Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Are the Redskins becoming more of a Virginia based team?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where do you live?
Washington, DC
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Maryland
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Virginia
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
Other State
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other Country
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

KERRAKPO9891

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Are the Redskins becoming more of a Virginia based team? Reply with quote

With the news that the Redskins will be keeping their corporate headquarters in Ashburn, VA and will be moving their training camp to Richmond, VA starting next season, are the Redskins becoming more of a Virginia based team as opposed to a DC or Maryland team? The Governor of Virginia Bob McDonnell and the Mayor of Richmond, VA Dwight Jones seem to think just that...

http://www.wtop.com/41/2707175/DC-vs-Va---A-battle-over-the-Redskins

D.C. vs. Va. - A battle over the Redskins?
WASHINGTON - Mayor Vincent Gray has made no bones about wanting the Washington Redskins to be more closely attached to D.C.

And now a politician in Loudoun County is reacting.

County Supervisor Shawn Williams wrote a letter to Redskins owner Dan Snyder last week thanking him for continuing to keep the Redskins practice facility in Ashburn.

Williams also re-opened the possibility of building a Redskins hall of fame in Loudoun. The Loudoun County Board of Supervisors had previously rejected a similar proposal because of concerns about the use of taxpayer money on the project.

Gray, speaking on WTOP's "Ask the Mayor" program in November, said "we have had discussions with people who are associated with the team."

He said they would like to have the Redskins' training facility in D.C.

At an event last week, Va. Gov. Bob McDonnell couldn't resist taking a jab about the Redskins practicing in Virginia, when he said to Gray, "I didn't wear my Virginia Redskins jacket."

McDonnell was remarking on Md. Gov. Martin O'Malley wearing a Baltimore Ravens jacket in support of that team's making the playoffs.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2011/02/virginia_celebrates_the_redski.html

"Not only is [Redskins football] marvelous entertainment, not only do we live and die with that Sunday afternoon Redskins game, but we also understand what you bring to the Commonwealth of Virginia," McDonnell said, via Redskins.com. "We know you have a D.C. link, we know you play on Sundays in Maryland, but we know you spend most of your time in Ashburn, Virginia. We're very grateful and excited about that."

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/BREAKING-Redskins-To-Stay-In-Virginia/3dd4cf2e-de30-4414-9398-2497965fe2fa

Speaking about Virginia’s successful effort to retain Redskins corporate headquarters, and the accompanying expansion of the team’s training facility, as well as the Redskins decision to further the team’s relationship with the Commonwealth by making plans to relocate its annual summer training camp in Richmond starting in 2013, Governor McDonnell noted, “Virginia considers the Redskins our team. The team is based here. The team trains here. The players live here. Virginians root for the Redskins on the field, and off the field the team contributes greatly to the economy and culture of the Commonwealth. Virginia is committed to keeping the Redskins right here in our state for years to come, and today we’ve taken a significant step towards accomplishing that goal. This is a positive and exciting development for football fans from Loudoun County to Richmond to Virginia Beach. It will mean more jobs in our state, and more revenue for state and local coffers. More than anything, it means Virginia will remain ‘Redskins Country.’ In the years ahead I look forward to visiting the new expanded training facility in Loudoun County, and watching the team practice right here in our state capital of Richmond.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/richmond-mayor-says-redskins-want-to-be-a-virginia-team/2012/06/08/gJQAQjOvNV_blog.html

“We’ve actually been in contact with them for quite some time,” Dwight Jones said on Richmond’s ESPN 950. “And actually, the coach really wanted to expand the footprint of the team. They really want to be a Virginia team, and so they really kind of pushed this thing along, even to the point of not having an exact location. They’re signed on for eight years. They have some very specific requirements. We’re gonna meet ‘em. We’re gonna make it happen.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66vT6OGEjMY Virginia Governor Bob McDonell and Richmond, VA Mayor Dwight Jones press conference to announce Virginia deal with the Redskins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0YpY9uIXDM Richmond, VA is Redskins Country.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_606w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2012/08/04/Sports/Images/spskinsfanday2a1_1344110880.jpg Virginia Redskins

Richmond Training Center Construction Begins
Leaders from the City of Richmond, Bon Secours Virginia Health System and the Washington Redskins broke ground on the Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center Thursday.
http://www.redskins.com/media-gallery/videos/Richmond_Training_Center_Construction_Begins/9d2aa302-b541-41d6-8e2b-826de04365ac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKwnEZB1r-4 Virginia Day 1960 in Redskins Stadium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8_AOZY18N4 Virginia Day 1961 in Redskins Stadium

http://blog.redskins.com/2012/05/22/80th-anniversary-tour-kicks-off-thursday/

Other planned destinations for the Redskins’ 80th Anniversary Bus Tour include:
- May 25: Shenandoah County, Va. (Strasburg High School, Central High School, Stonewall Jackson High School and the Shenandoah County Relay for Life);
- June 2: Virginia Beach, Va., and Williamsburg, Va.;
- June 7: Portsmouth, Va. (Virginia Sports Hall of Fame Reception);
- June 8: Norfolk, Va., and Chantilly, Va. (VHSL Group AAA Spring Jubilee);
- June 9: Richmond, Va.;
- June 16: Falls Church, Va. (State Elks Convention);
- June 21: Harrisonburg, Va. (State Eagles Convention);
- July 4: Washington, D.C.; and
- July 20: Roanoke, Va. (Subway Commonwealth Games)

http://washingtonexaminer.com/rick-snider-not-too-soon-for-redskins-to-consider-new-home/article/2521862

So what's Plan B? Virginia couldn't complete a deal with Cooke in 1992 despite a news conference at Potomac Yards. Richmond lawmakers aren't keen on spending money for a stadium on its border with Washington as the team's name. However, the team's relocation of training camp to Richmond beginning this summer will soften opposition should it remain in the Virginia capital past the 2020 deal.

Potomac Yards is no longer viable, but sources said there are available sites if a deal is made in coming years.

http://cippinonsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/nfl-fan-map.jpg Virginia is Redskins Country

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md28hmMjam1rcl4bvo1_1280.jpg NFL TV market map
KERRAKPO9891

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per Taylor36 over at EXTREMESKINS

They already are. My brother-in-law, who works for Jim Cheng, the Secretary of Commerce for the Commonwealth, told me around Christmas that Virginia has already put together a delegation to work with Snyder and his top brass to get them to build their stadium within the borders of the Virginia (the exact location is still one factor being negotiated). Supposedly, a lot of ground work has been laid already, and verbally behind closed doors, most of a deal has already been done. I guess there are a few factors/issues that need to be ironed out (like location) before stuff starts to move towards paper, and he said some of that will not be cleared up until after November 5 of this year, the date of the VA gubernatorial election. Also, there is a leasing issue that the team has to take care of. But, he said that the thought is a deal could be reach and construction started that may take several years to complete (no need to rush) and could allow for an easy (cheaper) contract breach on the Redskins part.
PARROTHEAD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went other country.
Trinidad baby! We holds down Redskin Nation!

Trinidad: Where you can play dodgeball, jump off a diving board, and call a team the Redskins without the Communist Left sayin otherwise.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the redskins are more of a regional team than one state specific. (DMV- DC metro area)They also have a lot of fans in several states- Va, WVA, Carolina, Md and DC.

I would say most of their fans are from NO-VA though. Like don't go there. It sucks! Laughing Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Redskins24-7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still willing to wager I'm the only one on this forum from Calvert County, MD. Relating to the thread title, I have to agree that the Redskins are becoming a VA-based team. Hell, the team sponsors the VA lottery. Let yourself play! Laughing
Roy Helu, Jr: 16 GP, 62 rushes, 274 yards, 4 TDs; 31 catches, 251 yards
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Turtle about it being a more regional team. I disagree about NoVa sucking though. Would rather be anywhere in NoVa than anywhere in PG or Montgomery County. This is of course my personal preference, "your mileage may vary" Laughing

One thing I'll also agree is that most of the fans are from NoVa. I think the reason for that is that for Virginians we don't have another NFL team in our state (ahem - Ravens) competing for loyalty. Don't misunderstand, there are fans of every team in NoVa. I just think it thins out the concentration of fans for a specific team when there is an NFL team nearby. And since the Redskins were the only team around for decades, NoVa and MD fans grew. But since the introduction of the Ravens, this has tended to prevent young kids from growing up as Redskins fans and instead they root for the "home team" instead. Virginians have no such "tugs" on our loyalty.

BTW - Would LOVE for the team to come here, but I don't think it will. MY guess is that Danny extorts the MD gov't for enough money to help build a new stadium in MD. But I'm hoping a NoVa stadium comes.

P.S. - Woz, on the subject of the stadium, we discussed this a bit and yes, that was the spot on the Greenway that I was thinking of. I'm not sure of the regulations for a stadium close to an airport. But can anyone tell me how close other stadiums are to nearby airports? I know the Giants/Jets stadium is not too far away from Newark Airport. Anyone else know of stadiums close to airports?

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
KERRAKPO9891

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who here would like to see the Redskins build their next stadium in Virginia?
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KERRAKPO9891 wrote:
i think they should be in DC and revitalize the area around where rfk is, just like Verizon center did for downtown and Nats park is for south east, right down from Capitol Hill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
KERRAKPO9891

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
KERRAKPO9891 wrote:
i think they should be in DC and revitalize the area around where rfk is, just like Verizon center did for downtown and Nats park is for south east, right down from Capitol Hill

Just curious, you stay in DC, Maryland, or VA?
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KERRAKPO9891 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
KERRAKPO9891 wrote:

live in Maryland, 10 minutes from Snyder and Leonsis' houses along the Potomac in Potomac Md.

My office for work is in Virginia but with my job, I'm in DC the most.
KERRAKPO9891

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
KERRAKPO9891 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
KERRAKPO9891 wrote:

live in Maryland, 10 minutes from Snyder and Leonsis' houses along the Potomac in Potomac Md.

Cool, I see it depends on the hour as where exactly you are. Very Happy
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KERRAKPO9891 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
KERRAKPO9891 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
KERRAKPO9891 wrote:

not for me. Hell I'd love the redskins in Germantown or Gaithersburg MD but I know that's not really good for the team or the entire fan base.

I'm not selfish like Virginia fans.
KERRAKPO9891

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
KERRAKPO9891 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
KERRAKPO9891 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
KERRAKPO9891 wrote:

not for me. Hell I'd love the redskins in Germantown or Gaithersburg MD but I know that's not really good for the team or the entire fan base.

?

I was referring to your avatar, your location depending on the hour.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KERRAKPO9891 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
KERRAKPO9891 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
KERRAKPO9891 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
KERRAKPO9891 wrote:

?

yeah, I figured that but I was commenting on the topic also.
KERRAKPO9891

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
KERRAKPO9891 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
KERRAKPO9891 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
KERRAKPO9891 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
KERRAKPO9891 wrote:

?

yeah, I figured that but I was commenting on the topic also.

I see.

Well, as far as us Virginia fans, or at least for me, I would like to see a pro sports team playing within our borders. Maryland has pro sports teams playing in the state, DC has pro sports teams playing within its borders, I would like to see the Redskins playing in VA. Call me selfish, but that's just the way I see it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_sports_teams_in_Virginia

. Virginia is by far the most populous U.S. state without a major professional sports league franchise playing within its borders, although three of the major-league teams representing Washington, D.C.—the NFL's Washington Redskins, Major-League Baseball's Washington Nationals, and NHL's Washington Capitals—have their practice facilities and operational headquarters in Northern Virginia.

There have been proposals to locate stadiums for Washington teams in Northern Virginia or to locate teams in the Hampton Roads metro area surrounding Norfolk, but none have come to fruition. When Jack Kent Cooke decided to build a replacement for the aging RFK Stadium as home of the Washington Redskins, he considered a site in Alexandria until public opposition developed. An attempt to bring a National Hockey League expansion franchise to Norfolk in the 1990s was rejected by the NHL. The Houston Astros were nearly sold and relocated to Northern Virginia in 1996, but Major League Baseball owners stepped in and scuttled the proposed transaction in order to give Houston time to approve a new stadium deal. A proposal to relocate the Montreal Expos to Norfolk was considered by Major League Baseball in 2004. MLB had also considered a site near Washington Dulles International Airport in Loudoun County as a possible new home for the Expos. However, a reluctance by state officials to dedicate funds to the project along with concern about traffic helped lead MLB to select Washington as the Expos' new home. The ownership of the Florida Marlins had mentioned Norfolk as one of the cities to which it could relocate the team, but the Marlins will now remain in South Florida for the foreseeable future since they will get a new park in Miami in 2012.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: