Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pre-Combine Mock Draft Crap.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quietjetsket

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Pre-Combine Mock Draft Crap. Reply with quote

Jump to first Arrow if you want only names.

I. Head Coach
Rex Ryan lacks head coaching material as he has no idea how to handle the full team. He is still outstanding defense-mind coach. He has struggled to find a good click on offensive side. He actually expected Marty Mornhinweg to bolster the offense into pass happy team when he has known for balanced offense attack. Did Mornhinweg promise to use Andy Reid's pass happy offense?

Conclusively, Ryan has yet to show his football IQ as head coach as I expect he will be as good as a goner anytime before 2014 season. I certainly am more than happy if he is another Gary Kubiak, who had struggled to solve defense problem until hiring Wade Phillips. However, timing may be an issue for impatient fans. I have started fielding coaches for 2014.

II. Offensive Coordinator
Marty Mornhinweg will make his fourth NFL offensive coordinator stint with Jets. Under Rex Ryan, Jets never had scored worse than 17th in NFL (2009) with Brian Schottenheimer in charge but Tony Sparano had the honor for the 5th worst scoring offense in NFL last year. Mornhinweg was worse than Sparano last year with Nick Foles, who slightly outperformed Michael Vick. However, Mornhinweg finished the season with a success (top 10 in each points and yards) 5 1/2 times (half is for 2006 when Andy Reid gave up his play-playing duty to Mornhinweg for final 6 games). That is 1 and an half edge over the worst part (Mornhinweg suffered bad season 4 times).

Conclusively, I believe Jets should hire Cam Cameron, who takes OC duty for Les Miles in Baton Rogue, LA, because the familiar system may help Mark Sanchez get comfortable on the field. Sanchez broke down rapidly last year struggling to pick up Tony Sparano's system. I expect Mornhinweg will balance the offense to kick off 2013 season and numbers of thrown passes will gradually increase toward the end of the season as long as a quarterback and receivers are in harmony.

III. Defensive Coordinator
57 years old Dennis Thurman will make the debut in 2013. He has served under Rex Ryan since 2005. 8 years should be enough to handle the unit on his own. I don't have much sayings on him but for Ryan's sake, he needs to run the unit well enough letting Ryan to run the whole team.

IV. Darrelle Revis
A) Trade : At least 12m will count against Jets 2013 salary. Up to 6m will transfer to new team.
B) Pre June Cut : 18m against Jets 2013 salary if his base salary becomes fully guaranteed. (2nd day entering the new NFL cycle). 12m for cutting before the 2nd day.
C) June Cut : 9m against 2013 and another 9m against 2014.
D) Stay in 2013, sign with other team in 2014 : same as C.

Conclusively, I can see either A or D option if Jets presumably could not sign him to extension contract. Unfortunately, A option is the best plan Jets have on the table. The Revis situation is sticky but I would wait until the final week of April to trade him away. What's going on with Revis will be depending on free agency and trades.

V. Blocking Assignment
Marty Mornhinweg is a gap blocking avid because he likes to have fast and dynamic RB. However, he is flexible in that area in favor of Bilal Powell, who is an ideal for Zone runner. Mike Devlin is in the charge of OL for first time in NFL as a coach. Zone blocking requires a lot of practice to get together for better timing with RB and understanding and reacting on picking up blitz. Does Devlin know how to coach that way? I am uncertain right now.

Conclusively, Bilal Powell has done well as part time player in Tony Sparano's MBS offense last year so I go with MBS for Jets. However, Jets will need to find fast and strong RB to complement to Powell as I don't see the way Joe McKnight is in it. Still, Powell has to prove that he can catch football 50 times a season.

VI. Salary
124.4 million will be Jets' 2013 salary cap. Jets will have 19.4m over the cap to start the new cycle. I won't bother on an actual spend cap which is required to be at least 82 percentage of the 2013 salary cap, which is 102m. I don't think it will be a qualm, anyhow.

Arrow Release (36.16m Saving)

LB Bart Scott - 7.15m saving.
LB Calvin Pace - 8.56m saving.
OT Jason Smith - 12m saving.
DL Sione Pouha - 3.83m saving.
S Eric Smith - 3m saving.
QB Tim Tebow - 1.06m saving
FB/TE Josh Baker - .56m saving.

Arrow Re-Sign/Tender (6.78m Cap Hit)

OT Austin Howard - 1/.950k..........................//.95m Cap Hit.
TE Jeff Cumberland - 2/1.6m.........................//.7m Cap Hit.
LB Josh Mauga - .630k..................................// .63m Cap Hit.
G Brandon Moore - 2/9m..............................//4.5m Cap Hit.
He finished last year strong in MBS as it looks like his hip was full healthy. Give him 2 more seasons to hang up cleats.

Arrow Free Agency (6m Cap Hit)

QB Donovan McNabb - 1.5m.........................// 1.5m Cap Hit.
While it is a comical signing, I don't see any good option in free agency and trade to compete against Sanchez. McNabb is bred in WCO.

OL Geoff Schwartz - 2/3m............................//1m Cap Hit.
He is an ideal for strong side OL but he will get opportunity at LG or at RT with Howard at LG. He has done well on the field when he plays. He clearly is stronger and more athletic than Slauson. Schwartz had picked up WCO with Vikings last year.

DL Ricky Jean-Francois - 3/6m......................//1m Cap Hit.
After what happened to RT situation with Woody and Hunter, Jets can't let Ellis to be complacent at NT job. RJF and Ellis will compete for NT job. The loser will be an excellent back up role in all DL positions.

OLB Rob Jackson - 4/13m.............................//2.5m Cap Hit.
He may be a One Year Player but Jets need to find someone with 3-4 experience at OLB this instant. 4 sacks and 6 pass deflections as a reserve role for Redskins last year. Why not.

Arrow Restructure (9.37m Saving)

D'Brickashaw Ferguson (5.6m Saving)
The combination of 7.25m base salary and .75k workout will reduce to 1m base salary. The total of 1.4m pro-rated bonus, 1m base salary, 2.72 signing bonus is 5.12m which evidently counts against 2013 salary cap.

Nick Mangold (3.77m Saving)
The small pro-rated portion is made of 4.71m (3m Roster bonus and 1.71 base salary). Mangold's 5.35m counts against the 2013 salary cap.

Arrow Trade (4.88m Cap Hit)

1. WR Santonio Holmes for RB Montario Hardesty. (7.12m Saving)
Browns will be forcibly spending more in players to reach 82 percentage. Holmes is limited to outside WR in either Coryell or EP system and Browns switch the system from WCO with Norv Turner at the helm. They already have Richardson as a starting RB. Browns would draft new RB to spell Richardson out next 3 years as Hardesty will become UFA after 2013. Hardesty has done nothing for Browns but he still has tools to be solid RB.

This trade saves Jets 7.12m.. It is better than cutting Holmes and hoping for a team to sign him for whatever $$ that will substract from 2013 salary cap. Obviously, it won't happen in real life as I opted for ripping-off trade in order to improve the roster.

2. CB Darrelle Revis for 49ers' 1st Round and 3rd Round Picks with 2014's conditional 1st Round Pick. (12m Cap Hit)
49ers have plenty of draft picks to play with so why not spending several picks for the best rare cornerback. Heavily investment in Revis and neglection of other positions are not the way to retool Jets.

Jets would get 49ers' 2014 first round pick if Revis successfully signed with 49ers to new contract.

Arrow Starting Lineup

Offense-
QB: Sanchez vs McNabb.
RB: Powell vs Hardesty.
FB: Baker. (Prior to being released IRL)
TE: Cumberland.
LT: Ferguson.
LG: Schwartz.
C: Mangold.
RG: Moore.
RT: Howard
WR: Hill.
WR: Gates.
WR: Kerley.

Defense-
LE- Coples
NT- Jean-Francois vs Ellis.
RE- Wilkerson.
OLB- Jackson.
ILB- Harris
ILB- Davis.
OLB- McIntyre.
CB- Cromartie.
FS- Bush.
SS- Allen.
CB- Walls vs Wilson vs Lankster.

Special-
K-
P- Malone.
LS-

Arrow 2013 NFL Draft

1.9- WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee.
He could be next Terrell Owens or Brandon Marshall. I hope he has no problem absorbing offensive playbook. Otherwise, he is a major bust.

1.31- SS Jonathan Cyprien, Florida International.
This SOB keeps climbing up. He is projected as above average in run Support, range, man coverage and reading qb.

2.8- CB Logan Ryan, Rutgers.
Since Jets traded Revis away, drafting CB earlier is necessary as there is always a CB run in a draft. He is a local kid with high upside.

3.10- OLB Cornellius Carradine, Florida State.
2nd Round talent with knee injury. I don't know if he will be ready to dominate during his rookie season but he is part of the future plan as Jets have been in laughingstock when it comes to rushing OLB since losing John Abraham.

3.31- IOL Brian Schwenke, California.
Schwartz has yet to be proven as a starting caliber. Mangold's tear and wear is fading. Moore deals with age factor. Schwenke can step in one of those spots right away.

4.9- ILB A.J. Klein, Iowa State.
Scott is gone so it is either Klein taking it over or Harris taking his spot with Davis in. Klein and Davis in 2014 is a solid plan if Jets dump Harris to make room in the cap to get Matt Ryan as 2014 FA. Who knows. Klein is going to be ferociously popular for 3-4 teams.

5.8- TE Ryan Francis Griffin, Connecticut.
He offers a nasty blocking skill with apparently above average athleticism for pass plays. Eagles never touched TE until after 4th Round ,give or take, Mornhinweg can borrow that philosophy as Jets need to fill up holes with better talents than a premier TE.

6.10- QB Ryan Walsh Griffin, Tulane.
Back to back same name? LOL. Originally, I had Griffin, Rodgers and Radcliff as an UDFA sleeper but there was nasty windy during the Texas vs the Nation week and game? as Griffin performed like he was in the dome. That alone will make him draftable and edge over Rodgers and Radcliff.

7.9- WR T.J. Moe, Missouri.
He is a victim of qb problem but he runs solid routes. He may be good enough to push Hill down.

Arrow Undrafted Free Agency

OL Emmett Cleary, Boston College.
-Possibly has a shot to win RT job against Howard but he may start off the pro career as LG, RG and RT backup.

LS Carson Tinker, Alabama.
PK Brandon McManus, Temple.

-No need to explain the obvious.

OLB Eric Martin, Nebraska.
OLB Armonty Bryant, East Central.

-Just in case if McIntyre and Jackson could not do any jack in pass rushing department. Martin is small but not tedious. Bryant is prototypical OLB but was arrested for selling weeds during football practice.

SS Cody Davis, Texas Tech.
-Hard hitting SS with adequate range.

FS/CB Corey Broomfield, Mississippi State.
-I get feeling he will win FS job.

OT Elvis Fisher, Missouri.
-Just in case if Ferguson is down due to injury. Could play RT against small and speed pass rushers that big guys could not stop.

RB Akeem Shavers, Purdue.
-He is one of my hidden gems.

DE Jake McDonough, Iowa State.
-Depth at End.

Michael Zordich, Penn State
-Obvious Need.
Arrow Depth Chart

Offense-
QB: Sanchez, McNabb, Griffin.
RB: Powell, Hardesty, Shavers, McKnight.
FB: Zordich.
TE: Cumberland, Reuland, Griffin.
LT: Ferguson, Fisher.
LG: Schwartz, DuCasse.
C: Mangold, Schwenke.
RG: Moore.
RT: Howard, Cleary.
WR: Hill, Gates.
WR: Patterson.
WR: Kerley, Moe

Defense-
LE- Coples, McDonough.
NT- Jean-Francois, Ellis, Harrison.
RE- Wilkerson.
OLB- Jackson, Martin, Bryant.
ILB- Harris, Mauga.
ILB- Davis, Klein.
OLB- McIntyre, Carradine.
CB- Cromartie, Wilson.
FS- Broomfield, Bush.
SS- Cyprien, Allen, Davis.
CB- Logan, Walls, Lankster.

Special-
K- McManus.
P- Malone.
LS- Tinker.

Arrow Offense Concern

QB-
We still have Sanchez. McNabb hasn't play a football since 2011. Throwing Griffin into wolf pack usually means a future of a failure.

RB-
Powell and Hardesty are not starting calibers. Shavers could play his way up to number one. However, how heavy will be Jets as pass offense?

TE-
Success will depend on QB.

Arrow Defense Concern

Secondary-
Only Cromartie is a proven player. Hot and Cold will be expected. Hopefully, there will be more hot streak.

OLB-
Jets still lack of a premier pass rusher. Gamble on Jackson and McIntyre for better result than last year. Young pass rushers offer the possibility of resolving this problem in the future.

Arrow 2014 Draft Plan

I don't think we will need to figure out 2014 free agency but Matt Ryan and Jay Cutler are up for it if no contract extension. Jets would have 2 1st round picks with an assumption of 49ers getting Revis new contract so Jets are in good position to land a premier qb. Jets have few options to get it done.

***Trading both 1st round picks for "would be franchised" Cutler or Ryan.
***Cutting Sanchez and Harris will cover either Cutler or Ryan's new contract as a free agent.
***Moving up in the 1st round to get top qb.
***Sitting back and drafting whoever is available for qb job.

Hell, if Walsh Griffin played most of 2013 season and showed enough promising Jets would consider to count on him as a qb of the future, OLB class would be consist of Jackson Jeffcoat, James Gayle, Kareem Martin, Anthony Burr, and few unknown underclassmen.

The plan I dare to hope Jets would get Anthony Burr and Tajh Boyd in the first round.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that draft is a joke. We spend 1 pick on offense in the first and then exclusively address defense until we select a TE. No thank you.
quietjetsket

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
that draft is a joke. We spend 1 pick on offense in the first and then exclusively address defense until we select a TE. No thank you.

That is because Jets cleared out defense to meet the cap. Defense becomes problematic also.
sandwhich

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Just one more to create

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandwhich wrote:
Quote:

Just one more to create

lol.. we will have to pay rookie to change a rookie's last name legally.
RDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate Donovan Mcnabb in every way possible, keep the big names away. Also their is no way we get a 1st 3rd and conditional for revis. At this point we are hoping for just a 1st and 3rd. If theirs anyone I least believe will get traded, it would be Holmes. If he has a big year this year, he would be a very attractive commodity next year. Also if he doesnt pan out, you can cut him next year saving big money.

For me the best route for this team is to trade Cromartie. If you backload a Revis contract, you can make it work, as Sanchez and Holmes could possibly be off the books in 2014. Revis is 27 years old and as a corner back he has a lot more years left in him. He will recover from his injury but im okay with paying him 12-14 million a year. If you guarantee him a lot of the money on a 5 year deal, you can make it work. Something like a 5 year 76 million dollar deal with a lot of it guaranteed. I keep hearing 16 million 16 million, no you give him 12-14 and you will sign him.

Trading Cromartie or Revis makes trading Holmes worthless. Holmes is an impact player. We need to keep as many impact players as possible. Holmes is a guy that may benefit a lot from a move to a West Coast system. Also Holmes has little to no value right now off an injury. Even if we trade him, what does it do? Its not like we are going to go out get a free agent that can match the impact Holmes can make. Unless you you have the idea that trading Holmes will save us money to resign a Landry or Keller. In that case Cordarelle Patterson like you picked in the draft, is our favorite.

Im not the biggest fan of the draft though but i do I love Cordarelle Patterson and hes a no brainer for me as one of the best players in this draft. After that I dont really like where the draft goes. If you go Patterson at 1, and you get a 1 for Revis, drafting a safety isnt smart. Safety is extremely deep from rounds 2-4. Not to mention i think Cyprien has climbed but not to a 1st rounder. I would draft a guy like Mingo if he falls or Montegomery. OLB is a major need for this team and the depth at OLB falls after the first 6 guys are off the board. Logan Ryan is a good man to man and overall a good prospect but i think we have other needs there... like Quarterback or tight end. I love Schwenke, great value their and Carradine has upside so I would be fine with that but they wouldnt be my first choices.

1) Cordarelle Patterson WR
1 Late) Barkevious Mingo- i think he drops
2) Travis Kelce TE
3) Phillip Thomas S
3) Landry Jones QB
4) Tyrann Mathieu CB
5) Guard/RB

Your offense improves in a draft like this. Thats where i would go. Powell, Mcknight and a veteran in a West Coast can carry the load. We have seen the Packers sign no names and make it work. Dont expect the jets to draft a big name running back unless its late. Also Guards are the two necessities, I think we could bring back Moore or Slauson at a low price therefore, Giving Ducasse a lot of competition for the other spot should be fine. In my mind like Skrill has said before Guard is an easy position to fill. I think we could find value late in the draft there.

But good job putting the work into your mock. I obviously just have a different opinion.
quietjetsket

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDawg10 wrote:
I hate Donovan Mcnabb in every way possible, keep the big names away. Also their is no way we get a 1st 3rd and conditional for revis. At this point we are hoping for just a 1st and 3rd. If theirs anyone I least believe will get traded, it would be Holmes. If he has a big year this year, he would be a very attractive commodity next year. Also if he doesnt pan out, you can cut him next year saving big money.

For me the best route for this team is to trade Cromartie. If you backload a Revis contract, you can make it work, as Sanchez and Holmes could possibly be off the books in 2014. Revis is 27 years old and as a corner back he has a lot more years left in him. He will recover from his injury but im okay with paying him 12-14 million a year. If you guarantee him a lot of the money on a 5 year deal, you can make it work. Something like a 5 year 76 million dollar deal with a lot of it guaranteed. I keep hearing 16 million 16 million, no you give him 12-14 and you will sign him.

Trading Cromartie or Revis makes trading Holmes worthless. Holmes is an impact player. We need to keep as many impact players as possible. Holmes is a guy that may benefit a lot from a move to a West Coast system. Also Holmes has little to no value right now off an injury. Even if we trade him, what does it do? Its not like we are going to go out get a free agent that can match the impact Holmes can make. Unless you you have the idea that trading Holmes will save us money to resign a Landry or Keller. In that case Cordarelle Patterson like you picked in the draft, is our favorite.

Im not the biggest fan of the draft though but i do I love Cordarelle Patterson and hes a no brainer for me as one of the best players in this draft. After that I dont really like where the draft goes. If you go Patterson at 1, and you get a 1 for Revis, drafting a safety isnt smart. Safety is extremely deep from rounds 2-4. Not to mention i think Cyprien has climbed but not to a 1st rounder. I would draft a guy like Mingo if he falls or Montegomery. OLB is a major need for this team and the depth at OLB falls after the first 6 guys are off the board. Logan Ryan is a good man to man and overall a good prospect but i think we have other needs there... like Quarterback or tight end. I love Schwenke, great value their and Carradine has upside so I would be fine with that but they wouldnt be my first choices.

1) Cordarelle Patterson WR
1 Late) Barkevious Mingo- i think he drops
2) Travis Kelce TE
3) Phillip Thomas S
3) Landry Jones QB
4) Tyrann Mathieu CB
5) Guard/RB

Your offense improves in a draft like this. Thats where i would go. Powell, Mcknight and a veteran in a West Coast can carry the load. We have seen the Packers sign no names and make it work. Dont expect the jets to draft a big name running back unless its late. Also Guards are the two necessities, I think we could bring back Moore or Slauson at a low price therefore, Giving Ducasse a lot of competition for the other spot should be fine. In my mind like Skrill has said before Guard is an easy position to fill. I think we could find value late in the draft there.

But good job putting the work into your mock. I obviously just have a different opinion.

Holmes not fitting WCO system is kind of popular.

I don't think Revis accepts the backload contract as he has been whining about weak paychecks.

I can see Moore stay for 3m but not less than that. In my mock, there is no guarantee or signing bonus so I bump salary higher.

I only draft one OL because I focused on skill position as much as I could. Plus, I got us sign Schwartz, Moore and Howard.

TE separation is minimal as long as Mornhinweg is in charge.

I don't see how your draft is better than mine. Except for S part because I got SS not FS.
jimbo1904

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know where I go on this. I like WR in the first but not sure if there are any top 10 caliber. Drafting an OG at #9 is also pushing it, even though he is going to be an instant starter. Right now I think OLB is our best bet.
However, I really think we will draft BPA at our spot or trade down. I would LOVE to trade to 10-20 mark and pick up another pick. My ideal is trade with Cowboys and let them go after Millner or an OT. Then we get Warmack or any of the OLB that drop.
There's an issue with these drafts: if you dont have who other teams take infront of your picks, there is no legit way to judge. People are always going to say (me included) take this guy instead.
rampantjet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like some of it for sure, but are we getting Mcnabb as a play by play guy?
quietjetsket

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampantjet wrote:
I like some of it for sure, but are we getting Mcnabb as a play by play guy?

I hope not.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: