Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What if?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
JWingate wrote:
I wouldn't take the trade and select Kenny Vaccaro.

You sir, are crazy. None of the Safeties in this class pose as much value as that trade. We'd get multiple long-term starters in multiple spots rather than focusing on one overrated Safety prospect.

Well lets be honest, that trade will never happen and Vaccaro is a top prospect in this draft at a premium position and tbh I feel is a weak position in this draft.

This is one of the deepest Safety classes the draft has had in close to a decade. It's very deep. You'll find starters into the 4th and possibly 5th round in this draft. This draft is deep at interior offensive linemen (C, OG), defensive tackle (NT, UT and DT), and Safety (FS, SS). If we play our cards right, we could fill a huge number of holes this year; holes which have existed for a decade. If we're able to trade down like ninja's scenario (or something similar), we'd be able to net two starting OGs, a starting C, a starting DT, and a starting Safety in the first 4 rounds. Vacarro cannot and will not compensate for that kind of long term depth, nor would he improve the performance of our current abomination of an o-line. The least important position on a defense - even at a need position - is not worth that much compared to the compensation we'd get by trading down. Not remotely.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
ninjaneer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
JWingate wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
JWingate wrote:

You sir, are crazy. None of the Safeties in this class pose as much value as that trade. We'd get multiple long-term starters in multiple spots rather than focusing on one overrated Safety prospect.

Well lets be honest, that trade will never happen and Vaccaro is a top prospect in this draft at a premium position and tbh I feel is a weak position in this draft.

This is one of the deepest Safety classes the draft has had in close to a decade. It's very deep. You'll find starters into the 4th and possibly 5th round in this draft. This draft is deep at interior offensive linemen (C, OG), defensive tackle (NT, UT and DT), and Safety (FS, SS). If we play our cards right, we could fill a huge number of holes this year; holes which have existed for a decade. If we're able to trade down like ninja's scenario (or something similar), we'd be able to net two starting OGs, a starting C, a starting DT, and a starting Safety in the first 4 rounds. Vacarro cannot and will not compensate for that kind of long term depth, nor would he improve the performance of our current abomination of an o-line. The least important position on a defense - even at a need position - is not worth that much compared to the compensation we'd get by trading down. Not remotely.
I concur.
ninjaneer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStarStillShines wrote:
First, it won't take that much for teams to move up 2 or 3 spots. Remmber the Boys only gave up a 2nd-round pick to move from 14 to 6 last year. At most, it will take a 3rd-round pick for team to go from 21 to 18.

That said, if those deals were on the table, you definitely make the trades since a lot players in the 15 to 30 range are quite comparable and the Boys have plenty of needs.
the first trade was for a 4 and a 5 (Cinci actually wins the points battle) and the second trade was for a 5th and a 6th (we won the points battle by a couple)...
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Plan regarding Vacarro. I still fail to see the hype surrounding this guy.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rd 1 - Pick 23 - Jonathan Cooper, OG
Rd 2 - Pick 47 - Kawann Short, DT
Rd 3 - Pick 80 - Christine Michael, RB
Rd 4 - Pick 111 - Brian Schwenke, C
Rd 4 - Pick 117 - Brennan Williams, OT
Rd 5 - Pick 144 - Jelani Jenkins, OLB
Rd 5 - Pick 149 - Josh Evans, FS
Rd 5 - Pick 151 - David Bass, DE
Rd 6 - Pick 175 - Jordan Rodgers, QB
Rd 6 - Pick 183 - Quanterus Smith, DE

So...that could be our draft! Very Happy

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
JWingate wrote:

You realize those are a 4th, two 5ths, amd a 6th... what long term starters are you gettinf?

Sig courtesy of mack.
ninjaneer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using today's CBS rankings:
Rd 1 - Pick 23 - Jonathan Cooper OG North Carolina
Rd 2 - Pick 47 - Travis Frederick C Wisconsin
Rd 3 - Pick 80 - Andre Ellington RB Clemson
Rd 4 - Pick 111 - DJ Swearinger S South Carolina
Rd 4 - Pick 117 - Chase Thomas OLB Stanford
Rd 5 - Pick 144 - Montori Hughes DT Tennessee-Martin
Rd 5 - Pick 149 - Brennan Williams OT North Carolina
Rd 5 - Pick 151 - David Bass DE Missouri Western State
Rd 6 - Pick 175 - Cory Grissom DT South Florida
Rd 6 - Pick 183 - Michael Williams TE Alabama
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I knew I could wait and get Cooper, then yeah, I would go ahead and make those trades. Otherwise, I might just stay put and take the top guy on my board. I'd even like to see us package some of those late round picks and get back up in the 3rd. I think there will be a lot of value picks in the 3rd-4th rounds of the draft this year

Check out my draft thread!
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=490478t=447580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
JWingate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
JWingate wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
JWingate wrote:

I misspoke this draft is very weak at the FS position, there are plenty of SS in this draft that could fight for a starting position in training camp. There is essentially Kenny Vaccaro and Jonathan Cyprien other than that I am questionable on any other Safety competing for a starting job at FS. I would be willing to play Elam, Reid, Rambo, Wilcox all at SS. I also believe Vaccaro is a top 5 prospect in this draft.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:

I misspoke this draft is very weak at the FS position, there are plenty of SS in this draft that could fight for a starting position in training camp. There is essentially Kenny Vaccaro and Jonathan Cyprien other than that I am questionable on any other Safety competing for a starting job at FS. I would be willing to play Elam, Reid, Rambo, Wilcox all at SS. I also believe Vaccaro is a top 5 prospect in this draft.

Go check out Josh Evans, as a late round prospect.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
JWingate wrote:

You realize those are a 4th, two 5ths, amd a 6th... what long term starters are you gettinf?

With the o-line and Safety classes being as deep as they are, starters can be found in the 4th and 5th rounds, MH. I thought that my later statements about the depths of the areas where we need help in explained that well enough.

Northland wrote:
WareWolf94

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drafts strengths and depth match up almost perfectly with our needs, to me that signals alot of trade backs, leading to players we need falling into our laps.

Thanks to SHSTE

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25584

When you're right, you're right.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
JWingate wrote:

With the o-line and Safety classes being as deep as they are, starters can be found in the 4th and 5th rounds, MH. I thought that my later statements about the depths of the areas where we need help in explained that well enough.

I would love to know who you think we would get in the 5th amd 6th rounds to be long term starters - and you of all people should know we dont hit on those late round picks - were better off tradinf them all for 7th round picks and drafting all DL

Sig courtesy of mack.
TVScout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote 4th and 5th not 5th and 6th. Prospects for 4th and 5th include Tharold Simon, Kenyon Barner, Brennan Williams, Aaron Mellette, Braxton Cave, David Quessenberry.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
JWingate wrote:

I would love to know who you think we would get in the 5th amd 6th rounds to be long term starters - and you of all people should know we dont hit on those late round picks - were better off tradinf them all for 7th round picks and drafting all DL

Or using them as leverage to trade into the higher rounds. More picks = more options.

Northland wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: