Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My last one and I’m sticking to it!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: My last one and I’m sticking to it!!! Reply with quote

Ok guys… this is my last one till leading up to draft day, I swear!!!

Free Agency:

1. Jermon Bushrod OT Saints

In all likely hood the Saints will eventually have to decide if it would be more prudent to keep aging veteran skill players around Brees, or if that money would be better served investing it into the man that has been Drew’s blindside protector since 2009. While much has been made of exactly what the value of Bushrod will be on the open market, in the end I see Bushrod and the Saints coming to terms on a contract extension somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-6.5 million annually. This would retain the cohesiveness of the group intact and provide Brees with a similar level of comfort heading into the 2013 season.

This resigning however will not be as smooth as one would think. With many hole to fill defensively and the Saints being short on cap space, Mickey Loomis will have to get creative here and more than likely find himself in a “rob Peter to pay Paul” scenario. Players such as Zach Strief, Pierre Thomas & Devery Henderson will likely all find themselves as cap casualties because of this but those guys are simply luxury players the Saints can no longer afford.

2. Rickey Jean Francois DT/DE 49ers

After resigning there top free agent priority in LT Jermon Bushrod, Mickey Loomis will then turn his attention to doing what he does best and that’s finding young second tier free agents that have potential and represent instant and long-term value at a reasonable price.

His first target should be the former LSU Tiger Francois. In 3 years at San Francisco, Francois has developed into a very promising and versatile 34 DT/DE under Jim Tomsula. The 49ers would love to bring Francois back as their key reserve along their defensive front but Rickey Jean will likely not only be looking for a decent contract but also the opportunity to compete for a starting job. Francois is a very athletic tackle with good size for the position who excels and both a run stopper and a pass rusher. Most LSU fans remember him as the MVP of the Tigers national championship game vs. the Ohio State Buckeyes. Adding Francois would give Rob Ryan the athletic under tackle he needs at the left defensive end position and would allow Cameron Jordan to kick over to the right side, while Akiem Hicks provides depth as the teams 4th rotational defensive lineman. This move also allows the Saints to part ways with aging veteran DE Will Smith and makes the position less of a need come draft day.

3. Tracy Porter CB Broncos

The prodigal son returns! Honestly this has nothing to do with Darren Sharper’s recent tweet that Porter would in fact return but that Porter’s risk taking and knack for making game defying interceptions in critical moments of a game will fit well in what Rob Ryan’s likes to do defensively. I think now we all understand why the Saints were unwilling to hand out a substantial contract to Porter last offseason because of his injury history but at the same time I believe deep down the Saints realized they missed Tracy’s flare and play making potential as well. I expect Porter and the Saints this time to find common ground on a suitable contract and bring back the hero of our superbowl victory as our new nickel corner behind Greer and Robinson.

4. Victor Butler OLB Cowboys

Typically when a guy like Rob Ryan arrives to a new team and especially when a defensive change in philosophy is taking place, that coach almost always brings over a few of his former players to help ease in the transition. While these players might not be deemed starters upon their arrival, they usually add competition at the position and solid depth if they do not earn the starting job.

Here the Saints land a young promising rush linebacker in Butler that played under Ryan over the last two seasons in Dallas, that will provide tense completion to the incumbents at outside linebacker as well as solid depth to the position.

5. James Casey TE/HB Texans

The release of Dave Thomas caught many by surprise but the former Saints favorite was carrying a 2 million dollar cap figure as well as battling concussion issues as of late. His inability to remain healthy and his hefty cap number are the reasons the Saints were forced to release him and I do not expect him back.

Casey gives the Saints a younger more explosive version of Thomas. He’s a lunch pail role player that can line up as a tight end, in the slot, at H-Back & fullback. His versatility will be extremely valued to a coach like Sean Payton and his addition will give the Saints a sense of security behind Jimmy Graham barring injury or problems with his looming contract negation.

6. Charlie Peprah SS Cowboys

Peprah is yet another former Rob Ryan defender from Dallas and while many may not know much about him, he should be on the Saints radar screen. Peprah is a very compact, physical defender who makes up for his lack of overall speed with great instincts for the position. Roman Harper will likely have to rework his contract to remain with the Saints but even so, Peprah’s addition would give Ryan some security behind Harper if the Saints safety continues to struggle like he did in 2012.

Saints 2013 Mock Draft:

Saints trade the 15th pick to the Seahawks for the 25th & 56th picks in the 2013 NFL draft.
1. (25) Jonathan Hankins NT Ohio State

While I do believe Brodrick Bunkley can and will serve as a functional 34 nose tackle, I also realize that his return in 2013 will likely be a one year rental. Yes, Bunkley can play the position but his pay grade will exceed his production and looking into the 2013 offseason, Bunkley’s contract will likely be one of the first to be slashed in order to find the money to get Jimmy Graham extended long-term.

In this trade, the Saints are able to move down with the Seattle Seahawks (who are looking to move up for a receiver) and recoup the 2nd round pick that was taken from them in the “pay for performance fiasco”.

Hankins give the Saints a big bodied nose guard with the potential to be special and help’s fill the defensive’s top priority in stopping the run.
NFL Comparison: Phil Taylor, Cleveland Browns

Saints trade the 56th pick and RB Chris Ivory to the Rams for the 46th pick.
2. (46) Tyler Wilson QB Arkansas

Before anyone get’s this twisted, just hear me out. I understand many of you will disagree with me on this but here’s my reasoning. This selection is no different than the Patriots selecting Ryan Mallet in the 3rd round a few years ago. Drew Brees is 34 years old folks. He’s sitting on what basically is a 3 year 60 million dollar deal that has a team option for a 4th & 5th year for 20 million per. I totally understand how some could never imagine Drew wearing any other color other than the black and gold. My answer to that is go ask the fans in Indianapolis or Green Bay if there was a point where they also felt that same way about Brett Favre and Peyton Manning.

Don’t misunderstand me… I see Brees with 2-3 years left with the Saints. He’ll absolutely finish out the last two seasons on that 3 year 60 million deal because he’s still at the top of his game and most of that money have been guaranteed. It’s in 2015 that is where the questions begin…

Brees will be going on 37 years old and due 20 million in base salaries. Sure he could rework his deal but who knows where Drew will be in his life at that time, what injuries he may be feeling the effects of and what other outside interest he’ll have other than football. The one thing that I know is that when the draft gives you an opportunity, you take it! Wilson is a 1st round talent and possesses a lot of the same physical skills and temperament that Favre and Romo has and that’s why Sean Payton tried to trade for one of those two guys before deciding on signing Brees in free agency. Wilson is a gritty old school accurate gunslinger that isn’t afraid to stand in the pocket to deliver the football. Landing a talent like him to sit and learn behind Drew Brees over the next 2-3 years will ensure the long-term success and competitiveness of this franchise well after Drew is gone much in the way Aaron Rodgers has for Green Bay and if I have a good feel for how Sean Payton thinks, he’ll be looking at this acquired 2nd round selection as simply playing with house money. Remember, not everyone will be lucky enough to have an Andrew Luck fall into their laps!
NFL Comparison: Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys

3. (75) Brandon Jenkins DE/OLB Florida State

In another classic Mickey Loomis/Sean Payton move the Saints take an injury risk here in the 3rd on a pass rusher with a 1st round skill set. Jenkins is an explosive athlete off the edge but he’s battled injuries during his college career. He possesses a well developed array of pass rush moves and counter moves and is a fluid enough athlete to play in space.

With Junior Galette, Martez Wilson & Victor Butler already onboard, the Saints can afford Jenkins the time to get fully healthy and ease into his transition as an outside 34 edge rusher on the next level. This pick for obvious reasons reminds me very much of Justin Houston to the Chiefs a few years back. Jenkins has the ability to eventually have the same type of impact for the Saints that Houston has had for the Chiefs.
NFL Comparison: Justin Houston, Kansas City Chiefs

4. (106) Christine Michael RB Texas A&M

With Pierre Thomas released and Chris Ivory traded, the Saints finally are in a position to give more of a workload in the backfield to both Darren Sproles & Mark Ingram. Travaris Cadet gives the Saints a quality reserve behind Sproles in Sean Payton’s offensive attack but finding a quality backup behind Ingram with a similar running style will be a priority and I think Payton may have found his guy.

The Saints have reportedly shown interest in A&M’s Michael at both the East-West Shrine game and NFL combine and it’s easy to see why. At 5’10” 215lbs, Michael is a bowling ball of a runner built in the same mold as Ingram with a similar running style. Michael is also a solid receiver out of the backfield as well and would give the Saints an excellent replacement for Thomas and Ivory at running back depth behind Ingram.
NFL Comparison: Jonathan Stewart, Carolina Panthers

5. (137) Zaviar Gooden WILB Missouri

The Saints always seem to find gems in the last few rounds that many times turn out to be diamonds in the rough and develop into great players for the Saints, I expect that trend to continue. Gooden is a very athletic linebacker with superb athleticism. He possesses a smaller frame and bulk for the position but is a blue collar football player who would really excel in Rob Ryan’s scheme and give the Saints an explosive athlete in the middle of their line backing core.
NFL Comparison: Navarow Bowman, San Francisco 49ers

6. (170) Aaron Mellette WR Elon

The Saints were finally forced to throw in the towel on Adrian Arrington but will look here to add another sure handed big bodied receiver in Elon’s Mellette. A small school prospect, Mellette may go higher but will likely not run fast at the combine causing his stock to drop somewhat but Mellette is a guy who knows how to get open and to use his big body and sure hands to always come down with the football. Mellette has the exact kind of qualities that Sean Payton looks for in a receiver and would be a very good fit in this Saints offense.
NFL Comparison: Marcus Colston, New Orleans Saints

I promise that’s the end of it… WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the the Wilson pick and I was like "HEEEEELLLLL NAAAAAWW" then I read it and it makes ALOT of sense. Always better to be early rather than late.

....still don't like Hankins though. Very Happy Id rather take Minter or Te'o there than Hankins.

Subzer04Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this mock
FLOODx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The free agency is good. I don't have a problem with any of the signings. I've got to admit, I was the biggest Tracy Porter hater and I wanted him gone so bad last offseason, but he's good in coverage.. Just can't tackle a damn thing. I do like the versatility of James Casey; good signing. I like Hankins, but that's the extent of it. I'm not in love with him as a prospect. Not a fan of the rest of the draft. I get why you have us taking a QB, and Tyler Wilson is my favorite QB in this draft, but I think we can wait until next season. We need to add as much talent and depth to this defense as possible. If we draft a QB, RB, and WR I'll be pretty disappointed. I'm a fan of Jenkins and Gooden, so those are my two favorite picks in the mock.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
Harper41

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hated it honestly worm. Hankins is plummeting down draft boards, and for good reason and then we trade Ivory to move up to get a QB? I don't like it. Not to mention that leaves us with Mark Ingram and Darren Sproles as the only HBs on our roster, which leaves us having to draft one. If we sign Francois, theirs absolutely no reason to draft Hankins.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: