Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bart Scott

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Bart Scott Reply with quote

Any interest in him?

he has been a good 3-4 inside linebacker, but he is getting older, also not sure how much money he is gonna work

might be an option though
jch1911

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bart Scott Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
Any interest in him?

he has been a good 3-4 inside linebacker, but he is getting older, also not sure how much money he is gonna work

I was thinking the same, but we brought in Bradie James and that ended up biting us in the tuckus. I think the team will shy away from veterans who are TOO veterany! LMAO

I would like to add him because I think he and the Ninja Assassin would give our defense some attitude.
biggio7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Not at all would I want the Texans to sign him. He is a play for myself first player. Too outspoken and causes media issues. Maybe he would be better away from New York but I'm not a fan of his attitude in the locker room and with teammates. I just don't think it would be a good fit.

Adopt a Texan: Mr. Kareem Jackson
FFBB; Suule o nerte!
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind him, but I know for a fact he isn't going to take a low ball offer. He is the type of player who still thinks he can get paid at age 32, but undoubtedly he would give our defense even more swagger along with Ninja Smith and JJ Watt.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bart Scott Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
Any interest in him?

I was thinking the same, but we brought in Bradie James and that ended up biting us in the tuckus. I think the team will shy away from veterans who are TOO veterany! LMAO

I would like to add him because I think he and the Ninja Assassin would give our defense some attitude.

How in the world did Bradie James bite us? We paid a guy $890,000 who had logged 142 pro starts in our defensive scheme at ILB who then started 15 more games for us and was about the only stable force for us at ILB. He's not Brian Cushing, but that wasn't his job. We had the 4th best run defense in the AFC and Bradie James was a big part of that, folks. Wanna trade that for Philly's 23 rated run defense with DeMeco Ryans and the $6.5-$7 million annual cap hits he will bring thru 2016. Just for reference, his 77 tackles was more than Mario Williams made in his final 3 years combined as a Texan (is a sack every other game really worth $19 million MORE per season in salary?). It was a smart low cost veteran signing and I'd gladly have him back as veteran depth again in 2013.

I swear Texan fans have got to get over their disdain for free agents who made their names elsewhere and players over 30. Bradie was no superstar, but he contributed more last year than Sharpton has in his 3 years. He got paid HALF of what Rashad Butler did to lounge in the IR resort.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
jch1911

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bart Scott Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
jch1911 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
Any interest in him?

How in the world did Bradie James bite us? We paid a guy $890,000 who had logged 142 pro starts in our defensive scheme at ILB who then started 15 more games for us and was about the only stable force for us at ILB. He's not Brian Cushing, but that wasn't his job. We had the 4th best run defense in the AFC and Bradie James was a big part of that, folks. Wanna trade that for Philly's 23 rated run defense with DeMeco Ryans and the $6.5-$7 million annual cap hits he will bring thru 2016. Just for reference, his 77 tackles was more than Mario Williams made in his final 3 years combined as a Texan (is a sack every other game really worth $19 million MORE per season in salary?). It was a smart low cost veteran signing and I'd gladly have him back as veteran depth again in 2013.

I swear Texan fans have got to get over their disdain for free agents who made their names elsewhere and players over 30. Bradie was no superstar, but he contributed more last year than Sharpton has in his 3 years. He got paid HALF of what Rashad Butler did to lounge in the IR resort.

Not sure if ANYONE on our team would have been able to cover TE / slot WR's / RB's out of the backfield... but if you didn't see Bradie James getting beat on 3rd conversions, you weren't looking and he was almost ALWAYS out there on 3rd downs. Is that completely his fault? No, he is what he is- a 1st & 2nd down run stopper who knows how to play in a 3-4 alignment. But if you are out there, you need to make those plays.

And Apollo - take a deep breath, bruh Embarassed Wink
longhorntexan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bart Scott Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
jch1911 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
Any interest in him?

Not sure if ANYONE on our team would have been able to cover TE / slot WR's / RB's out of the backfield... but if you didn't see Bradie James getting beat on 3rd conversions, you weren't looking and he was almost ALWAYS out there on 3rd downs. Is that completely his fault? No, he is what he is- a 1st & 2nd down run stopper who knows how to play in a 3-4 alignment. But if you are out there, you need to make those plays.

And Apollo - take a deep breath, bruh Embarassed Wink

Brian Cushing was supposed to be the backer who never left the field and the one out there on third down dime packages. If Cushing had been healthy this would've been a nonissue for most people.

I do think ILB is a need, but only because of the uncertainty surrounding Cushing. If you have man-freak manning at one ILB spot, you can afford to have the more over the hill, "savvy" James at the other for half the time. With these parameters I'd go with a high upside, athletic freak in the draft over a big mouthed veteran who'll cost 5 to 6 times as much.
jch1911

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bart Scott Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Not sure if ANYONE on our team would have been able to cover TE / slot WR's / RB's out of the backfield...

Sorry, I meant to say that AFTER Cushing went down... not sure if...etc.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
veterans who are TOO veterany

I did fail to call proper attention to this greatness. I would place 2011 Derrick Mason in this category of "too veterany." Yes, there is a limit, but I don't think it's at 31 as many Texan fans seem to think (and need to get over since Andre Johnson will have 32 candles to blow out this year and still has $53 million sitting out there on that contract).

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
jch1911

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Quote:
veterans who are TOO veterany

I did fail to call proper attention to this greatness. I would place 2011 Derrick Mason in this category of "too veterany." Yes, there is a limit, but I don't think it's at 31 as many Texan fans seem to think (and need to get over since Andre Johnson will have 32 candles to blow out this year and still has $53 million sitting out there on that contract).

Thank you for noticing! Embarassed (I was stumped for a better word due to extreme hunger at the time.)

I think you have an excellent point about not writing players off after 30 (e.g. Randy Moss in New England).

For instance, I think if the Redskins dump Santana Moss because his salary is too high, he would be an excellent addition to our offense as a veteran slot WR. (I think he still has some gas in the tank and his numbers last season were not horrible, but he did drop a few catchable passes.)
texans_uk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listening to Jets fans gives me the impression we shouldn't touch Scott unless for vet min.

mse326

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
Listening to Jets fans gives me the impression we shouldn't touch Scott unless for vet min.

That's never a good idea Laughing

#JDI
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
texans_uk wrote:

He's a backup that's probably too old for special teams. I don't want any part. I'm starting to think ILB could be the trickiest hole to fill for us. Te'o will probably be available when we pick. Bradie James will probably still be available after the draft.

Daryl Smith, Rey Maualuga, and Michael Boley seem like decent options.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAtexansFAN99 wrote:
mse326 wrote:
texans_uk wrote:

He's a backup that's probably too old for special teams. I don't want any part. I'm starting to think ILB could be the trickiest hole to fill for us. Te'o will probably be available when we pick. Bradie James will probably still be available after the draft.

Daryl Smith, Rey Maualuga, and Michael Boley seem like decent options.

Rey-Rey is someone I'd kick the tires on. Young, has solid athletic skill, low cost, has played MLB in a 4-3 set - he's not a world class ILB, but a good option for a 2 down player.

If we go via the draft, I'm on the Kiko Alonzo bandwagon. I'd see where he's value is at and make a strong push to get him come draft day.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
green24

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:

Really doesn't offer much on field impact at all. He might be good for a nice tackle every once in awhile, but he is really not a productive player anymore. Still a fantastic locker room presence though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: