Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How to Fix the Secondary Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnyEagles

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: How to Fix the Secondary Thread Reply with quote

I took this idea out of the offseason thread with all of the talk going on there, so I thought it would be fun to hear everyone's ideas on the perfect secondary for the Eagles 2013-14 season.

Who will be the corners? Where will the Eagles get them? How?

Safeties? Who stays? Who goes?

With the new 3-4, how will it affect the secondary?

So, I will start with my idea, which many of you will probably disagree with:

Sean Smith Louis Delmas William Moore DRC

Sean Smith will cost money, but hes tall and the height should be the focus of this new secondary. Smith with proper motivation will prove to be good. Delmas is underrated and is solid at Free Safety. William Moore is up and coming. DRC will have a bounce back year. He had NO safety help, switching of DC in the middle of the season, and not much to play for near the end. Nnamdi got blatently burnt all year.....

That is my opinion, lets hear yours... Very Happy
Hammertime52

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While that secondary may be pretty good, its a pipe dream. We cant go full dream team again, need to groom some talent of our own. Also hitting on some draft picks would be nice.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, perhaps a corner in the second like Poyer, Rhodes (if he slips), and Mathieu.
miles2626

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to me, that's a nice secondary, but too many new pieces again...i like keeping DRC for some reason and i'm even willing to give nate allen one more shot...i wouldn't be mad at milliner or a CB in the 2nd and i'd really like to see amerson in the 3rd to play safety especially if allen continues to struggle...

^props to Kiltman on the sig

Shady, Mac, 'n Jack...CAN YOU DIG IT??
AZ_Eaglesfan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Eagles should look at Robert Alford and Matt Elam. Probably could get them in the 2nd/3rd and they could both be very good. Boykin could start at one corner while we signed someone like Derek Cox or Sean Smith to start opposite of him. That would allow Alford to get used to the NFL and give Boykin a chance at improving. Matt Elam would be a starter, and we would probably draft another safety in later rounds as more of a project. Yes, this secondary would be weak, but if we were able to get a decent safety such as Moore in free agency, we would have a lot of young high ceiling guys. Thats never a bad thing when your secondary was as pitiful as ours was last year.
JohnyEagles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:
I think the Eagles should look at Robert Alford and Matt Elam. Probably could get them in the 2nd/3rd and they could both be very good. Boykin could start at one corner while we signed someone like Derek Cox or Sean Smith to start opposite of him. That would allow Alford to get used to the NFL and give Boykin a chance at improving. Matt Elam would be a starter, and we would probably draft another safety in later rounds as more of a project. Yes, this secondary would be weak, but if we were able to get a decent safety such as Moore in free agency, we would have a lot of young high ceiling guys. Thats never a bad thing when your secondary was as pitiful as ours was last year.

See I disagree with putting Boykin on the outside. He's excelled as a slot corner and did well there last year. Eagles need tall, fast corner on the outside to guard guys like Megtatron, Julio Jones, and Dez....

I would love this secondary to be just like Seattle's, the legion of boom!!!!
AZ_Eaglesfan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnyEagles wrote:
AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:

See I disagree with putting Boykin on the outside. He's excelled as a slot corner and did well there last year. Eagles need tall, fast corner on the outside to guard guys like Megtatron, Julio Jones, and Dez....

As nice as tall corners sound, there just aren't that many of them. It's very unlikely that any secondary will be even close to as tall as Seattle's in the upcoming years. Also, the reason I want to try Boykin on the outside is because he was so good in the slot. He could start on the outside, allowing us to see just how high his ceiling is, and he could then move inside when Alford came on the field in longer passing situations. It makes sense to see what Boykin has IMO.
JohnyEagles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:
JohnyEagles wrote:
AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:

As nice as tall corners sound, there just aren't that many of them. It's very unlikely that any secondary will be even close to as tall as Seattle's in the upcoming years. Also, the reason I want to try Boykin on the outside is because he was so good in the slot. He could start on the outside, allowing us to see just how high his ceiling is, and he could then move inside when Alford came on the field in longer passing situations. It makes sense to see what Boykin has IMO.

There are many tall corners available!: Sean Smith, Derek Cox, Woodson, DRC.....plus this draft has alteast 5 that are over 6'0. Proper safety help is needed to make the secondary successful.

Well, if they put Boykin on the outside and he gets burnt, how do you think that is gonna fare with his confidence?
EaglesFan5-36-81

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the players to play 50% or more of the snaps Boykin stays, and thats it.

How to fix it? Well, in my opinion you sign a free agent corner and safety, and add a corner and safety in the draft. Ideally in the 2nd-4th round area, as thats where the talent is in this class. If we go with Sean Smith and Patrick Chung in free agency to play LCB and SS respectively and we want longer corners on the outside than Jonathan Banks (if he falls to round 2) or Blidi Wreh-Wilson in the 2nd-3rd would be very good options, and at safety take Baccari Rambo or Tony Jefferson in that 3rd-4th round area.

Ideally I would say 3rd take Wreh-Wilson since I think its more likely Wreh-Wilson falls to the 3rd than it is Banks falling to the 2nd. Then in the 4th take Baccari Rambo, who I think will fall due to the off-field issues and the talent in this safety class. You then have a secondary of

LCB : Smith
NB : Boykin
SS : Chung
FS : Rambo
RCB : Wreh-Wilson

Which gives you options in terms of coverages and in run support. It would take its lumps with the youth at RCB and FS, but sometimes the best way for a young player to improve is through playing through bad times. Both are talented guys who I think could pull through.

As far as how it effects our front 7, typically nose tackles in the 3-4 can be found later on in the draft. We can add a cheap veteran (Sione Pouha) who can play until a draftee in the mid to late rounds (Kwame Geathers) is ready to get on the field. If we run the hybrid scheme being talked about, Sammie Lee Hill would be another solid addition to the team to play the 5-technique Red Bryant role, and I think he could do it more effectively than Bryant, and thats not a slight at Bryant, just how good Hill has been with limited reps behind a deep interior in Detroit. We would need a SAM, which is why I love Dion Jordan in the first, perfect fit for that position.

Strongside Linebacker : Dion Jordan
5 technique : Sammie Lee Hill
Middle Linebacker : DeMeco Ryans
0 Technique : Sione Pouha / Kwame Geathers
Weakside Linebacker : Mychal Kendricks
3 Technique : Fletcher Cox
Predator : Trent Cole / Brandon Graham

Its a talented and young defense with potential to grow together with the exception of Ryans (Cole's replacement could be Graham as the Predator, Geathers is Pouha's replacement).

Birdwatch: Mychal Kendricks
TCK:10 TFL:1 SCK:0 INT:0 FF:0 FR:1

Last edited by EaglesFan5-36-81 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:59 am; edited 1 time in total
JohnyEagles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:

How to fix it? Well, in my opinion you sign a free agent corner and safety, and add a corner and safety in the draft. Ideally in the 2nd-4th round area, as thats where the talent is in this class. If we go with Sean Smith and Patrick Chung in free agency to play LCB and SS respectively and we want longer corners on the outside than Jonathan Banks (if he falls to round 2) or Blidi Wreh-Wilson in the 2nd-3rd would be very good options, and at safety take Baccari Rambo or Tony Jefferson in that 3rd-4th round area.

Ideally I would say 3rd take Wreh-Wilson since I think its more likely Wreh-Wilson falls to the 3rd than it is Banks falling to the 2nd. Then in the 4th take Baccari Rambo, who I think will fall due to the off-field issues and the talent in this safety class. You then have a secondary of

LCB : Clemons

Which gives you options in terms of coverages and in run support. It would take its lumps with the youth at RCB and FS, but sometimes the best way for a young player to improve is through playing through bad times. Both are talented guys who I think could pull through.

As far as how it effects our front 7, typically nose tackles in the 3-4 can be found later on in the draft. We can add a cheap veteran (Sione Pouha) who can play until a draftee in the mid to late rounds (Kwame Geathers) is ready to get on the field. If we run the hybrid scheme being talked about, Sammie Lee Hill would be another solid addition to the team to play the 5-technique Red Bryant role, and I think he could do it more effectively than Bryant, and thats not a slight at Bryant, just how good Hill has been with limited reps behind a deep interior in Detroit. We would need a SAM, which is why I love Dion Jordan in the first, perfect fit for that position.

Its a talented and young defense with potential to grow together with the exception of Ryans (Cole's replacement could be Graham as the Predator, Geathers is Pouha's replacement).

If Banks some how slipped to the second, he is the only one I would feel safe with starting as a rookie other than Milliner....Not a big fan of Patrick Chung...
Th@Bird$

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the talent on the roster I want Boykin to stay inside at Nickel, he seemed fine there last year. On the outside we should prob. retain one of the two starters, DRC preferably assuming the price is right to keep him. After that I think you have to draft a corner in the 2nd rd where I think you can grab a big and physically imposing corner to play opposite of DRC. Maybe one of the names people mentioned above such as Banks, Rhodes, or Poyer. Whoever the best CB available with the physical talent were looking for. As for safety we need to sign at least one vet and draft 1-2 safeties, one project high ceiling hard hitter and a solid starter from day one. I wouldn't mind Elam, Cyprien, Swearinger, Reid, or any top safety in this draft rd 2/3. I know most people wouldn't like Milliner in the first but in my dream world our secondary would take on a total overhaul- which is highly unlikely. So we'll prob welcome back two starters. Nate Allen and one of the corners prob. Nnamdi.
Hammertime52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypothetically, lets say Smith and DRC want the same amount of money, and we can have on of them, id want Smith.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Th@Bird$ wrote:
Looking at the talent on the roster I want Boykin to stay inside at Nickel, he seemed fine there last year. On the outside we should prob. retain one of the two starters, DRC preferably assuming the price is right to keep him. After that I think you have to draft a corner in the 2nd rd where I think you can grab a big and physically imposing corner to play opposite of DRC. Maybe one of the names people mentioned above such as Banks, Rhodes, or Poyer. Whoever the best CB available with the physical talent were looking for. As for safety we need to sign at least one vet and draft 1-2 safeties, one project high ceiling hard hitter and a solid starter from day one. I wouldn't mind Elam, Cyprien, Swearinger, Reid, or any top safety in this draft rd 2/3. I know most people wouldn't like Milliner in the first but in my dream world our secondary would take on a total overhaul- which is highly unlikely. So we'll prob welcome back two starters. Nate Allen and one of the corners prob. Nnamdi.

I think Nate Allen blows and doesnt care about football. He plays with no passion.....am I wrong?
EaglesFan5-36-81

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnyEagles wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:

LCB : Clemons

If Banks some how slipped to the second, he is the only one I would feel safe with starting as a rookie other than Milliner....Not a big fan of Patrick Chung...

Milliner is overrated IMO, and Wreh-Wilson can play right away, he's a good football player.

Outside of this year Chung was a pro bowl caliber safety when healthy, which he wasn't this season. He's an upgrade over what we have, has a connection to Kelly, and if used as a rover type he could be very effective like he was in the past. He's an upgrade and outside of Quin, who I think goes back to Houston, he's the best and most reliable guy who is going to hit the market, and don't say Delmas because he's the Michael Vick of safeties as far as injuries go I have Bob Sanders concerns about him.

Birdwatch: Mychal Kendricks
TCK:10 TFL:1 SCK:0 INT:0 FF:0 FR:1

Last edited by EaglesFan5-36-81 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sign a FA S and CB and then I draft a CB and S.

FA: Glover Quin and Derek Cox

Draft: Poyer and Duke Williams

LCB: Cox
FS: Quin
SS; Williams
RCB: Poyer

Thanks Kilty
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Was the dog eating the child?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: