Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelerfreak76's Steelers mock 6.0 (Pre Combine)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steelerfreak76

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Steelerfreak76's Steelers mock 6.0 (Pre Combine) Reply with quote

1. Jesse Williams, DT (Alabama)
6'3" 320lbs. 4.94

Williams is turning out at least for me, as this year's Dont'a Hightower. By that I mean the obvious pick. Hampton won't be brought back unless he takes a huge pay cut. McLendon, Ta'amu, and Fangupo for me are not the answer.

2. Eric Reid, FS (LSU)
6'2" 212lbs. 4.59

Whether or not the Steelers cut Ryan Clark, they are going to need a replacement or a starter in waiting. Reid would give the Steelers depth at a very thin position or he could step in a start from day 1.

3. Montee Ball, RB (Wisconsin)
5'11" 215lbs. 4.57

The Steelers aren't likely to bring back both Redman and Dwyer, possibly neither. Mendenhall is also unlikely to return, that leaves the Steelers with just Baron Batch at RB. Ball is a work horse and could become the every down back the Steelers really need.

4. Corey Lemonier, OLB (Auburn)
6'3" 242lbs. 4.78

Outside linebacker probably has more question marks than any other position. Will Harrison be released? Will Woodley actually workout this off season? Is Worilds ready to play full time? Lemonier would be a decent bench player and could turn out to be a decent starter down the road.

5. Corey Fuller, WR (Virginia Tech)
6'2" 197lbs. 4.43

Wallace is all but gone. Fuller has a good size and speed combination, that would compliment Brown and Sanders well.

6. Terry Hawthorne, CB (Illinois)
6'0" 194lbs. 4.49

The Steelers really want to resign Keenan Lewis, but I if he hits the open market. Some team is going to throw the bank at him. If the Steelers can't bring Lewis back, Allen is ready to step in, Hawthorne is a quick corner that will be able to keep up with the faster receievers.

7. Jake Stoneburner, TE (Ohio State)
6'5" 245lbs. 4.78

Miller's injury will force the Steelers to either sign a veteran or draft one. Stoneburner has size and very good hands. He has some technique issues blocking, but that's easily fixed with coaching.

7. Vince Williams, ILB (Florida State)
6'1" 247lbs. 4.79

It seems like the Steelers are leaning towards bringing back Foote for another year. Spence's injury was a very serious one and even if he is ready for next season. Their are no guarantees he will be the same player.
The36Bus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I'm beginning to think that if he's available, the first round pick will be Patterson (provided Wallace is gone of course). If not, I think they will select whoevers left of Jordan, Ansah, Mingo if any. After that I think Williams could be the guy and I like him.

2. Eric Reid should be good value in round 2

3. I like Montee Ball, but I feel we could get someone as good in round 4 or 5.

4. No way Lemonier lasts until the 4th. I believe he will be a 2nd round pick come draft day. I included him as such in my one mock on a previous post.

5. Idk much about the rest of the guys. Seems like everyone on here is mocking us Stoneburner, cool name.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this mock a lot. I'm not that big on Ball as some are but I wouldn't have a problem if he was the pick in the third. Overall this is a solid draft to me. I like the Donruss baseball cards turned into football cards. Smile

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
at23steelers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this mock draft. Addresses key needs, maybe one could argue ILB earlier, but I think we're fine with Spence / Foote another year and would be ok with going another direction. We can't get every need high in the draft, but good job! I feel like Ball would surprise some people and really become a solid back. I love Jesse Williams in 1st and I could see Eric Reid as a future starter for us and we have time to groom him! A-
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The36Bus wrote:
1. I'm beginning to think that if he's available, the first round pick will be Patterson (provided Wallace is gone of course). If not, I think they will select whoevers left of Jordan, Ansah, Mingo if any. After that I think Williams could be the guy and I like him.

Not sure what makes you think that.

WR isnt our top need even if Wallace is gone.

Dont get me wrong, I like Patterson and would be fine with the pick, but Ive seen 2 or 3 Steeler fans in the last couple days saying they think Patterson will be the pick. For one, as you mentioned, there is a good chance he wont even be there, and secondly, the other needs are just as big if not bigger than WR. At least we have some talent at WR behind Wallace, unlike OLB and NT.

And not sure what makes you think they would take those players over Williams. NT is just as big of a need at OLB...maybe bigger. Jordan is not a football player. He is an athlete posing as one. Mingo is overrated. Ansah I like but probably a reach there.

Some might consdier Williams a reach there too, but he is a much better choice than Jordan. Mingo and Ansah could be argued have similar value.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
NT is just as big of a need at OLB...maybe bigger.

I'm not so sure that Worilds, Carter and Robinson > Ziggy, Mac, Ta'amu, and Fangupo
at23steelers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

I'm not so sure that Worilds, Carter and Robinson > Ziggy, Mac, Ta'amu, and Fangupo

To me, it's equal but I like Jesse Williams better than any 3-4 OLB around that range.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

I dont completely disagree...just saying that its not like OLB is clearly a bigger need over NT.

As far as the players, Id say its equal. Theyve shown no indiction of moviing Ziggy to NT, so you cant list him as an NT. Beyond that...

McClendon > Worlids, but thats like saying herpes is better than AIDS.

Carter and Robinson = Ta'amu and Fangupo, because not a single one of them has shown anything, and we dont even know if Ta'amu will be here next year.

Just a question keth....would you say you are comfortable with who we have at NT?

If not, then I believe its a first round need, and between OLB and NT, it comes down to the BPA when we pick, and I believe...unless Jarvis Jones falls....that the better picks will be at NT. Id take Williams and John Jenkins over any of the remaining OLBs. Ansah I wouldnt mind though.

If we took Dion Jordan over them though, Id flip out.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Just a question keth....would you say you are comfortable with who we have at NT?

If not, then I believe its a first round need, and between OLB and NT, it comes down to the BPA when we pick, and I believe...unless Jarvis Jones falls....that the better picks will be at NT. Id take Williams and John Jenkins over any of the remaining OLBs. Ansah I wouldnt mind though.

If we took Dion Jordan over them though, Id flip out.

I'm not comfortable with who we have at NT, but I think there is potential there. I think that either Ziggy or McLendon *could* be solid 1-gappers, and I think Ta'amu definitely has potential as a 2-gap plugger, as does Fangupo.

I think Worilds is a wasted draft pick, that Carter is (and was) irrelevant, and that Robinson is wishful thinking although I have more confidence that he can be "the guy" than I do confidence in Carter or Worilds

I think Jesse Williams will probably be "BPA" at the OLB/NT position when we draft. I'm just not sure that he is worth a 1st rounder if only because I don't see him staying in when we aren't in base defense.

However, as I said before, ask me again in 5 minutes, and my opinion is likely to change.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with 43: If we go OLB choose Ansah and if NT go with Jesse Williams. I doubt Ansah will be at our pick though. If he is I wouldn't mind it, but I would hope we somehow end up with Jesse Williams too. At least with Jesse Williams, he will make pass-rushing an easier job, whereas if we choose another bust pass-rusher than we still need a NT who can occupy blockers.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't understand all the hype surrounding Jesse Williams. I've watched a lot of Bama games this year and he really has stuck out to me. I know he plays in less then glamorous position, but what is special about him other then his bench press. What's the draft difference other then teams between Ta'amu and Williams. I know Ta'amu has some legal issues, but as far as comparing them on collegiate play by itself I wouldn't say Willams was better then Ta'amu. Only that Williams had far better talent surround him then Ta'amu.

This draft in itself is fine as the players fit the needs the Steelers have. But I believe in the end the Steelers will still pick BPA over a need at least in the first round.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
I really don't understand all the hype surrounding Jesse Williams. I've watched a lot of Bama games this year and he really has stuck out to me. I know he plays in less then glamorous position, but what is special about him other then his bench press. What's the draft difference other then teams between Ta'amu and Williams. I know Ta'amu has some legal issues, but as far as comparing them on collegiate play by itself I wouldn't say Willams was better then Ta'amu. Only that Williams had far better talent surround him then Ta'amu.

This draft in itself is fine as the players fit the needs the Steelers have. But I believe in the end the Steelers will still pick BPA over a need at least in the first round.

So much wrong with this post.

First off, I seriously doubt you watched both of them play in college if you say that Williams is not a better prospect that Ta'amu was.

Secondly...since when is NT a glamour position? Outside of OLine, its possibly the most unappreciated position.

Third...Williams is much more polished coming out and was much more consistent than Ta'amu ever was, and against much better competition. Williams also has experience in the 34 at NT and 5 tech.

If you dont want Williams, I respect that. But this draft isnt top heavy. There likely wont be anyone who will be on the board that everyone will agree is worth the pick...unlike last year (and others) when there were several.

Pretty much every guy thats been mocked to us and has a realistic chance of getting to us, you can make an argument for why they are and arent worth the pick.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the mock. Have to say, at first I was dead against a NT for our 1st pick. I was firmly in the McLendon camp. I still believe he deserves a shot next year. One thing I like about McLendon, he always seems to get better. He continues to exceed expectations through hard work and a great attitude. (from what I know) HOWEVER, I'm now starting to see some merit in drafting Snack's replacement IF he is worthy. I did not watch a lot of Bama football this year, but based on the scouting report, he does look like the real deal. I wouldn't be terribly disappointed with him as the 1st pick.

As to the rest of the draft, really like the other picks. I like Reid. Love Montee Ball. Would love to see him behind Ben. Lemonier, as someone earlier posted might not be there in the 4th. I actually like Jamie Collins in the 4th. I was more impressed with him. Though Lemonier may have more physical gifts, I liked the play of Collins better. Waiting til the 5th for a WR maybe too long depending on FA. Don't know that much about Fuller but looks good at first glance. Assuming we resign Lewis, I'd rather go Joe Kruger DE or another S or WR in the 6th. Would be great if we could land Stoneburner & Williams in the 7th. Good job!
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

First off, I seriously doubt you watched both of them play in college if you say that Williams is not a better prospect that Ta'amu was.

Secondly...since when is NT a glamour position? Outside of OLine, its possibly the most unappreciated position.

Third...Williams is much more polished coming out and was much more consistent than Ta'amu ever was, and against much better competition. Williams also has experience in the 34 at NT and 5 tech.

If you dont want Williams, I respect that. But this draft isnt top heavy. There likely wont be anyone who will be on the board that everyone will agree is worth the pick...unlike last year (and others) when there were several.

Pretty much every guy thats been mocked to us and has a realistic chance of getting to us, you can make an argument for why they are and arent worth the pick.

You can call me wrong, but it's my opinion on a message board.

Williams has been surrounded by a ton of talent. So there really isn't any way to gauge his actually value individually, because he didn't stand out individually.

I never said NT was a glamorous position I said it was a "less" then glamorous position.

Since you know I didn't watch any Bama games. Please tell me which one Jesse Williams dominated so I can rewatch it/them. Bama didn't play one good running team in 2012 until they went up against LSU who casually put up 145+ in consecutive years. But I must have missed that game since it was plastered all over AFN while I was deployed both times.

Alameda Ta'amu biggest negative is that his teams were trash almost his entire collegiate career.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

You can call me wrong, but it's my opinion on a message board.

Williams has been surrounded by a ton of talent. So there really isn't any way to gauge his actually value individually, because he didn't stand out individually.

I never said NT was a glamorous position I said it was a "less" then glamorous position.

Since you know I didn't watch any Bama games. Please tell me which one Jesse Williams dominated so I can rewatch it/them. Bama didn't play one good running team in 2012 until they went up against LSU who casually put up 145+ in consecutive years. But I must have missed that game since it was plastered all over AFN while I was deployed both times.

Alameda Ta'amu biggest negative is that his teams were trash almost his entire collegiate career.

The LSU and Georgia games had some odd sets. I think Williams played De more because they spread the field. Most of the time they had in 2 down linemen.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: