Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Surprised the Giants Haven't Cut Diehl and Webster yet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GMENNATION

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Surprised the Giants Haven't Cut Diehl and Webster yet? Reply with quote

Many of us on here, including myself, expected Diehl to be gone and Webster to probably be gone. However, the Giants made cuts early and have been quiet ever since. I'm beginning to think they intend to keep Diehl AND Webster.

Both would probably be willing to restructure and while they are no longer ideal, they do provide experience and leadership to a team that will be seeing significant changes.

Typical Giants to wait it out on the RT position, hoping one of their draft picks in the last few years pans out and the more I think about it, its not a bad move. There were a few underclassmen that chose to stay in school one more year. If the Giants are still in a hole at RT after next season, they have options in the draft.

As for CB, they are probably hoping Prince can take teams' #1 and have Webster play off on the #2 for another year instead of spending a high pick or top dollar on another starter.

Both of these move are typical Giants, playing safe and being vanilla but who knows, maybe the both end up being cut anyway!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diehl probably will be competition in offseason and then get cut and Webster will stay with the team.
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giants won't cut these guys until they have replacements on the roster. If they don't get a replacement, I'd expect each one of them to take a pay cut because those salaries are ridiculous.
Gmen4ev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HakeemTheDream wrote:
Giants won't cut these guys until they have replacements on the roster. If they don't get a replacement, I'd expect each one of them to take a pay cut because those salaries are ridiculous.

Yup pretty much what I was gonna say Laughing

I'm Possible
ottawagiants10

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HakeemTheDream wrote:

I agree with this but I do want them to give Webster another year to see if he can rebound. Deihl is finished as a player. The guy was a warrior but now he is a liability. I feel bad for saying this but when he got hurt early in the year I was actually happy. It's no coincidence that the run game took off for the weeks he missed and that the online didn't give up a sack for weeks.
Acgott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It costs 9.8 mill to cut Webster, but all of his contract can be given into a bonus to severely lower his cap hit
GMENNATION

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
It costs 9.8 mill to cut Webster, but all of his contract can be given into a bonus to severely lower his cap hit

How do you figure? He is in the last year of his contract so you cannot lower his cap hit unless you extend him, similar to what the Patriots just did with Brady. They save 7 mil in cap space by cutting Webster.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMENNATION wrote:
Acgott wrote:

How do you figure? He is in the last year of his contract so you cannot lower his cap hit unless you extend him, similar to what the Patriots just did with Brady. They save 7 mil in cap space by cutting Webster.

I misinterpreted his contract.

The Giants have the option to convert any of his yearly to a signing bonus that would be spread over the rest of his contract. Since he is in the final year now, it does not matter.

His base salary: 7 mill
Signing bonus: 2.595 million
Misc bonus 0.295

So the Giants would save about 4 million by cutting him I believe
Vanilla_Ice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't we just cut our losses and dump Diehl already? I have no idea why this franchise holds onto him. It's a wonder Eli hasn't been IR'd the last few years.
bigblueben

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Diehl will be gone, but we have no need to cut him yet. The fact that the cap may actually be more than $2m higher than first projected could just mean that we are waiting for that to be finalised before we decide what to do with who. As painful as it is to imagine, the Giants will want to keep him around whilst Beatty is negotiating his contract too.

If you were wanting to paint the Giants as the ultimate good guys, you could also speculate that they are keeping hold of him for now so he could get his minor surgery done before having to look for a new team Very Happy

mad props to Rase on the sig
ottawagiants10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that Beatty is signed it should make it easier to cut Deihl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: