Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Merc fixes the Dolphins in the Offseason
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Merc fixes the Dolphins in the Offseason Reply with quote

I reserve the right to make changes, but this is what I would try and do as it stands today.

Free Agents I'd Sign/Resign:

Resign Reggie Bush
I love Reggie and I think he is a great RB. He is, by many accounts, THE team leader, and a guy many of the players on our team look up too. He works hard. He plays hard. Hes a mistmatch. He plays WR, if we let him. He should return in my opinion, and Id try and get close to the 5 million he wants.
3yr 14 million, actually 2 year, 8 million. Count this year 4 million

Resign Sean Smith:
While I think there will be other FA corners that are just as good if not slightly better than Smith, there arent many, and Smith works hard, wants to get better, is big (like Kevin Coyle likes) and did well when he had Richard Marshall on the other side of the field for the most part. This deal would have to be contingent on the first year being one of the lowest
4 year, 36 million - Count this year is $6.5 million. (Back loaded as much as possible.)

Resign Jake Long:
In my opinion, Jake Long is the kind of talent that is worth being certain about, ESPECIALLY if we arent getting a damn thing in return for his departure. If he flourishes elsewhere, and has another 8 years in his career, it will be unbearable to watch. My refrain has been, If Richie Incognito can figure out the ZBS, so can Jake Long. He is the units leader and he is a hell of a hard worker. Transition tag him for 8.5 million. He can go elsewhere if he gets a huge contract. I suspect no one is gonna give him more than 8.5 million for the year Count this year at 8.5 million. If I have to use franchise to keep Long for one year, I'd do it.

Sign WR Mike Wallace:
Wallace is a guy used to catching 60-70 without complaint, he has huge deep speed putting every single defense the entire year on their heals, he scores TDs, his bad attitude seems to have its roots in feeling disrespected. Ill show him respect and pay him: 5 year, 50 million. Count this year is $13 million.

Sign WR Greg Jennings
Jennings would be the go to guy, as much as there is one in our offense. He starts day 1. He knows the offense. I dont love his age or injury history, but we should get a couple of years out of him, and he and Wallace, along with Reggie Bush and Bess in the slot, make our offense move. 3 year, 30 million. Count this year is 10 million.

Resign Chris Clemons
Meh. This is less than what he is asking. So if he signs it great. If not, oh well. Count this year is 2.5 million

My Mock Draft (4 rounds)

1.Ezekial Ansuh, DE BYU Opposite Cam Wake. Ansuh is just beginning to find himself as a football. The defense is much better with a 2nd pass rusher. I think this kid is gonna be a fierce NFL player.

2a Tyler Eifert, TE Notre Dame The best TE in the draft, I think.

2b. Quinton Patton, WR Louisiana Tech- Learns behind Jennings. Big end zone target and has a couple years to flourish and/or can contribute behind Jennings, Wallace, and Bess.

3a. Margus Hunt, DE SMU You can never have too many pass rushers. Hunt is so good, but he may not mature much more since he is already 25. Im cool with that, this guy can get after it.

3b. Kyle Long, OT Oregon Depth. Good feet. Nice lineage. Has a year to compete for playing time if Jake Long doesnt pan out.

4. Brian Winters, OL Kent State Great feet, ZBS guy, played left tackle, could play in either G or T, needs strength.

4b. CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Connecticut Size and speed that Kevin Coyle seems to like in his corners. He is insurance if Sean Smith doesn't progress.

Opening Day 2013
The Offense looks something like this:

QB- Ryan Tannehill

FB- Javorskie Lane
RB- Reggie Bush/Lamar Miller

WR- Mike Wallace
WR- Greg Jennings
WR- Davone Bess
TE - Tyler Eifert

OLT- Jake Long
OLG- Richie Incognito
OC- Mike Pouncey
OG - John Jerry/ Brian Winters
ORT - Jonathan Martin / Kyle Long

The Defense might look something like this:

DE- Cameron Wake
DT- Paul Soliai
DT- Jared Odrick
DE - Ezekial Ansuh/Margus Hunt

LOLB - Kevin Burnett
MLB - Karlos Dansby
ROLB - Koa Misi

CB - Sean Smith
S - Reshard Jones
S - Chris Clemons
CB - Richard Marshall

Overall, I think this improves our offense and allows Ryan Tannehill to have some serious weapons on the offense. We have mismatches, we have guys that can score, and we have speed.

I also used our 1st rounder and one of our 3rd rouders on improving pass rush. We have depth and the increased pass rush should make our corners better. I also added some more youth and depth.

My own criticism would be that I did not add another S. If I could find any more money in Free agency I might spend it there.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Mercury22 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Geoman88

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love everything about this post. Great signings and solid draft... Reggie i believe is definitly leaving us, but i see him as very scary threat as a receiver coming out of the backfield, which is how he should be used. Sean smith will be asking for very high amount. As though i can see him getting the money he is very inconsistent, he doesnt get interceptions. Sometimes when he mans up in coverage he easily gets beat. Jake Long should stay that is our big decision. I believe in year two of the ZBS he should be alright, the only disadvantage is that he's been injury prone last couple of years and in some games D Ends were abusing him. The Wallace and Greg Jennings package is way too sweet. Id be running in circles if we could get both of them. Setting them up with Ryan Tannehill makes for a scary offense paired up with a Davone Bess and a Reggie Bush if he were to come back. Ansah is a very good pick to pair opposite Wake. Depending on what free agency looks like obviously, DE could possibly not be a need. I still believe the dolphins secondary is very weak. Smith and a healthy Richard Marshall are average paired up together. If Millner is there at 12 id take him in a heartbeat. If not first round there are others in value possibly available in 2nd round in Xavier Rhodes, Jonathan Banks, and Desmond Trufant to name some. I also wouldnt mind another safety to pair together with Reshad Jones, Kenny Vaccaro and Jonathan Cyprien come to mind. Its all up to one man and his name is Jeff Ireland. If this year he doesnt make major moves this clown has to be out of a job

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. The only thing is that you seem to be forgetting we have Vernon and so as much as I like Ansah and Hunt I don't think you take both - one of those picks needs to be spent on the secondary either in round 1 taking Vaccaro or Milliner instead of Ansah, or replacing Hunt with the top rated DB available at 3a.

I also think that FA might be the best place to find a seam threat TE (Keller or Cook) because I'm not totally sold on this year's TE draft class.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like some of the moves and while I may not agree with some of them I can't argue that they wouldn't work, but I wouldn't want Margus Hunt in the 6th round let alone the 3rd....they guy is a physical freak, but he is not a football player. He was embarrassed at the Senior Bowl and never showed dominance in a weaker division....the guy is better suited for strongman competitions then the football field.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merc, Isn't the transition tag subject to the same 120% salary increase as the franchise tag?

frankmoore wrote:
The hero doesn't always ride off into the sunset with the girl, sometimes he ends up on the wrong end of the lightsaber.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have me sold with ziggy ansah he is a raw but more pro ready then people think and besides his obvious strengths I love his ability to bat down balls when he doesnt get to the QB.

I dont think Eifert makes it to 42 but I like the player and maybe a guy to look at in this area would be Gavin Escabar who has great hands and a huge catch radius. He is on the heels of both Ertz and eifert.

I like patton good solid pick and route runner.

I am not completely sold on Hunt but is another guy who gets his hands on the ball can be a DT/DE rotational guy and IRELAND loves D line.

Kyle long this is where you won me over been on his wagon from the beginning love his upside at Tackle or G and has good feet gets to second leval and comes from zone blocking.

Guys like winters Schwenke terron armstead are all scheme fit athletic lineman I like in round 3

blida wreh wilson I think has no chance to make it to 4

Overall I really like this and like that you have us resigning alot of our own and I love bush so hope he stays. Right now if we dont resign jake long Lane johnson is who I want in round 1 and if we do resign jake its ziggy ansah I want . I like this
Russ57

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct Dave...still costs us 120%....and we get nothing if he signs with someone else.
Dolphin Dave

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ57 wrote:
Correct Dave...still costs us 120%....and we get nothing if he signs with someone else.

Ok. Sorry Merc but he would still cost us somewhere in the $14 million range.

frankmoore wrote:
The hero doesn't always ride off into the sunset with the girl, sometimes he ends up on the wrong end of the lightsaber.
Jaytotha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it but not sure if we have the money to do it all

Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Long:

1st. A little back ground ... back when he was drafted, I believe the talk was Matt Ryan and Vernon Gholston. I was 100% Jake Long. All through the Sporano years (at least until Daboll) I was in support. So this is not about me "hating" him or being intolerant of him, but Please know that Jake Long has probably understood the nature of the ZBS since pop warner. There is nothing to figure out. He knows ZBS better than anyone. This is about his physical skill set. This is not about learning a system.

When an opposing team knows that you run a ZBS, their approach is usually to disguise the pressure until the snap. This requires him to have the lateral quickness to react. This requires quick feet and I suppose flexibility in the hips. I'm not saying that he will be a complete failure trying to do this, but he will be a C- player making A++ money. It's not good for the roster. You would get better value going with Fisher in the draft. Apparently based on what you said he actually fits the system at a very high level. So to me, it's purely sentimental trying to hold on to Jake Long. This is the equivalent of asking Devonne Bess to be our deep threat, and when he pulls a hammy trying to do it, saying that he failed due to injury.

Sean Smith

.... completely non productive. Tried to do the contract year burst thing, but couldn't pull it off over an entire season. And there are cheaper corners on the market that would be an instant upgrade, but I'm sorry my eyes see more sentiment for a player you like. No personal offense. This is just my opinion.

Greg Jennings

Loved that idea at first. And kind of still do (especially w/ the addition of Wallace) but i'm not thrilled with his health history, his age or the fact that he's played with near perfect QBs and a ton of good receivers his whole career.

I'm cool with the draft.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Merc fixes the Dolphins in the Offseason Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
I reserve the right to make changes, but this is what I would try and do as it stands today.

Free Agents I'd Sign/Resign:

Resign Reggie Bush
I love Reggie and I think he is a great RB. He is, by many accounts, THE team leader, and a guy many of the players on our team look up too. He works hard. He plays hard. Hes a mistmatch. He plays WR, if we let him. He should return in my opinion, and Id try and get close to the 5 million he wants.
3yr 14 million, actually 2 year, 8 million. Count this year 4 million

Resign Sean Smith:
While I think there will be other FA corners that are just as good if not slightly better than Smith, there arent many, and Smith works hard, wants to get better, is big (like Kevin Coyle likes) and did well when he had Richard Marshall on the other side of the field for the most part. This deal would have to be contingent on the first year being one of the lowest
4 year, 36 million - Count this year is $6.5 million. (Back loaded as much as possible.)

Resign Jake Long:
In my opinion, Jake Long is the kind of talent that is worth being certain about, ESPECIALLY if we arent getting a damn thing in return for his departure. If he flourishes elsewhere, and has another 8 years in his career, it will be unbearable to watch. My refrain has been, If Richie Incognito can figure out the ZBS, so can Jake Long. He is the units leader and he is a hell of a hard worker. Transition tag him for 8.5 million. He can go elsewhere if he gets a huge contract. I suspect no one is gonna give him more than 8.5 million for the year Count this year at 8.5 million. If I have to use franchise to keep Long for one year, I'd do it.

Sign WR Mike Wallace:
Wallace is a guy used to catching 60-70 without complaint, he has huge deep speed putting every single defense the entire year on their heals, he scores TDs, his bad attitude seems to have its roots in feeling disrespected. Ill show him respect and pay him: 5 year, 50 million. Count this year is $13 million.

Sign WR Greg Jennings
Jennings would be the go to guy, as much as there is one in our offense. He starts day 1. He knows the offense. I dont love his age or injury history, but we should get a couple of years out of him, and he and Wallace, along with Reggie Bush and Bess in the slot, make our offense move. 3 year, 30 million. Count this year is 10 million.

Resign Chris Clemons
Meh. This is less than what he is asking. So if he signs it great. If not, oh well. Count this year is 2.5 million

My Mock Draft (4 rounds)

1.Ezekial Ansuh, DE BYU Opposite Cam Wake. Ansuh is just beginning to find himself as a football. The defense is much better with a 2nd pass rusher. I think this kid is gonna be a fierce NFL player.

2a Tyler Eifert, TE Notre Dame The best TE in the draft, I think.

2b. Quinton Patton, WR Louisiana Tech- Learns behind Jennings. Big end zone target and has a couple years to flourish and/or can contribute behind Jennings, Wallace, and Bess.

3a. Margus Hunt, DE SMU You can never have too many pass rushers. Hunt is so good, but he may not mature much more since he is already 25. Im cool with that, this guy can get after it.

3b. Kyle Long, OT Oregon Depth. Good feet. Nice lineage. Has a year to compete for playing time if Jake Long doesnt pan out.

4. Brian Winters, OL Kent State Great feet, ZBS guy, played left tackle, could play in either G or T, needs strength.

4b. CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Connecticut Size and speed that Kevin Coyle seems to like in his corners. He is insurance if Sean Smith doesn't progress.

Opening Day 2013
The Offense looks something like this:

QB- Ryan Tannehill

FB- Javorskie Lane
RB- Reggie Bush/Lamar Miller

WR- Mike Wallace
WR- Greg Jennings
WR- Davone Bess
TE - Tyler Eifert

OLT- Jake Long
OLG- Richie Incognito
OC- Mike Pouncey
OG - John Jerry/ Brian Winters
ORT - Jonathan Martin / Kyle Long

The Defense might look something like this:

DE- Cameron Wake
DT- Paul Soliai
DT- Jared Odrick
DE - Ezekial Ansuh/Margus Hunt

LOLB - Kevin Burnett
MLB - Karlos Dansby
ROLB - Koa Misi

CB - Sean Smith
S - Reshard Jones
S - Chris Clemons
CB - Richard Marshall

Overall, I think this improves our offense and allows Ryan Tannehill to have some serious weapons on the offense. We have mismatches, we have guys that can score, and we have speed.

I also used our 1st rounder and one of our 3rd rouders on improving pass rush. We have depth and the increased pass rush should make our corners better. I also added some more youth and depth.

My own criticism would be that I did not add another S. If I could find any more money in Free agency I might spend it there.

Thoughts?

Well Merc

1) I like resigning Reggie Bush.
2) I'm now on the fence with resigning Sean Smith. I was a big fan of drafting him. (I had him in my mock). His performance has been like I want to give him an incomplete. Guess I can live with resigning him.
3) Jake Long I'm totally against resigning. Anything near an average of 7.5 million is overpaying.
4) Mike Wallace. I'm willing to marry you if we get Mike Wallace.
5) Greg Jennings. I'm willing to divorce you if we sign Greg Jennings.
6) Chris Clemons. I like. He will be relatively inexpensive. Will provide depth and as a homer he was another of my mock selections.

The Draft :

Cool with everyone except Margus Hunt. I think he is vastly overrated. In college he was a man playing against kids. There are many less kids in the NFL.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 6, Tackles 7 Assists 2 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 7 : Death 24 Joe 21
SUG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1). I can't get onboard with brining back either J. Long or S. Smith unless they were to conceed the "home town discount". Not realistic.

2). Tyler Eifert WILL NOT get out of thr 1st rnd. We either take him @ #12 or we manufacture a way to get back inside the top 20.

sug
SUG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1). I can't get onboard with brining back either J. Long or S. Smith unless they were to conceed the "home town discount". Not realistic.

2). Tyler Eifert WILL NOT get out of thr 1st rnd. We either take him @ #12 or we manufacture a way to get back inside the top 20.

sug
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All in all, some great feedback. As I said, its a work in progress, and it was also pre-combine. My feelings have changed about a few players and I may make some changes. Bottom line, I believe we need to revamp the WR's entirely. I'd also like a playmaker at TE. Tannehill needs a full stable of playmakers so we can see what he can do.

We have a lot of needs, and its a tough assignment to correct them all, but I think a lot can be done with 45 million and a bucket full of picks.
SUG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
All in all, some great feedback. As I said, its a work in progress, and it was also pre-combine. My feelings have changed about a few players and I may make some changes. Bottom line, I believe we need to revamp the WR's entirely. I'd also like a playmaker at TE. Tannehill needs a full stable of playmakers so we can see what he can do.

We have a lot of needs, and its a tough assignment to correct them all, but I think a lot can be done with 45 million and a bucket full of picks.

Well merc, correct me if I'm wrong here but ...
I wonder if if it outside of the realm of posibility that Ireland & Philbin try to generate a trade that
concedes pks 2B and 3A to move back up.
We then come away drafting a DE - OL and TE all in the top 50.

Not including the M. Wallace acquisition.

By my tally that would be an addition of 4 high quality new starters all in positions of need as well.

sug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: