You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers big board (#3)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who should the Packers #3 target be?
Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia
25%
 25%  [ 16 ]
Bjoern Werner OLB Florida State
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Chance Warmack OG Alabama
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Dee Milliner CB Alabama
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Eric Fisher LT Central Michigan
17%
 17%  [ 11 ]
Sheldon Richardson DE Missouri
22%
 22%  [ 14 ]
Keenan Allen WR California
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Geno Smith QB West Virginia
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Johnathan Jenkins NT Georgia
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Jonathan Cooper C/OG North Carolina
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Lane Johnson LT Oklahoma
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ezekiel Ansah OLB BYU
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Jonathan Hankins DE/NT Ohio State
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Matt Barkley QB USC
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cordarrelle Patterson WR Tennessee
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Dion Jordan OLB Oregon
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Sharrif Floyd DE Florida
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Damontre Moore OLB Texas A&M
8%
 8%  [ 5 ]
Kenny Vaccaro S Texas
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Other (state who so we can add them next poll)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 62

justo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Packers big board (#3) Reply with quote

#1 Star Lotulelei DE/NT Utah
#2 Luke Joeckel OT Texas A&M

Still Eric Fisher for me
http://youtu.be/wNRtl7cED5U
The DEs (Richardson/Floyd) are close though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Packers big board (#3) Reply with quote

justo wrote:

Still Eric Fisher for me
Since you were pushing Fisher at #2, what do you see in Fisher that you like more then Joeckel? Apparantly I need to get up to speed on the OT's.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisher is more in line with my type of lineman(long, athletic) but there is some risk with him as well. If he fails at LT he is going to have a short career. Power plays are going to get him for a year or two also until he builds up that frame a bit. Not real far off from the Vikes first pick last year outside of level of comp. That's his game all day long though. Same pros and cons as well if your looking for a skills comparison.
justo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Packers big board (#3) Reply with quote

TheGreatZepp wrote:
justo wrote:

Still Eric Fisher for me
Since you were pushing Fisher at #2, what do you see in Fisher that you like more then Joeckel? Apparantly I need to get up to speed on the OT's.
Basically this
palmy50 wrote:
Fisher is more in line with my type of lineman(long, athletic)
Might be biased because I've seen about twice as much on Fisher than I have on Joeckel.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Packers big board (#3) Reply with quote

justo wrote:
]Basically this
palmy50 wrote:
Might be biased because I've seen about twice as much on Fisher than I have on Joeckel.

Also, Fisher's mirror skills are borderline unreal. Did you see that rep in the Sr. Bowl practices where he took Okafor all the way around the outside of pocket over to where the RT would be? I have literally never seen anybody do that to anybody else.
justo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Packers big board (#3) Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
justo wrote:
]Basically this
palmy50 wrote:

Also, Fisher's mirror skills are borderline unreal. Did you see that rep in the Sr. Bowl practices where he took Okafor all the way around the outside of pocket over to where the RT would be? I have literally never seen anybody do that to anybody else.
Right? Low key, tackle and cornerback are really similar because they have to mirror. I look at a lot of the same things when I look at CBs and OTs even though they are such different positions.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on Fisher at that spot is simple. If I had a LT need I would be all for him. I don't view tackle as a need for this Packers team as it stands today though. I would have taken Joeckel at #2 because he was in another tier for me. That's not the case with Fisher in my eyes (again, as it stands today) and that second tier is a big one in this years draft class. In that, what player would make the most impact for the Green Bay Packers? I have my doubts that would be Fisher.
justo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
My take on Fisher at that spot is simple. If I had a LT need I would be all for him. I don't view tackle as a need for this Packers team as it stands today though. I would have taken Joeckel at #2 because he was in another tier for me. That's not the case with Fisher in my eyes (again, as it stands today) and that second tier is a big one in this years draft class. In that, what player would make the most impact for the Green Bay Packers? I have my doubts that would be Fisher.
Do you think Jones is in that their that would make the most impact then? (assuming he is cleared medically)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Do you think Jones is in that their that would make the most impact then? (assuming he is cleared medically)

Given the Packers historical conservatism with guys who have diagnosed spinal issues (c..f Terrence Murphy, Sterling Sharpe, Nick Collins, Jeremy Thompson, Tim Lewis) I doubt the Packers would consider drafting Jarvis Jones in any round.

I mean, the USC docs told him to retire. I imagine the Packer docs would concur.
palmy50

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

Yes, he might even slide into that top tier pending workouts/med(clearly that's a big med though).

It just gets me that so many fans think this is a 1,2,3,4 thing. That's anything but the case for EVERY GM IN THE LEAGUE. You put them in value groups and try to find the best fit in that teir of players for your team at the time of the pick. If there is a player in the tier above no matter need, most GM's would hand in that card. But if you have ten players in your top tier ya go with impact/need.
justo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
justo wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

Yes, he might even slide into that top tier pending workouts/med(clearly that's a big med though).

It just gets me that so many fans think this is a 1,2,3,4 thing. That's anything but the case for EVERY GM IN THE LEAGUE. You put them in value groups and try to find the best fit in that teir of players for your team at the time of the pick. If there is a player in the tier above no matter need, most GM's would hand in that card. But if you have ten players in your top tier ya go with impact/need.
Is that always the case? I read War Room and they talked about Brady being in the top tier for like two rounds before picking him or something like that. Always thought what you said in bold was true until then.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
justo wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

Is that always the case? I read War Room and they talked about Brady being in the top tier for like two rounds before picking him or something like that. Always thought what you said in bold was true until then.

99 times out of 100 ya stick to your board. Clearly there are exceptions to every rule though.

EDIT: Also, that's not to say they did not take players out of that same tier the two rounds before. The backend of a draft board looks far different than the front end. If they said he was the top player on their board for two rounds that would be different. In that case, good chance they took players in a tier below thinking he would fall as QB's sometimes do pending need.
justo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
justo wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
justo wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

99 times out of 100 ya stick to your board. Clearly there are exceptions to every rule though.

EDIT: Also, that's not to say they did not take players out of that same tier the two rounds before. The backend of a draft board looks far different than the front end.
Assuming this means that the tiers look more like a pyramid as they go down than even rows, correct?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
justo wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
justo wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

EDIT: Also, that's not to say they did not take players out of that same tier the two rounds before. The backend of a draft board looks far different than the front end.
Assuming this means that the tiers look more like a pyramid as they go down than even rows, correct?

More times than not, YES. Those tiers on the backend often have a lot of names in them. That thing can be all over the place though. LIS, the second tier in this class is a big one for me. Last year the 4th tier was a big one for me(looks like that was the case for TT as well because him moved into it). TT is a great draft day GM though. Good chance one of those kids in that big second teir will be there for TT in round one. That will be the name you read at the bottom of the TV.

Last edited by palmy50 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total
spilltray

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it varies somewhat team to team and even year to year, but thanks Palmy for this explanation! I've said before people try and make it too simple black and white with their "Top X" big boards and trying to say definitvely Player A is > /</= Player B. It varies team to team, system to system, and even might vary round to round. I mean if you got a swing G/T or C/G earlier and still are considering OL the value of that pure C or T might go up or down. Or... you could have 5 different players at one position and have a ton of completely different lists how those 5 guys rank #1-5.

It's not nearly as simple an exercise as fans and media try and make it sound stacking all these players and variables against each other.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: