Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Trading completely out of the 1st
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CT Cowboy Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Trading completely out of the 1st Reply with quote

I was having a conversation with a buddy of mine yesterday an he asked. Lets say we're still sitting at 18, or even traded back and have an early 20's pick. A top 5 QB needy team calls because one of the QBs fell. Would you trade completely out of the 1st round to acquire a 2nd this year and an extra 1st in the Clowney, I mean 2014 draft.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Trading completely out of the 1st Reply with quote

CT Cowboy Fan wrote:
I was having a conversation with a buddy of mine yesterday an he asked. Lets say we're still sitting at 18, or even traded back and have an early 20's pick. A top 5 QB needy team calls because one of the QBs fell. Would you trade completely out of the 1st round to acquire a 2nd this year and an extra 1st in the Clowney, I mean 2014 draft.

So we have traded back into the 20's - acquired more picks

And then trade back again with a team drafting early 2nd and pick up an supposed early first next year? Yes. We could land Clowney or the QB of the future.

Yes.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Trading completely out of the 1st Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
CT Cowboy Fan wrote:

So we have traded back into the 20's - acquired more picks

And then trade back again with a team drafting early 2nd and pick up an supposed early first next year? Yes. We could land Clowney or the QB of the future.

Yes.

Agreed. A move like that would likely leave us in a position where we'd have two second round picks and two third round picks. We'd still be able to draft a quality o-lineman and a quality d-lineman coupled with the potential to go after Clowney next year. I'd be hard pressed to say it would be a bad move.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
CT Cowboy Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Trading completely out of the 1st Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:

Agreed. A move like that would likely leave us in a position where we'd have two second round picks and two third round picks. We'd still be able to draft a quality o-lineman and a quality d-lineman coupled with the potential to go after Clowney next year. I'd be hard pressed to say it would be a bad move.

Exactly my thoughts. It would give us an opportunity to grab a combination of Fluker/Warford and Short/Sylvester Williams in the 2nd. In the 3rd you can take some sort of Trech/Safety or Safety/trench. This could net is 4 potential starters or strong contributors. And as you said the firepower to go get Clowney.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the thinking on this one! with two 2nd's and two 3rd's we could draft for the trenches and get some quality players and still have ammo for next year to do as we please.

Problem, after reading this I do not think the Cowboys front office (because I cannot write the name of he who shall not be mentioned as it offends certain peoples feelings) will entertain the idea of using two 1st rounders or any combination of draft picks to go after a QB. They see Romo as the next 4 to 5 years.

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/02/20/13/Cowboys-open-contract-talks-with-Romo-/msn_landing.html?blockID=867261&feedID=3742

But again, I love the idea, unless there is a player at 20 that we simply cannot pass on:

1. Star L
2. C. Warmack
3. L Joeckel
4. J. Jones

I rather doubt it.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do it in a heart beat. Not simply, because of the Clowney sweepstakes or the depth available in the top half of this year's draft, simply because I'm a believer in draft flexibility and acquiring additional picks.

Kiltman on avy Pepper90 on sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Northland

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of options here. If Warmack, Cooper, Floyd, or Richardson look like they will be available at 18 I might be tempted to stay put, or trade down a few spots.

Option two says trade down anyway. In this draft is there really that much of a dropoff between the players who will be picked at 18 vs. 28, or 38? I'm not sure. If we could acquire additional picks we could still address the trenches this year, and get that extra first next year. For a team with multiple needs this may be too good to pass up.
Northland

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
Love the thinking on this one! with two 2nd's and two 3rd's we could draft for the trenches and get some quality players and still have ammo for next year to do as we please.

Problem, after reading this I do not think the Cowboys front office (because I cannot write the name of he who shall not be mentioned as it offends certain peoples feelings) will entertain the idea of using two 1st rounders or any combination of draft picks to go after a QB. They see Romo as the next 4 to 5 years.

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/02/20/13/Cowboys-open-contract-talks-with-Romo-/msn_landing.html?blockID=867261&feedID=3742

But again, I love the idea, unless there is a player at 20 that we simply cannot pass on:

1. Star L
2. C. Warmack
3. L Joeckel
4. J. Jones

I rather doubt it.

Re the highlighted portion. That made me laugh. What, or whomever could you be talking about?
matt79511

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definitely be down with acquiring a 2014 first, especially from a team with a mediocre-to-bad 2013 outlook. Easier said than done, though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
I'd definitely be down with acquiring a 2014 first, especially from a team with a mediocre-to-bad 2013 outlook. Easier said than done, though.

This would definitely be ideal. I remember thinking Dallas hit the jackpot when Buffalo traded up for Losman( Laughing ). At the time I was thinking Dallas had a legit chance at landing a top 5 pick, which in essence they did at #11 with Ware.

Kiltman on avy Pepper90 on sig
George Selvie Fan Club
matt79511

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
matt79511 wrote:

This would definitely be ideal. I remember thinking Dallas hit the jackpot when Buffalo traded up for Losman( Laughing ). At the time I was thinking Dallas had a legit chance at landing a top 5 pick, which in essence they did at #11 with Ware.

Yeah, I thought we were getting a Top 5 pick when Cleveland traded up for Quinn. Instead, Derek Anderson inexplicably has a Pro Bowl season and we wind up with Felix Jones. Maybe this isn't the most flawless idea.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:

1. Star L
2. C. Warmack
3. L Joeckel
4. J. Jones

I rather doubt it.

Re the highlighted portion. That made me laugh. What, or whomever could you be talking about?

Thanks North Wink
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deal with Devil.

DAL Trades 1.18(900) to
PHI for 2.3(550), 4.4(100), and 1st in 2014.
Chip Kelly wants Geno Smith, but 1.4 is too high.

2013 Picks After Trade
2.3(PHI)
4.4(PHI)

We could trade back into the first:
DAL Trades 2.3(550)from PHI + 4.4(100)from PHI
to NE for 1.29(640)
NE is short on picks, only 5 total, and they love making hay in the 2nd-4th rounds.

Picks after trade back into the 1st:
1.29(NE)Jonathan Cooper, G/C, North Carolina
2.15----Jonathan Cyprien, SS, Florida International
3.18----Brandon Williams, DT, Miss South St
4.17----Chris Faulk, OT, LSU
5.18----Matt Scott, QB, Arizona
6.17----Aaron Mellette, WR, Elon

We'd still have an extra 1st in 2014.
buckwild

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add a 2nd or 3rd in 2014 to NE. BB doesn't trade out of the 1st unless you over pay him. That's why they seen to almost always have 2 1st round picks. Cyprien in the 2nd seems a little high, and I hope they go OL and DL in the 1st 2 rounds.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
TVScout

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT you beat me to the punch! I was going to ask this question so absolutely yes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: