Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pats won't use franchise tag on WR Wes Welker, Talking deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JaguarCrazy2832


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 83785
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all expected this
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
silus


Joined: 09 Aug 2007
Posts: 1897
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welker has done nothing but perform at a high level every year. Yet, there are still questions about how good he is. I don't get it. Sometimes I wonder what other things people are looking at. It doesn't make sense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
simonwayne


Joined: 11 Sep 2011
Posts: 14731
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silus wrote:
Welker has done nothing but perform at a high level every year. Yet, there are still questions about how good he is. I don't get it. Sometimes I wonder what other things people are looking at. It doesn't make sense.


It's to be expected when the only place he performed at a high level was in New England out of the slot with Tom Brady throwing him the ball
_________________
Sigbet with El Ramster; OKC wins title = I win. IND wins title = he wins.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
silus


Joined: 09 Aug 2007
Posts: 1897
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonwayne wrote:
silus wrote:
Welker has done nothing but perform at a high level every year. Yet, there are still questions about how good he is. I don't get it. Sometimes I wonder what other things people are looking at. It doesn't make sense.


It's to be expected when the only place he performed at a high level was in New England out of the slot with Tom Brady throwing him the ball

As the Patriots GM said, the Patriots acquired him partly because they could not stop him when they played Miami. And by the way, he had only been playing 2 years as a wide receiver up to that point, and its common knowledge it usually takes a couple years for a WR to figure it out.

Anymore excuses?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncos67


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 22151
Location: Conshohocken
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silus wrote:
simonwayne wrote:
silus wrote:
Welker has done nothing but perform at a high level every year. Yet, there are still questions about how good he is. I don't get it. Sometimes I wonder what other things people are looking at. It doesn't make sense.


It's to be expected when the only place he performed at a high level was in New England out of the slot with Tom Brady throwing him the ball

As the Patriots GM said, the Patriots acquired him partly because they could not stop him when they played Miami. And by the way, he had only been playing 2 years as a wide receiver up to that point, and its common knowledge it usually takes a couple years for a WR to figure it out.

Anymore excuses?


Because it's a business. He's going to command a lot of money from them, and it's money they can't reasonably afford to pay him right now. I think he's a good player, however, it remains to be seen what his true impact is outside of the system he's in in New England. Now, if Denver picked him up...
_________________


Thanks, Tzimisce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shockey1979


Joined: 02 Sep 2005
Posts: 20980
Location: RI/MA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silus wrote:
simonwayne wrote:
silus wrote:
Welker has done nothing but perform at a high level every year. Yet, there are still questions about how good he is. I don't get it. Sometimes I wonder what other things people are looking at. It doesn't make sense.


It's to be expected when the only place he performed at a high level was in New England out of the slot with Tom Brady throwing him the ball

As the Patriots GM said, the Patriots acquired him partly because they could not stop him when they played Miami. And by the way, he had only been playing 2 years as a wide receiver up to that point, and its common knowledge it usually takes a couple years for a WR to figure it out.

Anymore excuses?


Do you honestly think Welker would have put up anywhere near the same statistics had he stayed in Miami?
_________________

"Sundown, you better take care... if I find you been creepin' round my back stairs"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SatireSphere


Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 4309
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the right quarterback, yes.

He's a killer on third down, gets separation consistently underneath, usually has good hands (excluding this year for some reason). Faster than he looks, too. He can go deep.

That sounds like a good WR on a lot of teams.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
49erjunkie


Joined: 30 Jan 2007
Posts: 2778
Location: Closer than you think
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockey1979 wrote:
silus wrote:
simonwayne wrote:
silus wrote:
Welker has done nothing but perform at a high level every year. Yet, there are still questions about how good he is. I don't get it. Sometimes I wonder what other things people are looking at. It doesn't make sense.


It's to be expected when the only place he performed at a high level was in New England out of the slot with Tom Brady throwing him the ball

As the Patriots GM said, the Patriots acquired him partly because they could not stop him when they played Miami. And by the way, he had only been playing 2 years as a wide receiver up to that point, and its common knowledge it usually takes a couple years for a WR to figure it out.

Anymore excuses?


Do you honestly think Welker would have put up anywhere near the same statistics had he stayed in Miami?
I dont think he means it like that. The numbers im not sure about, but welker is a talented guy. People just seem to think it is because of the system he is in is the main reason for his success.
_________________


Walter Redskins on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shockey1979


Joined: 02 Sep 2005
Posts: 20980
Location: RI/MA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49erjunkie wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:
silus wrote:
simonwayne wrote:
silus wrote:
Welker has done nothing but perform at a high level every year. Yet, there are still questions about how good he is. I don't get it. Sometimes I wonder what other things people are looking at. It doesn't make sense.


It's to be expected when the only place he performed at a high level was in New England out of the slot with Tom Brady throwing him the ball

As the Patriots GM said, the Patriots acquired him partly because they could not stop him when they played Miami. And by the way, he had only been playing 2 years as a wide receiver up to that point, and its common knowledge it usually takes a couple years for a WR to figure it out.

Anymore excuses?


Do you honestly think Welker would have put up anywhere near the same statistics had he stayed in Miami?
I dont think he means it like that. The numbers im not sure about, but welker is a talented guy. People just seem to think it is because of the system he is in is the main reason for his success.


Oh he's definitely a talented receiver. Can take big hit after big hit. But I think being in New England's scheme seriously inflates his statistics. Put him on any other team except maybe Green Bay or New Orleans and I think his stats drop through the floor. He would still be one of the best slot receivers in the league but nowhere near what he is in New England. IO took his comment as an insinuation that Welker is as good as his stats say he is. And that I disagree with.
_________________

"Sundown, you better take care... if I find you been creepin' round my back stairs"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aristotle


Joined: 09 Feb 2013
Posts: 32
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockey1979 wrote:
49erjunkie wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:
silus wrote:
simonwayne wrote:
silus wrote:
Welker has done nothing but perform at a high level every year. Yet, there are still questions about how good he is. I don't get it. Sometimes I wonder what other things people are looking at. It doesn't make sense.


It's to be expected when the only place he performed at a high level was in New England out of the slot with Tom Brady throwing him the ball

As the Patriots GM said, the Patriots acquired him partly because they could not stop him when they played Miami. And by the way, he had only been playing 2 years as a wide receiver up to that point, and its common knowledge it usually takes a couple years for a WR to figure it out.

Anymore excuses?


Do you honestly think Welker would have put up anywhere near the same statistics had he stayed in Miami?
I dont think he means it like that. The numbers im not sure about, but welker is a talented guy. People just seem to think it is because of the system he is in is the main reason for his success.


Oh he's definitely a talented receiver. Can take big hit after big hit. But I think being in New England's scheme seriously inflates his statistics. Put him on any other team except maybe Green Bay or New Orleans and I think his stats drop through the floor. He would still be one of the best slot receivers in the league but nowhere near what he is in New England. IO took his comment as an insinuation that Welker is as good as his stats say he is. And that I disagree with.


People used to say Welker was a product of Randy Moss but we all know that was obviously false. Welker is a damn good player and there's nothing wrong with admitting it.

With Welker people never seem to give him credit because of his physical stats. People think that since he's 5'8, doesn't have breakaway speed, not a bulldozer that he's not anything special and that any player can do what he's done in the past couple of seasons. Fact is that he's a great route runner, he's quick, he's tough and he's always finding space in the field.

BTW, aren't most players a product of their system basically? Would a player like Aldon Smith(for example) be as effective as a outside 4-3 LB despite being a pass rusher?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 40502
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Wes Welker and the Patriots have indeed been discussing a contract, but still no reason to believe anything is imminent.


http://twitter.com/jeffphowe/statuses/306206700367642624
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ottawagiants10


Joined: 22 Feb 2013
Posts: 197
Location: Ottawa Ontario
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is what he is. A top slot WR. The main reason why people don't think he is a top receiver is his career 11 yard average. That's not special at all. He doesn't stretch the field, he doesn't command the double team, doesn't line up against teams number 1 corner most of the time. But the guy moves the chains and kills teams slowly with his ability to pick up the first down more times then not. He made the most of his ability and he is insanely productive. In short he is a volume guy. That's why he probably wouldn't put up the same numbers with another team but he would still be just as effective with the touches he gets.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48045
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ottawagiants10 wrote:
He is what he is. A top slot WR. The main reason why people don't think he is a top receiver is his career 11 yard average. That's not special at all. He doesn't stretch the field, he doesn't command the double team, doesn't line up against teams number 1 corner most of the time. But the guy moves the chains and kills teams slowly with his ability to pick up the first down more times then not. He made the most of his ability and he is insanely productive. In short he is a volume guy. That's why he probably wouldn't put up the same numbers with another team but he would still be just as effective with the touches he gets.


Same story with Percy Harvin, but with more explosive YAC ability. I worry about overpaying for these types, but at Welker's age, I cant see him getting a big contract.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ottawagiants10


Joined: 22 Feb 2013
Posts: 197
Location: Ottawa Ontario
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
ottawagiants10 wrote:
He is what he is. A top slot WR. The main reason why people don't think he is a top receiver is his career 11 yard average. That's not special at all. He doesn't stretch the field, he doesn't command the double team, doesn't line up against teams number 1 corner most of the time. But the guy moves the chains and kills teams slowly with his ability to pick up the first down more times then not. He made the most of his ability and he is insanely productive. In short he is a volume guy. That's why he probably wouldn't put up the same numbers with another team but he would still be just as effective with the touches he gets.


Same story with Percy Harvin, but with more explosive YAC ability. I worry about overpaying for these types, but at Welker's age, I cant see him getting a big contract.


I'm glad you said that. I've been arguing with a few buddy's of mine who think Harvin is a top # 1 WR. I keep saying he is a faster Welker. Still a great player but more of a top end # 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
silus


Joined: 09 Aug 2007
Posts: 1897
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets be honest. Part of the reason its hard to give Welker credit is because he is an aberration in many ways, and the main one we are not allowed to talk about here. But its the truth, and its hard for a guy like that to break through at the WR and RB positions. Just reality I guess.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group