Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers meet with Cooper
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

popie70 wrote:
gatek99 wrote:
Look at it this way

Adams-Cooper-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert

we can have a good oline for a loooooooong time

And a defense that will be as bad as our o-line was 4/5 years ago if we neglect it much longer.

As unthrilled as I am about going interior line in the 1st... you're over-reacting to how one pick will change the fate of our defense.

I would like to go D in round 1... but there are impact players that can be had in the 2nd/3rd round and there is always free agency. Especially when we do not know who will be retained.

1 pick will not fix and/or break our D.

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
popie70 wrote:
gatek99 wrote:
Look at it this way

And a defense that will be as bad as our o-line was 4/5 years ago if we neglect it much longer.

As unthrilled as I am about going interior line in the 1st... you're over-reacting to how one pick will change the fate of our defense.

I would like to go D in round 1... but there are impact players that can be had in the 2nd/3rd round and there is always free agency. Especially when we do not know who will be retained.

Agreed JD. Just because spend a 1st on an OL, doesn't mean we won't grab a playmaker in the next two rounds. The draft may be somewhat weak at the top, but it is incredibly deep, from what I've seen so far.

@Popie. And while I agree we need to address the D, it's not as if they have "neglected" as you say, our D. It just so happens that it's unfortunate that Worilds, Heyward, Ziggy, and Brown haven't provided the impact we were hoping for from picks in the 1st 3 rounds for various reasons. Additionally, Spence was injured and face it, Carter was a 5th rd pick. But Lewis has finally turned it around, Allen has been a nice addition, and too early to tell on Ta'amu.

They've addressed the D; maybe not aggressively enough in FA. But they shouldn't spend every valuable pick on D and ignore the O...we still have OL concerns, we have RB/WR/TE concerns as well. I wouldn't be shocked if our 1st pick was spent on the Offensive side of the ball, and if Cooper is BPA, then we'd potentially have a top 10 OL in the NFL. So I wouldn't be upset, personally.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
C$!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest in the NFL there is no such thing as being too deep along the Oline. Especially with the Steelers luck in recent years with injury. It would be mildly annoying if they go OG in the first but its not like it would be a luxury pick.
Would I rather a pass rusher? of course but if its not availible why not shore up another area that has been a sore spot for years.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had to pick between Lane Johnson and Cooper, who'd you go with??
blitzburgh9256

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draft Lane Johnson. Better player imo. Kick Gilbert to gaurd.
MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:

I go with Lane Johnson. His pickup would shore up a weak spot we've had since Marvell retired.

gopherwrestler makes sigs I wanna make sweet love to
treat88

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:

Johnson without a second's hesitation.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
popie70

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward4HOF wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
popie70 wrote:
gatek99 wrote:
Look at it this way

Agreed JD. Just because spend a 1st on an OL, doesn't mean we won't grab a playmaker in the next two rounds. The draft may be somewhat weak at the top, but it is incredibly deep, from what I've seen so far.

@Popie. And while I agree we need to address the D, it's not as if they have "neglected" as you say, our D. It just so happens that it's unfortunate that Worilds, Heyward, Ziggy, and Brown haven't provided the impact we were hoping for from picks in the 1st 3 rounds for various reasons. Additionally, Spence was injured and face it, Carter was a 5th rd pick. But Lewis has finally turned it around, Allen has been a nice addition, and too early to tell on Ta'amu.

They've addressed the D; maybe not aggressively enough in FA. But they shouldn't spend every valuable pick on D and ignore the O...we still have OL concerns, we have RB/WR/TE concerns as well. I wouldn't be shocked if our 1st pick was spent on the Offensive side of the ball, and if Cooper is BPA, then we'd potentially have a top 10 OL in the NFL. So I wouldn't be upset, personally.

I wasn't saying that this one pick will make our defense terrible. I'm sorry for the confusion there. I just feel like there are a lot of questions with the D and within the next few years if they do not adequately replace some guys than we are going to struggle. So I don't know if I would support using another high pick on an o-lineman knowing that
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

Agreed.
After Cooper's junior year I had him rated as a late 1st round pick based on potential, but he didn't come out. After more study of his play and tape I do have concerns about his ability to locate and make contact. He is very athletic and mobile but if you struggle to get on the defender or hit your target in a sense thats somewhat similar to a linebacker with no so great instincts or one that misses tackles. Just seen more misses than Id like. Despite his bench numbers do not be mistaken into thinking he has the same anchor as Warmack or Warford.

...you have a forum resume?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

Yeah...he would, IMO anyway, start for us at LT from day 1....and Id feel more comfortable with that than anyone currently on the team.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: