Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Shoffma1999's Pre-Combine Mock Offseason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How does it look?
A
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
B
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
C
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
D
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
F
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

shoffma1999

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Shoffma1999's Pre-Combine Mock Offseason Reply with quote

This would be an offseason that I could see as being semi-realistic, and something with which I would be very happy.

Free Agency

Resign:

Phil Dawson, K CLE

We resign Dawson to what will likely be his final contract before retiring. Maybe something around 2-3 years. Hopefully we will be able to reward his loyalty by making the playoffs within the life of the contract.

Benjamin Watson, TE CLE

Watson is a veteran presence who is a reliable target when healthy. He can continue to help the young TE's develop.

New Signings:

Greg Jennings, WR G.B.

This is the one signing that may be slightly unrealistic. However, I think we could throw a solid amount of money at him to lure him away from other suitors. He already has a Super Bowl ring so he may be looking more for money than playing for a contender. Jennings would give us the big play veteran WR that we desperately need to help our young developing corp.

Derek Cox, CB JAX

Cox was injured part of last season, which will allow us to lure him away from JAX with a reasonable contract offer. He is a quality CB with solid #2 potential. Plus, he is only 26 so he is just entering his prime years.

Quentin Groves, OLB ARI

Groves is a guy that will be a solid depth guy and potential starter. He knows Horton's system and can help Sheard and Ansah (see draft) transition to the new system.

Geoff Schwartz, OG MIN

Schwartz comes to Cleveland to fight for a starting OG spot potentially next to his brother Mitchell. If he is able to beat out Lauvoa; he and his brother will form a formidable right side with great size.

Derek Anderson, QB CAR

As much as some of us might not like it; Anderson is a veteran who has worked with Chud for some time now and can compete with/push Weeden to be better. He has a strong arm, and has shown that in the past he has the ability to stretch a defense vertically when he has bigger targets. He may be able to have a bit of a revival with Jennings, Little, Gordon, Watson, Jordan, and Kelce (see draft).

Draft

Trades:

1.) Cleveland receives NYJ's #9 and #39; NYJ receive CLE's #6.

Cleveland moves back three spots with the New York Jets who move up to land a slipping Geno Smith. Rex Ryan needs to save his job, and making a change at QB could potentially give him another couple years to turn it around. We make out slightly ahead in this trade, but it makes sense for NYJ to leap frog ARI and BUF to land their QB to replace the mediocre Sanchez.

2.) Cleveland receives G.B.'s 5th round pick; G.B. receives Colt McCoy.

This makes sense for both teams. GB gets a mobile backup QB who has started a decent number of games to be a solid backup to Rogers, and the Browns get a pick that can be used to add another young player.

Picks:

1.) Ezekial Ansah, DE/OLB BYU - 6'6" 270 lbs.

Ansah gives us a guy that has incredible potential and athletic ability. Horton prefers bigger OLB's, and Ansah has the size and athleticism that will give Horton a great base to mold into a dominant player. Ansah will likely start as a situational pass rusher ala Aldon Smith, and then develop into a potential All-Pro.

2.) Eric Reid, FS LSU - 6'2" 208 lbs.

Reid is a quality FS who can play the run and pass. He is a solid tackler who can lay a hit on a WR. He would come in immediately and start next to Ward forming a very solid safety duo. Reid's versatility allows Horton to have a pair of safeties that are roughly interchangeable and both can cover any responsibility needed.

3.) Travis Kelce, TE CIN - 6'6" 260 lbs.

Kelce gives the Browns the all around TE they need to round out the offense and be a formidable presence in the AFC North. Kelce is a great run blocker, and can stretch the field vertically. These two attributes make him a perfect pick for the Browns because we will largely be running an offense built around the run and vertical passing game. Kelce will also make Alex Smith largely expendable.

4.) William Gholston, DE Michigan St. - 6'7" 275 lbs.

Gholston will give Horton a developmental DE in the mold of Calais Campbell. He is blessed with great size and length, which is perfect for the 5 technique. He would not need to start right away as we have a number of quality D-line guys, but could eventually develop into a very good player.

5a.) Tyrann Mathieu, CB LSU - 5'9" 175 lbs.

I know some will think he is going to go higher than this, but I am not so certain. He is small and has some serious off field substance abuse issues. He also lacks elite athletic measurables. However, with that said, he is a good football player reminiscent of Antoine Winfield. He is a sure tackler and a playmaker. He can be used is Nickle and Dime roles and also as FS depth. He could become a very good 3rd CB/S type guy who could play a key role in an aggressive style defense.

5b.) Ryan Swope, WR Texas A&M - 6'0" 206 lbs.

Swope is a very solid possession type receiver. He is a guy that will be a reliable outlet to gain yards and move the chains.

6.) Micah Hyde, CB Iowa - 6'0" 196 lbs.

Hyde is a solid tackler, which will make Horton happy. He will be a solid special teams contributor and solid depth guy.

7a.) Zach Boren, FB Ohio St. - 6'1" 245 lbs.

I hate to have us drafting another FB, but no one has been able to take the position and run with it. FB is an important position to Chud's offense and we need a guy that can be a dependable lead blocker. Boren is all the better because he has played some LB and will be a valuable special teams guy.

7b.) Landry Jones, QB Oklahoma - 6'4" 218 lbs.

We take a flyer on Landry Jones with our last pick. He could be a developmental guy that fits the mold of what Chud likes in his QB's. He has a strong arm and some accuracy. He needs to improve his pocket presence and poise to ever develop. If nothing else he could be a cheap #3 QB who would allow us to trade Colt McCoy.[/u]

- Props to 64 CHAMPS for the awesome sig -
zelbell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like everything except Ansah
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont like resigning watson, or drafting ansah and mathieu.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this off-season with the exception of Ansah. To me, he's not good enough to go in the top ten.

If we go rush LB, I want Dion Jordan/Jarvis Jones/Barkevious Mingo all ahead of Ansah.

Derek Cox is a stud.

Groves is perfect depth.

Eric Reid is a very good safety. Not great, but will be a top ten FS his entire career.

Kelce I know nothing about honestly.

Gholston won't be there in the 4th. He's too talented. Like him though.

Mathieu won't probably be there in the 5th. Dude is awesome though.

Swope is my favorite WR for the slot. He's perfect in the 5th if he's there.

Hyde is a versatile DB who could help out.

Boren is a monster. Love him.

Landry Jones won't slip that far, but I like him as a 3rd string developmental QB.

The depth across the lines is a little poor, but overall, this is a good off-season.
Reginaldm9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The draft is excellent, but I absolutely HATE Landry Jones even with a 7th round pick. The dude has such a noodle arm, I can't even stand him.

Adopt-a-Brown: Joe Haden
Stats: 1 big fat pay day
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
candyman93

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reginaldm9 wrote:
The draft is excellent, but I absolutely HATE Landry Jones even with a 7th round pick. The dude has such a noodle arm, I can't even stand him.

He actually has a cannon arm

That's his only strength

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job (gave it a "B") except for Anderson. Would have been an "A" without him.
Reginaldm9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
Reginaldm9 wrote:

That's his only strength

My bad, replace noodle arm with lack of positive impact on games and overall ineffective play. I'd rather have an army of Honey Badger sized Tim Tebows stacked on each other's shoulders playing QB.

Adopt-a-Brown: Joe Haden
Stats: 1 big fat pay day
bruceb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reginaldm9 wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
Reginaldm9 wrote:

That's his only strength

My bad, replace noodle arm with lack of positive impact on games and overall ineffective play. I'd rather have an army of Honey Badger sized Tim Tebows stacked on each other's shoulders playing QB.

LOL!
cattleman78

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty solid overall.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: