Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 NFL Combine Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quietjetsket wrote:
Jarvis Jones's space between c4 and c5 has been unchanged since the first discovery in 2009. However, he may lay off plays and only ran when he had shot in college, that may not translate to NFL. TE, RB, FB or OT will be asked to block on Jones in NFL so the change in spinal cord will change dramatically.

That is why I don't see him survive in 3-4 defense at next level. 4-3 WLB is the best option for his health and potential longevity. Fortunately, he likes 4-3 OLB and many teams eye him for that role.

3-4 team will be stupid if he takes Jones.
Bingo.

Jones' natural fit would be in a 4-3. He won't be able to be as effective in a 3-4 as he should be in a 4-3.

I'm on the fence about Jones right now. I guess I'll have to "wait and see" what happens in the next several months.

[]_[] Family
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing on me too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W_Tajc7bY8
skrILL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy that's been growing on me is Dion Jordan. His overall speed and fluidity for a person his size is unreal. You can do a lot with a 6'7 linebacker that can move like that. I'm not as concerned with him as I am Mingo in terms of his ability to stop the run. Jordan has at least shown that he can be violent with his hands and shed blocks, something Mingo struggles with mightily (and I don't get how people don't see that. I used to be a fan, it's easy to get excited about his speed, burst, and length, but he's nonexistent in the trenches). Jordan is equally as fast and fluid, bigger, and better in the run. With some coaching I can see him developing into the ultimate chess piece on defense. Hell, I could even see him getting snaps on offense.

However after his strong showing at the Combine and other guys at his position plummeting down draft boards (Jones, Moore, Montgomery), I doubt he's available at #9.

I've just about narrowed my choices at 9 to a few players: Geno, Jordan, Patterson, Allen, Ansah, and Vaccaro in that order. With Joeckel, Floyd, Fisher, and Milliner all almost certain to get drafted before us, we are guaranteed that someone on my list will be there.

N E W Y O R K J E T S
green24

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dion Jordan is my #1 target for the Jets.

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm so confident in the Skins this season (offensively), I think they challenge the Patriots scoring record.
Call it a hunch. Idea
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just feel like we'll be stuck with Mingo. I feel like Dion and Ziggy's stock are rising, while Bjoern, Damontre, and Jarvis are all falling. Star's stock has fallen as well. So that leaves the question, who goes top 8? Joeckel, prob Floyd, Milliner, Fisher (maybe), Geno (maybe to AZ), and then who? Coradelle? Vaccaro? I feel like it's inevitable that Ziggy and Dion will be gone by our pick.
skrILL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
I just feel like we'll be stuck with Mingo. I feel like Dion and Ziggy's stock are rising, while Bjoern, Damontre, and Jarvis are all falling. Star's stock has fallen as well. So that leaves the question, who goes top 8? Joeckel, prob Floyd, Milliner, Fisher (maybe), Geno (maybe to AZ), and then who? Coradelle? Vaccaro? I feel like it's inevitable that Ziggy and Dion will be gone by our pick.

You are never stuck drafting a certain player. You don't compromise talented players on the board just because they don't fill what many perceive is our #1 need.

N E W Y O R K J E T S
Heymangold

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ansah or Jordan has to be the pick.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skrILL wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:

You are never stuck drafting a certain player. You don't compromise talented players on the board just because they don't fill what many perceive is our #1 need.
Well obviously, I was saying in terms of talent at DE/LB.
perikirest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im still rather baffled by the love affair with Jordan outside of the potential but his tape is very underwhelming and honestly is it worth drafting a player thats a project with a lack of natural pass rush skills that wasnt even the best player (or even on the Ducks dline for that matter) on an average defense in the top 10?

AAJ Mark Sanchez
1 Torn Labrum
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mingo's 10 yard split is ridiculous. Maybe his production wasn't that great last year, but his athleticism can't be coached.

I thought he might test well, but this was beyond what I saw coming. His first step is elite. You try to coach the rest.

Ansah and Hunt have also jumped way up for me. They have rare athleticism as well. This is a ridiculously deep draft class on the DL.
green24

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
Mingo's 10 yard split is ridiculous. Maybe his production wasn't that great last year, but his athleticism can't be coached.

I thought he might test well, but this was beyond what I saw coming. His first step is elite. You try to coach the rest.

Ansah and Hunt have also jumped way up for me. They have rare athleticism as well. This is a ridiculously deep draft class on the DL.

Hunt is a 3-4 DE all the way. Ansah MIGHT be able to play OLB.

I agree with you on Mingo.

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm so confident in the Skins this season (offensively), I think they challenge the Patriots scoring record.
Call it a hunch. Idea
Raoul Duke

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skrILL wrote:
Jordan has at least shown that he can be violent with his hands and shed blocks, something Mingo struggles with mightily (and I don't get how people don't see that. I used to be a fan, it's easy to get excited about his speed, burst, and length, but he's nonexistent in the trenches). Jordan is equally as fast and fluid, bigger, and better in the run.

Having watched Mingo and Jordan play a ton in college, I fail to see much difference between the two of them. Jordan was asked to stand up alot more and play coverage while Mingo was primarily on the line. But neither of them excels against the run. I don't see this big difference in hand use that you're talking about. If anything, Mingo seems to have a little bit better leverage on his rush.

But other than some differences in how they were used, they're pretty similar prospects.

- Cliff Burton
quietjetsket

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perikirest wrote:
Im still rather baffled by the love affair with Jordan outside of the potential but his tape is very underwhelming and honestly is it worth drafting a player thats a project with a lack of natural pass rush skills that wasnt even the best player (or even on the Ducks dline for that matter) on an average defense in the top 10?

Actually, there is no tape that suggests he CAN"T pass rush.
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Jetsman82 wrote:

Hunt is a 3-4 DE all the way. Ansah MIGHT be able to play OLB.

I agree with you on Mingo.

I'm not very concerned with scheme. I don't think the Jets will be running a lot of 3-4 next year.

With Pouha declining rapidly, and Ellis still being raw, they won't have a NT really.

They haven't had a real 3-4 OLB in years.

The DL and LB corps seem to be far better suited for a 4-3 alignment. I know in Ryan's defense the distinction isn't really stark, but the point stands.

I wouldn't worry to much about position. I think the Jets are going to just get themselves a talented defender.
Raoul Duke

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:

I've said it multiple times, Mingo has the quickest first step of any pass rusher in this draft. I keep coming back to that everytime.

- Cliff Burton

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 26 of 33

Jump to: