You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock the Planet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Mock the Planet Reply with quote

With the signing of Brent Grimes and the team beginning their Draft meeting today I get the feeling Free Agency is over…they could still sign someone, but the focus has been sifted to the draft and with 11 picks a lot can happen.

Round 1

Pick 12 – Tyler Eifert (TE) – I know it is a little high for a TE, but I have read several times that the Dolphins evaluate players in tiers and as long as Eifert lands in tier 1 there is no reason he can’t be picked this high. Why Eifert over Austin….he’s 6’6”….the Dolphins have upgraded their WR core, but not a single one of them can be classified as a Red-Zone type receiver. Eifert would be that guy…he has great athleticism, excellent hands and the drop off between him and Ertz is huge. I could easily see Eifert leading the team in TD receptions.

Round 2

Pick 42 and 54 – Kyle Long/Justin Pugh/Terron Armstead/Brennan Williams (OT/G) – Yes I’m doubling down on G/T in the second. The line is in dire need of an upgrade and two of these guys (whoever is still available) could provide a big boost. They are versatile enough to play both the G and T positions and are extremely athletic (fit the scheme). They could push for starting guard or RT from day 1. Whichever combination of these 4 they get I would be extremely happy with.

Round 3

Pick 77 – Corey Lemonier (DE) – I really like this kid and see him as player who could work his way into the rotation this year and compete next season with Vernon for starting DE. Worked hard to have a good combine performance which shows he has the desire to get better. Good speed and strength.

Pick 82 – Terry Hawthorne (CB) – With the Signing of Grimes I’m actually pretty satisfied with the defense as a whole. I still like the idea of adding another CB for competition who would have a chance to be brought along slowly while he learns the system. Coyle is excellent with CB and could work wonders with this kid.

Round 4

Pick 110 – Jonathan Bostic (LB) – The Dolphins did a lot to upgrade the position through FA, but depth is still an issue. Bostic has good speed and played in a very tough conference.

Round 5

Pick 146 – Marcus Lattimore (RB) – Risky pick due to his injury, but if he comes back would be the perfect complement to Miller. He has size, speed, good hands and runs with authority. With the risk based off his potential.

Pick 166 – Marcus Davis (WR) – Huge WR (6’3” 233) adding some much needed size to the WR core. Like Eifert could develop into a rezone threat.

Round 7

Depth/K/the gem that turns into an all-pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't how to say this. Ok lets try this - Everybody here I have as a huge reach based on where you have them going. I have most as career back ups at best. Marcus Davis as a rezone threat? Heck if he ever gets on the Zoning Commission Board he better not rezone my home as commercial property or even threaten me with that. If the Dolphins even come close to this mock then I'm pretty sure the Zombie Apocalypse is just around the corner.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Kidnapped by the Jaguars in 2015
Joe Philbin " I could take the 2014 New England Patriots and go 8-8 last year"
Fins20??SBChamp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one of the top OT or Cooper are not there at 12th I have no problem taking the best TE of the draft. I don't think is a reach.

But if we get Cooper then I would like Miami to draft TE Travis Kelce in Round 3.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
I really don't how to say this. Ok lets try this - Everybody here I have as a huge reach based on where you have them going. I have most as career back ups at best. Marcus Davis as a rezone threat? Heck if he ever gets on the Zoning Commission Board he better not rezone my home as commercial property or even threaten me with that. If the Dolphins even come close to this mock then I'm pretty sure the Zombie Apocalypse is just around the corner.

We know all about your BPA mantra and I am definitely on board with that! Two problems I see though...

1. I think you tend to see anybody being picked in a mock higher than what most mocks show him going as a reach. I don't really see you buck the trend and say, I know this guy isn't mocked this high, but he is worth this pick and then some. I'm not around as much these days so maybe I just missed it, but name a few players you are high on that aren't mocked as high as you think he should and probably will go. Who would you consider a great pick at 12, other than the same guys you see mocked in every top 10?

2. If you don't look at needs and only want to go BPA at every position, then you won't like any mock drafts leading up to the real one. Because you can easily argue that every pick talked about either won't be available at that pick cause he will already be picked, or is a reach because he shouldn't be picked that high.

It's the nature of mock drafts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I wouldn't mind this draft at all. I think Eiffert makes us a better team than Cooper, Rhodes, or any number of other guys that have been mocked to us so far, and that's what is important. I also think a stud TE is worth more in today's NFL than a stud WR, so I think it's nuts that guys like this last until the bottom of the first round each year. I think the day is coming when GM's start to realize this and top level TE's like Eiffert will be top 10 picks on a regular basis.

I don't think Armstead will still be there at pick 42 unfortunately. So if we really are looking for a LT in this draft, then we may need to trade back up into the bottom of the first round. If we want to let Yeatman and Martin fight it out at LT, and then draft a RT, then I am fine with bringing in a guy like Brennan Williams at the top of the 3rd round. He may be a bit of a reach in the 2nd round? Hard to say, cause I have only read the reviews on him and not seen the film.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
BTW, I wouldn't mind this draft at all. I think Eiffert makes us a better team than Cooper, Rhodes, or any number of other guys that have been mocked to us so far, and that's what is important. I also think a stud TE is worth more in today's NFL than a stud WR, so I think it's nuts that guys like this last until the bottom of the first round each year. I think the day is coming when GM's start to realize this and top level TE's like Eiffert will be top 10 picks on a regular basis.

I don't think Armstead will still be there at pick 42 unfortunately. So if we really are looking for a LT in this draft, then we may need to trade back up into the bottom of the first round. If we want to let Yeatman and Martin fight it out at LT, and then draft a RT, then I am fine with bringing in a guy like Brennan Williams at the top of the 3rd round. He may be a bit of a reach in the 2nd round? Hard to say, cause I have only read the reviews on him and not seen the film.

I agree for several reasons. One reason being; We have a stud Center and that makes OG's better ( by philosophy ). We shouldn't need another top 20 pick on the interior O-Line to have an adequate run game.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me say this: if the Fins take Austin with their first pick, I will puke.

Secondly: I am slowly coming around to Eifert. I went back and watched his touches vs Alabama and came away impressed. Was a decent blocker and had steady production against the best team in college football. Overall has good hands. At first I was wary because of his lack of "elite" production but ya'll convinced me to take a closer look.

I wouldn't mind taking him in the first. I'd rather have one of the top 3 OTs or Cooper and maybe one of the DTs but he's my first non-lineman I'm interested in at #12. The DEs are all OLBs or slow. If we do draft him, I like seeing 2 OL in the 2nd round.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
Maddogg wrote:

We know all about your BPA mantra and I am definitely on board with that! Two problems I see though...

1. I think you tend to see anybody being picked in a mock higher than what most mocks show him going as a reach. I don't really see you buck the trend and say, I know this guy isn't mocked this high, but he is worth this pick and then some. I'm not around as much these days so maybe I just missed it, but name a few players you are high on that aren't mocked as high as you think he should and probably will go. Who would you consider a great pick at 12, other than the same guys you see mocked in every top 10?

2. If you don't look at needs and only want to go BPA at every position, then you won't like any mock drafts leading up to the real one. Because you can easily argue that every pick talked about either won't be available at that pick cause he will already be picked, or is a reach because he shouldn't be picked that high.

1) I avoid most online mocks for the most part simply because of how they have the players ranked and where they have them going. True they are going to have a few players on common ground with myself. I do have players rated higher than a lot of mocks. Then again it depends on the mocks you look at due to the fact that even mocks differ widely on where they have players going. My favorite player this year is Aaron Mellette WR Elon. Most mocks have him going in Round 6 or 7. I have him rated at 112 which would place him early in the 4th round. But I have the Dolphins taking in round 5 because in all likelyhood he will be available then.
As far as Tyler Eiffert at 12. No. Do I like him? Yes. At 12 again No. Jonathan Cooper at 12 Yes. Does Cooper make us better than Eifert? Yes. In my opinion I have Cooper playing all four downs or more on offense. I see him as a perennial All-Pro with a long term career upwards of twelve years. I just don't project Eifert with a similar career at his position.

2) As far as BPA, yep I'm BPA based on how you have a player rated. I do include a variation based on round. Simply as the draft progresses you add in a percentile deviation which entails need. In other words need can be addressed as the rounds progress so you don't end up drafting 11 DT's.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Kidnapped by the Jaguars in 2015
Joe Philbin " I could take the 2014 New England Patriots and go 8-8 last year"
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
Maddogg wrote:

1) I avoid most online mocks for the most part simply because of how they have the players ranked and where they have them going. True they are going to have a few players on common ground with myself. I do have players rated higher than a lot of mocks. Then again it depends on the mocks you look at due to the fact that even mocks differ widely on where they have players going. My favorite player this year is Aaron Mellette WR Elon. Most mocks have him going in Round 6 or 7. I have him rated at 112 which would place him early in the 4th round. But I have the Dolphins taking in round 5 because in all likelyhood he will be available then.
As far as Tyler Eiffert at 12. No. Do I like him? Yes. At 12 again No. Jonathan Cooper at 12 Yes. Does Cooper make us better than Eifert? Yes. In my opinion I have Cooper playing all four downs or more on offense. I see him as a perennial All-Pro with a long term career upwards of twelve years. I just don't project Eifert with a similar career at his position.

2) As far as BPA, yep I'm BPA based on how you have a player rated. I do include a variation based on round. Simply as the draft progresses you add in a percentile deviation which entails need. In other words need can be addressed as the rounds progress so you don't end up drafting 11 DT's.

Couple of things....Mocks are personal to the mocker and based on their evaluations....this is how I see the player ranked...

I looked at what may happen in the draft and determined that all 3 tackles and Cooper would be gone by 12.

Eifert is easily the best TE prospect to come out since Davis and we have watched as TE have become more and more important to offenses so much so that they are now the focal point on many teams. If the TE position is rated as high as a WR then the best TE should go in the top 15 especially one as gifted as Eifert.

AS for second round....all lineman (I have 4 listed) will be gone by the end of the second round and will will be very good starters in the NFL....all are athletic and fit the ZBS.

Rounds 3 - 5 are very debatable and went with the guys I liked best for the Dolphins system.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Cooper a lot and I would be OK with the pick, because I do also see it as a need given our desire to give our new QB the protection he needs, but my general philosophy in a draft is that the O-line as a whole is more important than any other position but QB. But considering you need 5 starters and the nature of the position is that you are only as strong as your weakest link, I don't see any one Offensive lineman as being worthy of top half of the first round picks unless it's an all world LT. I would rather build an entire line of above average players that develop and build continuity, and use those higher draft picks on Pass rushers, QB's, TE's, DT's. People that are in positions to force the other team to gameplan around. Cooper does NOT fit that criteria. Eiffert does.

I remember when I watched a Michigan game a few years ago in order to see another prospect they were playng against. My eyes kept being drawn to that LT named Jake Long! He was by far the best oplayer on the field. It was obvious and that isn't easy for a LT to do.

When I watched old TCU tape to see what this Hughes guy was all about I found myself thinking he wasn't even the best player on his defense, (Washington, their ILB was a far supperior player)

When I watched the National Championship game, I got the same feeling about Eiffert. And word is it was one of his worst games of the year. But I could see them trying to lean on him and feed him the ball. I could see the defense adjusting to keep up with him. He is just a football player! He blocks well, and runs great routes, and he goes up and gets the ball. He is in the mold of Jason Whitten in Dallas, and for that reason, I think he would be a great pick at 12.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler Eifert.. I would have no problem with this pick it allows us to use 2 TE big in todays game create mismatches and honestly he is a redzone threat. His catch radius reminds me of jimmy graham he catches everything at its highest point extended high or behind him and torques his body well. I think he could be a someone the staff is looking at hard

Kyle long/Armstead/pugh/combo again all good players and needs and scheme fit cant go wrong here I think

Corey Lemonier Good value good edge rusher sometimes is on his back to much but this gives us 2 young edge rushers to push each other for playing time and battle it out. hopefully one emerges.

Jon bostic... Something that shouldn't surprise us is Miami drafting a MLB and putting Ellerbe at SOLB that's where Ellerbe does his damage he is good at rushing off the edge and getting in the backfield with quickness. Bostic is a good player who surprised many by running well at combine. Another guy wouldn't surprise me if they drafted is Arthur brown and have wheeler brown Ellerbe they want speed speed and playmaking.

Marcus Lattimore... Who cant help love that guy..

Marcus davis... he has some issues but a lot of tools at the same time maybe the light goes on and its a steal but he could very well be cut in camp. Its a 6th round pick and I love gambles at this point. Last year I wanted vontaze burfict in the 7th..
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the reasons I want Eifert....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqJRd3mN01w

Watch the athleticism. the way he attacks the ball, the hands....he guy has future pro-bowler written all over him...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would personally prefer Wreh-Wilson in the third instead of Hawthorne. Out of those 4 lineman you had in the 2nd round, I would choose Williams and Long. I think Pugh and Armstead are solid, but won't be as good. Overall, good mock.
SUG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could live with this mock if none of the OTs or Cooper are avail @ #12.
I like the Eifert pk, I think the kid in a couple yrs is gonna be a force in our WC Off.
Good job VM.

sug
candyman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ideal mock draft

Trade picks 12 and 42 for Oakland΄s 3rd pick. Oakland doesn't need an OT and there are 5-6 defensive players that are in the same class. Due to their small cap space, Oakland needs to pick more players, as they courrently have absolutely no depth.

Round 1

3 – Eric Fisher (OT) – For me Fisher is the best player in the draft and someone who fits the ZBS perfectly. Yes, giving up the 2nd hurts, but this move would solidify what are now the weakest spots in our team (OT).

Round 2

54 – Kyle Long (OT/G) – As Monk said it, Long is versatile enough to play both the G and T positions. In this situation he could be groomed to play any spot in the line (except C) as our team sees fit.

Round 3

77 – Jordan Poyer (CB) – Poyer excels in zone coverage due to his vision on the field. He does an excellent job tracking and adjusting to the movement of receivers in his zone, while also keeping his eyes on the quarterback. He fits the system and could learn from Grimes.

82 – Ryan Swope (WR) – Someone to develop and hopefully a starter in the future. Worked with Sherman in Texas A&M and was Tannenhill's favorite receiver.

Round 4

Pick 110 – John Simon (DE) – Ohio State - To compete with Shelby and Vernon for time in the DE position.

Round 5

Pick 146 – Le'Veon Bell (RB) - Michigan State - Big bowling ball type back, but with enough quickness to suceed in the next level. A complement to Miller.

Pick 166 – Omoregie Uzzi (OG) - Georgia Tech - Project for the OL.

Round 7

Pick 217 – Caleb Sturgis (K) - Florida - Competition for Carpenter.

Pick 224 – Zeke Motta (SS) - Notre Dame - Depth at the safety position

Pick 250– Walter Stewart (DE) - Cincinnati - Would be a first round pick if not for his injury. High risk/high reward.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: