Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

ESF's First Mock of 2013

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
EverythingSF


Joined: 15 Jun 2010
Posts: 3035
Location: Merced, CA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: ESF's First Mock of 2013 Reply with quote

*For the time being I will just not even mention Alex for the fact that I do not want this to turn into a debate on what Alex would really fetch, or not fetch

Resigns
FS Dashon Goldson
NT Ricky Jean Francois
TE Delanie Walker

Free Agent Signings
QB Josh Johnson

Cuts
K David Akers
OLB Parys Haralson

Draft
Trade from #30 up to #21. We give up 3.12 (from CAR) to do so. We jump in front of the Rams to steal a player they would love to have while Cincy trades back to a spot where they can still grab Lacy and add a pick while they're at it.

1st Round (#20)
WR Cordarrelle Patterson (Tennessee)
- The guy is amazing in open space, and he is even better at creating open space. Also a great kick/punt returner he replaces Ginn, adds depth and competes (but loses out) with James for the job. He is a perfect addition to the WR core as him, Crabtree, Manningham and a developed Jenkins would be insane to try and cover while spying on Kaep and stopping Gore/Hunter/James in the process. He makes our offense as complete as can be.

2nd Round
FS DJ Swearinger (South Carolina)
- This guy seems to be completely underrated IMO. At the moment he is my favorite safety in the draft as he is as versatile as they come. He was doing everything for the South Carolina defense and the fact that he can play press coverage really sales me on him. With a 3-4 defense a true SS is not needed as much and I believe Goldson would fit that role quite well. We would have two very similar, very potent safeties....and we would not have to suffer through Whitner getting beat in coverage anymore

3rd Round
**Trade up from the 3.31 with the Giants for 3.19 and give up 4.31 in addition**
OLB Devin Taylor (South Carolina)
- The San Francisco Gamecocks...I mean 49ers need the depth at OLB and this guy gets forgotten about because of others stealing the limelight at South Carolina. At the end of the 3rd he offers great value and he immediately steps in and serves as a safety net to both Smith and Brooks...hopefully leading to the replacement of Brooks in the long run. We trade up to ensure the run of 3-4 teams ahead of us does not get their hands on him first.

5th Round (#24)
DE Joe Kruger (Utah)
- I know this is not as early as we would like to grab a DE, but at the time being DE is still only a position that we need depth at. While we do have to worry about injuries to one of our starters, we also fill other holes first in this draft and allow ourselves to grab a DE in the first round of next years draft as the eventual successor to Justin Smith. Currently Kruger is listed as a late 7th round grade. I expect him to gain some momentum before the draft. The brother of Ravens Paul Kruger, this guy has talent and is only unheard of thus far because no one expected him to forego his senior season at Utah. Here's his game tape versus BYU;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNUc_waKMrU

5th Round (#31)
K Dustin Hopkins (Florida State)
- I had previously liked Sturgis better, but the leg strength of Hopkins excites me more. Not only is more capable of keeping the other team from returning Kickoffs, but he has plenty of leg to make it from 50+. We get our kicker of the future and do not have to suffer from Akers anymore.

6th Round (#12)
NT TJ Barnes (Georgia Tech)
-The chance to add depth after losing Soap to free agency. Barnes being a big boy can eat up blockers and compete with Williams and RJF to be the teams NT.

6th Round (#31)
MLB Vince Williams (Florida State)
- The Seminoles and the Gamecocks compete to see who can get more players a Super Bowl ring next season. I feel Williams can step in and serve as good depth behind Bowman and Willis as we are almost certain not to have Grant back next season. He also could serve well on special teams for us.

7th Round (#21)
CB Trey Wilson (Vanderbilt)
- How this guy is projected as a UDFA baffles me. Just as I was very high on Casey Heyward last year, I really like Wilson as well. I do not see him being as good as Heyward coming out, but I do see him as great value at the end of a draft and someone that could surprise. I figure a selling point for many here would be to realize the dominating performance he had against Tennessee Wideouts, Cordarrelle Patterson and Justin Hunter

7th Round (#31)
WR Marlon Brown (Georgia)
- He suffered a knee injury or he would be going higher. While watching this video I have posted below, the two plays following :30 had me pick him automatically. He shows ability to comeback to the ball while his QB created time which our offense needs in it's WR's. Then on the following play he shows that he can be a target in the Redzone which we desperately need.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZbBl_CV8rk

Roster
QB- Colin Kaepernick / Scott Tolzein / Josh Johnson
RB- Frank Gore / Kendall Hunter / LaMichael James / Anthony Dixon
FB- Bruce Miller
WR- Michael Crabtree / AJ Jenkins / Marlon Brown
WR- Cordarrelle Patterson / Mario Manningham / Kyle Williams
TE- Vernon Davis / Delanie Walker / Garrett Celek
LT- Joe Staley /
LG- Mike Iupati / Joe Looney
C- John Goodwin / Daniel Kilgore
RG- Alex Boone /
RT- Anthony Davis /

LE- Ray McDonald / Ricky Jean Francois
NT- RJF / Ian Williams / TJ Barnes
RE- Justin Smith / Joe Kruger
ROLB- Aldon Smith / Darius Fleming / Cam Johnson
MLB- Patrick Willis / Tavares Gooden
MLB- Navorro Bowman / Vince Williams
LOLB- Ahmad Brooks / Devin Taylor / Clark Haggans
CB- Carlos Rodgers / Chris Culliver / Tramaine Brock
CB- Tarrell Brown / Perrish Cox / Trey Wilson
FS- Dashon Goldson / Trent Robinson
SS- DJ Swearinger / Dante Whitner / CJ Spillman

K- Dustin Hopkins
P- Andy Lee
LS- Brian Jennings
KR- LaMichael James
PR- LaMichael James

*I wish I found an OT for depth purposes, but Baalke will figure that one out Wink
_________________

^Thanks to NS922

EverythingSF wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Alex's Mom?

Alex's High School Backup? Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AT49ers


Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Posts: 561
Location: DC,washington
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love this draft, but correct me if im wrong but don't we have 1 more 3rd round pick which we could take tyrann mathieu Wink

btw 8.5/10
_________________


props to WalterRedskins on the great sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SFaithful97


Joined: 08 Mar 2007
Posts: 2975
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Patterson a lot, but I really don't want to draft him or any WR in the 1st round. I think we have the players on the roster that can play at a high level and provide solid depth, especially if Moss is back for one more year (but even if not). Jenkins is going to surprise people this year. Many just see his lack of production this year, but I remember how solid he was with his technique heading into the draft lat year and truly believe he is at worst a very good #3/slot receiver. With Manningham, Crabtree, KW, Lockette, and maybe Moss, I see zero need to draft a WR unless it is a CJ/Fitz/AJ Green type of prospect. I just don't see that with Patterson.

I really think if we are trading up into the 21 spot or anything in that range, it will be for a premier defensive player that has fallen farther than we thought he would. Even better, to grab the top TE in this draft.
_________________

MAC DRE wrote:
I'd rather have young Wagner and Wright going forward than Willis and Bowman.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kikuchiyo


Joined: 25 Mar 2008
Posts: 2117
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad draft, if a bit hopeful.

I think with the lack of blue chip prospects in this draft Patterson goes much higher than that, not deservingly so, but after the combine I think he might go top 10. Still, I'm not really that big a fan of him for us (and believe me, I've been back and forth on this guy. He's got some fun highlight reels). He's SUPER raw. Not really much of an outside receiver, he's better used in the slot at this point. He's got really inconsistent hands and dropped a lot of deep balls this year. His playing style reminds me more of a Tavon Austin than a Julio Jones. Meaning, he's more of a gadget guy than pure receiver. I do believe he'll be a pretty good player in this league, but I'm not sure he'll ever live up to that insane potential.

Swearinger's one of my favorite S prospects. Good pick here.

I don't like Devin Taylor as an OLB. His athleticism is overrated and he's way too stiff to play LBer. I think his best fit in the 34 is as a 5tech, but I like Kruger better at that spot anyway.

As I said, I like Kruger as a potential 5tech, but I don't think he lasts this long. After the combine, I see him drawing comparisons to JJ Watt and possibly going as high as the second round.

The rest of the picks are pretty good.
_________________

A Big Thanks To PatsDynasty21
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 6953
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of drafting any we in the first unless its a top 5 guy. I haven't hopped on the Patterson bandwagon yet, and in a draft this deep at wr where there is little difference between say, 1-8, I don't see the value being there. I agree that if we are trading up, its to snag an elite defender.

I'm a fan of swearinger, so I like that pick. And I definitely want to give Kruger a crack with that motor of his, so hopefully he falls to us in the middle rounds.
_________________


Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EverythingSF


Joined: 15 Jun 2010
Posts: 3035
Location: Merced, CA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AT49ers wrote:
love this draft, but correct me if im wrong but don't we have 1 more 3rd round pick which we could take tyrann mathieu Wink

btw 8.5/10


I traded it away to move up in the first. If we are given a compensatory 3rd Round pick then I would go with;

OT Chris Faulk (LSU)
-He would be a guy that would need to learn how to get after it in the weight room and probably would need a coach that forced him into good work ethic. A very big upside though and for the time being would be a good backup for us to have. A good alternative would be Brian Winters who is versatile enough to serve as depth at both Guard and Tackle.
_________________

^Thanks to NS922

EverythingSF wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Alex's Mom?

Alex's High School Backup? Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoCalNiner


Moderator
Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 22668
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very happy with this draft. Nice job.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EverythingSF


Joined: 15 Jun 2010
Posts: 3035
Location: Merced, CA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kikuchiyo wrote:
Not a bad draft, if a bit hopeful.

I think with the lack of blue chip prospects in this draft Patterson goes much higher than that, not deservingly so, but after the combine I think he might go top 10. Still, I'm not really that big a fan of him for us (and believe me, I've been back and forth on this guy. He's got some fun highlight reels). He's SUPER raw. Not really much of an outside receiver, he's better used in the slot at this point. He's got really inconsistent hands and dropped a lot of deep balls this year. His playing style reminds me more of a Tavon Austin than a Julio Jones. Meaning, he's more of a gadget guy than pure receiver. I do believe he'll be a pretty good player in this league, but I'm not sure he'll ever live up to that insane potential.

Swearinger's one of my favorite S prospects. Good pick here.

I don't like Devin Taylor as an OLB. His athleticism is overrated and he's way too stiff to play LBer. I think his best fit in the 34 is as a 5tech, but I like Kruger better at that spot anyway.

As I said, I like Kruger as a potential 5tech, but I don't think he lasts this long. After the combine, I see him drawing comparisons to JJ Watt and possibly going as high as the second round.

The rest of the picks are pretty good.


Patterson will probably continue to rise and after the Combine we should be able to know more. I do think we can have enough WR's with Kaep at QB though. For one, both Manningham and Moss are question marks to return. And honestly without Moss returning I feel we could use someone of Patterson's stature. It is a deep class, but that does not mean you still take the 2nd or 3rd best....you go get your guy and for the time being see him as that guy. His versatility in being able to do about just anything on the field paired with his uncanny ability in open space makes me think he completes this offense. Also, I am a big believer in AJ Jenkins still but I think we would have quite the 3 headed monster with Crabtree, Patterson and Jenkins.

As far as OLB goes, my other option I was looking at was Jamie Collins out of Southern Miss. But I liked the upside of Taylor better and from a report I read they said while it does not seem like the best fit because of his larger size, he plays fluid enough to be a 3-4 guy. I really like his upside, but if the fit is not there then it is a bad pick.
_________________

^Thanks to NS922

EverythingSF wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Alex's Mom?

Alex's High School Backup? Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kikuchiyo


Joined: 25 Mar 2008
Posts: 2117
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverythingSF wrote:
Patterson will probably continue to rise and after the Combine we should be able to know more. I do think we can have enough WR's with Kaep at QB though. For one, both Manningham and Moss are question marks to return. And honestly without Moss returning I feel we could use someone of Patterson's stature. It is a deep class, but that does not mean you still take the 2nd or 3rd best....you go get your guy and for the time being see him as that guy. His versatility in being able to do about just anything on the field paired with his uncanny ability in open space makes me think he completes this offense. Also, I am a big believer in AJ Jenkins still but I think we would have quite the 3 headed monster with Crabtree, Patterson and Jenkins.


I agree WR is a pretty big need. Bigger than people around here want to admit. We don't know what KW or Manningham will look like after the injuries. Ginn and Moss are likely gone. Crabs and Jenkins are really the only two guaranteed a roster spot next season.We'll definitely be in the market for a good receiver.

Quote:
As far as OLB goes, my other option I was looking at was Jamie Collins out of Southern Miss. But I liked the upside of Taylor better and from a report I read they said while it does not seem like the best fit because of his larger size, he plays fluid enough to be a 3-4 guy. I really like his upside, but if the fit is not there then it is a bad pick.


Ooh, I like Collins. Super athletic for the position and extremely versatile. He played DB as a freshman for the Golden Eagles and just kept growing until he was playing on the D-line.
_________________

A Big Thanks To PatsDynasty21
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
48 1/2ers


Joined: 01 Aug 2011
Posts: 2418
Location: UCI
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this draft alot also! but I think its going to take alot more that our first and a 3rd to get to pick #21. Especially for Patterson.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EverythingSF


Joined: 15 Jun 2010
Posts: 3035
Location: Merced, CA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kikuchiyo wrote:
EverythingSF wrote:
Patterson will probably continue to rise and after the Combine we should be able to know more. I do think we can have enough WR's with Kaep at QB though. For one, both Manningham and Moss are question marks to return. And honestly without Moss returning I feel we could use someone of Patterson's stature. It is a deep class, but that does not mean you still take the 2nd or 3rd best....you go get your guy and for the time being see him as that guy. His versatility in being able to do about just anything on the field paired with his uncanny ability in open space makes me think he completes this offense. Also, I am a big believer in AJ Jenkins still but I think we would have quite the 3 headed monster with Crabtree, Patterson and Jenkins.


I agree WR is a pretty big need. Bigger than people around here want to admit. We don't know what KW or Manningham will look like after the injuries. Ginn and Moss are likely gone. Crabs and Jenkins are really the only two guaranteed a roster spot next season.We'll definitely be in the market for a good receiver.

Quote:
As far as OLB goes, my other option I was looking at was Jamie Collins out of Southern Miss. But I liked the upside of Taylor better and from a report I read they said while it does not seem like the best fit because of his larger size, he plays fluid enough to be a 3-4 guy. I really like his upside, but if the fit is not there then it is a bad pick.


Ooh, I like Collins. Super athletic for the position and extremely versatile. He played DB as a freshman for the Golden Eagles and just kept growing until he was playing on the D-line.


Shocked That I did not know and it only makes me like him even more now. I am a big fan of versatility, especially in that area. A 3-4 pass rush OLB that is also quite capable in coverage? Sign me up for that bandwagon Very Happy
_________________

^Thanks to NS922

EverythingSF wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Alex's Mom?

Alex's High School Backup? Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mrscottso


Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 10059
Location: NY
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFaithful97 wrote:
I like Patterson a lot, but I really don't want to draft him or any WR in the 1st round. I think we have the players on the roster that can play at a high level and provide solid depth, especially if Moss is back for one more year (but even if not). Jenkins is going to surprise people this year. Many just see his lack of production this year, but I remember how solid he was with his technique heading into the draft lat year and truly believe he is at worst a very good #3/slot receiver. With Manningham, Crabtree, KW, Lockette, and maybe Moss, I see zero need to draft a WR unless it is a CJ/Fitz/AJ Green type of prospect. I just don't see that with Patterson.

I really think if we are trading up into the 21 spot or anything in that range, it will be for a premier defensive player that has fallen farther than we thought he would. Even better, to grab the top TE in this draft.


I disagree, I think we are a really good wr and a lock down corner away from winning the superbowl. If we can get Patterson, we should. We can't always depend on our D as we saw in the superbowl, so we could use more fire power to score more.
_________________


BlaqOptic wrote:
Dan Connor is twice the LineBacker that "PWilly" will ever be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SFaithful97


Joined: 08 Mar 2007
Posts: 2975
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrscottso wrote:
SFaithful97 wrote:
I like Patterson a lot, but I really don't want to draft him or any WR in the 1st round. I think we have the players on the roster that can play at a high level and provide solid depth, especially if Moss is back for one more year (but even if not). Jenkins is going to surprise people this year. Many just see his lack of production this year, but I remember how solid he was with his technique heading into the draft lat year and truly believe he is at worst a very good #3/slot receiver. With Manningham, Crabtree, KW, Lockette, and maybe Moss, I see zero need to draft a WR unless it is a CJ/Fitz/AJ Green type of prospect. I just don't see that with Patterson.

I really think if we are trading up into the 21 spot or anything in that range, it will be for a premier defensive player that has fallen farther than we thought he would. Even better, to grab the top TE in this draft.


I disagree, I think we are a really good wr and a lock down corner away from winning the superbowl. If we can get Patterson, we should. We can't always depend on our D as we saw in the superbowl, so we could use more fire power to score more.
I realize now that I was somewhat unclear on what I do want. CB in the first is a pick I would be fine with, if the value is there. I agree that it is the weakest position on our defense and needs an upgrade.

As far as WR goes, I think there will be a lot of good value FAs on the market this year, simply due to the volume. There will be many of them and with players like Wallace, Jennings, Bowe, and Welker getting most of the attention I believe we can get a player like Amendola or Hartline for a decent price. I think Crabtree is a very good #1, and those guys can both do everything at a not quite elite level. Both have been #1 receivers for their teams, but are not suited for that role. As a #2 I think either of those guys would thrive opposite from Crabtree, and both are very good hands catchers.

I know you can never have enough talent, and if you have a chance at a superstar WR you take it even with Crabtree on our team, but I feel if we do not address our secondary and our DL with some impact players in the draft in the next few years we will fall off as a defense when we lose Rogers, Sopoaga, and most importantly J. Smith. It is much easier to find an impact WR later in the draft than it is to find a great 5 tech IMO.
_________________

MAC DRE wrote:
I'd rather have young Wagner and Wright going forward than Willis and Bowman.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
49ers Finest


Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 8795
Location: San Jose
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
I like this draft alot also! but I think its going to take alot more that our first and a 3rd to get to pick #21. Especially for Patterson.

The pats traded from 31 to 25 last year for a fourth.
People are thinking too much with the trade chart. I think it's rarely used. Looking at the trades last year, it would seem none were "enough". Pats traded 62 in the second to the pack for 90 in the third and a fifth. That's almost 30 spots up for a fifth!

I like this draft. Sweringer is rising a lot it seems. Good stuff
_________________
***WE RUN THE WEST!***
SB AT HOME!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

new sig... sorry alex
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 39886
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like getting Goldson and RJF back, and am not thrilled but okay with bringing Walker back.

I am pretty happy with your first 2 picks in Patterson and Swearinger... though not thrilled at trading up for a WR.

Not at all sure that Taylor will make it as a rush LB... but I'd expect our scouting to know more than I... so if he's the choice, I can find the optimism.

I guess Kruger has a decent chance as a successful 3-4 DE, and at that value, can not complain.

Would be great to get Vince Williams so late.. like that one a lot.

Overall, not ideal for me, but not bad either.


_________________

___
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group