Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is the 40 yard dash rigged at the NFL Combine?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Is the 40 yard dash rigged at the NFL Combine? Reply with quote

I have been watching the combine for years. Some of these guys run some great times and some run some not so great times. What confuses me is that a guy who runs a slower time can beat someone who ran faster. For example two OL who were paired during multicam or whatever they call it. One guy runs a 4.87 and the other runs a 4.75 yet the 4.87 guy wins by at least 2 yards yet he was "slower" during his 4o dash. Any insight?

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two big difference between running side by side to forty-yards dash. Two things; stance and timing. For example adrian peterson, who can easily outrun many speedy cornerbacks in league but only ran 4.5 at combine because of the stance. It is easier for players with track background to run forty-yards dash because it takes different kind of pedaling and footworks to have such explosiveness.
armsteeld

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even Rich Eisen is saying the same exact thing. A guy ran a 4.2 yet his official time was 4.42? This is stupid to me.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
jebrick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indy has a fast surface. it is made to run fast. They could fly them to Pittsburgh and have them do the same thing at Heinz. Bet they will be .2 slower

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A theory I have is that it has to do somewhat with hyping interest in the broadcast and the process.

Is it not more intriguing when you think guys are posting great numbers and you are witnessing or might see something special. It creates interest... to show results of 4.25 not unlike a newspaper or certain political news broadcasts run stories that they know to be partial stories or clips that frame the outcome or message they want to portray that generates interest or causes controversy. Only to have to make some lame apology or excuse at the end of a show 3 weeks after the original story aired or a retraction in the back page of the newspaper. Sorry I'm going off on a tangent.

Anyway moral of the story 4.25 is more interesting than 4.43 even if it doesn't end up to be real and we continue to watch or want to watch to see if it is. I always add .05 seconds to a time until they post officials, its usually pretty close to the actual official time.

...you have a forum resume?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: