Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offseason CBs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Offseason CBs Reply with quote

We keep talking about WR this and WR that. Pass rush this and pass rush that but we aren't talking about the Free agent CBs. We have talked about drafting CBs but not the free agents.

The free agent CBs this year include:

Brent Grimes- (5'10 183) Grimes is coming off of another Achilles injury. At 30 years old, he still has a lot left in the tank. Grimes would be worth a 1 year contract more than Sean Smith would be. He can play Zone or Man.

Leodis McKelvin- (5'10 185) Dangerous return man, very fast and has been solid as a CB. He isn't anything spectacular but still has promise. With Kevin Coyle, McKelvin can tap into that talent and become a quality CB. He is still only 27 years old.

Dominique Rogers Cromartie- (6'2 182) Freakish athlete and is a playmaker with the ball in his hands. This guy can play press man pretty well. In Philly he was used more in zone coverage which is not his strength. He would be a perfect fit for our defense. Only 26 years old, DRC still has room to grow

Cary Williams- (6'1 190) Williams stepped in and played very well in place of Ladrious Webb this season. With the Ravens depth at CB, (Webb, Smith, and Graham) they won't pay him the money he is looking for. Williams is a man coverage CB which fits the system. Williams is 28 and still has something left.

Derek Cox- (6'1 195) Cox is only 26 years old. Cox has a lot of potential but he has had some injury issues. If he can stay healthy, he can be a free agency steal. I don't know if the Jags let him walk. Cox is still young and can overcome the injury bug.

Other CB Free Agents:
Chris Houston
Aqib Talib
Charles Woodson

My favorites in Free agency are as follows

Leodis Mckelvin: Still young, athletic, and doubles as a return man

DRC: Also still young, good man coverage CB, and has the speed this defense needs to not get burned.

Cary Williams: The veteran that was able to play at a high level for the Ravens. I don't know if it had more to do with the defense he was in or the fact that he was just that good playing man up defense.

Let's not forget Darrelle Revis may be up for trade.

UniversalAuthor
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also going to mention Laron Landry in this thread as well.

Landry is looking for 6 million annually after finishing 16 games with 6 turnovers and 100 tackles. Tyvon Branch signed a 5 year 6.65. Landry doesn't seem to be looking to get paid the most just want he thinks he is worth.

I for one, would love to sign Landry but I don't know if he is a free agent, or RFA.

UniversalAuthor
BDog19851

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed! Miami needs to get one of these guys, money will be a huge factor in which one. If Ireland doesn't land a free agent cb I will be very upset! Miami is in dire need of cb help, and not many rookies can be productive at cb. There are a lot or guys on that list that are better than anything Miami has on the roster to date. I can't see paying Sean Smith 10 million a year either, to me hes worth 5 or 6 million at most.
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BDog19851 wrote:
Agreed! Miami needs to get one of these guys, money will be a huge factor in which one. If Ireland doesn't land a free agent cb I will be very upset! Miami is in dire need of cb help, and not many rookies can be productive at cb. There are a lot or guys on that list that are better than anything Miami has on the roster to date. I can't see paying Sean Smith 10 million a year either, to me hes worth 5 or 6 million at most.

I would love to have DRC or Williams. Both can step in and play btter than Smith

UniversalAuthor
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lke derrick cox and I am keeping my eye on Chris Gamble who will be a cap casualty with carolina cap strapped, I like gamble speed and game. I did read Richard Marshall is feeling real good and should be ready to go. He isnt a world beater but is a solid corner when healthy. Whatever happens I dont want to see wilson or carrol in coverage much or I am gonna pull my hair out
BDog19851

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to steal Talib from the Pats, but I don't think hes Phillbins type of guy, with the off field issues. DRC would be a great fit in my opinion, young and tons of potential!
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
I lke derrick cox and I am keeping my eye on Chris Gamble who will be a cap casualty with carolina cap strapped, I like gamble speed and game. I did read Richard Marshall is feeling real good and should be ready to go. He isnt a world beater but is a solid corner when healthy. Whatever happens I dont want to see wilson or carrol in coverage much or I am gonna pull my hair out

Wilson and Carroll should not be on the starting line up. I like Cox and his age. I like the fact he is still young and can be a good corner for up to 6 years for us.

Gamble is a good CB but he is getting up there in age. He will be 30 next month. He is a good CB but not sure he will be worth it.

Marshall is a good CB when healthy. He has been good every where he has been. He played well this year but his back was injured during most of the season. I am fine with Marshall at CB but we need somebody opposite of him.

UniversalAuthor
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news

Worth noting that the Ravens do want to resign him. Even with Jimmy Smith, Corey Graham, and Lardarius Webb, they want Williams back. I don't know if it will get done though.

UniversalAuthor
Miami2DaMax

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Houston would be nice imo. Underrated a tad.
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have read Cary Williams is severely overrated by media outlets.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith was a +.2 this season.

Williams a -2.0

DRC +2.9
Aso -7.3
Cox 1.2 (Played 12 games)
Houston +3.1 (Best all around using PFF metrics, as far as he didn't have any truly awful games.)
McKelvin- +.4 only played in 9 games though
Talib +.4 (Extremely overrated and doesn't fit the scheme IMO)

The guys on this list I would look at are:
Smith
DRC
Aso
Cox
MAYBE Houston (I love him, always has but he doesn't fit the scheme of big CB's)

The guy that isn't listed that I want badly is:
Bradley Fletcher +5.9
Didn't have any bad games via PFF. Love his size and his press ability. Good tackler as well. He is my number 1 FA CB for Miami. 6' 200 pounds.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolphins have Richard Marshall rebounding from injury & Dimitri Patterson currently under contract. Patterson's is voidable based on a Waiver Pickup without a Cap Penalty.

Marshall 3 Years 16.0 Million (5.33 M AAV)
Patterson 3 Years 16.05 M (5.35 M AAV)

Resigning Sean Smith needs to be done in context to available players on the open market & their fit in Kevin Coyle's scheme.

The FA Class of Corners is the deepest in years, which should allow Ireland to avoid overpaying to retain Sean Smith. However, if an upgrade is available its worth considering.
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:
Dolphins have Richard Marshall rebounding from injury & Dimitri Patterson currently under contract. Patterson's is voidable based on a Waiver Pickup without a Cap Penalty.

Marshall 3 Years 16.0 Million (5.33 M AAV)
Patterson 3 Years 16.05 M (5.35 M AAV)

Resigning Sean Smith needs to be done in context to available players on the open market & their fit in Kevin Coyle's scheme.

The FA Class of Corners is the deepest in years, which should allow Ireland to avoid overpaying to retain Sean Smith. However, if an upgrade is available its worth considering.

IMO the free agent CBs are better than Smith. Smith was beat consistently. He struggles against speed as well. I think we can get a young CB with a huge ceiling in DRC. DRC may have been inconsistent at times but a secondary Guru like Kevin Coyle will be able to help him become better. Look at what Carlos Rogers and Deangelo Hall did after they changed systems. I kind of see DRC doing the same.

UniversalAuthor
mountainpd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No love for Keenan Lewis?

Cox would be my favourite player to target by a good distance followed by

Lewis, Talib.

^^^Kempes^^^
RealMetalFan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign DRC.

Re-sign Sean Smith as a FS and move him there. He would be a great FS, keeping his eyes on the QB.

That right there is Catrinel Menghia, hottest woman who ever lived, soon to be Catrinel Alexander if she isn't careful.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: