Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The official keep Revis thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimbo1904

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: The official keep Revis thread Reply with quote

Reasons to keep Revis.

1. This back and forth:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21736977/darrelle-revis-richard-sherman-exchange-twitter-barbs

2. He owns an island...

3. I just cant see this defense being that great without him. Yes, i know we finished in the top 5 for passing defense, but lets be honest, we played some bad teams in the second half of the year, and even worse, teams didnt HAVE to pass on us because they were always in the lead and we couldnt stop the run anyway. Go a whole year without Revis and we wont even be top 10 in pass defense. My bet would be around 15-20.

4. He is a leader/mentor. Look at how he turned Cro's season/career around.

5. Great locker room guy. Yes he wants his $$$ and he's held out twice. But when he is here, he doesnt get into trouble off the field.

6. He's freekin Revis.

Cons:

1. He wants a lot of money. IMO its not his fault Tanny overpaid a ton of people when he shouldnt have.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking out the opps on next year's schedule, and the WR's he will have to shut down next season.

(2)Pats - *Lloyd
(2)Bills - Stevie J.
(2)Dolphins - *Bess

Saints - Colston
Falcons - Julio/White
Panthers - Steve Smith
Buccs - Vincent Jackson
Titans - Britt
Ravens - T.Smith
Bengals - A.Green
Raiders - D.Moore
Browns - J.Gordon
Steelers - *A.Brown

A lot of the teams are likely in the market for a new #1.

If we can keep Cro & Revis. The match up against the Falcons will be very exciting.

Quote:
Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it. - Johnny Depp
KBS756

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
Just checking out the opps on next year's schedule, and the WR's he will have to shut down next season.

(2)Pats - *Lloyd
(2)Bills - Stevie J.
(2)Dolphins - *Bess

Saints - Colston
Falcons - Julio/White
Panthers - Steve Smith
Buccs - Vincent Jackson
Titans - Britt
Ravens - T.Smith
Bengals - A.Green
Raiders - D.Moore
Browns - J.Gordon
Steelers - *A.Brown

If we can keep Cro & Revis. The match up against the Falcons will be very exciting.

With Torrey Smith I think he's more a guy that Cromartie would cover, Boldin is a tough and capable posession receiver I think Revis covers him and Cromartie covers Smith

other then that seems about right

And its about time this thread was made. We absolutely need to keep Revis. Our defense is a different Defense with him on the field. Combine having him Cromartie and a pass rush and our defense is basically where it would need to be to keep us competitive every game.

Then we just need a somewhat competent offense and we have some hope.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KBS756 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

(2)Pats - *Lloyd
(2)Bills - Stevie J.
(2)Dolphins - *Bess

Saints - Colston
Falcons - Julio/White
Panthers - Steve Smith
Buccs - Vincent Jackson
Titans - Britt
Ravens - T.Smith
Bengals - A.Green
Raiders - D.Moore
Browns - J.Gordon
Steelers - *A.Brown

With Torrey Smith I think he's more a guy that Cromartie would cover, Boldin is a tough and capable posession receiver I think Revis covers him and Cromartie covers Smith

other then that seems about right

And its about time this thread was made. We absolutely need to keep Revis. Our defense is a different Defense with him on the field. Combine having him Cromartie and a pass rush and our defense is basically where it would need to be to keep us competitive every game.

Then we just need a somewhat competent offense and we have some hope.

your right. I didn't mention Boldin because I heard the Ravens are looking to cut him. Cro would be a better match up for him.

I can't even imagine how good Revis & Cro would look with a real pass rusher in our front 7.

Quote:
Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it. - Johnny Depp
ekill08x

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, as much as I love him, and as great as he is, the cornerback position is not worth 16 million. Its hardly worth that for TWO players let alone one. If we do keep him, we HAVE to trade Cro because we can't invest over 20 million in one position, especially one where a good pass rush could overcompensate for a weaker secondary. Time to start spending smart money. 16 million on a cornerback who has a bit of a "me first" attitude is not a good investment. Its sucks because hes so talented, but we have to rebuild this roster and bring in team players. Revis really just wants to get paid and would rather be the greatest and highest paid CB of all time and not necessarily part of a super bowl team. At the end of the day, im a Jets fan, not a Darrelle Revis fan.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
KBS756

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
Honestly, as much as I love him, and as great as he is, the cornerback position is not worth 16 million. Its hardly worth that for TWO players let alone one. If we do keep him, we HAVE to trade Cro because we can't invest over 20 million in one position, especially one where a good pass rush could overcompensate for a weaker secondary. Time to start spending smart money. 16 million on a cornerback who has a bit of a "me first" attitude is not a good investment. Its sucks because hes so talented, but we have to rebuild this roster and bring in team players. Revis really just wants to get paid and would rather be the greatest and highest paid CB of all time and not necessarily part of a super bowl team. At the end of the day, im a Jets fan, not a Darrelle Revis fan.

Id Trade Cro and a late pick to get a end of first pick and pick up a guy like Xavier Rhodes and save ourselves 6 mil a year or something like that. Revis though I wouldnt move.

I dont think Revis ends up gettin 16 Mil a year think he's closer to 12-13 mil a year when all is said and done unless some moronic team decides to give him 16 Mil
sandwhich

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KBS756 wrote:
ekill08x wrote:

Id Trade Cro and a late pick to get a end of first pick and pick up a guy like Xavier Rhodes and save ourselves 6 mil a year or something like that. Revis though I wouldnt move.

I dont think Revis ends up gettin 16 Mil a year think he's closer to 12-13 mil a year when all is said and done unless some moronic team decides to give him 16 Mil

He's going to want 16 mil, probably end up somewhere around 13-15 if he signs an extension. I'd bet on 15.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revis' contract is

2013: 9m Cap Hit..... 6m Payable.

Base salary: 3m
Workout Bonus: 1m
Roster Bonus: 1m
Misc Bonus: 1m
Pro-rated Bonus: 3m

6m payable means Revis expects to be paid 6m this year. That is why Revis is unhappy.

If Revis wants 12m at worst, then it has to be another pro-rated bonus because it helps control the salary cap. 2m per season.

2013: 11m Cap Hit... 12m payable.

Base Salary: 3m
3 bonuses: 3m
old pro-rated bonus: 3m
new pro-rated bonus: 2m

Whilst Revis is happy with 12m, Jets will suck up 15m Cap Hit for 2014 if he signs with new team instead of 9m.

New Contract has to be done if Revis wants more than 12m payable.

Saying 20m signing bonus at worst. 4m per season.

2013: 13m Cap Hit.... 26m Payable.

Base Salary: 6m
Old Pro-Rated Bonus: 3m
Signing Bonus: 4m.

If Revis laughs at 26m payable, then 6m per season (30m SB)

2013: 11m Cap Hit.... 32m Payable.

Base Salary: 2m
Old Pro-Rated Bonus: 3m
Signing Bonus: 6m.

However, Jets must complete the new contract with Revis by March 15. Otherwise, Jets have to add 1m each 20m and 30m examples. Surely 1m is peanuts but each dime does matter.
famousj

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason to keep Revis:

7. Revis has 350,000 twitter followers.

Props to Sandwich for Sig

Idzik: SPEND BABY SPEND!!!!
quietjetsket

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

famousj wrote:
Another reason to keep Revis:

7. Revis has 350,000 twitter followers.

Only 350k?
rickyt31

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@BCusterSNY
Rex Ryan at combine: "I called @Revis24 and told him the reports of us trading him are not accurate!" #nyj

Quote:
@KMart_LI
Rex: "We have not discussed trading @Revis24." #nyj #jets

Quote:
@HubbuchNYP: Rex: “Do I expect to trade Darrelle Revis? No. But that’s not to say something couldn’t come up.”

Quote:
GangGreen420

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
Quote:
@BCusterSNY
Rex Ryan at combine: "I called @Revis24 and told him the reports of us trading him are not accurate!" #nyj

Quote:
@KMart_LI
Rex: "We have not discussed trading @Revis24." #nyj #jets

Quote:
@HubbuchNYP: Rex: “Do I expect to trade Darrelle Revis? No. But that’s not to say something couldn’t come up.”

Yeah, whatever you say, Rex.
Karmaloop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, it's best to take Rex's words with a large dose of salt. I know he definitely wants to keep Revis, but that doesn't mean Woody does.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets face it, if a team is willing to give us more than a few picks, I dont see us turning it down. Its a shame Kyle Wilson didnt turn out to be more than an ave CB.
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, pay Revis. We WILL NOT get enough value in return for him. a 1st rounder isn't enough, that player won't be Revis. Pay your stars, our cap situation is good after this season. Trade Cromartie which actually saves cap space this year.

Props to El Ramster on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: