Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Titans signed former Bills Safety George Wilson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iceman88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
Iceman88 wrote:
Great signing add leadership and consistency to our defense. Could be a big help for Griffin and it allows us to draft a safety in the 2nd or 3rd and take our time bringing them along. Anyone who thinks this is a bad signing you know nothing about this guy, he is a true leader and a great football player.

Define great. Even in his prime, he wasn't great. He was an above average safety. I'll give you leadership but not a great football player. Bills fans theirselves even said he was on the downfall. 2 or 3 years ago, it would be a great signing. Now, it's just a blah signing. Definitely gives us leadership in our secondary but not sure it improves our team on the field. Still think safety should be a priority in rounds 2-3.

The injury has hampered him, and if he can recover better he can still be an above average. I characterized him as great because of everything that he can do not just on the field but off. Not to mention he feels like he is coming home so maybe that will help to elevate his play. I mean he already changed his twitter to be Tennessee Titans safety, which shows how excited he is. I think its a great signing. And its cheap which doesnt hurt.

Props to Kempes ^
SpacemanSpiff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
No safety in the 1st round.

I think we will still draft one in the mid rounds. Because the depth at the position sucks.

Not really an issue. The Titans need a veteran presence in the secondary who is a capable player. I think he can provide that. First round should focus on young, stud talent for the offensive line that can provide good protection from the interior while the teams works out long-term replacements for Roos and Stewart.

Ockham wrote:
Yeah. We wouldn't want a power run blocker. We prefer the ole' let CJ get hit in the backfeild type run blocker. My bad.
KingTitan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of the signing. It's at least trying to fix what was an issue. It gives someone who can play at a decent level for at least a year or two.

We had NOBODY who could last year. So this is an upgrade. He makes tackles and can do a good job providing leadership to a leaderless group.
justing101

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it mostly because its not expensive. And Mike Keith just said on the radio this will not stop them from drafting a S in the draft so I am just fine with it. I did not want us to draft Vaccaro in the 1st anyways.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not impressed. I hope I am surprised by great play from Wilson in the fall, not holding my breath waiting on that though. Welcome to the team George.

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
Dionysus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, he doesn't have to be a "great" player for it to be a "great" signing for us. He just has to be the "right" player and the right fit, which I think he is. Think about what all he brings to table. He's a seasoned veteran who's been well respected by his coaches (for a reason I might add). He can bring that experience and leadership to our secondary that Griff just don't have and the others are still too young to possess. He takes care of the dirty work in the box, allowing the FS to concentrate more on coverage. We got him for cheap, plus the guy is happy to be a Titan and actually WANTS TO BE HERE. The chemistry should be off the charts, and that speaks volumes, at least for me.
None of this means that we still won't draft a Safety, but we won't have to rush in onto the field too soon. For all we know at the moment, this move could just be the start of us simply relaoding our roster and releasing some dead weight at the position.

Last edited by Dionysus on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
titans0021

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small, low-risk contract for a veteran at a player of desperate need. Won't hear me complaining.

Adopted Titans - Sammie Lee Hill and Jackie Battle
LeeEvans

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, Bills fan here. George Wilson is a hell of a guy, a model professional and a leader. He was a captain for the Bills and was well respected in the team and in the community. However, as a player he has really gone downhill, specifically last season. He has lost a lot of speed and struggled in coverage and missed his fair share of tackles as well. He was a fan favorite and will always give a 100% but I don't know if he has enough left In the tank. I hope he can be a good player for you guys, as he really is a great person, but I have my doubts. The Bills didn't want to release him but he just wasn't good enough to merit a spot on the team.

The night is dark and full of terrors.
KingTitan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeEvans wrote:
Hey guys, Bills fan here. George Wilson is a hell of a guy, a model professional and a leader. He was a captain for the Bills and was well respected in the team and in the community. However, as a player he has really gone downhill, specifically last season. He has lost a lot of speed and struggled in coverage and missed his fair share of tackles as well. He was a fan favorite and will always give a 100% but I don't know if he has enough left In the tank. I hope he can be a good player for you guys, as he really is a great person, but I have my doubts. The Bills didn't want to release him but he just wasn't good enough to merit a spot on the team.

Luckily we not expecting the second coming of Ed Reed with his signing. We are coming off an historically bad year for our defense in with the SS spot was one of the biggest punchlines for this team.

If he can come in and simply "not get noticed" as weird as that sounds..then it's a good signing for us. lol

Give us at least one good year. We draft a safety in the mid rounds let him marinate and take over for Wilson next year or the year after.
Titans fan 617

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats gonna happen with Babs now is he a lock to be gone or we gonna keep him around because of the injury history from Wilson???

Sig by daboyle250

TITANIA FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS
VYoung10

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing man...

Quote:
“Just coming off the opportunity I’ve had to play with an elite safety in Jairus, now I get to continue my playing career alongside another elite safety in Griffin,” Wilson said. “For us, and with his playmaking ability, and both of our playing experience, I really think we can help shore up the secondary moving forward and I am just ready to get out there and compete with those guys.”

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pathetic that most fans & players think Griffins even average now. You will learn soon Wilson...you just have to witness one game.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VYoung10 wrote:
Sure thing man...

Quote:
“Just coming off the opportunity I’ve had to play with an elite safety in Jairus, now I get to continue my playing career alongside another elite safety in Griffin,” Wilson said. “For us, and with his playmaking ability, and both of our playing experience, I really think we can help shore up the secondary moving forward and I am just ready to get out there and compete with those guys.”

Umm in spite of his respectable credentials, we ARE still going to drug test this man, right? Confused
TitanSS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you decide whether or not you like the signing of George Wilson consider this:

1. The Titans were in desperate need of leadership in the back half of the defense.

2. Reportedly signed at 4 million over 2 years. Almost no risk involved at all.

3. He is still a huge upgrade over anyone we had starting at SS last year.

4. The lost cost, age, and leadership this signing brings allows us to look for a safety in the 3rd-4th rounds, a position which is rather deep in this years draft.

This is a very good signing for us. Not because George Wilson is a great safety or a game changer, but because it is an obvious upgrade over what we had at the position and while it may not make safety a strong point of our team, it makes it less of a weakness. That is big. The small contract allows us to still pursue playmakers at the position in the draft as well as players of other positions in free agency.

Thumbs up.
justing101

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
Before you decide whether or not you like the signing of George Wilson consider this:

1. The Titans were in desperate need of leadership in the back half of the defense.

2. Reportedly signed at 4 million over 2 years. Almost no risk involved at all.

3. He is still a huge upgrade over anyone we had starting at SS last year.

4. The lost cost, age, and leadership this signing brings allows us to look for a safety in the 3rd-4th rounds, a position which is rather deep in this years draft.

This is a very good signing for us. Not because George Wilson is a great safety or a game changer, but because it is an obvious upgrade over what we had at the position and while it may not make safety a strong point of our team, it makes it less of a weakness. That is big. The small contract allows us to still pursue playmakers at the position in the draft as well as players of other positions in free agency.

Thumbs up.

I agree. Now I just hope we are smart enough to get rid of Babs and Afalava now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: