Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Freeney?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpoonFed56

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Freeney? Reply with quote

ok so the Colts are releasing Dwight Freeney, what do you guys think about pairing him opposite Abe, then drafting someone like Okafor in the first and an DT like Gaethers later on in the Draft. our D Line would be 100x better if we did this.... we would be deep and have a nice rotation (smitty has always been about heavy rotation). Think about this - Abe/Freeney/Okafor/Biermann/Babineaux/Peters/Gaethers - that would be a solid D line. Thoughts?
devils1854

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he signs for the vet minimum or close to it, then yes. If not, no. Dont need more players that are close to over the hill.

#JDI

Chuckie Keeton, 2014 Heisman Campaign
SpoonFed56

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devils1854 wrote:
If he signs for the vet minimum or close to it, then yes. If not, no. Dont need more players that are close to over the hill.

i agree im not saying give him some huge contract, but he could step in and still produce, not to mention him and Abe could mentor our rookie DE that we hopefully* draft in the first. almost anything is better than what we had this past season...
tech2186

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We cant try to keep putting band-aids over this massive leak and think its ngoing to solve the leak. No more old DE's. We need to get younger and take some chances on the DE's in the draft. Develop out own guys because we have yet to do that since TD has been here.

ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
JonnyQuest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Freeney. Sign him to a deal somewhat cheaper than Abe's and draft a DE or two in the draft as well. We need immediate impact at the LOS, and Freeney can give us that for a couple more years.

Not a band-aid if we use him as a stop gap until our draft picks develop. Not to mention our rookies would be learning from a future HOFer.

Falcons. O's. Wizards. Caps.
SpoonFed56

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonnyQuest wrote:
I want Freeney. Sign him to a deal somewhat cheaper than Abe's and draft a DE or two in the draft as well. We need immediate impact at the LOS, and Freeney can give us that for a couple more years.

Not a band-aid if we use him as a stop gap until our draft picks develop. Not to mention our rookies would be learning from a future HOFer.

Exactly what I am saying. Just because we sign Freeney, doesn't mean we will not take another pass rusher (or even 2) in the draft. Abe and Freeney could mentor our young guys and we could have a nice rotation
GrimeyKid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpoonFed56 wrote:
JonnyQuest wrote:

Exactly what I am saying. Just because we sign Freeney, doesn't mean we will not take another pass rusher (or even 2) in the draft. Abe and Freeney could mentor our young guys and we could have a nice rotation

A good rotation sounds nice. i hope we attain a rotation at rb as well

2012 Adopt-A-Falcon

Jacquizz Rodgers #32
tech2186

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonnyQuest wrote:

But isn't Abe already feeling that role?? We have tried stop gaps for years. The problem is we never let the young guys develop because they dont get any playing time. Freeney isn't gonna sign a vet min deal. Some other team will pay him. And I hope it's not the Falcons

devils1854

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
JonnyQuest wrote:

But isn't Abe already feeling that role?? We have tried stop gaps for years. The problem is we never let the young guys develop because they dont get any playing time. Freeney isn't gonna sign a vet min deal. Some other team will pay him. And I hope it's not the Falcons

Agreed 100%. If a rookie is going to develop, he has to play. If we bring in Freeney, then he will rotate with Abe and Biermann, and lets not forget when Nolan goes big and puts someone like Babs at end. The rookie would get no time.

#JDI

Chuckie Keeton, 2014 Heisman Campaign
GrimeyKid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read one of roddy white's tweets he says he would love to see freeney in a falcons jersey

2012 Adopt-A-Falcon

Jacquizz Rodgers #32
Robust Perry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one's saying to sign him to a bad deal. I think that if we can get him for vet minimum or very close to it for only 1 year (2 max with options that won't hurt us if we have to cut him) I'm all for it. He'd be a great mentor and I'd love for him to teach that spin move to our young guys. I'm sure he wants to play for a contender so we have a legitimate shot... even though news is that Peyton wants him to join the Broncos.

Draft a DE in the first, a physically gifted project DE in the 5-7, and add Freeney to our current set of guys. Doesn't seem too bad to me (most importantly at the right price though). A change of scenery sometimes livens up veterans to a productive year.
JonnyQuest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
JonnyQuest wrote:

No Abe is not filling that role. How have we tried stop gaps for years? Who has been our stop gaps? We have had Abe starting forever, Jamaal Anderson starting for a couple years, then Kroy kind of stepped up (rotations). Ray Edwards was not meant to be a stop gap. He was supposed to be a key cog in our defense for years, and relieve us of our need at DE.

What young guys really deserved that much playing time? We never even drafted an impact DE. Sidbury was a huge project, and his success rate was already extremely low to begin with. He would NOT have gotten better with more playing time. I mean, we had a terrible pass rush. If he could've played he would've. Even Cliff Matthews got some time. Sidbury sucked and was put in Nolan's dog house.

Freeney played in a scheme which did not suit him well at all. He can have a nice bounce back year in the 4-3. Pass rush rotations is the name of the game. Rookies will have ample opportunities even with Freeney on board to get precious experience on the field.

Falcons. O's. Wizards. Caps.
birdman70

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonnyQuest wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
JonnyQuest wrote:

No Abe is not filling that role. How have we tried stop gaps for years? Who has been our stop gaps? We have had Abe starting forever, Jamaal Anderson starting for a couple years, then Kroy kind of stepped up (rotations). Ray Edwards was not meant to be a stop gap. He was supposed to be a key cog in our defense for years, and relieve us of our need at DE.

What young guys really deserved that much playing time? We never even drafted an impact DE. Sidbury was a huge project, and his success rate was already extremely low to begin with. He would NOT have gotten better with more playing time. I mean, we had a terrible pass rush. If he could've played he would've. Even Cliff Matthews got some time. Sidbury sucked and was put in Nolan's dog house.

Freeney played in a scheme which did not suit him well at all. He can have a nice bounce back year in the 4-3. Pass rush rotations is the name of the game. Rookies will have ample opportunities even with Freeney on board to get precious experience on the field.

Took the words out of my mouth. Our DE rookies for the last several years have been late round picks. That really hasn't worked out.
tech2186

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonnyQuest wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
JonnyQuest wrote:

Anderson was not a TD pick so he really shouldn't factor in this discussion; however, we all know that Mike Smith and company don't really play rookies unless they have to. And the few who have started early in the season were first round picks like Spoon and Jerry. Players like Moore, Konz, Decoud, Kroy...etc did not start until necessary. So to say that these late pick DE's weren't capable of developing is not necessarily true. They never truly got a shot because We only went with older DE's like Chauncey Davis, Anderson, Edwards and Abe. Kroy was the only DE that was developed properly.

But if a DE isn't drafted early I don't see him getting enough time to develop properly. With a guy like Freeney, who is on a massive decline, it will stunt that development of a young DE. I think the Falcons have to double dip at DE in the draft. Or go in FA and get aDE and draft one early (1st or 2nd round). And I'd prefer a younger DE like Kruger or Johnson. Freeney isn't gonna help you against the run and you would be lucky if he gave you five plus sacks. Just isn't worth it to me.

GrimeyKid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
JonnyQuest wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
JonnyQuest wrote:

Anderson was not a TD pick so he really shouldn't factor in this discussion; however, we all know that Mike Smith and company don't really play rookies unless they have to. And the few who have started early in the season were first round picks like Spoon and Jerry. Players like Moore, Konz, Decoud, Kroy...etc did not start until necessary. So to say that these late pick DE's weren't capable of developing is not necessarily true. They never truly got a shot because We only went with older DE's like Chauncey Davis, Anderson, Edwards and Abe. Kroy was the only DE that was developed properly.

But if a DE isn't drafted early I don't see him getting enough time to develop properly. With a guy like Freeney, who is on a massive decline, it will stunt that development of a young DE. I think the Falcons have to double dip at DE in the draft. Or go in FA and get aDE and draft one early (1st or 2nd round). And I'd prefer a younger DE like Kruger or Johnson. Freeney isn't gonna help you against the run and you would be lucky if he gave you five plus sacks. Just isn't worth it to me.

None of those players you mentioned were drafted in the first round.

2012 Adopt-A-Falcon

Jacquizz Rodgers #32

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: