Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Merc fixes the Dolphins in the Offseason
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huddle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is fantasy and not realistic Sad

but i would love it Very Happy

Who Ride!!! We Ride!!! Who Ride!!! We Ride!!! Who Ride!!! We Ride!!! On three!!! One...two...three... LETS RIDE

The Love comes from Karlsruhe (Germany) to Miami for the greatest football team ever !!!
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huddle wrote:
that is fantasy and not realistic Sad

but i would love it Very Happy

I don't know. I think its close to what alot of these guys will end up getting, contract wise. Then again, I may be overestimating what some of these guys end up getting. There aren't a ton of teams with a ton of money, and if the 4-5 that do have some serious dough, may not be competing for the same players. The cap is not expanding much, and teams are going to be hesitant to spend big on guys. At least, I thin so. A guy like Sean Smith may find he waits longer than he expects to be signed, and may miss out on the big payday he is expecting. A guy like Wallace said he wants money like Vincent Jackson got. That's what I alloted for him.

The Jake Long issue is one I probably underestimate what he will take. He probably will get money from some team. I think we should be aggressive with a back loaded 3 year deal, but not give him more than what I proposed for the first year, if possible. If not, take the best OT you can get on the market for roughly that cap number.

Some of the guys I had us taking in the draft have already risen up boards in the combine. So, yes, alterations to the draft would have to be made, but in general, I'd like to see us focus on WR's and pass rush and some offensive linemen.
Russ57

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say my ideas have merit but I'll spit them out FWIW.

If I'm trying to decide between resigning a guy, or a FA, or fillling that need with a draft pick....I look at how easy it is for a new player to perform that role and how much experience/talent I now have in that role.

For example lets consider two players, Hartline and Starks. Keep in mind I have said a bunch of times that I think Starks is the one player I'd like to keep most.

If we let Starks walk we have Wake, Solia, and Odrick to help the rookie along. From what I have read Wake is a willing mentor....both with the new o-line and d-line guys. I don't know much about the others as mentors but they all have some degree of experience and sucess between college and NFL. A rookie joining that group is likely to get some help and no matter how poorly he does I doubt he will ruin the group. Between our 3 d-line staters and our 3 LB'ers he will have a lot of people to learn from and to have his back.

If we let Hartline walk and replace him with a draft pick we only have Bess to mentor him. It isn't like they play shoulder to shoudler and Bess can cover for him. It also generally takes a WR a few years to blossom.

My point here? If push comes to shove I take a DL draft pick and a proven FA WR.

There are other roles where I might take the opposite approach. Consider Reggie Bush and Sean Smith. Here I would rather sign a FA CB and draft a RB. I feel the RB role is easier to learn quickly than the CB's role. I also think the RB's lifespan is lower and would rather have a lower mileage player there.

The other thing I would look at is making sure contracts are staggered. I don't want a FA WR plus two draft pick WR's with contracts all expiring at the same point in the future.

Many here are fixiated on the O-line. I have preached before that a ZBS line can take advantage of non-protypical players that are there in latter rounds enough so I'll spare you Merc. I can't understand why so many would advocate a big huge mauling guard at pick 12 like Womack. I could live with the best LOT at 12 but not a freaking guard who doesn't fit our scheme!!!! For Gods sake put Martin at LOT, Jerry at ROT, Richie at RG, Pouncey at LG and get a center in the 4th or a FA. Then instill an offense where Tanny isn't holding the ball longer than 3-4 seconds.

By all means do draft a WR and some OL guys. But push come to shove I think it makes more sense to let Starks and Smith walk, draft a DT like Hankins over Millner, and get a CB in FA. Then go get me a stud TE next because I don't love Keller. If Wallace was Jackson I'd pay his demands but he isn't, so I wouldn't. I'd sooner have Welker for 8 million than Wallace or Jennings for 12 million. I can wait a year on a DE so I'll take Tank or Jeffcoat later on and let them rehab. I'd grab Lattimore for the same reasons.
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok that was a nice dream and all now it is time to wake up. You know there is no way Miami sign two of the top rated WR's. Come on. Not only that but it does not fix the FIns. Miami has offensive line issues. Remember that. You did nothing to solidify it. Makes no sense resigning Reggie while letting Starks walk. Starks is more important than Reggie, who is a RB. Plus I am no fan of Greg Jennings. But I have already said that.
Mercury22

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ57 wrote:
I can't say my ideas have merit but I'll spit them out FWIW.

If I'm trying to decide between resigning a guy, or a FA, or fillling that need with a draft pick....I look at how easy it is for a new player to perform that role and how much experience/talent I now have in that role.

For example lets consider two players, Hartline and Starks. Keep in mind I have said a bunch of times that I think Starks is the one player I'd like to keep most.

If we let Starks walk we have Wake, Solia, and Odrick to help the rookie along. From what I have read Wake is a willing mentor....both with the new o-line and d-line guys. I don't know much about the others as mentors but they all have some degree of experience and sucess between college and NFL. A rookie joining that group is likely to get some help and no matter how poorly he does I doubt he will ruin the group. Between our 3 d-line staters and our 3 LB'ers he will have a lot of people to learn from and to have his back.

If we let Hartline walk and replace him with a draft pick we only have Bess to mentor him. It isn't like they play shoulder to shoudler and Bess can cover for him. It also generally takes a WR a few years to blossom.

My point here? If push comes to shove I take a DL draft pick and a proven FA WR.

I agree. Drafting a WR as opposed to going through free agency likely ensures a longer development of the receiving corps. A defensive linemen, or two, can compete for playing time on a unit already stacked with vets.

Russ57 wrote:

There are other roles where I might take the opposite approach. Consider Reggie Bush and Sean Smith. Here I would rather sign a FA CB and draft a RB. I feel the RB role is easier to learn quickly than the CB's role. I also think the RB's lifespan is lower and would rather have a lower mileage player there.

On a whole, I agree. RB's seem to adjust to the NFL game much faster than most postitions. CB's take a long time to mature. That's why I'd prefer to keep Smith. He still can get better, we know he's a hard worker, and we know he fits the mold that Kevin Coyle seems to prefer. When you look at the other free agent CB's that should be available, many of the top end ones have off the field issues, age issues, or are coming off an injury. I don't know if we can retain smith for what I projected, but I don't think he gets anywhere near what he wants.

As for Reggie vs. a draft choice, I could get on board with a draft pick, but two years running we've spent on RB's. We've spent a 2nd and a 3rd, and neither of them look as good to me as Reggie. We can spend another to pair with Miller, but we stand to miss, and we know we have a leader and play maker in Bush.

Russ57 wrote:

The other thing I would look at is making sure contracts are staggered. I don't want a FA WR plus two draft pick WR's with contracts all expiring at the same point in the future.

That doesn't seem to be how Ireland works. He says, in interviews, that it was by design that we have so many players lined up for Free Agency this year and that it coincides with so many draft picks being available is also not by accident.

I am less concerned about contracts expiring at the same time, or freeing up a ton of space all at once, and simply concerned with adding talent that gives us a chance to create TD's on offense and get pass rush on the QB on defense. Those two things, seemed to me to be the two things we lacked the most last year.

Russ57 wrote:

Many here are fixiated on the O-line. I have preached before that a ZBS line can take advantage of non-protypical players that are there in latter rounds enough so I'll spare you Merc. I can't understand why so many would advocate a big huge mauling guard at pick 12 like Womack. I could live with the best LOT at 12 but not a freaking guard who doesn't fit our scheme!!!! For Gods sake put Martin at LOT, Jerry at ROT, Richie at RG, Pouncey at LG and get a center in the 4th or a FA. Then instill an offense where Tanny isn't holding the ball longer than 3-4 seconds.

I agree that we should be able to find players along the oline later in the draft. I also agree Womack's strengths would be better suited in a different scheme than ours. So I probably wouldn't take him in the first round. I do see the appeal though. He is going to play well where ever he goes, is my guess. It just probably wouldn't be the Dolphins if I were in charge. Beyond that, there is no way I'd trust Martin with Tannehill's backside yet. Either way, we need another Tackle if Long goes. He is the one guy that I think will be hardest to retain. He just commands too much money for the risk.
Mercury22

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
Ok that was a nice dream and all now it is time to wake up. You know there is no way Miami sign two of the top rated WR's. Come on. Not only that but it does not fix the FIns. Miami has offensive line issues. Remember that. You did nothing to solidify it. Makes no sense resigning Reggie while letting Starks walk. Starks is more important than Reggie, who is a RB. Plus I am no fan of Greg Jennings. But I have already said that.

Miami has ample cap space and plenty of need at the WR position to justify the expenditure on Jennings and Wallace. They also claim to want to field a pass first team that is high octane. Acquiring two veterans at the position who seem to be good fits for the Dolphins IS possible. It may not be what they do, but it is possible.

As for fixing the fins, we've spent the last 5-6 off seasons solidifying the lines. Both offense and defensive. You remember that. We spent money on free agents and we've spent the majority of our of top picks on players for both fronts. How has that worked out for us? More of the same? No thanks.

Reggie is going to cost a fraction of what Starks costs. Plus, we have great talent along the defensive line already and even if we retained Starks we'll still have to add DE help and drain more resources. All more money and capital to a unit that already is strong. I don't recall the breakdown, but we have A LOT more money spent on defense than we do on offense. By a large percentage. I like Starks, but at some point distribution of funds is required.

A good QB and a stable of WR's that can make yards after the catch will get this offense rolling. Its a pass happy league, its a pass oriented scheme, and we are severely lacking guys who get in the end zone and create mismatches. Who does Hartline scare? How about Bess? You don't love Jennings? Meh, I don't really love him either. I could get on board with spending the money I have earmarked for Jennings on a top notch free agent DE to go opposite Wake, and then use the first round I had for Ansah on a WR, but Jennings and Miami seem to be having open flirtations and because he starts from day one, unlike a lot of rookie WR's. Either way, I want to see resources on guys that are mismatches for opposing defenses in the positions that score. Not re-building the lines that have already a vast amount of this teams resources.

Last edited by Mercury22 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing u are missing is Brandon Marshall coming back in place of Jennings... Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent follow up merc.

Sug
DoLFaN

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long doesnt fit our ZBS, he is more of a smash mouth type of player

Eifert will be gone in the 1st and i doubt Long will still be around at the end of the 3rd

Jennings is about to get franchised by the Packers so hes off the market

smith is not worth the money IMO, too many missed tackles and gave up too many 3rd down conversions
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:

Miami has ample cap space and plenty of need at the WR position to justify the expenditure on Jennings and Wallace. They also claim to want to field a pass first team that is high octane. Acquiring two veterans at the position who seem to be good fits for the Dolphins IS possible. It may not be what they do, but it is possible.

As for fixing the fins, we've spent the last 5-6 off seasons solidifying the lines. Both offense and defensive. You remember that. We spent money on free agents and we've spent the majority of our of top picks on players for both fronts. How has that worked out for us? More of the same? No thanks.

Reggie is going to cost a fraction of what Starks costs. Plus, we have great talent along the defensive line already and even if we retained Starks we'll still have to add DE help and drain more resources. All more money and capital to a unit that already is strong. I don't recall the breakdown, but we have A LOT more money spent on defense than we do on offense. By a large percentage. I like Starks, but at some point distribution of funds is required.

A good QB and a stable of WR's that can make yards after the catch will get this offense rolling. Its a pass happy league, its a pass oriented scheme, and we are severely lacking guys who get in the end zone and create mismatches. Who does Hartline scare? How about Bess? You don't love Jennings? Meh, I don't really love him either. I could get on board with spending the money I have earmarked for Jennings on a top notch free agent DE to go opposite Wake, and then use the first round I had for Ansah on a WR, but Jennings and Miami seem to be having open flirtations and because he starts from day one, unlike a lot of rookie WR's. Either way, I want to see resources on guys that are mismatches for opposing defenses in the positions that score. Not re-building the lines that have already a vast amount of this teams resources.

For once I would like the Fins not be active in free agency. I am not suggesting they not sign a receiver but it seems as if all the good teams are never active in the first few days of free agency. No matter who Miami signs it is almos a formality they will not be as productive as they were with their previous team. I know once thing, Sean Smith can walk. I heard today he wants like 8.5M/year. He is a 5M CB. He is hardly a game changer. At least with Jake Long, Miami was getting grade A play when he was healty. Smith was healthy and still getting beat.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:

For once I would like the Fins not be active in free agency. I am not suggesting they not sign a receiver but it seems as if all the good teams are never active in the first few days of free agency. No matter who Miami signs it is almos a formality they will not be as productive as they were with their previous team. I know once thing, Sean Smith can walk. I heard today he wants like 8.5M/year. He is a 5M CB. He is hardly a game changer. At least with Jake Long, Miami was getting grade A play when he was healty. Smith was healthy and still getting beat.

I agree...I know they are going have to make some moves to appease the typical fan, but I'm all for building through the draft and signing free agents who specifically fit the schemes they are trying to run. There are plenty of CB available in Free Agency that will not only be a better fit for the Dolphins then Smith, but at a much better value. The goal should be to get better, keep the player you develop while continuing to find ways to add picks in future drafts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:

No disrespect, but to me that's flawed logic. With all the holes we have to fill you suggest hesitation in FA? The good teams do that because they don't have holes. We are far from that.

I agree about our track record in FA but we can't place our entire fate in the hands of rookies.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
Judson49

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I count myself in the Merc sponsored "I have no trust or positive expectation of Jeff Ireland" club.

Now if Jeff Ireland is to receive plaudits for positioning himself with cash & picks to significantly upgrade the team this offseason.........and he spends a large chunk of that re-signing Sean Smith to a totally unwarranted contract I will quite possibly implode.

I would feel it distasteful for him to be "earning" $4m let alone $8.5.

Sean Smith hasn't done a damn thing as a Miami Dolphin, let him walk. Jake Long can go too, far too pricey for what he now is.
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:

No disrespect, but to me that's flawed logic. With all the holes we have to fill you suggest hesitation in FA? The good teams do that because they don't have holes. We are far from that.

I agree about our track record in FA but we can't place our entire fate in the hands of rookies.

I am not suggesting we do. I am suggesting Miami let the first wave happen and then start plucking guys. For example, Miami should on Steve Breaston. He is a good WR with speed. Those are the sort of signings I am referring. I understand when you are darn near 50M under the cap you have to make some big name signings. I suggest resigning some of our own players. I am indifferent on Jake Long. If they resign him fine but I think they made a big mistake in drafting Martin last year. Anyone of the tackles are better than him this year. Outside of Clemons all money need to go on offense. I mean a new OG, WR, TE and Tackle
Mercury22

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Merc fixes the Dolphins in the Offseason Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
I reserve the right to make changes, but this is what I would try and do as it stands today.

Free Agents I'd Sign/Resign:

Resign Reggie Bush
I love Reggie and I think he is a great RB. He is, by many accounts, THE team leader, and a guy many of the players on our team look up too. He works hard. He plays hard. Hes a mistmatch. He plays WR, if we let him. He should return in my opinion, and Id try and get close to the 5 million he wants.
3yr 14 million, actually 2 year, 8 million. Count this year 4 million

Resign Sean Smith:
While I think there will be other FA corners that are just as good if not slightly better than Smith, there arent many, and Smith works hard, wants to get better, is big (like Kevin Coyle likes) and did well when he had Richard Marshall on the other side of the field for the most part. This deal would have to be contingent on the first year being one of the lowest
4 year, 36 million - Count this year is $6.5 million. (Back loaded as much as possible.)

Resign Jake Long:
In my opinion, Jake Long is the kind of talent that is worth being certain about, ESPECIALLY if we arent getting a damn thing in return for his departure. If he flourishes elsewhere, and has another 8 years in his career, it will be unbearable to watch. My refrain has been, If Richie Incognito can figure out the ZBS, so can Jake Long. He is the units leader and he is a hell of a hard worker. Transition tag him for 8.5 million. He can go elsewhere if he gets a huge contract. I suspect no one is gonna give him more than 8.5 million for the year Count this year at 8.5 million. If I have to use franchise to keep Long for one year, I'd do it.

Sign WR Mike Wallace:
Wallace is a guy used to catching 60-70 without complaint, he has huge deep speed putting every single defense the entire year on their heals, he scores TDs, his bad attitude seems to have its roots in feeling disrespected. Ill show him respect and pay him: 5 year, 50 million. Count this year is $13 million.

Sign WR Greg Jennings
Jennings would be the go to guy, as much as there is one in our offense. He starts day 1. He knows the offense. I dont love his age or injury history, but we should get a couple of years out of him, and he and Wallace, along with Reggie Bush and Bess in the slot, make our offense move. 3 year, 30 million. Count this year is 10 million.

Resign Chris Clemons
Meh. This is less than what he is asking. So if he signs it great. If not, oh well. Count this year is 2.5 million

My Mock Draft (4 rounds)

1.Ezekial Ansuh, DE BYU Opposite Cam Wake. Ansuh is just beginning to find himself as a football. The defense is much better with a 2nd pass rusher. I think this kid is gonna be a fierce NFL player.

2a Tyler Eifert, TE Notre Dame The best TE in the draft, I think.

2b. Quinton Patton, WR Louisiana Tech- Learns behind Jennings. Big end zone target and has a couple years to flourish and/or can contribute behind Jennings, Wallace, and Bess.

3a. Margus Hunt, DE SMU You can never have too many pass rushers. Hunt is so good, but he may not mature much more since he is already 25. Im cool with that, this guy can get after it.

3b. Kyle Long, OT Oregon Depth. Good feet. Nice lineage. Has a year to compete for playing time if Jake Long doesnt pan out.

4. Brian Winters, OL Kent State Great feet, ZBS guy, played left tackle, could play in either G or T, needs strength.

4b. CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Connecticut Size and speed that Kevin Coyle seems to like in his corners. He is insurance if Sean Smith doesn't progress.

Opening Day 2013
The Offense looks something like this:

QB- Ryan Tannehill

FB- Javorskie Lane
RB- Reggie Bush/Lamar Miller

WR- Mike Wallace
WR- Greg Jennings
WR- Davone Bess
TE - Tyler Eifert

OLT- Jake Long
OLG- Richie Incognito
OC- Mike Pouncey
OG - John Jerry/ Brian Winters
ORT - Jonathan Martin / Kyle Long

The Defense might look something like this:

DE- Cameron Wake
DT- Paul Soliai
DT- Jared Odrick
DE - Ezekial Ansuh/Margus Hunt

LOLB - Kevin Burnett
MLB - Karlos Dansby
ROLB - Koa Misi

CB - Sean Smith
S - Reshard Jones
S - Chris Clemons
CB - Richard Marshall

Overall, I think this improves our offense and allows Ryan Tannehill to have some serious weapons on the offense. We have mismatches, we have guys that can score, and we have speed.

I also used our 1st rounder and one of our 3rd rouders on improving pass rush. We have depth and the increased pass rush should make our corners better. I also added some more youth and depth.

My own criticism would be that I did not add another S. If I could find any more money in Free agency I might spend it there.

Thoughts?

Several people called my free agency proposals unrealistic. Looking back I think I nailed it. The cost of most of the free agent players that I listed above was pretty spot or higher than what they got for 2013 projected cap hits. Meaning, this was close to, if not entirely, possible.

The draft I proposed was pre-combine results and many of the players I suggested have risen up draft boards significantly. Either way, it wasn't an impossible plan AT ALL.

Just curious how your preseason team repairs look now in retrospect. I think many/most of us posted a thread like this around the combine and before Free Agency.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: