Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What about these two guys for QB?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetfuel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: What about these two guys for QB? Reply with quote

I know the QB class is very week in the draft and FA. What do you guys think about Brandon Weeden and Colt McCoy?

I personally like Weeden. I know he is 28 years old and had a hard year with the Browns. The guy has a cannon for an arm. I remember him throwing the ball into a huge wind either at the pro day or senior bowl and was hitting everything. I would look and see if the browns would trade him for a low round pick or even a Tebow or Mark Sanchez trade. Weeden is also on a rookie contract that is pretty cheap. He would be a lot cheaper than Alex Smith

Colt McCoy is not the pro type QB you want running the WCO. He is very short and has an average arm. I think he is a good back up that could beat 2 of the 3 QB on the jets roster now.

What do you guys think
rickyt31

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned Colt in another thread. I think he can be a option to come in and compete with Sanchez and a rookie. Won't cost much at all. Not a deep passer so MM might not have him high on his list. But I still think he can be a solid starter or a good back up under the right system.

Depends on the asking price on Weeden. He might fit this offense well.

Both QB's don't have great numbers, but I would go with Colt because I'm not expecting us to land a franchise QB this season and he can be brought in for cheap. Low risk situation. Only 26yrs I believe.

Quote:
Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it. - Johnny Depp
jets81keller

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCoy wasn't given a good shot in Cleveland, although Shurmur's offense is WCO if I'm not mistaken? If we grab a good RB in the draft and have Powell and the pick slamming it down I think Colt is a smart game manager...probably cheap too
rampantjet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take a pass on both of these guys. McCoy is so so, but has some physical limitations.

Weeden is 29 atm, and will be 30 shortly after next season starts. He just got to late of a start in the NFL to be able to adapt to the NFL game and still be able to put together enough good years.
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see either happening. I can't see Weeden or McCoy being that much better than Sanchez to require trading for.

Keep your draft currency, and find some talent.
quietjetsket

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Walsh Griffin.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quietjetsket wrote:
Ryan Walsh Griffin.

Wooooooo!!!!

Quote:
Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it. - Johnny Depp
Colt45fool

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If moving a 4th or a 5th is an option for Weeden, I think we have to take it. He's still a better prospect than just about anyone in this draft and to be had for that late of a pick...and he's only in his 2nd year. Sure, he's 30, but the move is low risk, high reward. He's not a franchise QB, but he gives us a better option than what we have right now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt45fool wrote:
If moving a 4th or a 5th is an option for Weeden, I think we have to take it. He's still a better prospect than just about anyone in this draft and to be had for that late of a pick...and he's only in his 2nd year. Sure, he's 30, but the move is low risk, high reward. He's not a franchise QB, but he gives us a better option than what we have right now.

I agree 100%.
Raoul Duke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This team has to find a franchise QB. IMO, bringing in a guy who you don't think can ever be that guy is a waste of a draft pick.

- Cliff Burton
sandwhich

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raoul Duke wrote:
This team has to find a franchise QB. IMO, bringing in a guy who you don't think can ever be that guy is a waste of a draft pick.

Agreed. I don't have any objection to signing one of these guys to a one or two year deal, but we cannot give something up for them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandwhich wrote:
Raoul Duke wrote:

Agreed. I don't have any objection to signing one of these guys to a one or two year deal, but we cannot give something up for them.

I agree with both of you. No trades and no big FA signings. I want to stock pile picks and build from within. I like Landry Jones a lot. EJ has intrigued me too but I think Jones can be had for a lower pick.
Colt45fool

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
sandwhich wrote:
Raoul Duke wrote:

I agree with both of you. No trades and no big FA signings. I want to stock pile picks and build from within. I like Landry Jones a lot. EJ has intrigued me too but I think Jones can be had for a lower pick.
If you can get Weeden for a 4th just to compete with Sanchez, why wouldn't you?

Not only that but if he's not the answer you draft someone in a better QB class (next year or the year after) and let Weeden hold as a stop gap. We at least know what we have in Sanchez...why not give a better QB a chance? One that can become a franchise QB (but likely isn't.) I know he's old, but he's only in his 2nd year....and he's a better and more intriguing option than any FA or draft pick.

What baffles me is how you guys are against Weeden for a 4th, but OK with taking all these (likely) busts to groom like Barkley or Glennon in the late first/early second. I'd rather just not take a QB. Why not take the better prospect for cheaper?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take Weeden for anything less than a 4th.

Adopt a Jet: Sheldon Richardson

Tackles - 77
Sacks - 3.5
Forced Fumbles - 1
4 Carries - 4 Yards - 2 TDs
jetfuel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt45fool wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:
sandwhich wrote:
Raoul Duke wrote:

If you can get Weeden for a 4th just to compete with Sanchez, why wouldn't you?

Not only that but if he's not the answer you draft someone in a better QB class (next year or the year after) and let Weeden hold as a stop gap. We at least know what we have in Sanchez...why not give a better QB a chance? One that can become a franchise QB (but likely isn't.) I know he's old, but he's only in his 2nd year....and he's a better and more intriguing option than any FA or draft pick.

What baffles me is how you guys are against Weeden for a 4th, but OK with taking all these (likely) busts to groom like Barkley or Glennon in the late first/early second. I'd rather just not take a QB. Why not take the better prospect for cheaper?

I agree with you. I would give a 5th for Weeden and if Jones is in the 4th you take him or a Barkley in the 3rd. We need more options and see what they all can do in camp. I'm a strong believer in that athletes play hard if they know they can lose there spot at anytime. Mark just laid down when Tebow was added instead of showing everyone who runs the team by playing hard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: