Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Panthers "reach out" to Dwan Edwards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catamount

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Panthers "reach out" to Dwan Edwards Reply with quote

The one thng that Gettlemen said today was that the Panthers had extended an offer / invitation to Dwan Edwards. What does that mean?

I am guessing a 1-year deal much lower than what he was making in 2012.

After signing Colin Cole last week, is he tipping his hand? Here is what he could be doing:

1. Looking to fill DT with inexpensive veterans because there is still developing talent in Chandler, Fua, and Kearse.
2. Signing a veteran free agent to compliment a rookie is a sound idea. However, Signing Dwan may suggest that the DT we sign is not a first rounder.

Opinions? Has Gettlemen tipped his hand yet? Is there something in the tea leaves?
Moody

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the signing of Colin Cole as a sign of anything. We're gonna add a lot of players to the Preseason roster.

I don't think there is talent behind the Edwards' and that's saying a lot.

I would like to see Dwan Edwards come back. He has to have interest in continuing to play with the guy that gave him a career year after being cut by the Bills. Playing with CJ and Hardy isn't bad either.

Gettleman did an interview recently and said,

Quote:
Gettleman: "The way I look at the whole picture is, Free agency is the opportunity to set your draft up. You want to be in a position where you can take the best player. Nine times out of 10 you get in trouble when you draft for need. It's a problem. You can have a top 10 pick and make up your mind you're going to draft for need, and if he's not there, then what do you do. It's all part of it. You want as much competition at every position as possible. With the giants people thought we were crazy for drafting defensive ends. We drafted Kiwanuka and we drafted JPP and everyone's saying my God when's it going to stop? If that's the best player available you take him. Nothing like competition."

so that might help guess what they're thinking. We didn't look good when Dwan was hurt.
boondock

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I take:

Gettleman does not like any of the DTs that might be available at 14. Therefore, he is loading up on DTs to fill out the roster this year. Dwan was our best pure DT last year, bar none. Gettleman is taking the route of this player knows what he's doing in our scheme, he proved it last year, let's keep him for another year.

I might be wrong, but I think this is the case. I personally am not too impressed with any of the DTs minus Star.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
Here's what I take:

Gettleman does not like any of the DTs that might be available at 14. Therefore, he is loading up on DTs to fill out the roster this year. Dwan was our best pure DT last year, bar none. Gettleman is taking the route of this player knows what he's doing in our scheme, he proved it last year, let's keep him for another year.

I might be wrong, but I think this is the case. I personally am not too impressed with any of the DTs minus Star.

I think Star, Floyd, and Richardson would be good fits, but they could all be gone by 10. Its good to have some back-up plans rather than banking on one of those 2 falling to 14.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moody wrote:

I don't think there is talent behind the Edwards' and that's saying a lot.
so that might help guess what they're thinking. We didn't look good when Dwan was hurt.

Having only undrafted Chandler at DT (3 tech) means you HAVE to draft one. WHere are the DTs located? First round, maybe second-which means that you would HAVE to draft one in the first if you had no DT. Dwan makes us better, but we want to upgrade. As a rotational player, Dwan would be better. Dwan was not good vs the run, however. I want one who can stuff the run and move the pocket. But if we do not like a DT in the draft, we can wait for a cut or go with Chandler and Edwards.

We just re-signed Nakamura, for example. If you cut him, you are cutting a good special teamer and experienced depth. Nakamura is playing in 2013 for a little more than what a draft pick would make and we do not use a pick to replace him.

So if our starters become backups, we are getting better. We have good depth. We can draft BPA.
OneBadCat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like for us to pick up Canty/Sammy Hill/ and or Kenny Phillips. Then we can take Pattersion with the first pick and take a tackle or corner in the 2nd.
Cypher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneBadCat wrote:
I'd like for us to pick up Canty/Sammy Hill/ and or Kenny Phillips. Then we can take Pattersion with the first pick and take a tackle or corner in the 2nd.

I honestly don't see how anyone sees top-15 WR talent in this class. It's deep, but premiere receiver talent is sorely lacking.

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
boondock

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
OneBadCat wrote:

I honestly don't see how anyone sees top-15 WR talent in this class. It's deep, but premiere receiver talent is sorely lacking.

Agreed, guys are climbing because there is no one else to sit on top of the best WR throne this year. I don't think any WR is worth a top 20 pick. Most of the top guys are picks 20-50 value.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patterson has elite talent but extremely raw.

Keenan Allen has the skillset to be a top ten receiver. Just not a mind blowing, take the top of your defense top five receiver ala Fitzgerald or Green. So I guess it depends on how you value a guy like him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/21787611/dwan-edwards-hopes-to-return-to-panthers-in-2013
Toughguy77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep Dwan cut Ron

*2013 NFC South Champions* Panthers
Gamecocks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: