Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lauren Silberman 1st Female to take part in Regional Combine
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sportskid_021

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Lauren Silberman 1st Female to take part in Regional Combine Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000140423/article/female-will-compete-at-regional-combine-for-first-time?campaign=Twitter_atl_rosenthal

Quote:
The NFL debuted its regional scouting combine concept back in 2011. Ten cities this year hold a regional combine from January to March, with the best players going to a super-regional in Dallas in April.

The March 2-3 New Jersey regional will mark a first in the regional combine process: A female player will compete.

Lauren Silberman of New York City will participate as a kicker. A club soccer player at Wisconsin, Silberman has taken a different path than your average college kicker. She wrote a Master's thesis at MIT about how athletes use video games to enhance their own performance. She then founded a consulting company Double Play that helps athletes use video games for virtual training purposes.

Here is a quote from her...

Quote:
"I was not aware that I was the first female registrant," Silberman told NFL.com on Tuesday. "I was actually hoping that the 2012 historical milestone rule, to allow women to play, would prompt more women to attend tryouts this year. But for me, what's important is to finally have a chance to fulfill my dreams by trying out to play in the world's most competitive football league."

I think especially at 28 it doesn't really sound like she's going to make it however, give it a few years and maybe a viable female kicker may come up for grabs. No pun intended.

"There's only one Tree Hill, and it's your home." ~ 2003-2012
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for her... but would any rules be changed? Kickers don't usually face contact, but sometimes on blown plays / big returns find themselves in the thick of it.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've let those European soccer players in for years now, so I'm sure she'd do fine.
minutemancl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for women in the sport. If they can hold their own, in this case, kick very well, why not give her a chance on a roster? She sounds extremely intelligent as well.

Age shouldn't be an issue. Kickers last forever anyway. Interested to see how she does.

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else having flashbacks to Kathy Ireland in Necessary Roughness?

This makes me want to call my mom and get hold of Peter Tuiasosopo ("Manumana the Slender") who she used to work with at McDonnell-Douglas when he was a union steward.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Anyone else having flashbacks to Kathy Ireland in Necessary Roughness?

This makes me want to call my mom and get hold of Peter Tuiasosopo ("Manumana the Slender") who she used to work with at McDonnell-Douglas when he was a union steward.

A google image search of Lauren Silberman returned this:

Laughing
49erjunkie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldnt be worse than Akers. Good for her.

Walter Redskins on the sig.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is she gonna be officially listed with all the prospects in the results? Or is this just a purely ceremonial thing?

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if she can kick a goal from 50+ yards? If she cant this goes no where. If she can who knows.

But what happens when a Kick return man breaks clear and she has to make a tackle?

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin
Pierre Desir
AlexM23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
They've let those European soccer players in for years now, so I'm sure she'd do fine.

Yeahhhh true. They've also let those sissy football players in helmets and padding loose too.

Kiltman on the sig
minutemancl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:
Anyone know if she can kick a goal from 50+ yards? If she cant this goes no where. If she can who knows.

But what happens when a Kick return man breaks clear and she has to make a tackle?

She whiffs like 90% of the kickers in the league. So what?

SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I coached youth football - we had a squad one year where our best defensive player was a girl - with a helmet on she was just a beast of a linebacker and nobody seemed to care. This was a 11-14yr old league. When she was old enough to go to high school - they said the rules prohibited her from playing High School ball. She protested it and took it to the school board and everything but nothing came of it and I don't think she ever played again. It was a shame - she really loved the game and was a pleasure to coach. I think she ended up playing field hockey and rugby so she had a reason to hit people but I don't think she enjoyed it as much.

My point is - I think girls should be encouraged to play football if they want to, just like I think boys shouldn't be deterred from doing things traditionally classified as "feminine" if that's what they choose to do. Notwithstanding, I don't think we're close to having a female in the NFL and a more viable option would be to slowly build up the female presence from pop-warner onward and hopefully one day have a viable women's league (NOT Lingerie Football League). It will take forever and may never be as popular but I think it's a more viable option than making the NFL co-ed.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
Kikuchiyo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49erjunkie wrote:
Couldnt be worse than Akers. Good for her.

Ugh... Beat me to it.

A Big Thanks To PatsDynasty21
minutemancl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwiftTexan wrote:
When I coached youth football - we had a squad one year where our best defensive player was a girl - with a helmet on she was just a beast of a linebacker and nobody seemed to care. This was a 11-14yr old league. When she was old enough to go to high school - they said the rules prohibited her from playing High School ball. She protested it and took it to the school board and everything but nothing came of it and I don't think she ever played again. It was a shame - she really loved the game and was a pleasure to coach. I think she ended up playing field hockey and rugby so she had a reason to hit people but I don't think she enjoyed it as much.

My point is - I think girls should be encouraged to play football if they want to, just like I think boys shouldn't be deterred from doing things traditionally classified as "feminine" if that's what they choose to do. Notwithstanding, I don't think we're close to having a female in the NFL and a more viable option would be to slowly build up the female presence from pop-warner onward and hopefully one day have a viable women's league (NOT Lingerie Football League). It will take forever and may never be as popular but I think it's a more viable option than making the NFL co-ed.

I think having women in the NFL may actually be viable. The only thing is, due to physical limitations, obviously they couldn't play certain positions. But I could absolutely see a woman be a fantastic kicker in the NFL.

A female friend of mine from high school that was a fantastic soccer player was part of powder puff her junior year. Had never kicked a football before. Was told how to and was nailing 50 yard field goals within 2 days. Actually met David Akers and showed him the video of her doing so Laughing

Malik

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cool. But until women can play high school or college football it's not really going to happen outside of specialty stuff like kickers, punters, and maybe KR/PR.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: