Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Saints release TE Thomas and CB Patrick
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porter22

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Saints release TE Thomas and CB Patrick Reply with quote

Quote:
New Orleans Saints Executive Vice President/General Manager Mickey Loomis announced Tuesday that the club has terminated the contract of TE David Thomas and waived CB Johnny Patrick.

I liked Patrick coming out of Louisville, but he never lived up to his (or mine) expectations. Bit surprised by the Thomas release, cap savings should be the reason here.

We save more than $2 million with those two moves!

QB Drew Brees - 1,203 YDs ; 7 TD ; 3 INT ; 71.4% Pct

DB Patrick Robinson - 12 Tackles, 3 PDefs, 1 INT
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they resign Thomas to a 3-4 year small deal. Don't want to lose him, and he doesn't seem like a guy who's about the money.

11 catches, 4 TDs

Brees loves him in the redzone.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really understanding this move. Thomas is a pretty good TE. He can block as well as catch passes. They terminate the contract of a guy that's actually pretty good at doing his job, but keep overpaid guys that can't. Think

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWATcha wrote:
I'm not really understanding this move. Thomas is a pretty good TE. He can block as well as catch passes. They terminate the contract of a guy that's actually pretty good at doing his job, but keep overpaid guys that can't. Think

Agreed... DT should have been restructured (still might be resigned) but he does his job and is versatile. Backup TE and H-back type.

We cut him without question but make pittful excuses for guys like Vilma, Smith and Harper and basically plea with them to restructure to stay!!!

I'd take Dave Thomas at 2.2 mill any day over any of our severly overpriced aging veteran defenders!

I'm so confused, not by this move but by the non moves!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOOOOOOO NOT DT

DT was a wonderful #2 TE and blocker. Patrick was good depth ad dirt cheap. Not off to a good start Mickey, by keeping Vilma and Smith but releasing DT and Pat.

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

AD 4 MVP!

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan
krewebrees

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You scared me I saw Patrick and thought Robinson. I don't know why we cut Patrick, but I'm not that disappointed because he didn't do much. I can actually see why we cut Thomas. He can never stay healthy and we do have to cut a lot to get under the salary cap. Every little bit helps, but it does raise the question why Will Smith hasn't been cut.
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krewebrees wrote:
You scared me I saw Patrick and thought Robinson. I don't know why we cut Patrick, but I'm not that disappointed because he didn't do much. I can actually see why we cut Thomas. He can never stay healthy and we do have to cut a lot to get under the salary cap. Every little bit helps, but it does raise the question why Will Smith hasn't been cut.

Glad I'm not the only one who was scared. I was like "NOOOOO P-Rob!!"

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

AD 4 MVP!

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan
thesolution

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I heard Payton wants a more athletic TE plus we are still 13 in a half million over the cap. I still expect Smith, Harper and Vilma to either get cut or take a big pay cut.

Copyrighted by Kiltman
My Second Sig
krewebrees

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on that I'm expecting us to draft a TE in a later round now. Don't really know many TEs outside the top 3 or 4. Who would y'all like to get.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm like... fine, cut who you need to cut! Shake this roster up but don't sit there and tell me that cutting DT and Patrick was good due to cap space and non production when at the same time you openly hope that you are able to get Smith and Vilma to agree to a restructure!

They should have been the first two cuts... PERIOD! Not evan an option to restructure. This is and always has been Payton's biggest weakness as a leader, "knowing when to let go"! Other teams get it, we don't.

The Colts have told Dwight Freeny that they won't resign him. After all he's done for that franchise and the player he is. Why, because he is older, more expensive, his play is declining and he simply isn't a scheme fit anymore. So, your telling me the Colts can cut Freeny but Payton feels we need to be loyal to Will Smith???

BULLCRAP!!!

I see this year uin and year out... Payton holds on to players far to long because of his emotional attachment while other top coaches like Belicheck trades and cuts veteran players on a yearly basis for the good of the team.

I'm not dissapointed that Payton is making the wrong cuts... I'm dissapointed that he refuses to make the hard but RIGHT ones!!!

Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm, this smells of Loomis to me, not Payton. Either way I'm pissed, just [inappropriate/removed] let go already. [inappropriate/removed]. This is the NFL Payton/Loomis. NO FRIENDSHIP LEAGUE. You can't get caught up in relationships. :facepalm:

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

AD 4 MVP!

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen two guys from the TP mention they expect to see Thomas resigned under a smaller deal. I'm hoping that happens.

Adopt-A-Saint:
Kenny Vaccaro 45 Tkls 4 PD 1 SCK 2 INTs
Ben Watson 9 Rec 64 Yds
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
I've seen two guys from the TP mention they expect to see Thomas resigned under a smaller deal. I'm hoping that happens.

I'd hope that happen. Still disappointed that I see Smith's name on the roster. And Harper. And Vilma.

We let CARL NICKS and TRACY PORTER (albeit for cap reason/brees signing) But won't let old/terrible players go. Sighh. Nicks & Porter > Vilma & Smith & Harper, but who do we keep? The latter.

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

AD 4 MVP!

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan
krewebrees

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper and Vilma don't bother me as much as Smith.

Harper just had a bad season with Spags and he always sucks in the playoffs. Harper can play in the box well, he is a good blitzer and not bad in man coverage, that's what Ryan does with his safeties. Although I would like to get Elam as a replacement I'm fine if Harper stays.

Vilma could have a small role for the team in 5 linebacker sets or on run downs. He is terrible in coverage, but could be used as an occasional blitzer. Not a huge fan of Vilma coming back, but wouldn't hate it either.

As soon as our season was over I want to cut Smith. This was even before the switch, granted I was saying we should have switched to a 3-4. He is way to over priced and doesn't fit the 3-4, maybe, but I would much rather prefer hicks or Floyd. This is the one I'm really disappointed about.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harp and I had talked about this numerous times before Payton made the announcement of our pending switch to the 34. I always felt that the switch was our best chance to utlize the talent and skill set of our younger defenders while at the same time giving us a solid reason to clear the books of our overpriced, overrated aging veteran defenders.

Once Payton made the call and after hearing his reasoning, I was like "OK, here we go". Then, BAM...this crap!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: