Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rey Maualuga not likely to be resigned
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Rey Maualuga not likely to be resigned Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000143230/article/report-cincinnati-bengals-wont-resign-rey-maualuga

Quote:
Citing a source with knowledge of the situation, Thesidelineview.com's Adam Caplan confirms the Bengals will likely take a pass on re-signing Maualuga.

Not exactly Adam Shefter, but still good to hear. No reason he should be back.
Quote:
Don't be surprised if Maualuga ends up with the division rival Baltimore Ravens. General manager Ozzie Newsome and his staff reportedly had a high grade on Maualuga coming out of USC. There is an obvious need at inside linebacker with Ray Lewis retiring and Dannell Ellerbe scheduled to hit free agency.

This would be a double positive, but i kind of doubt he's handed a starting job anywhere.

-------------------------------------------
UPDATE:
Quote:
"He is, as you will find out when this free agency period starts, a lot better than what a lot of people give him credit for," said Zimmer, alluding to how defensive end Justin Smith became a Pro Bowler when he left Cincinnati. "I think thatís going to be what people are going to find out if he goes. If heís not here people are going to miss him and say we should have had him. Thatís how it works, like Justin Smith.Ē

Zimmer likes Maualuga's versatility and the Bengals could use a starting SAM backer, which is where Maualuga played his first two seasons in the NFL. Which sends a smile fleeting across Zimmer's face.

ďHe can (play SAM), but if I remember correctly after his second year and Dhani (Jones) left, everyone was saying he should move to the MIKE when he played pretty good at SAM," Zimmer said. "But heís got to go to the MIKE linebacker, wasnít that what everyone was saying? 'Oh, Maualuga is going to MIKE, yeah.' Now everyone is going 'he should have stayed at SAM.' You canít win.Ē

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Zimmer-says-Bengals-will-miss-Rey-if-he-leaves-Little-Geathers-challenges-Geno/7059ae2b-f957-4120-9578-6859ee177e1d

So he may not be going anywhere. However, it may not all be bad if he does indeed go back to SAM. I can't imagine it'll require a ton of money to resign him, so i wouldn't hate the move.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.

Last edited by theJ on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
sparky151

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I always worry when the team is trying to keep someone's morale up and praise him while he's mediocre. It makes you wonder if they know what they're doing. I always think of Paul Alexander calling Stacey Andrews the best RT in the league or insisting that Nate Livings was a good player. This news raises my faith in team management.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best news I've heard all day...
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Ravens are high on him, how about a flip flop of free agents. They get Rey, we get Ellerbee. Ellerbee would fit our profile (GA LB) and the Ravens get their new Rey in the middle.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good riddence. Wish he would have panned out.

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
ark23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hope is this means we are targeting LB early in the draft. Good decision here. If we continue draft like we have been recently, manage to lock up our key guys (Adam Jones, Andre Smith, Michael Johnson) then I think we could have a great offseason.

Don't think Maualuga fits anywhere but SLB in the 4-3. He'll struggle in Baltimore I think. At least we know we can run TE crossing routes all day against them and pick up first downs if they sign him.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ark23 wrote:
My hope is this means we are targeting LB early in the draft. Good decision here. If we continue draft like we have been recently, manage to lock up our key guys (Adam Jones, Andre Smith, Michael Johnson) then I think we could have a great offseason.

Don't think Maualuga fits anywhere but SLB in the 4-3. He'll struggle in Baltimore I think. At least we know we can run TE crossing routes all day against them and pick up first downs if they sign him.

The only problem I see is if he is playing SLB, it will be for us. The Ravens would put him inside
HangOnSloopy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:

This news was awesome. This just made it all that much better!!

"Work Hard, Play Hard"
daboyle250 on the sig!
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are saying this report was inaccurate.

but they did say the Bengals are looking to move Burfict to the middle, and possibly bring back Rey Maualuga at SLB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been more wrong about a prospect than I was Maualuga. I really thought he was going to be real the deal coming out of USC. Big swing and a miss on my part.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:

but they did say the Bengals are looking to move Burfict to the middle, and possibly bring back Rey Maualuga at SLB

Eh. I mean he was ok at SLB but he misses too many tackles and can't cover. Not really a pass rusher either. I would hope we move on, resign Howard for WLB and get a guy in the 2nd-3rd who can cover as a SLB.

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:

Yup.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Zimmer-says-Bengals-will-miss-Rey-if-he-leaves-Little-Geathers-challenges-Geno/7059ae2b-f957-4120-9578-6859ee177e1d

Quote:
"He is, as you will find out when this free agency period starts, a lot better than what a lot of people give him credit for," said Zimmer, alluding to how defensive end Justin Smith became a Pro Bowler when he left Cincinnati. "I think thatís going to be what people are going to find out if he goes. If heís not here people are going to miss him and say we should have had him. Thatís how it works, like Justin Smith.Ē

Zimmer likes Maualuga's versatility and the Bengals could use a starting SAM backer, which is where Maualuga played his first two seasons in the NFL. Which sends a smile fleeting across Zimmer's face.

ďHe can (play SAM), but if I remember correctly after his second year and Dhani (Jones) left, everyone was saying he should move to the MIKE when he played pretty good at SAM," Zimmer said. "But heís got to go to the MIKE linebacker, wasnít that what everyone was saying? 'Oh, Maualuga is going to MIKE, yeah.' Now everyone is going 'he should have stayed at SAM.' You canít win.Ē

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Spartan300

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I promise Zimmer I won't miss Rey if he leaves.
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rey is sugar free vanilla ice cream at SLB. Hey, it's ice cream, but not what you really want.

Can't blitz, is just ok setting the edge, sure tackler, but not great, can't cover backs if needed.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: