Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dan Marino article (worth a read)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Dan Marino article (worth a read) Reply with quote

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/lack_of_super_bowl_may_help_dan_marinos_case_as_goat/12950392

Says

Quote:
This point will open your eyes to something that the Marino detractors conveniently tuck away when it comes to his career. He never had a pro bowl caliber running back.

Not once.

Never.

What do you think??

Adopt a Phins 2014, 1st Pick Ryan Tannehill
Tannehill (2014 Season stats Week-6)
60.8% CMP - 1133 yards -8 TD's - 5 INT's - 81.2 Rat
Jaytotha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miami was always a pass first team and while that works you have to have a running game to compliment it.

Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admittedly, Jimmy tried to give him a running game. So much so that Marino still holds the record for most comeback wins after the running game sucked it up for 3 quarters. Ricky Williams was the most talented back we as a franchise have ever had and he had like what, one good season?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaterBear56 wrote:
Admittedly, Jimmy tried to give him a running game. So much so that Marino still holds the record for most comeback wins after the running game sucked it up for 3 quarters. Ricky Williams was the most talented back we as a franchise have ever had and he had like what, one good season?

Dave whineystat- ran him to death that year...

Adopt a Phins 2014, 1st Pick Ryan Tannehill
Tannehill (2014 Season stats Week-6)
60.8% CMP - 1133 yards -8 TD's - 5 INT's - 81.2 Rat
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is ashame that Marino is still relevant to this franchise as they are without a franchise QB. Marino is among the greats. Part of what made him great was that he did not have a pro bowl RB.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We complain about the front offense and their inability to put talent on this team, but looking back at the Marino/Shula era I'm starting to see that this problem is a hell of a lot older then this current crop of decision makers. They tend to have enough talent to be competitively mediocre, but never bad enough or good enough to get top level talent or go deep in the play-offs. This is a 25+ year issue....Marino gave the team hope....the late 90's D gave the appearance of the team having a chance, but it has been since the early 80's that this team was Super-Bowl caliber. As a fan, I try to be optimistic about the current regime, I have hope that Philbin and Ireland have a plan to bring the Lombardi back to Miami, but unless they are going to infuse this team with talent we may be looking at even more years as being just good enough not to be great.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
We complain about the front offense and their inability to put talent on this team, but looking back at the Marino/Shula era I'm starting to see that this problem is a hell of a lot older then this current crop of decision makers. They tend to have enough talent to be competitively mediocre, but never bad enough or good enough to get top level talent or go deep in the play-offs. This is a 25+ year issue....Marino gave the team hope....the late 90's D gave the appearance of the team having a chance, but it has been since the early 80's that this team was Super-Bowl caliber. As a fan, I try to be optimistic about the current regime, I have hope that Philbin and Ireland have a plan to bring the Lombardi back to Miami, but unless they are going to infuse this team with talent we may be looking at even more years as being just good enough not to be great.

You touch on an issue I have been vocal about. The only way to get better in the league is to have a franchise Qb. Some teams get lucky, like the Steelers. But what we do know is being mediocre will ensure you remain mediocre. You have to be bad to get better.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

You touch on an issue I have been vocal about. The only way to get better in the league is to have a franchise Qb. Some teams get lucky, like the Steelers. But what we do know is being mediocre will ensure you remain mediocre. You have to be bad to get better.

Not that I disagree with anything said in these quotes but I think simple plain luck plays a role also such as, no major injuries, cap friendly team (at least for the current year), teammates playing better, draft choices clicking, critical calls or no calls going your way, good karma, no deadly asteroid strike. Today it seems more like everything falling into place for that one instant that gets you to the Super Bowl, it may also explain the lack of the defending champion repeating in the current state of the NFL

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 6, Tackles 7 Assists 2 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 7 : Death 24 Joe 21
cddolphin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the two guys in charge of the offense, Philbin and Sherman, both are WCO guys which is a "pass first" offense. So this team will not rely heavily on any one particular RB, which is why Bush will probably be with another team next season (good luck to him).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: