Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hokie Mock 1.0
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hokie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Hokie Mock 1.0 Reply with quote

I honestly think mocks are too tough to do before free agency due to not knowing what holes will be filled (and created) during the free agency process. But I'll give it a shot anyway. This mock assumes we re-sign our own guys (Smith, Johnson) and don't get an instant starter via free agency.

1- Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame

I know a lot of Bengal fans won't like this pick. "He's from Notre Dame and they're overrated and Te'o had a fake girlfriend, blah blah blah." Look at things objectively. Te'o was the anchor of an outstanding Irish defense this season, and I know Te'o played poorly in the title game. If you want to judge a player based on one game and ignore the other 50ish games throughout his career, go ahead; I won't. He's a sure tackler, has a high football IQ, can cover TEs, a great locker room presence, and a leader on and off the field. He can play inside or if Burifict moves to the middle, he can play strongside. Considering his talent and the Bengals need at LB, this is a home run, IMO.

2A- Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee

Hunter is one of my favorite prospects in the draft. Perfect combination of size (6'4) and speed (4.44 40). Gives Dalton a legitimate outside threat he can go to besides Green (Sanu is more suited for the slot). He's a bit raw and could add some strength, but he has all the physical tools to be a great WR in this league. If Dalton is indeed the franchise QB, he needs all the weapons he can get. He'd love this pick.

2B- D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina

We've needed another safety to go with Nelson for, well, pretty much since we acquired him. Last year's draft class was horrible for safeties, but this one is very good. I like Matt Elam more, but I don't expect him to be available at this point. Swearinger is a very physical safety who plays with a mean streak. Was the captain of a very good South Carolina, and played multiple positions in college. Doesn't have great speed but is a great fit for SS in Zimmer's defense. Would start from Day 1.

3- Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina

Yeah I know, this pick is very risky. With his risk however, comes the potential for high reward. Lattimore was considered to be the best back in this class before another gruesome knee injury, but by all accounts, he's making outstanding progress in his rehab. Some even think he'll be able to contribute in 2013. He has good size, extremely quick feet, and is a capable pass blocker. Durability is obviously a huge red flag with him, but the potential reward is worth the risk for this spot, IMO.

4- Gerald Hodges, LB, Penn St.

Originally a safety but converted to LB, Hodges is still growing into his frame. His best trait is his coverage ability. There's a decent chance he won't be available here in the 4th round. He represents an upgrade to most of our backup LBs at the moment right now, and can grow into a starter in time. Could become a valuable contributor in the nickel package due to his coverage abilities.

5- Joe Kruger, DE, Utah

Younger brother of Ravens Paul Kruger. Kruger is athletic and has very impressive size (6'6, 270). Good bull rusher and gives forth good effort. May be a better fit for the 3-4, but I like his size too much to pass up here in the 5th. Could become a regular contributor in time, but I wouldn't expect much from him in year 1.

6A- J.C. Tretter, OL, Cornell

He went to Cornell, so he's obviously smart. Doesn't have much experience and played against weak competition, but has upside. Will likely need to play inside to cut it in the NFL, which is fine, considering the problems the Bengals have had there.

6B- Cierre Wood, RB, Notre Dame

Wood may or may not be here in the 6th round. Could go as high as the 4th, may go undrafted. A wildcard, so to speak. Wood has good size and has a good frame. Had adequate speed, but isn't a burner. Has great vision and is willing to take on contact. Shifty. Didn't play up to his potential at times in college. I'm not crazy on the idea of drafting two RBs, but Lattimore is unlikely to be ready to go at the start of the season.

Well, there is an early mock. Like I said, these things are much easier to do after free agency. I would have liked to have taken a OL earlier, and Lattimore is obviously a huge boom/bust pick, but I'd be very comfortable with this draft if it came out this way. I'd be thrilled with the first three picks especially.

But you may not agree. Rip it apart and fire away. Very Happy
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of Teo. He is this years version of Rey. He doesn't get off blocks well and is slower. We need speed on our defense and he is not that. I like Hunter and Swearinger along with Lattimore. But I hate that we do not get a speed back. Overall it is ok. But I do not love it

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
Hokie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
Not a fan of Teo. He is this years version of Rey. He doesn't get off blocks well and is slower. We need speed on our defense and he is not that. I like Hunter and Swearinger along with Lattimore. But I hate that we do not get a speed back. Overall it is ok. But I do not love it

Would you say he's this year's version of Rey if Te'o wasn't Polynesian? I just think it's a poor comparison. Te'o is much better in pass coverage than Maualuga ever thought about being (he had 7 INTs and 4 pass breakups last season) and he definitely isn't slower. I'm very curious to see how he performs in the 40 tomorrow, but I'd be very surprised if it's slower than the 4.78 Maualuga ran at the combine. I personally think Rey is lazy and isn't a hard worker. Don't have to worry about that with Te'o.

I agree that speed is a good thing, but I'm not afraid of drafting Te'o because Maualuga didn't work out. There's been plenty of LBs who weren't burners and have had success (Urlacher, for instance). They can't all be Patrick Willis.

I knew Te'o wouldn't be a popular pick on here though. I know you won't be the only one who doesn't like it. Smile
ark23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be ecstatic if this was the Bengals draft come april. The picks from rounds 2-6 are pretty stellar in my opinion.

What I see in Te'o is a thumper who gets downhill well in the run game, closes well and has a high football IQ. He's a late one/early two guy for me, has largely been in that area throughout. But my qualm with him is the coverage. Rey was incredibly frustrating but I continue to maintain our biggest issue in the LB group is poor coverage. Taze struggles in coverage, Rey was absolutely pitiful. Te'o is physical, does a pretty good job preventing TE's from crossing his face and he reads the QBs eyes fairly well but he's a tight hipped player who doesn't move well laterally. He's not really comfortable playing in space and I think he'll struggle in coverage. I wouldn't compare him to Maualuga, but I certainly don't think he compares to many of the LB's in this class in coverage.

My biggest issue with Manti is that he would have to come off the field in nickel, making him basically a two down (or less) LB in today's NFL. Not sure that's worth a first rounder.

Hunter I love. Freak athlete, great vertical threat. He and A.J. on the outside would be scary for opposing defenses. I do have concerns with his hands, he doesn't always extend away from his frame and it leads to drops. Rounds off routes too, but he can win so many 50/50 balls for you and has explosive athletic ability. Wouldn't take him in round one, but round two I'd snap him up.

Swearinger I really like. Such a physical guy who can line up all over and compliments Nelson very well.

Lattimore is worth the risk. I like that he can be a quality third down back too, soft hands. Don't think he'll go in the third round but I seriously would want nothing more than for him to be successful. Talented player.

Hodges came into the combine at 243 which is big for him (literally and figuratively). Love his fluidity on the outside and he's great fit at WLB. Would certainly be quality nickel player in the NFL.

Kruger doesn't get a lot of credit, certainly overshadowed by Lotulelei. I don't think he should have come out early, but I think he could be a versatile player for us who could kick inside to DT on passing downs at times. Long (34 3/8'' arms) and I think he has good burst of the LOS with the ability to transfer speed to power. Don't think he will be available in round five, but if he is I'd love the pick.

Tretter is a hard nosed player, underrated athlete with pretty good feet. I'd feel comfortable with him as our fourth OG. I really like Wood, think he'll be one of the steals in this draft. Love his lower body strength, great burst/first step and maybe not elite top end speed but he has enough speed to get the edge and the fluidity to change directions well. His ten yard split today was 1.53 which is an impressive number and one that is more important than his actual 40 time (4.56) if you ask me.

I think it hits on all our needs and provides good value. Really good draft if you ask me.
Hokie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the feedback, ark.

I've grown up a Notre Dame fan and watch all of their games. You described Te'o and our linebacker situation very well. Te'o definitely isn't great in coverage but like you said, he's better than Rey. Doesn't say much considering there's probably some on this board better than Rey, but that's besides the point... anyway, that's the only reservation I have about taking Te'o at 21. I share your concerns about him only being a 2 down player. I've given him the benefit of the doubt due to his work ethic. I have the upmost confidence that Te'o will bust his butt in the off-season over his career, and that will help overcome his shortcomings. But given how the game is changing and linebackers who can cover are at a premium, I understand the concerns.

I know you're high on Arthur Brown, and I've seen mocks having him go in the 1st. Let me ask you though, can he play the middle or SLB? Or is he only suited to play WLB? I really considered taking Brown at 21 but thought Te'o was a better fit given our needs, to be honest. I think they'll bring back Howard and he'll be ready to go by training camp, though I could be wrong. Can Brown play anywhere besides the weakside? And is his shoulder healthy? If the answer to those two questions is yes, I'd definitely be okay subbing him in for Te'o at 21.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, I like it alot, but have two problems with it. The first has been addressed with Te'o's (that looked weird to type) lack of coverage ability. The other thing is the lack of a speedy back. Lattimore wasn't considered fast even before either knee injury. he certainly won't get faster after them. The same can be said of Woods. With Lattimore making the rounds with his trainer at the combine, some RB-needy team will jump before the end of the second round, much less late third.

I really like Hunter IF he checks out medically. Hodges seems like a poor man's version (hype wise) of Ogletree and Greene, given their success after switching from S to LB.
Jason_Bengal_Fl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are going to gamble on a RB with an injury history, I think I'd prefer Knile Davis after his combine showing. Running sub-4.4 shows me he is healthy. And Lattimore isn't anywhere cose to that fast. (Yeah, I know, speed isn't everything).

Other than that I really like it.
ark23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie wrote:
Appreciate the feedback, ark.

I've grown up a Notre Dame fan and watch all of their games. You described Te'o and our linebacker situation very well. Te'o definitely isn't great in coverage but like you said, he's better than Rey. Doesn't say much considering there's probably some on this board better than Rey, but that's besides the point... anyway, that's the only reservation I have about taking Te'o at 21. I share your concerns about him only being a 2 down player. I've given him the benefit of the doubt due to his work ethic. I have the upmost confidence that Te'o will bust his butt in the off-season over his career, and that will help overcome his shortcomings. But given how the game is changing and linebackers who can cover are at a premium, I understand the concerns.

I know you're high on Arthur Brown, and I've seen mocks having him go in the 1st. Let me ask you though, can he play the middle or SLB? Or is he only suited to play WLB? I really considered taking Brown at 21 but thought Te'o was a better fit given our needs, to be honest. I think they'll bring back Howard and he'll be ready to go by training camp, though I could be wrong. Can Brown play anywhere besides the weakside? And is his shoulder healthy? If the answer to those two questions is yes, I'd definitely be okay subbing him in for Te'o at 21.

The shoulder is a big question. He was durable in college, didn't miss any games at K-State. Nicked up his shoulder this offseason I believe and that kept him from playing at the Senior Bowl. Teams will certainly be checking it out, I think he'll be fine though. Hasn't had injury problems at all prior to this. To my knowledge he's still working out at the combine.

He came in at 241 which is critical for him because the biggest knock on him was his size. That's the same weight as Manti Te'o. Big hands too (10''). Anyway there is zero doubt in my mind that he can play both WLB and MLB. At K-State he played in the middle, made all the defensive calls and he was a star. He's not a pure chase down LB because he is physical. Those big hands are valuable when he takes on blocks because he sheds better than most LB's in this draft class. And even more valuable are his instincts - he does a great job taking proper angles to avoid blocks. Incredible closing speed. No question he's great in coverage, and he'll be very comfortable at WLB as well.

SLB I'm not 100% sold. But I think he can play there. Great blitzer, incredible closing speed and downhill attacking player. Can he blow up FB's/take on blocks? Yes, but that isn't his strength. I'd play him in the middle and keep him on the field in the nickel.
sparky151

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Teo is actually better than average in coverage. He's not especially fast but reads the game well and has good hands.

We should pass on Lattimore. Perhaps he hadn't recovered fully from his first injury but right before he went down the second time, he wasn't close to where he was before the first injury. If we want to take a flyer on him the 3rd day, that's ok but he shouldn't be counted on for production in 2013.
Hokie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Te'o clocked in with a disappointing 4.82 40 time today. I don't think he'll fall out of the 1st round but I expected a 4.70 from him at worst. 40 time naturally doesn't tell the entire story of someone's coverage abilities, but it definitely doesn't help. For comparison's sake, Hodges ran a 4.78 and he's considered to be one of the best cover LBs in the draft.

I don't think Te'o excels in pass coverage by any means, but I do view him as better than Rey. I'll make another mock in a few weeks after I've done some more analysis.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Te'o can cover, but he is a 2 down backer and we do not need that any more. If we want that, resign Rey and put him at SLB. Te'o is a leader, but he won't be on the field in Nickel situations. I would rather resign Howard and have him and Taze in Nickel.

His 4.8 shows he isn't a sideline to sideline backer. Not worth the pick at 21 IMO

Jason_Bengal_Fl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
Te'o can cover, but he is a 2 down backer and we do not need that any more. If we want that, resign Rey and put him at SLB. Te'o is a leader, but he won't be on the field in Nickel situations. I would rather resign Howard and have him and Taze in Nickel.

His 4.8 shows he isn't a sideline to sideline backer. Not worth the pick at 21 IMO

Huh?
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason_Bengal_Fl wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:

Huh?

He isn't as bad as Rey in coverage, but he is only a 2 down backer. Sorry, was drinking last night, not the most logical post ha

In the end, he doesnt have the speed to keep up with TE's down the middle or backs out of the backfield. He has better instincts in the passing game, but in the NFL, he is only a 2 down backer. I would rather draft a guy like Minter and have him as a WLB for us since he can cover than Te'o who won't be on the field 50% of the time for us

INbengalfan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
I would rather draft a guy like Minter and have him as a WLB for us since he can cover than Te'o who won't be on the field 50% of the time for us

If we take Minter, I would rather put him at MLB and leave Burfict outside. We know he can do it, we don't know if Minter can.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
I would rather draft a guy like Minter and have him as a WLB for us since he can cover than Te'o who won't be on the field 50% of the time for us

If we take Minter, I would rather put him at MLB and leave Burfict outside. We know he can do it, we don't know if Minter can.

And I am fine with that. I just know most people want Taze moved inside. Either way, I would prefer Minter over Te'o and then we can bring Rey back as SLB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: