams wont get big money I dont think. Think he gets left in the cold. Only guy Id pay big money to is Talib. Not to big tho. Sean Smith I like but dont love an only would pay him if the deal was right not going overboard for him.

We could move Gholdson to SS an draft a FS because the FS class is very strong. We need a NT an there is good depth there this year so taking one at some point would be wise. DE is one of biggest needs tho if not biggest an defiantly the biggest concern imo because finding a good DE looks like it will be hard to do in this yeas draft unless Flloyd, Richardson or Star fall to us which is unlikely.

gridiorngreat thnk you for the sig

Favorite Teams
Redsox, 49ers, Celtics, Uconn BB, Bruins, LSU FB
FG21_PW52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wouldn't mind getting Revis on a one year rental. Maybe, MAYBE 2 years...

janky wrote:
Bridgewater won't be better than Brandon Weeden
NINERFAN_4_LIFE

Location: Buring the eternal flame Candlestick Park - you will always be in my heart
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FG21_PW52 wrote:
I really wouldn't mind getting Revis on a one year rental. Maybe, MAYBE 2 years...

I would love it and it would just make seatle games that much more interesting... PULL THE TRIGGER TRENT!! he would put our defense over the top for sure. it almost wouldnt be fair.

i hate the seacheaters so much... PLUCK THE SEAGULLS hahah michael robinson go rot in hell

^a seahawks fan in reference to 2013

FOREVER FAITHFUL
the niners lost the superbowl
FOREVER HATEFUL

SaveourSonics wrote:
Some Seattle fans are really getting out of hand.
sbrown

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was some talk on the radio that scrabble could get cut if he doesnt restructure his deal and could land back in the bay area with us on a small deal.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: CB strong interest for Niners? Reply with quote

LuckyNiner wrote:
Not sure if this was posted already but awfully curious on what you guys think?

From Yahoo’s Jason Cole:

Smith is going to get traded and probably sooner than later.

As San Francisco front-office representatives met with several agents to gauge the free-agent market on Friday at the NFL scouting combine, there was a common theme to their discussions.

Don’t worry, we’ll have plenty of money once we trade Smith. The 49ers spent much of the day checking with agents on the upcoming cornerback market, which will feature Aqib Talib, Leodis McKelvin, Greg Toler, Cary Williams, Sean Smith, Derek Cox, Quentin Jammer, Dominique Rogers-Cromartie and Michael Jenkins. Several of those players figure to cost in the area of $8 million to $9 million per year as the 49ers search for a No. 1 cornerback.

Well Rodgers is on the books for $8 million in 2014 and $9 million in 2015. So we can afford that much. The question is whether they is anyone better than him available for the same price.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
EverythingSF wrote:

Or Rogers is going to S.

But he's on the books for more than it would take to sign Goldson. That doesn't make any financial sense. I think we've got to get a top safety out of this class. And we've got the picks to make that happen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Jenkins anyone? The guy was one of the best before he got hurt and just hasn't seemed right since. I think a change of scenery and a long term contract will get his mind right and get him back to the Pro Bowl. I'd be willing to give him 5 years for about 35 mil. Can't be worse than Rogers.
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDNiners wrote:
Mike Jenkins anyone? The guy was one of the best before he got hurt and just hasn't seemed right since. I think a change of scenery and a long term contract will get his mind right and get him back to the Pro Bowl. I'd be willing to give him 5 years for about 35 mil. Can't be worse than Rogers.

What team were you watching last year? Rogers played well there arent many FAs out there i'd want over him Jenkins isnt one of them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: