Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Analyze This: The 2010 Draft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Analyze This: The 2010 Draft Reply with quote

Many experts say that it takes 3 years before we will know the true impact of a draft class. Therefore, it's time that we go back and analyze the 2010 Draft to see whether it was a success, a failure, or just middlin'. Here is the Vikings 2010 Draft:

1st Rd (#30) - Traded to Detroit (RB Jahvid Best) for #34, #100, & #214
2nd Rd (#34) - CB Chris Cook (Virginia)
2nd Rd (#51) - RB Toby Gerhart (Stanford)
2nd Rd (#62) - Traded to Houston for #51 (traded to NE, who drafted LB Brandon Spikes)
3rd Rd (#93) - Traded to Houston for #51 (traded to KC, who drafted TE Tony Moeaki)
4th Rd (#100) - DE Everson Griffen (USC)
4th Rd (#128) - Traded to Detroit (OT Jason Fox) for #34, #100, & #214
5th Rd (#161) - OT Chris DeGeare (Wake Forest)
5th Rd (#167) - LB Nathan Triplett (Minnesota)
6th Rd (#199) - QB Joe Webb (UAB)
7th Rd (#214) - TE Mickey Shuler, Jr (Penn State)
7th Rd (#237) - FB Ryan D'Imperio (Rutgers)

I'd like you to provide your own individual analysis of this draft now 3 years later.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
LoverInTheCold

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Analyze This: The 2010 Draft Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Many experts say that it takes 3 years before we will know the true impact of a draft class. Therefore, it's time that we go back and analyze the 2010 Draft to see whether it was a success, a failure, or just middlin'. Here is the Vikings 2010 Draft:

2nd Rd (#62) - Traded to Houston for #51 (traded to NE, who drafted LB Brandon Spikes)
3rd Rd (#93) - Traded to Houston for #51 (traded to KC, who drafted TE Tony Moeaki)

I'd like you to provide your own individual analysis of this draft now 3 years later.

C-

About what I thought then. The Toby Gerhart move was and remains an absolute head-scratcher. Backs with his skillset are a dime a dozen and quality depth/backups are easily found in the later rounds. And to trade up for him. Ish.

Cook is solid if he can stay out of trouble and on the field. I still don't have much confidence that he can do either for the long haul.

Griffen was obviously a steal, but we have until very recently underutilized him. I'm also gonna go on record and predict he's gonna be an absolute pain in the butt type headcase if we don't pay him soon and pay him well.

Everybody else= junk junk junk. Only 50% are still on the team. And only 50% of that 50% have made any real impact.

If Cook had gone to jail, this would have been a D-/F.

Overall, probably the weakest draft since the junkfest that was '05.

Adopt-a-Viking: Rhett Ellison
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just for additional information, those that are not currently on the Vikings roster:

Nate Triplett was most recently in Tampa Bay, but left the team in August and hasn't been heard from since.
Mickey Shuler is currently with the Raiders.
Ryan D'Imperio is also out of the league, as he did not sign with anyone after being released by the Vikings prior to this past season.
Chris DeGeare is currently with the NY Giants

Thx to Uncle Buck!
The Gnat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say C-

The grade is brought up by Griffen who was a steal at that point, and dropped down by DeGeare, Triplett, Shuler, and D'Imperio. Gerhart isn't a bad player, but he isn't that much above average and he hasn't developed into a great pass blocker as a RB or out of the backfield threat yet. I don't need him to be a scat back, but someone who is more consistent with a 5 yard dump off. Cook has been good when he's been on the field. I won't comment about off the field because he was cleared in both situations, so those are cleared in my book, but he's had issues staying healthy. Griffen is basically the bright spot, and Webb for one game in Philadelphia. Otherwise Webb has been disappointing since he was drafted at an ATH to convert to WR, and that hasn't happened because his hands aren't good.

TearsOfPurple

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still can't believe we traded up for Gerhart, wasn't it Chilly who had a lot of pull in that?

#TankItTeddy
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trade down with Detroit might be the best part of the draft, considering who we picked up with those picks and who they drafted.

Still, a C- might be generous.

-Everyone likes Cook, but he still hasn't played in more than 10 games in a season.
-I like Gerhart more than most, but it was still a poor use of resources.
-Griffen was easily the best pick of the draft.
-The last 5 picks are meh at best.
LoverInTheCold

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
The trade down with Detroit might be the best part of the draft, considering who we picked up with those picks and who they drafted.

Still, a C- might be generous.

-Everyone likes Cook, but he still hasn't played in more than 10 games in a season.
-I like Gerhart more than most, but it was still a poor use of resources.
-Griffen was easily the best pick of the draft.
-The last 5 picks are meh at best.

Good points, but it still looks like an A+ compared to some of the Green/Tice drafts.

Adopt-a-Viking: Rhett Ellison
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give a D -

Chris cook has been solid, but his injury concerns and off the field issues dont leave him with high marks for a 2nd rd pick. Could be worse i suppose, he is a good player on the field so id give that pick a C so far.

Basically, the 2nd and 3rd picks used on Toby Gerhart was a completely dreadful decision.

DeGeare, Triplett, Webb, Shuler and D'Imperio are pretty much worthless draft picks. You have to be able to hit on some of these picks for depth purposes and even developmental role players and starters.

Griffen was a great pick, Cook was decent, the rest was awful.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Analyze This: The 2010 Draft Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:

I really dont think after the 4th rd you should give a grade...everyone one of those guys was on practice squad or had some playing time which should warrant at least a B grade.

reason...how many teams hit on rds 5-7 very very few...just the fact that these guys made the team or practice squad makes them a good pick

So ...you have Cook b-
Gearhart c
Griffen solid b

Overall b-
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with ignoring what teams do in the mid to late rounds. You have to be able to find role players and depth rather consistently. And the team mostly failed to do so for several years. If most of you're draft picks are off the roster within a few years of the draft, you have problems.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The trades cancel each other out, we got a great deal with Detroit and made a horrible decision regarding the Houston trade, so I say they're neutral.

2nd round gets a C-, Cook as shown flashes but can't stay on the field, the trade up for Toby was horrible but he hasn't been completely worthless (just mostly worthless, whatever that amounts to), but we did get 2 contributors, albeit guys who could and should be doing a lot more and better things given their talents.

Everson gets an A, he was a steal and part of a great trade and he's going to be a big piece of this team for a long time.

5th round gets a D- just because DeGeare got some playing time and wasn't horrible, but that was a huge reach for Triplett and I don't recall him even making it out of training camp...

I'll give Webb a D just because he was decent for about 2 or 3 games, and because he added a new, more exciting part of the gameplan, even if it wasonly utilized in preseason.

D- for the 7th, D'Imperio gave us one season as a holdover for Felton, Shuler was part of some weird feud between Belichick and Childress, IIRC, so he's a wash.

Overall, I give it a D+, and that's being very kind...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I disagree with ignoring what teams do in the mid to late rounds. You have to be able to find role players and depth rather consistently. And the team mostly failed to do so for several years. If most of you're draft picks are off the roster within a few years of the draft, you have problems.

Not most... rds 5-7....name 5 guys from that draft in those rds that are still on teams today..i bet it would be tough....role players can be had through free agency or undrafted fa....rds 5-7 are guys you take a chance on..if they dont pan out you move on
Robbroy45

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck44 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Not most... rds 5-7....name 5 guys from that draft in those rds that are still on teams today..i bet it would be tough....role players can be had through free agency or undrafted fa....rds 5-7 are guys you take a chance on..if they dont pan out you move

Round 5 alone produced am Chancellor and Reshad Jones, who are both probably on their way to becoming top 10 safeties if they aren't already. Arthur Jones was also in that round, he was a pretty solid contributor for the Ravens in their postseason run. Brett's best friend Arthur Moats was in the 6th, and he is a good role player for the Bills. Greg Hardy turned into a grat pass rusher for the Panthers, he was in the 6th. Zoltan Mesko has been a good punter for the Pats, Antonio Brown and Jonathon Dwyer have both contributed for the Patriots, and guys like Marc Mariani for the Titans, Kavell Connor for the Colts, and Kurt Coleman for the Eagles have all been starters at some point or another. And those are just notable names, there are plenty of others who have been good role players or just lesser known but still effective starters.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree, the odds of hitting on players round 4 and later is difficult, but to consistently fail to do so for 5+ years of drafting, that is why this team is as depleted as it was in 2011-2012.

Good drafting teams consistently find mid to late rd contributors. The Vikings are starting to do a better job of it since 2011.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbroy45 wrote:
chuck44 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Not most... rds 5-7....name 5 guys from that draft in those rds that are still on teams today..i bet it would be tough....role players can be had through free agency or undrafted fa....rds 5-7 are guys you take a chance on..if they dont pan out you move

Round 5 alone produced am Chancellor and Reshad Jones, who are both probably on their way to becoming top 10 safeties if they aren't already. Arthur Jones was also in that round, he was a pretty solid contributor for the Ravens in their postseason run. Brett's best friend Arthur Moats was in the 6th, and he is a good role player for the Bills. Greg Hardy turned into a grat pass rusher for the Panthers, he was in the 6th. Zoltan Mesko has been a good punter for the Pats, Antonio Brown and Jonathon Dwyer have both contributed for the Patriots, and guys like Marc Mariani for the Titans, Kavell Connor for the Colts, and Kurt Coleman for the Eagles have all been starters at some point or another. And those are just notable names, there are plenty of others who have been good role players or just lesser known but still effective starters.

greg hardy was a first rd talent who driopped due to injury....punters dont count.....all the others are role players who wont be on teams in anotheryear.....similar talent can be had in FA or UNdrafted signing...all the guys you mentioned except for a few will be out of the league in less than 4 years

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: