Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Starks to be Franchised ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SUG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Starks to be Franchised ? Reply with quote

OK so according to A. Beasly of the Miami Herald the franchise tag could be used on Randy Starks.

I for one have been a huge fan of Starks as I feel he is not only the best DLinemen in Mia he is the most proven & versatile.

I firmly believe that any & all Deff success we've enjoyed starts with either Starks up the middle or the
combination of Soliai & Starks up the middle.

Now whether you agree with me or not on my evaluation surely you agree that he is the more
worthy of "the Tag" than S. Smith.
This could also send a message to J. Long that the terms of any contract negotiation are already defined by economics as it
is no secret were in the hunt for M. Wallace.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/02/22/3246076/miami-dolphins-say-they-likely.html

Thoughts ?
sug
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Starks to be Franchised ? Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
OK so according to A. Beasly of the Miami Herald the franchise tag could be used on Randy Starks.

I for one have been a huge fan of Starks as I feel he is not only the best DLinemen in Mia he is the most proven & versatile.

I firmly believe that any & all Deff success we've enjoyed starts with either Starks up the middle or the

Now whether you agree with me or not on my evaluation surely you agree that he is the more
This could also send a message to J. Long that the terms of any contract negotiation are already defined by economics as it

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/02/22/3246076/miami-dolphins-say-they-likely.html

Thoughts ?
sug

I'm fine with it....it is a better overall value then Smith or Long. IT will also give the team a chance to have another year to evaluate Odrick as to how much of an impact he can have inside or even trade him for picks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Starks to be Franchised ? Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
SUG wrote:

Thoughts ?
sug

I'm fine with it....it is a better overall value then Smith or Long. IT will also give the team a chance to have another year to evaluate Odrick as to how much of an impact he can have inside or even trade him for picks.

I agree VM71, it also buys us 1 yr till we can find a suitable replacement for the interior DLine should
Odrick not be in our future plans.

But I sure do hope there is another LOT or ROT candidate in the very near future as well.
This move sends J. Longs camp a very firm message & if I had to pick between Starks & Long well ... no brainer.

sug
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the deal, Starks and Soliai were a good combination last season. Kick Odrick inside and you have a good rotation with the 3. On passing downs, Starks and Odrick can come in and rush the passer.

If they tag Starks, they will look to get a deal done before the end of the season. If this happens, Soliai could be gone after his contract expires this season.

UniversalAuthor
SUG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagasse67 wrote:
Here is the deal, Starks and Soliai were a good combination last season. Kick Odrick inside and you have a good rotation with the 3. On passing downs, Starks and Odrick can come in and rush the passer.

If they tag Starks, they will look to get a deal done before the end of the season. If this happens, Soliai could be gone after his contract expires this season.

Howdy B67
I know Starks is "getting up there" but he hasn't shown signs that he is anything other than the best &
most versatile DLinemen in Mia.

You know it's not uncommon for some interior guys to flourish or at least be productive in the later portion of their careers.
Notables: KC Hampton, Vince Wilfork, (Mia) Furgeson, Justin Smith etc ...

I'm thinking we could put ourselves in a beneficial situation to trade Soliai to a 3/4 Deff team.
We may be able to generate a low 2nd/high 3rd rnd pk for him.

Just sayin, that would be financially more beneficial than letting him walk if we didn't have a suitable replacement in camp.

sug
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:

Howdy B67
I know Starks is "getting up there" but he hasn't shown signs that he is anything other than the best &

You know it's not uncommon for some interior guys to flourish or at least be productive in the later portion of their careers.

I'm thinking we could put ourselves in a beneficial situation to trade Soliai to a 3/4 Deff team.

Just sayin, that would be financially more beneficial than letting him walk if we didn't have a suitable replacement in camp.

sug

Yes, but you want to know that you can lock Starks up for a couple more seasons. Can we lock up Starks? Trading Soliai could happen if we sign a DT, draft a DT or are happy with Keeshton Randle. I know Odrick will be a mainstay at DT but Starks is unkown.

UniversalAuthor
SUG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagasse67 wrote:
SUG wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:

Howdy B67

sug

Yes, but you want to know that you can lock Starks up for a couple more seasons. Can we lock up Starks? Trading Soliai could happen if we sign a DT, draft a DT or are happy with Keeshton Randle. I know Odrick will be a mainstay at DT but Starks is unkown.

I'm pretty sure you got the highlighted part backwards. Smile

sug
SUG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagasse67 wrote:
SUG wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:

Howdy B67

sug

I love the idea of locking Starks up.
I'm not at all convinced that Odrick is a guaranteed fit as an interior DL outside of a rotational guy who
happens to be affordable.
Last yr in a 3/4 YES by all means but he hasn't shown me he's a lock in this scheme.

sug
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:
SUG wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:

Howdy B67

sug

I'm not at all convinced that Odrick is a guaranteed fit as an interior DL outside of a rotational guy who
Last yr in a 3/4 YES by all means but he hasn't shown me he's a lock in this scheme.

sug

You didn't watch him in college than. Odrick is a beast. He is strong, athletic, and can shed blocks. Odrick was able to take on double teams, shed blocks, and make plays in the backfield. Odrick can play interior and play at a high level. He was rated as one of he better interior lineman in his draft. Odrick succeeded at 3-4 DE which is at times very similar to playing UT in a 4-3.

UniversalAuthor
SUG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagasse67 wrote:
SUG wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:
SUG wrote:
Blagasse67 wrote:

Howdy B67

sug

sug

You didn't watch him in college than. Odrick is a beast. He is strong, athletic, and can shed blocks. Odrick was able to take on double teams, shed blocks, and make plays in the backfield. Odrick can play interior and play at a high level. He was rated as one of he better interior lineman in his draft. Odrick succeeded at 3-4 DE which is at times very similar to playing UT in a 4-3.

We shall see.

sug
Maddogg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we need to franchise him, just offer him a decent contract. I would love the rotation of Odrick, Soliai and Starks . McDaniel is the one who should be odd man out. This year would also let us evaluate Randall at DT and see if he fits in with our long term plans.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
I don't think we need to franchise him, just offer him a decent contract. I would love the rotation of Odrick, Soliai and Starks . McDaniel is the one who should be odd man out. This year would also let us evaluate Randall at DT and see if he fits in with our long term plans.

Agree with you I dont think we have to use the tag, I think they want too..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Starks a lot, hes got nasty to him! Hope we keep him around for at least one more year. You can never have too many good d lineman!
freak_of_nature

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather take a DT in the 3rd for depth than burn 8M on franchising Starks.
SUG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freak_of_nature wrote:
I'd rather take a DT in the 3rd for depth than burn 8M on franchising Starks.

Really, I'd rather:
* resign Starks (for less than 8 Mill/yr
* trade Soliai for a low 2nd/high 3rd
* Elevate one of the other DTs (rotaional)
* draft a DT in the 4th or the 5th rnd

That would leave Starks & Odrick in the middle.
2 other rotational players already on the roster
1 developmental

All at a very manageable price & we would already be entering the 2014 NFL Draft with 4 pks in rnds 1 - 3.
To me there is no question that Starks has been an every down DL since the day 1.
He is better in pursuit against QBs (faster) & consistently gets better penetration than Soliai.

sug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: