Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Loomis some diabolical genius at drafting?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Is Loomis some diabolical genius at drafting? Reply with quote

I mean, look how many times we've hit our picks. In every round! He's a genius.

Remembers back in 2010, when we had the 32nd pick, and everyone wanted the DE from Texas, Sergio Kindle? Instead we got Patrick Robinson? Well, google Sergio Kindle and go to his wikipedia page, compare that to P-Rob's career, and tell me how lucky we were. Sergio Kindle only got to play in one game (vs NYJ) in his entire career because of head injuries, and he only had 1 tackle. That's it! 3 years in the NFL, and his career is most likely over, while P-Rob has 120+ TKLS, 7 INT's. We got the better hand and Baltimore got the bust. (Ozzie isn't a genius! Aha! Laughing ) Loomis is a genius, and I think he'll make the right choice again this year. Cool And, the "right" choice is usually someone none of us expect.....

"We know we can be the best football team in this league."
- Sean Payton

Adopt a Saint
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan:
FLOODx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh we had a thread a couple months back about how disappointing our first round picks have been. It's depressing. We seem to be a better late round drafting team, and one of the best in the league at signing good UDFAs.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
Eh we had a thread a couple months back about how disappointing our first round picks have been. It's depressing. We seem to be a better late round drafting team, and one of the best in the league at signing good UDFAs.

It's better IMO, to strike gold in rounds 2-7, then round 1. That's 4-5 players to 1.

Will Smith- Had a great career until he aged. Understandable.
Reggie Bush- He was a big part of our 06' run, and was great at "position x" for Payton.
Robert Meachem- He was a solid reciever.
Sedrick Ellis- Ew.
Malcolm Jenkins- Prior to last year, he was great. i think he actually might succeed in a new scheme. Just didn't fit the zone.
Patrick Robinson- He looks a little lost at times, but he's turning into a star.
Cam Jordan- Best player on defense.
Mark Ingram- He started to show strides this year. needs to be in the right scheme IMO.
(3rd round but still our 1st pick) Akiem Hicks- GREAT! Really becoming a stud who makes OL look silly.

- Sean Payton

Adopt a Saint
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan:
FLOODx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

It's better IMO, to strike gold in rounds 2-7, then round 1. That's 4-5 players to 1.

Reggie Bush- He was a big part of our 06' run, and was great at "position x" for Payton.
Sedrick Ellis- Ew.
Malcolm Jenkins- Prior to last year, he was great. i think he actually might succeed in a new scheme. Just didn't fit the zone.
Patrick Robinson- He looks a little lost at times, but he's turning into a star.
Mark Ingram- He started to show strides this year. needs to be in the right scheme IMO.
(3rd round but still our 1st pick) Akiem Hicks- GREAT! Really becoming a stud who makes OL look silly.

Wouldn't say Smith had a great career, but he was good. I love Reggie, but he never lived up to being the second overall pick. Meachem wasn't anything special, and never played like a first rounder. Jenkins is still young, but he hasn't lived up to being the 14th selection so far. I love P Rob, I think with an improved pass rush he'll be a much better corner. Love Cam Jordan, as well. Never understood why we TRADED UP to get Ingram when he's just another back in our stable. We could've used a mid round pick or signed a veteran for that role. I like Ingram, but I hate the fact we gave up a first round pick for him.

Adopt-a-Saint
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

Sedrick Ellis- Ew.

Wouldn't say Smith had a great career, but he was good. I love Reggie, but he never lived up to being the second overall pick. Meachem wasn't anything special, and never played like a first rounder. Jenkins is still young, but he hasn't lived up to being the 14th selection so far. I love P Rob, I think with an improved pass rush he'll be a much better corner. Love Cam Jordan, as well. Never understood why we TRADED UP to get Ingram when he's just another back in our stable. We could've used a mid round pick or signed a veteran for that role. I like Ingram, but I hate the fact we gave up a first round pick for him.

I agree with you about giving up picks to get him. He may have even been there in the 2nd tbh.

- Sean Payton

Adopt a Saint
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan:
potus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

Sedrick Ellis- Ew.

+1. The knock on Robinson during the draft was that he was REALLY raw. I think he was the 4th CB taken but potential wise he was considered a freak. I think you're right about him being a star and that will show this next year or two.

Mickey has done fine for 1st rounders. You can't expect to hit on every 1st rounder and for Ellis to be his only real bust pick, that's not too bad. I'll take solid 1-7 rounds vs only hitting on the 1st.
FLOODx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

potus wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

Sedrick Ellis- Ew.

+1. The knock on Robinson during the draft was that he was REALLY raw. I think he was the 4th CB taken but potential wise he was considered a freak. I think you're right about him being a star and that will show this next year or two.

Mickey has done fine for 1st rounders. You can't expect to hit on every 1st rounder and for Ellis to be his only real bust pick, that's not too bad. I'll take solid 1-7 rounds vs only hitting on the 1st.

I agree, but I wouldn't say Loomis is considered a "diabolical genius" when it comes to the draft. Now, if we're talking handling the salary cap I'd consider him a genius.

Adopt-a-Saint
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Loomis some diabolical genius at drafting? Reply with quote

Not so sure... Yes, Mickey and Sean hit on some players but also missed on many others. Mickey a genius with the cap, YES... at having an eye for talent, adverage to above adverage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
spanky3801

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loomis has been great, but don't act like he's been perfect. There have been some good:
-Colston
-Nicks
-J. Evans
-Jimmy Graham

But there have been bads :
-Antonio Pittman
-Matt Tennett
-Al Woods
-Sed Ellis
-Malcolm Jenkins (instead of Brian Cushing or Clay Matthews)
-Mark Ingram (jury is still out, but Stevan Dudley went in the 3rd and has has better production).

Make no mistake. I love Loomis, but diabolical is a bit much.
spanky3801

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loomis has been great, but don't act like he's been perfect. There have been some good:
-Colston
-Nicks
-J. Evans
-Jimmy Graham

-Antonio Pittman
-Matt Tennett
-Al Woods
-Sed Ellis
-Mark Ingram (jury is still out, but Stevan Ridley went in the 3rd and has has better production).

QB Connoisseur

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This coming the day after we release Johnny Patrick...

He does very well, don't get me wrong, but he's not perfect by any means; no one is.
101stSaintsFan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanky3801 wrote:
-Colston
-Nicks
-J. Evans
-Jimmy Graham

-Antonio Pittman
-Matt Tennett
-Al Woods
-Sed Ellis
-Mark Ingram (jury is still out, but Stevan Ridley went in the 3rd and has has better production).

Cushing? why? Everybody and their mamma was in love with Vilma in 2009 so it wouldn't have made ANY sense for us to select Cushing. MAtthews on the other hand, yes, I agree that passing on him was a huge mistake.

2014 Adopt a Saint:

Khiry Robinson

Keenan Lewis
Harper41

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

101stSaintsFan wrote:
spanky3801 wrote:
-Colston
-Nicks
-J. Evans
-Jimmy Graham

-Antonio Pittman
-Matt Tennett
-Al Woods
-Sed Ellis

Cushing? why? Everybody and their mamma was in love with Vilma in 2009 so it wouldn't have made ANY sense for us to select Cushing. MAtthews on the other hand, yes, I agree that passing on him was a huge mistake.

Brian Cushing was a SLB in a 4-3.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Porter22

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
101stSaintsFan wrote:
spanky3801 wrote:
-Colston
-Nicks
-J. Evans
-Jimmy Graham

-Antonio Pittman
-Matt Tennett
-Al Woods
-Sed Ellis

Brian Cushing was a SLB in a 4-3.
Yeah and our OLBs were Fujita and Shanle IRC...
Injured Reserve: WR Joe Morgan
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "diabolical genius" wouldn't miss on so many 1st round picks, simple as that.

I don't care if he hits on late rounders, the fact that so many of our 1st rounders flop shows me he's no genius when it comes to drafting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: