Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Drafting Gore's Replacement
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyLeesAunt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Drafting Gore's Replacement Reply with quote

How do you guys feel about finding a replacement for Gore in this draft?
He obviously would not get much playing time right off the back but he would be good in time. And I think there are some good power backs with some speed in the draft class.

I think Lattimore is a darkhorse and will take the league by storm. He would, in my opinion, be an excellent replacement.

I don't know if it is just me but I can't see Hunter/James carrying the load for the run game by themselves. We will desperately need a Gore-like back in the next year or so.
struby3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll likely get more responses if you post in the draft thread. Welcome to FF.
sbrown

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think hunter and LMJ can cary the load as we add weapons on the outside. Prior to JH we ran a smash mouth run offense that required a bigger back that would pound the rock. But as you spread defenses out and the threat of the vertical pass takes the safety out the box which allows for a shifty back to thrive in our offense

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbrown wrote:
I think hunter and LMJ can cary the load as we add weapons on the outside.

+1

___
Cali2Wisco

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to get a power type back in this draft. Who knows how Hunter is going to come back from his injury, he is also on the smaller side.

Someone like Lattimore or Montee Ball would be great.

kiltman on the sig
Forge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only really have 2 rbs in this draft i really like, Taylor and lattimore. I'd be okay with draft lattimore in the bottom of the third on talent alone. Otherwise, I see no dire need to draft gores replacement right now. Hunter and James can pick up the slack if gore stumbles this upcoming year. Running backs typically just don't require the turn around time other positions need to adjust to the NFL game, so we could draft a rookie when gore is officially done and it'd be fine in my opinion

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
I only really have 2 rbs in this draft i really like, Taylor and lattimore. I'd be okay with draft lattimore in the bottom of the third on talent alone. Otherwise, I see no dire need to draft gores replacement right now. Hunter and James can pick up the slack if gore stumbles this upcoming year. Running backs typically just don't require the turn around time other positions need to adjust to the NFL game, so we could draft a rookie when gore is officially done and it'd be fine in my opinion

This. Let's cross the bridge when we get to the river. What's the point of having a young HB who will be disgruntled over lack of playing time. If Gore goes down, we'll simply run more read-option and outside runs with Hunter and LaMike, give Hampton a shot, or sign a journeyman free agent to try to fill in, just like every NFL team has to do. Or we'll throw more. Now that we have Kap, throwing more isn't as frightening a consideration as it once was, is it?

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
AndyLeesAunt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
Or we'll throw more. Now that we have Kap, throwing more isn't as frightening a consideration as it once was, is it?

I agree that we will be throwing more and I have complete confidence in Kaep. The only thing is that our o-line is built to run the ball and our d is made for long sustained offensive drives. I would love to be the type of team that can score in a hurry and at will although not at the cause of our defense. We rarely substitute given the lack of depth on the defensive side of the ball.

Would our d be able to last a whole season with this possible high flying offense? I personally am not so sure it would.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyLeesAunt wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
Or we'll throw more. Now that we have Kap, throwing more isn't as frightening a consideration as it once was, is it?

I agree that we will be throwing more and I have complete confidence in Kaep. The only thing is that our o-line is built to run the ball and our d is made for long sustained offensive drives. I would love to be the type of team that can score in a hurry and at will although not at the cause of our defense. We rarely substitute given the lack of depth on the defensive side of the ball.

Would our d be able to last a whole season with this possible high flying offense? I personally am not so sure it would.

Well, the difference would be that instead of being a top 3 defense, it would probably be borderline top 10. The goal would still be to outscore opponents. We did it on average 23-14 with Alex (heavy run) and 25-16 with Kap (heavy Kap). If we had to throw more to compensate for the loss of Gore, we'd both score more and allow more points, but we'd still be built to win. But the fact remains that Gore is still playing well and is healthy. If we drafted a HB in this draft, how likely would he be to see the field? If we picked one with an early pick, and he's inactive all year, won't we wish we had spent that pick on a DL or LB or S or WR or C... we did that last year, but to be honest, when we picked LaMike, it wasn't to be a HB. It was to be speed. He is speed. He is playmaking. He is a homerun. If we drafted a Gore-like back, he would be a roster spot, and nothing else, until we're done with Gore.

AndyLeesAunt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we drafted a Gore-like back, he would be a roster spot, and nothing else, until we're done with Gore.

We will need someone who can finish games and I don't know a better finisher than Gore. I agree, that drafting a back similar to Gore will simply be just filling a roster spot but how much does Franky have left in him? This is his last year, he is getting old and he has been used all the way down to the bone. I just think there are some rb's in this draft who can be similar to Gore in the future. Similar in the sense that they would both be able to pound the rock out to finish the game.

If we are switching to a more spread/pistol offense, we will need a big speedy back. Look at the Redskins and Alfred Morris. They run pistol and Morris is a big back with some speed and he is killing it.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyLeesAunt wrote:
If we drafted a Gore-like back, he would be a roster spot, and nothing else, until we're done with Gore.

We will need someone who can finish games and I don't know a better finisher than Gore. I agree, that drafting a back similar to Gore will simply be just filling a roster spot but how much does Franky have left in him? This is his last year, he is getting old and he has been used all the way down to the bone. I just think there are some rb's in this draft who can be similar to Gore in the future. Similar in the sense that they would both be able to pound the rock out to finish the game.

If we are switching to a more spread/pistol offense, we will need a big speedy back. Look at the Redskins and Alfred Morris. They run pistol and Morris is a big back with some speed and he is killing it.

Prior to Hunter's injury, Gore was averaging 16 carries per game (16,4 after Hunter went down, but that's brought down by having only 6 carries against Seattle), and Kendall 6,5. Honestly, we didn't run as much as I would have liked, this year. In my ideal offense, Gore would get 15 carries, Hunter 10 and James would get 5. The point of it would be to keep Gore fresh for end of games and end of seasons. I think we can still have two more productive years out of him.

big9erfan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyLeesAunt wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

There is, rightly a lot of love here for Hunter and James. Consequently a bit of unwillingness to face the reality that there are few if any successful backs of heir size in the NFL. The very few of their size there are (although none are as short as Hunter) also are among the fastest guys in the league. There are no successful backs of their size and speed in the league. So I, for one, think you are right to be wondering when will be the right time to look for a replacement for Gore because I doubt we have one on the team now.

The problem is that with Hunter and James and Dixon there is no room for another back without getting rid of one or two of them. Dixon is our only power back but he could easily go if we had another bigger back that was better than him. The question is whether this is the year to begin that process or whether we can afford to wait another year or two.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely agree that we are a team that has a great OL that is built to run the football. There is no need to change our identity just because we have the ability to air it out more with Kaep. That said, I don't see a reason to address the issue of Gore eventually leaving or losing a step yet. He looked great all year with other guys to give him a breather. I think it would be a big mistake to try and change what makes us successful as a team when he does eventually become a less productive player. When we have a every down threat at RB, it makes life much easier for Kaep and our WRs.

MAC DRE wrote:
I'd rather have young Wagner and Wright going forward than Willis and Bowman.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
AndyLeesAunt wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

There is, rightly a lot of love here for Hunter and James. Consequently a bit of unwillingness to face the reality that there are few if any successful backs of heir size in the NFL. The very few of their size there are (although none are as short as Hunter) also are among the fastest guys in the league. There are no successful backs of their size and speed in the league. So I, for one, think you are right to be wondering when will be the right time to look for a replacement for Gore because I doubt we have one on the team now.

The problem is that with Hunter and James and Dixon there is no room for another back without getting rid of one or two of them. Dixon is our only power back but he could easily go if we had another bigger back that was better than him. The question is whether this is the year to begin that process or whether we can afford to wait another year or two.

You again fail to explain why Hunter and James can't get it done, other than by citing size. Is it durability? Just say so, if you think that's the concern we face. Is it effectiveness? If so, how? Will they suddenly run slower because they have more carries? Will they have worse vision? Or do you think we can't use as many of the inside runs with them, and that the lack of diversity will be their undoing? Just explain it by saying something other than "there are few successful backs their size". Two of the best RBs in NFL history were as small as Hunter is. Warrick Dunn, a player the size of James had a long and productive, mostly injury-free, career. So, are you basing your opinion on an assessment of their talent, or just on statistics-based fear?

adamq

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
sbrown wrote:
I think hunter and LMJ can cary the load as we add weapons on the outside.

+1

Agreed.. Once Gore is gone a third back will be needed, but Jewell could even be that guy.

-kiltman

Uncle Buck wrote:
I'd rather have Tebow than any other QB in the NFL besides Rodgers, and I may even take him over Rodgers due to the difference in age.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: