Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Upon further review...OLB (part deux)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Upon further review...OLB (part deux) Reply with quote

Updated:06MAR2013

Previous Upon Further Review: SOLB
1) Jarvus Jones (Target Rd: 1) PRE-COMBINE- 1
2) Dion Jordan (Target Rd: 1) PRE-COMBINE- 2
3) Jamie Collins (Target Rd: 1-2) PRE-COMBINE- 4
4) Chase Thomas (Target Rd: 2-3) PRE-COMBINE- 3
5) Brandon Jenkins (Target Rd: 3-4) PRE-COMBINE- 5

Now we are going to look at WOLB. When I look for a WOLB, I am looking for a guy who will be blitzing more than 80% of the time. He also has to be able to anchor the edge against a LT and more often TE. They will be dropping back into coverage infrequently, and usually in zone close to the line of scrimmage/on the flats. I think that Junior Galette is capable in this role, but he certainly has questions. Is he a legit sack master or is he only a guy who is going to get QB hurries? He has a great first step, though this hasnít been demonstrated with his hand off the turf. He also has not been strong against the run, though he has improved. Maybe he will be able to anchor better in his more natural position at WOLB. I am pretty confident that he can fulfill the coverage responsibilities of the position. But outside GaletteÖI donít see another WOLB on the roster. Heck, I donít see any SOLB on the roster.

My list for WOLB will be a bit longer than SOLB, because the position has fewer responsibilities, and more guys are capable of filling the role. Here we go:

1) Jarvus Jones (Target Rd: 1)- Wonít go into detail here, since he was mentioned as a SOLB. Heís the best player in the draft. Iím not concerned about his neck. I am actually more concerned about Dion Jordanís Labrum. He is an absolute game changer. He not only gets sacksÖhe forces fumbles. Day oneÖhe becomes a top 5 3-4 OLB. You canít say that about any other player.

Did not participate at combine. No change post-combine. PREVIOUS RANKING- 1.

2) Bjorn Werner (Target Rd: 1)- Still pretty raw, but his combination of quickness and power are second to none. Good but not great against the runÖbut again, this has more to do with technique than ability. Motor does tend to run hot and cold.

Athleticism was as predict at the combine. However, his movement skills in coverage were actually excellent. No doubt in my mind that he could play 3-4 WOLB. PREVIOUS RANKING- 2.

3) Dion Jordan (Target Rd: 1)- His labrum is going to have to check out. He chose to not undergo surgery so that he can prepare for the draft. My question is where is that going to leave him for the season? Is he going to need surgery between the draft and the beginning of the season?

As expected, his labrum is an issue. He will have surgery after the combine. He should be back at 100% before training camp, so I won't bump him for that. Very impressive running at the combine, but that was expected. He added a little weight which is somewhat promising. He still really needs to get up to about 265lbs. He was not able to display his lower or upper body strength at the combine...which is disappointing concerning that is a big concern for him. As it stands, I am keeping him at #3 behind Jones and Werner. PREVIOUS RANKING- 3.

4) Jamie Collins (Target Rd: 1)- Capable of playing both WOLB and SOLB at a high level. May be the perfect guy to bring in if the Saints sign an elite SOLB in free agency, such as Kruger, Barwin, or Spencer. Like Lemonier, Collins will be undervalued because his production was somewhat limited by an atrocious team. Even still, Collins was able to rack up ten sacks last season. There are lots of guys who are small DEís playing OLB in the 3-4. Collins, like Jarvus Jones, is not one of those guys. He happens to be a linebacker with elite pass rush ability.

Extremely impressive combine. Production, elite athleticism, ability to play 3-4 SOLB/WOLB at a high level...I think that he is a 1st-2nd round prospect at this point. PREVIOUS RANKING- 8.

5) Barkevious Mingo (Target Rd: 1)- Is strictly a WOLB in the 3-4 scheme. And I still have some questions whether or not he is too small for any position in this scheme. His quickness off the line is only rivaled by Jarvus Jones. If used correctly, as strictly a pass rusher, Mingo could have lots of success. But I do not think that he is a full-time player from the get go. Reminds me in lots of ways of Bruce Irvin. A potential terror as a push rusher, but a liability in any other phase of the game.

Did as expected at the combine. PREVIOUS RANKING- 5.

6) Ezekiel Ansah (Target Rd: 2)- Like Moore, I am not as high on Ansah. If I was a 4-3 team looking for a DE, I would be all over him. As a 3-4 team, I am not so excited. He has great straight line speed for his size, but I question his quickness and lateral agility. He has a big issue with football IQ. I think that the game might overwhelm him as an OLB. He needs to play in the most simple schemes imaginable so that he can just stick with rushing the QB. He will be a liability in coverage. Solid against the run when he can freelance. But he has horrible technique that may get exposed at the next level.

Very impressive at the combine. His straight line speed was expected to be elite but what really impressed me was his quickness and agility. I am starting to buy the hype that maybe he can play WOLB in the 3-4. I still have serious concerns about his football IQ and his love for the game, and for that reason he stays at his previous spot. PREVIOUS RANKING- 6.

7) Damontre Moore (Target Rd: 2)- Not as high as many others. I donít see a special player. I see a guy who is going to be solid. Better against the run than any other previously mentioned. Only above average first step and pass rush moves. Very hard worker. I think that people are expecting him to be an athletic freak, and I think that many are going to be disappointed. I think that he is probably an inferior athlete to everyone else mentioned. Donít be surprised if Moore is available at #15 overall. Still, he is a solid player to provides a good pass rush and is very good against the run.

I was dead on with Moore. He did not test well at the combine. I am actually going to move him back a few spots because he actually did worse than I was expecting based on game tape. Still could be a solid OLB, but I don't see him as a huge game changer. PREVIOUS RANKING- 4.

Cool Corey Lemonier (Target Rd: 2-3)- There is a team that is going to profit off of Auburn being an abortion of a team last season. Lemonier is a perfect scheme fit for 3-4 OLB. Great first step and agility. Demonstrated two seasons ago that he can be an elite pass rusher. Has enough size and strength to anchor the edge. He may be my favorite WOLB outside of round one.

Ran as expect at the combine but looked a bit more stiff than I expect. I think think that he is a good mid-round OLB prospect, but I was hoping for more. PREVIOUS RANKING- 8.

9) Brandon Jenkins (Target Rd: 3-4)- Will likely be undervalued because a Lisfranc injury that halted his season. Has lots of experience standing up and has proven that he is capable to against the run and as a pass rusher. The combine is going to be HUGE for Jenkins, much like Jarvus Jones and Dion Jordan. If he can prove that not only is he 100% but that he has not lost as stepÖhis stock could skyrocket.

Limited participation at combine. PREVIOUS RANKING- 9.

10) Quanterus Smith (Target Rd: 4-5)- Itís the later rounds, so why not go for the guy with huge upside. Smith has fantastic athleticism, has great size, has demonstrated that he is capable of playing against solid competition. He absolutely abused DJ Fluker in the game against Alabama. Showed the ability to run the arch, separate against defenders in the running game, and anchor against the run. Had a torn ACL which should be good to go now, though it will need to be examined closely at the combine. Small college teamís rehab facilities are not quite the same as big progreams. But assuming that checks out, he is an excellent developmental player in the later rounds.

Limited participation at combine. PREVIOUS RANKING- 10.

OMITTED- Sam Montgomery - Took him off my big board. His character concerns are a HUGE red flag. And considering that he is much better fit for 4-3 RDE, he just isn't worth it. PREVIOUS RANKING- 5.

NEXT UP...DE

Last edited by sammymvpknight on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
FLOODx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like Ansah in a 3-4, especially at OLB. I haven't really watched any of Lemonier, so I need to get on that. Also pretty surprised at how high you have Werner. Did he stand up much in college?

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Upon further review...OLB (part deux) Reply with quote

I like Chase Thomas!

Dude is a flat out football player who might not have all the physical gifts as others but once the pads are on the guy turns into a mad man.

Could also kick inside too

3rd round, GREAT VALUE!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
FLOODx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Thomas too. Great instincts with a viscious swim move. Coverage isn't his strong suit, but he's not garbage. His speed worries me; interested to see what he runs.

Adopt-a-Saint
Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
I like Thomas too. Great instincts with a viscious swim move. Coverage isn't his strong suit, but he's not garbage. His speed worries me; interested to see what he runs.

His 40 times going to be brutal. He lacks elite burst and really isn't all that fast in his full stride. I'd be shocked if he ran higher than a 4.8 BUT he sheds blocks incredibly well and has very developed pass rush moves. He's a guy I see succeeding without elite athleticism, a "technician" so to say.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
FLOODx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

His 40 times going to be brutal. He lacks elite burst and really isn't all that fast in his full stride. I'd be shocked if he ran higher than a 4.8 BUT he sheds blocks incredibly well and has very developed pass rush moves. He's a guy I see succeeding without elite athleticism, a "technician" so to say.

I can tell lol. He looks REALLY slow

Adopt-a-Saint
Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lord. I just re-watched his game vs Notre Dame and he routinely beats OTs, OGs and TEs with ease. Just throws them away like they're nothing but he is AWFUL in space. Tight hips, lacks athleticism and often would get into the backfield but not come away with the sack. I can see him being a guy who gets other guys lots of sacks, as in he is going to get tons of pressure and force the QB to roll out giving Jordan, Hicks and our other OLB lots of opportunities for sacks. I'd definitely take him with our 4th round pick, but I'd be very hesitant to take him any higher than that.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
FLOODx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
Good lord. I just re-watched his game vs Notre Dame and he routinely beats OTs, OGs and TEs with ease. Just throws them away like they're nothing but he is AWFUL in space. Tight hips, lacks athleticism and often would get into the backfield but not come away with the sack. I can see him being a guy who gets other guys lots of sacks, as in he is going to get tons of pressure and force the QB to roll out giving Jordan, Hicks and our other OLB lots of opportunities for sacks. I'd definitely take him with our 4th round pick, but I'd be very hesitant to take him any higher than that.

I was watching it too. He made blockers look stupid, but Everett Gholston made him look just as dumb. He's not very athletic at all, just a blue collar football player.

Adopt-a-Saint
Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

I was watching it too. He made blockers look stupid, but Everett Gholston made him look just as dumb. He's not very athletic at all, just a blue collar football player.

Exactly. Gholston just made a simple cut and Thomas was out of the play basically but hell, him at least pressuring the QB would be the most pass rush we've seen in years Laughing

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:

Like Justin Smith?

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan:
Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

Like Justin Smith?

Good example. Smiths never had elite athleticism, but he is strong as a bull.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

Like Justin Smith?

Good example. Smiths never had elite athleticism, but he is strong as a bull.

And you said he gets other people sacks. Which is what Smith does for Aldon. I like Thomas as a 4th rounder.

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan:
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:

What I love about Thomas is his physicality and instincts! He may be a 4.8 guy but his instincts make him a lot faster on the field. He's also another guy that seems to get faster with the pads on. No he won't wow at the combine but he's a bull plain and simple with the ability to play inside or outside in any 34 scheme. 3rd-4th round steal!

A true "dirty work" player!

Check this little nugget out about this guy...
Quote:
Thomas recorded 7.5 regular season sacks despite only rushing the passer on just 20% of his defensive snaps.

Shocked
SAY WHATTTTTTTTT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
FLOODx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think about Okafor? He may struggle in coverage, but he's great against the run and a solid pass rusher. Does he have a fit in a 3-4?

Adopt-a-Saint
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
What do you guys think about Okafor? He may struggle in coverage, but he's great against the run and a solid pass rusher. Does he have a fit in a 3-4?

Definitely not a SOLB. Not an ideal WOLB because he just isn't an elite pass rusher. He reminds me of a less athletic Sam Montgomery. Both may be taken in the top part of round two as 4-3 DEs, but I probably wouldn't draft Okafor in three first the rounds as an OLB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: