Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brandon Weeden comparisons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BocaRatonBrown1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Brandon Weeden comparisons Reply with quote

Read this article & then compare stats fairly to the other top 10 QB rookie seasons. Tell me where you would rate Brandon Weeden & if this helps improve the way you value him.

http://www.realclearsports.com/lists/rookie_qbs/rick_mirer_1993.html?state=stop

I been saying it along he had a very solid rookie season. His stats rookie season were not just good but all time top 10.....

#1 Dan Marino*
#2 Ben Rothlisberger
#3 RG3*
#4 Russel Wilson
#5 Andrew Luck*
#6 Peyton Manning*
#7 Sam Bradford*
#8 Cam Newton*
#9 Matt Ryan*
#10 Brandon Weeden

Considering all the above and where we drafted him at #22 I know the glass is half full...

* denotes HOF or #1-#2 pick blue chip franchise QB...

Also out of every single QB listed only Russel Wilson & Dan Marino were drafted later...

If Brandon Weeden starts all 16 games I am predicting 4,000 yards 60% completion & 30/15 TD/INT ratio with a 85% passer.
zelbell

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Planet Earth
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Brandon Weeden comparisons Reply with quote

BocaRatonBrown1 wrote:
Read this article & then compare stats fairly to the other top 10 QB rookie seasons. Tell me where you would rate Brandon Weeden & if this helps improve the way you value him.

http://www.realclearsports.com/lists/rookie_qbs/rick_mirer_1993.html?state=stop

I been saying it along he had a very solid rookie season. His stats rookie season were not just good but all time top 10.....

#1 Dan Marino*
#2 Ben Rothlisberger
#3 RG3*
#4 Russel Wilson
#5 Andrew Luck*
#6 Peyton Manning*
#7 Sam Bradford*
#8 Cam Newton*
#9 Matt Ryan*
#10 Brandon Weeden

Considering all the above and where we drafted him at #22 I know the glass is half full...

* denotes HOF or #1-#2 pick blue chip franchise QB...

Also out of every single QB listed only Russel Wilson & Dan Marino were drafted later...

If Brandon Weeden starts all 16 games I am predicting 4,000 yards 60% completion & 30/15 TD/INT ratio with a 85% passer.

if he starts next year i can see around 3700 yards, 22 tds, 15 INTs, and a 60ish% completion

makes better decisions, better suited system, less batted balls, about same INTs but we'll see better decisions out of him
NewWorldOrder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with Manning at 6...he does hold the record for most INTs thrown by a rookie QB...for whatever reason, Weeden reminds me of Jeff George..definitely not a hot head like George, but both have cannon arms. Both threw head scratching INTs. I hope Browns stick with him for one more year, but pick up someone like Dysert in the late rounds.
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewWorldOrder wrote:
I disagree with Manning at 6...he does hold the record for most INTs thrown by a rookie QB...for whatever reason, Weeden reminds me of Jeff George..definitely not a hot head like George, but both have cannon arms. Both threw head scratching INTs. I hope Browns stick with him for one more year, but pick up someone like Dysert in the late rounds.

I like Weeden's arm, but he could only dream of having Jeff George's arm. But then, Peyton Manning could only dream of having his arm. Unfortunately for George, I don't think he cared that much and he didn't seem like a student of the game.

It's tricky making rookie QB comparisons because for every good/bad example there is an equally fair opposite example. It is fun though, so I'm not saying we shouldn't do it, it's more of a hypothesis than proof.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is most of these guys have been drafted very recently. It's an indication the game is changing. He's got to be graded relative to these guys not how it looks historically.

Pre draft I thought he reminded me of Jason Campbell. He still does.

Pre-Draft 2013 Mock *FULL DRAFT* http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=521213&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
NewWorldOrder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough...I would like to see what weeden can do in chud's/turner's offense. I'm not opposed to bringing in someone to compete for the starting job. IMO though, I do believe weeden will do significantly better for three reasons
1) He has one year under his belt. He can focus more on certain areas..going through reads, picking up more things opposing defenses will throw at him,
2) Our receivers have more experience and also one year working with weeden. They should be more in sync with each other.
3) The new offense should be more suited to his strengths.

If he doesn't improve this year, obviously, we will need a QB in 2014. I'm not saying weeden is the next joe Montana, but if he has a QB rating of 90 or more, it takes a lot of pressure off of our FO, and lets us be more selective in addressing the QB situation for a few years. We won't have to jump the gun in free agency (Dilfer, Garcia) or overdraft a qb(Quinn).
HADEN4PREZIDENT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Weeden 2013 stats if he starts and gets another good WR/TE

3900 yds 26 TDs 14 INTs 64% comp

^^^Jamison^^^
bruceb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewWorldOrder wrote:
Fair enough...I would like to see what weeden can do in chud's/turner's offense. I'm not opposed to bringing in someone to compete for the starting job. IMO though, I do believe weeden will do significantly better for three reasons
1) He has one year under his belt. He can focus more on certain areas..going through reads, picking up more things opposing defenses will throw at him,
2) Our receivers have more experience and also one year working with weeden. They should be more in sync with each other.

If he doesn't improve this year, obviously, we will need a QB in 2014. I'm not saying weeden is the next joe Montana, but if he has a QB rating of 90 or more, it takes a lot of pressure off of our FO, and lets us be more selective in addressing the QB situation for a few years. We won't have to jump the gun in free agency (Dilfer, Garcia) or overdraft a qb(Quinn).

For all the reasons you listed he should indeed be much better.

Personally, I don't think he will be.

I am not even sure he will come out on top in any QB competition because his problems are between his ears.

Weeden, imho, will sink to the occasion.
StewieRules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the numbers, it appears the problem of Bruce's eval of Weeden is between Bruce's ears Laughing

Seriously though - for the vertical game, with a year under him and given his college experience in a no-huddle fast attack, I do expect more consistency and better numbers. Few rookies just step in and light it up, but he clearly showed enough promise to warrant another year in a system that will highlight his strengths.

If he struggles again - then 2014 we let the search begin. Again.
Entropy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
NewWorldOrder wrote:

I am not even sure he will come out on top in any QB competition because his problems are between his ears.

I will say this bruce, I don't think he has as much of a problem between the ears as you do, but if I'm wrong and you're right, THAT will be the reason he doesn't succeed.

How about that for a compromise?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
bruceb wrote:
NewWorldOrder wrote:

I will say this bruce, I don't think he has as much of a problem between the ears as you do, but if I'm wrong and you're right, THAT will be the reason he doesn't succeed.

How about that for a compromise?

That's fair.
toneloke23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you guys watching any games last year... Weeden sucked. He lost us games we should have won.

Weeden comparisons:
1) Dog [inappropriate/removed]
2) Cat [inappropriate/removed]
3) Interceptions
4) Ineptitude
5) My grandma

Thats it guys.. the dude sux!!!
StewieRules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, posters disagree sometimes - Bruce and I on Weeden for example - and that's fine. We're all fans, we love our team and we want them to do well. Nothing wrong with that. But I've never actually physically felt my IQ drop like just did reading toneloke23's um ... Lets he generous and call it a response.
The good news is we now know what name Lombardi is using on this site Wink
theJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Brandon Weeden comparisons Reply with quote

BocaRatonBrown1 wrote:

#1 Dan Marino*
#2 Ben Rothlisberger
#3 RG3*
#4 Russel Wilson
#5 Andrew Luck*
#6 Peyton Manning*
#7 Sam Bradford*
#8 Cam Newton*
#9 Matt Ryan*
#10 Brandon Weeden

I'm going to go full homer here, but if you're just going off stats, why exactly would Weeden be above Andy Dalton? Even Colin Kaepernick, who in half the games threw 10 TD's to just 3 INT's (though his omission i think is fair i guess).

Anywho, i just came in here because i saw the news on Weeden. I think it's a mistake if the new coaching moves on from him after one season. I know he's not young, but he showed promise after that terrible first game. No way would i draft someone this year and not even start Weeden.

But i guess we'll just have to wait and find out what happens.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Entropy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Brandon Weeden comparisons Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
BocaRatonBrown1 wrote:

#1 Dan Marino*
#2 Ben Rothlisberger
#3 RG3*
#4 Russel Wilson
#5 Andrew Luck*
#6 Peyton Manning*
#7 Sam Bradford*
#8 Cam Newton*
#9 Matt Ryan*
#10 Brandon Weeden

I'm going to go full homer here, but if you're just going off stats, why exactly would Weeden be above Andy Dalton? Even Colin Kaepernick, who in half the games threw 10 TD's to just 3 INT's (though his omission i think is fair i guess).

Anywho, i just came in here because i saw the news on Weeden. I think it's a mistake if the new coaching moves on from him after one season. I know he's not young, but he showed promise after that terrible first game. No way would i draft someone this year and not even start Weeden.

But i guess we'll just have to wait and find out what happens.

Personally, I wouldn't put Weeden's rookie year above Dalton's. Dalton played on a better team.

Also, I don't think the OP intended for his list to be an all-inclusive ranking of rookie QBs. I think he just wanted to compare the rookie years several QB's that are generally believed to be good to Weeden.

I think Weeden compares fairly well to Dalton in the sense that both QBs had their good moments and bad, just like the rest on that list. It seems, however, that many tend to focus more on the bad when the team record isn't favorable. Many even do the opposite and focus more on the good when the team record takes them to a playoff game.

The real issue, in my opinion, is these unfounded beliefs that QBs have some magical ability to do the following:

-turn all bad players into good ones
-transform all inexperienced players into experienced players
-force receivers to get open
-never or rarely miss an open receiver
-win games consistently despite poor defensive play
-win games consistently despite a poor running game
-win games consistently despite inexperienced receivers
-win games consistently despite not being the person who catches passes, rushes, blocks, plays defense, kicks, designs plays, runs routes, calls plays, or tackles
-master a complex offense as a rookie

And inevitably someone points out a QB that may have actually appeared to do some of these things as proof that every QB should be able to do all of them. "Hey if you take this conglomerate of these 10 QBs, you'll easily see that QBs are the most responsible for most wins even though my logic is severely flawed" Laughing

It's like talking about evolution to people that think it's a theory. "I don't believe in air since some guy said it comes from cement cabbages"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: