Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers meet with Cooper
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcm412

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Steelers meet with Cooper Reply with quote

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02/steelers-north-carolina-g-jonathan-cooper-combine/

Quote:
During the NFL combine teams allowed to meet with 60 players over the course of the week for 15 minutes. Jim Wexell of Steel City Insiders reported via Twitter on Thursday that the Pittsburgh Steelers have already met with North Carolina guard Jonathan Cooper, who is considered by many to be the second ranked guard in the draft this year

I know it's just a meeting so take it for what its worth.

I am starting to come around on Cooper or Warmack. As much as I hate to invest in another OL I feel like the value is there for both of them if we can't get a pass rusher or trade down.
Steelers22

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seem like great players but please god no do not invest another first round pick on an interior lineman

props to dawg24
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know enough about Cooper's value to make a statement on it, so instead I'll pose a question. Is Cooper a likely 1st round pick or is it possible he'd be there in the 2nd?
jcm412

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
I don't know enough about Cooper's value to make a statement on it, so instead I'll pose a question. Is Cooper a likely 1st round pick or is it possible he'd be there in the 2nd?

I have seen him as low as early 2nd. However, he is one of the most athletic OGs to come out in a long time. Very similar to Pouncey's athleticism. He will probably light up the Combine and drive his stock up. Mayock is saying he is just a "tad" below Warmack who he says has top 10 talent.

IMO I feel he and/or Warmack are very safe picks with great value. If all the pass rushers were off the board, no one unexpected falls, and we can't trade back I'd rather take one of them than reach or take a risk on a boom/bust type guys.

Now don't get me wrong here. I am in no way pushing for another OG. I'm just saying if the board doesn't fall in our favor, I would not be opposed to taking a safe high value pick on Warmack or Cooper.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JC, I also agree that I wouldn't be disappointed with picking either Warmack or Cooper.

For me, it's not about the position, it's about the impact. I just have high hopes for this draft, I hope we have a lot of hits and I hope we grab some guys who manage to have breakout performances. This past season was tough to watch, but most of us made it through, with some optimism, despite being disappointed. I'm definitely headed toward the draft with a ton of optimism.
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcm412 wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

I have seen him as low as early 2nd. However, he is one of the most athletic OGs to come out in a long time. Very similar to Pouncey's athleticism. He will probably light up the Combine and drive his stock up. Mayock is saying he is just a "tad" below Warmack who he says has top 10 talent.

IMO I feel he and/or Warmack are very safe picks with great value. If all the pass rushers were off the board, no one unexpected falls, and we can't trade back I'd rather take one of them than reach or take a risk on a boom/bust type guys.

Now don't get me wrong here. I am in no way pushing for another OG. I'm just saying if the board doesn't fall in our favor, I would not be opposed to taking a safe high value pick on Warmack or Cooper.

Cooper is an ideal fit in a ZBS, and was thought only as a ZBS OG, but he also weighed in @ 311, I believe, which is 10-15 lbs heavier than thought, so he should be able to fit either scheme, which regardless of what scheme we ultimately run, he should fit in. He also can play OC in a pinch, so the versatility is there as well.

It's a tough call to grab a 1st Rd OG in back-to-back drafts. I doubt he's #1 on our board when it's all said and done, but considering he's been mocked, for the most part, in the 20s, I'm sure the Steelers are just doing their homework on the guys that should be available/picked in the mid-to-late 1st.

Hopefully, he knocks it out of the park at the combine and he moves up. That would place five OL selected before 17, allowing one more guy to drop. But if he's the BPA at 17 when we pick, and a trade down is not an option, I wouldn't be upset with Cooper as the pick...better than reaching for a guy out of need.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put Ward. Do any of you think Cooper is the type of guy that, if he wasn't picked by us, the Steelers would consider trading back into the first for?

I'm not sure that it's realistic to even do that for an offensive lineman, let alone a Guard and certainly don't expect to see that happen.
matt2roddy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did DeCastro play at the end of the season when he was healthy?

My 2011 Adopt-A-Falcon: 1st Team All Rookie Linebacker Akeem Dent!!!
2012 Adopt-A-Falcon: CB Asante Samuel
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt2roddy wrote:

Personally, I thought overall he played well, but inexperienced.
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt2roddy wrote:

Got straight pooped on by Geno Atkins but save for that game considering everything he did average.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
jcm412

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt2roddy wrote:

Someone else may be able to elaborate more. However, IMO he did Ok. I think he was playing much better before the injury which is to be expected. I thought he was always in good position and got to the second level well. His pass protection could use some work. Although, is poor pass pro may have had more to do with poor communication and inexperience on the OL. We were very beat up on the OL at the end of the season. I think he still needs to get stronger to really move guys in the NFL. While he did good in the run game I wasn't impressed with his ability to drive guys back.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcm412 wrote:
matt2roddy wrote:

Someone else may be able to elaborate more. However, IMO he did Ok. I think he was playing much better before the injury which is to be expected. I thought he was always in good position and got to the second level well. His pass protection could use some work. Although, is poor pass pro may have had more to do with poor communication and inexperience on the OL. We were very beat up on the OL at the end of the season. I think he still needs to get stronger to really move guys in the NFL. While he did good in the run game I wasn't impressed with his ability to drive guys back.

Agreed, I really do think, considering the situation, he played decent (rather than well as I suggested before). There are obviously areas he's gotta improve, but I definitely felt he came out 'rusty' which was expected, as you said.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:
matt2roddy wrote:

Got straight pooped on by Geno Atkins but save for that game considering everything he did average.

Atkins poops on alot of people.

A rookie OG that just got back from an injury has no chance against who may be the best overall DT in the league.
gatek99

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at it this way

Adams-Cooper-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert

we can have a good oline for a loooooooong time

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatek99 wrote:
Look at it this way

Adams-Cooper-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert

we can have a good oline for a loooooooong time

And a defense that will be as bad as our o-line was 4/5 years ago if we neglect it much longer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: