Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

QB Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisororke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: QB Question Reply with quote

Just curious to see if anyone knows how they measure a QBs hand length at the combine. Is it thumb to pinky, or wrist to middle finger? You can speculate your answer if you want but I asked mort, Mel, and those guys on twitter and got no response yet and I think it is legitimately a good question. Post if you know for sure bc I could see arguments for both sides
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know what method they use with certainty, but the two methods I'm aware of are around the widest part of the palm (between the opening of the thumb and index finger) and the other method is from the wrist line just below the base of the hand to the tip of the middle finger.

I do believe I've seen them use the later method.

I believe you will find that both measurements are very similar. For glove measurement purposes you would take the greater of both but like I mentioned they are probably very similar.

...you have a forum resume?
chrisororke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright cool, thanks. Yeah I was playing around with mine just to see how it compared. I'm 6'1" on the dot and when I measured it was 8 1/2 wrist to finger and 9 1/2 widest part of extended thumb to pinky.

I was reading and Daunte Culpepper had one of smaller hand measurements for a guy his size bc he had a condition where he couldn't separate his fingers, like they got stuck or he couldn't do it or whatever. That made me believe it was more of a measurement of thumb to pinky. That made sense to me bc when you palm a basketball or put hand around football you use your thumb and pinky to get around the fattest part of the ball.

Like you don't use your middle finger and wrist and cup it like Dr J. It's more of a width thing, than a length thing. But good looks

Mike Vick 8 1/2 hands, biggest hands Druckenmiller. So, can't make a correlation of skill to size of hands, although I believe it has to help to have bigger hands

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: