Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Treat88's Pre Combine Mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treat88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Treat88's Pre Combine Mock Reply with quote

1. Cordarelle Patterson, WR TENN
2. Travis Kelce, TE CINN
3. Kiko Alonso, ILB
4. Kenjon Barner, RB ORE
5. Zaviar Gooden, OLB MIZZ
6. J.J. Wilcox, SS GASO
7. Brice Butler, WR SDSU

Tried to mix in some fallers and some reaches while trying to project what positions I would like to see the team address. This is put together from the standpoint of how I would go about picking my positions as a GM rather than trying to actually guess what the Steelers will do. For some reason, I think that would look very different.

I know I will be much higher on Kelce than most. Personally I think he's the best TE in the class, but all criticisms are welcome. I think Alonso and Kelce could easily be projected to switch slots depending on how folks see them.

Interesting exercise nonetheless.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
jebrick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of Kiko Alonso especially with out a NT to suck up the tackles. But because of the uncertainty about Spence I think he could be taken.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy I'm most unsure about on this list is Kiko Alonzo, because he's the guy I'm least familiar with. The rest of them, I wouldn't be heart broken. I think that Gooden could be a nice addition actually, he has some upside. Kelce, I'm not sure if I agree or not he's the best TE in the draft, but I also don't know that I'd be upset if we selected him.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry treat, hate it.

I like Patterson in the first but that is it.

7 starters on our defense our 32 or older and 3 of our first 4 picks are on offense? It would be one thing if they were huge steals, but guys like Kelce and Barner arguably are reaches at that point.

Dont like Alonso as an ILB either.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
armsteeld

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Treat88, how did Patterson fare vs the better DBs? MS ST, Bama, and LSU shuthim down! I could care less about his return ability. I am not sold on this guy and think he is as raw as Stephen Hill. We need an immediate contributor since many feel Wallace will be gone. Your thoughts?

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Sorry treat, hate it.

7 starters on our defense our 32 or older and 3 of our first 4 picks are on offense? It would be one thing if they were huge steals, but guys like Kelce and Barner arguably are reaches at that point.

Steelers losing 3 best skill position players to start next season on the 22nd ranked offense last season not to mention probably 2 starting(and most consistent) OL and you're interior swing guy in Legz is also a FA.

I understand what you're saying and the reasoning but 3/4 picks on offense is also with merit.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
@Treat88, how did Patterson fare vs the better DBs? MS ST, Bama, and LSU shuthim down! I could care less about his return ability. I am not sold on this guy and think he is as raw as Stephen Hill. We need an immediate contributor since many feel Wallace will be gone. Your thoughts?

Not that your argument has no merit, but its pretty weak to simply bring up a few games where he got "shut down", especially considering that has to do with a number of things beyond his own control.

And people called Calvin Johnson overrated because he got shut down and disappeared from some games.

In fact, you can look at pretty much any WR ever drafted and find some games where they got "shut down".

I respect if you dont like Patterson, and I agree he is more potential than proven talent, but simply bringing up that he got "shut down" in a few games doesnt prove he isnt worth the pick.

FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Sorry treat, hate it.

Steelers losing 3 best skill position players to start next season on the 22nd ranked offense last season not to mention probably 2 starting(and most consistent) OL and you're interior swing guy in Legz is also a FA.

I understand what you're saying and the reasoning but 3/4 picks on offense is also with merit.

Wallace and Mendy did nothing last season. Not sure what we are losing there...in terms of what they brought to the team in 2012, that is.

I assume you mean Heath as our other one, so I agree with that, but I wouldnt reach to draft a replacement.

Im thinking more long term, though. Ben makes this offense tick...I am all for giving him more weapons but this is not the way to go about it.

Looking at it from that standpoint, maybe it is justified, but in 2 years, people will look at a draft like this and say how silly it was to ignore the defense, because if Hampton and Harrison leave and Worlids and McLendon take their place....the defense will get tore up.

At least on offense, we have a franchise QB and some young talent.

Outside of Cortez Allen and Cam Heyward, we have nothing on defense.

armsteeld

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@43, you are so wrong this time. You are high speefd and I like that, however, my point is if a WR can't beat the better collegiate CBs, then he isn't worth 17th pick. I base my observation on said player vs elite competition and measureables. He disappears against better DBs! If a highly praised DE disappeared once he faced NFL level talent, would you reconsider his worth? Before you respond, remember comments you may have made about Wallace. So no I am basing my statement due to dislike of Patterson but rather his ability to contend.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
treat88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Sorry treat, hate it.

100% understand the dislike.

Lots of holes to fill with not enough available talent/cap to fill them.

I have come around to the "fix the offense, band-aid the defense" line of thinking in terms of trying to stay competitive in 2013.

I think a healthy Ben with some weapons around him gives us our best shot, but I fully understand wanting to take a more balanced approach.

As to the Patterson discussion, there are definitely reasons to wonder how he translates. Having weighed in at 216 and running like I believe he will run I don't believe he will be there at 17. He's all about projectability...how does professional coaching build on his obvious physical capabilities? How responsive is he to that coaching? Hard to know.

I do know if he interviews well and if he lasts he's potentially a Julio Jones clone.

If Justin Hunter runs well I would be very happy with either TENN prospect at 17.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im with 43 on this one.

Im ok with Patterson but prefer someone that run great routes and separates better.

Patterson can be Santonio though or a young Anquan Boldin maybe. My concern is he may just be a better Josh Cribbs.

If I'm going WR Im looking at Hopkins. Hunter did rise on my boards from no consideration to into consideration. He became more aggressive and showed ability to "go get it". I hadn't seen that in the little of 11 and beginning of 12.

Keenan Allen really is an unknown in a sense because he was hindered so much by the limited passing ability of his brother. What can he really do? how far behind is his development and understanding of routes, techniques and the in's and outs of the game? Most of his routes were quick slants that he fought for the ball, often thrown high or with little room to run because of the concentration of defenders on him.

Id also think seriously about Wheaton or Patton in the 2nd. Tavon Austin is a wild card, but Ace Sanders may be just as good.

...you have a forum resume?
SteelProven

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patterson has to much boom/bust for my liking. Especially since there are a bunch of other nearly equal players that could be had later. But I can honestly say I knew nothing about Patterson before the draft season started. But the few cut ups on YouTube. I don't want a WR but if the Steelers take one then I'll understand.

The rest of the draft is good fills some positional needs and put some much needed youth on defense.

If there is a WR I take in the first is Hopkins as he's a big body WR that gives the Steelers WR corp some much needed physicality.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Hopkins. His 40 time will tell were he is drafted. Hopkins is an inch shorter than Patterson but has longer arms and is a hand catcher. And runs good routes.

The comparison to Josh Cribs is very good. Patterson is explosive with the ball in his hands. He is boom/bust and those are better taken in the very late 1st to early 2nd at WR. A pass rusher like Ezekiel Ansah is also boom/bust but is is much harder finding those skills so he will go in the top 15 if not the top 10.

Keenan Allen comparison would be Marvin Harrison. Run good routes. Gets separation. Gets open. Nothing flashy.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
@43, you are so wrong this time. You are high speefd and I like that, however, my point is if a WR can't beat the better collegiate CBs, then he isn't worth 17th pick. I base my observation on said player vs elite competition and measureables. He disappears against better DBs! If a highly praised DE disappeared once he faced NFL level talent, would you reconsider his worth? Before you respond, remember comments you may have made about Wallace. So no I am basing my statement due to dislike of Patterson but rather his ability to contend.

You are seriously exaggerating his inability to get open against better CBs.

For one thing, he didnt even take on the best CBs most of the time. Justin Hunter did.

Justin Hunter was Tyler Bray's go to guy. Im a Hunter fan as well, but he doesnt have nearly the potential Patterson has.

Patterson was very raw, and still needs work, but he is the most explosive playmaker in the draft and all of his shortcomings are things that can be fixed with experience and coaching.

I get why some might not want him early, but simply continuing to claim he cant "contend"...THAT is what is "so wrong" here.

armsteeld

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
armsteeld wrote:

You are seriously exaggerating his inability to get open against better CBs.

For one thing, he didnt even take on the best CBs most of the time. Justin Hunter did.

Justin Hunter was Tyler Bray's go to guy. Im a Hunter fan as well, but he doesnt have nearly the potential Patterson has.

Patterson was very raw, and still needs work, but he is the most explosive playmaker in the draft and all of his shortcomings are things that can be fixed with experience and coaching.

I get why some might not want him early, but simply continuing to claim he cant "contend"...THAT is what is "so wrong" here.

Thanks for strengthening my arguments. If he was going against the second best CB and still has those issues, then I am even more worried about him being selected Top 20.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: