Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Mock I Thought I Wouldn't Do This Year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big9erfan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: The Mock I Thought I Wouldn't Do This Year. Reply with quote

After too much time spent watching the combine I can't resist doing a mock. Should probably wait on the rest of the combine but I'll go ahead and do this midway through.

Key Signings, Cuts and Trades:
- Alex Smith to KC for their third and a conditional 2014 pick
- Goldson tagged again or signed to a new contract
- Soap cut, RJF becomes out starting NT
- Parys Haralson cut
- Ted Ginn not resigned
- Delanie Walker not resigned

1 - Tyler Eifert
My feeling is that our first round pick ought to have pro bowl potential. Looking at who's likely to still be there when we pick Eifert seems most likely to have that kind of potential. Plus, he's an upgrade over Walker and would make our team better right from his first game. Would love for Kap to have both Davis and Eifert to throw to.

2 - Phillip Thomas
Vacaro is out of reach for us, but Thomas is a very similar kind of guy. I'm expecting either Goldson or Whitner to be gone in 2014. So now is a good time to draft a high potential guy to step in for one of them. Thomas is a big hitter and he has great cover skills. Just what we need.

3 (from KC) - Margus Hunt
If Datone happened to fall to the bottom of the second as in a mock or two that I've seen I'd take him. But assuming he's gone Hunt is the highest potential DE left. I think we have the best dline coach in the league and I trust he'll find a way to get Hunt to live up to his potential - which is pretty darn high. Could take his entire first year to get there, but that's fine as long as he gets there. In the meantime his kick blocking ability is a rare but valuable bonus for us.

3 (#74) - Brandon Williams
With Soap gone we need to add a NT. Looks like Williams is the best available at this spot, and a good value for the middle of the 3rd. Could be a nice battle between him and RJF, if not this year than in a year or two.

3 (ours) - Leon McFadden
I'd prefer Amerson or Poyer, but I'm assuming they'll both be gone. But our need to try to improve our pass defense means Ill take the best CB likely to be left at this point

4 (trade our 4th + 5th to move up) - Brandon Jenkins
After releasing Parys we're really weak at OLB and Jenkins has demonstrated pass rushing capability. He was hurt for part of his senior year. So it's hard to know where he'll go. I'd actually add one of our lower picks to move up to get him if necessary.

4 (comp) - Le'veon Bell
Dont think anyone else here wants a RB, and I agree it's a luxury. But I think Bell is going to be an NFL starter and that's just too much to pass up at the bottom of the 4th.

6 (first pick) - Denard Robinson
Let's face it - in the 6th it's a crapshoot and most 6th rounders don't make a roster. So I'm taking a flyer on a guy with a whole lot to learn, but also a whole lot of potential. If we're going to keep throwing those quick outs to a WR with the other one out there blocking then it would be nice to have Robinson on the receiving end of those. He's more able to make the first man miss than anyone we have on the team now. And if he does, he could take it to the house.

6 (second) - best kicker available

7 - who knows?

Roster:
Eifert replaces Wlaker
Thomas replaces either Robinson or Spiller
Williams replaces Ian Williams
Hunt replace RJF who move to NT
Jenkins replaces either Haggans (likely) or Johnson
Bell replaces Dixon
Robinson has an outside shot to become 5th WR, or to survive on the practice squad while he improve his catching and route running
Kicker competes with Akers for the spot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the first four. If hunt is there I will be extremely happy. Although I think we should take a chance on the honey badger in the third for his upside and his return ability. Love the flyer with Robinson. If we really do pistol he would be a great asset if Kaep goes down. Bad thing is I'm hearing that niners don't want to tag Goldson, and their not close on long deal
big9erfan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niner4ever wrote:
Love the first four. If hunt is there I will be extremely happy. Although I think we should take a chance on the honey badger in the third for his upside and his return ability. Love the flyer with Robinson. If we really do pistol he would be a great asset if Kaep goes down. Bad thing is I'm hearing that niners don't want to tag Goldson, and their not close on long deal

Our safety position is really up in the air. We'll know more by draft day. If ww don't resign Goldson then I really want to make sure we get Thomas even if we have to move up for him. In fact, if Goldson is gone, and we don't sign a FA who we think will replace him this year, then I'd keep a close eye on Vacaro and trade up to get him if he drops into the 20s.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: