Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pats won't use franchise tag on WR Wes Welker, Talking deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
YlionsY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either he'll be overpayed and not as productive or he'll come back to the Pats with a reasonable contract.

Also Welker is light years ahead of Titus Young and could be pretty productive in the Lions offense. Probably not as effective as NE but much better than Young. Lions just don't have that type of money to throw around.
Typical_Lions

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He might fit the Lions philosophically but the cap situation they are in will prevent this from happening unless he signs for well under his value.
Malik

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he came within 35-45 receptions he had with New England I'd be pretty shocked.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
If he came within 35-45 receptions he had with New England I'd be pretty shocked.

Doubt he comes close to the production he saw in NE if he moves on.

I don't doubt that a team will pay him expecting the same production he had in NE.
BlueOne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
GoneWithTheWind wrote:
Wes Welker=Danny Amendola.

Welker has been getting crushed by DLs/LBs/DBs for years and barely missed any time at all, Amendola made a total of 9 starts the past two seasons due to injuries while also having career per catch average of 8.8. [Welker has 11.2 average]

Amendola is really good and would be well worth a lot of money if healthy. That said, Welker is far more valuable because Amendola's health is a huge concern.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueOne wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
GoneWithTheWind wrote:
Wes Welker=Danny Amendola.

Welker has been getting crushed by DLs/LBs/DBs for years and barely missed any time at all, Amendola made a total of 9 starts the past two seasons due to injuries while also having career per catch average of 8.8. [Welker has 11.2 average]

Amendola is really good and would be well worth a lot of money if healthy. That said, Welker is far more valuable because Amendola's health is a huge concern.

Amendola's injuries - while concerning - have been broken bone types (one time, reasonably unlikely to recur)

Welker's had a few concussions and takes some crushing hits due to his size and type of player he is. As we saw with Wayne Chrebet, over-the-middle slot guys can see an abrupt end to their careers due to head injuries. Amendola has a troubling injury history for sure, but Welker's ability to hold up for 3+ more years is unlikely IMO.
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
Malik wrote:

I don't doubt that a team will pay him expecting the same production he had in NE.

thats stupid tho when no one can cover him... its not like a running back where the line can create these insane gaps and a average back can look amazing...

i seen so many corners and safeties get turned inside out by Welker.. hes got to be one of the hardest one on one covers in the game. and he still has to make those 100 catches which are usually in traffic.

why is every one actin like this guys a scrub who road off Bradys back ... cause everything says hes a work horse.

Didnt he come back from blown out knee like AP and still beast...

Rolling Eyes

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles
YlionsY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
Malik wrote:

thats stupid tho when no one can cover him... its not like a running back where the line can create these insane gaps and a average back can look amazing...

i seen so many corners and safeties get turned inside out by Welker.. hes got to be one of the hardest one on one covers in the game. and he still has to make those 100 catches which are usually in traffic.

why is every one actin like this guys a scrub who road off Bradys back ... cause everything says hes a work horse.

Rolling Eyes

I'm not saying he won't be productive but he won't see NE type numbers.

Guy is alright but is in the perfect fit with NE. No way he sees the production he has with NE and it seems like you would be one of the GM's to overpay him expecting him to replicate.
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that will hold him back on other teams is his hands....he has a small catching radius, even for his size. He makes an awful lot of catches with his body. Brady's accuracy makes up for that.

He'll get open fine no matter where he plays, but unless your QB can hit him in the numbers the vast majority of the time he could easily lead the league in drops.

The Broncos or Saints would be ideal...but both are pretty set at WR. The packers are losing Jennings but Cobb is great out of the slot and they tend to build through the draft and trust their young guys. I understand the idea of suggesting Detroit....but Staffords short accuracy is nothing like good enough to use Welker properly.

Adopt-a-Pat 2014: Robert Gronkowski TE
Rec: 8 Yards: 72 TDs: 1
Malik

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:
YlionsY wrote:
Malik wrote:

Rolling Eyes

I'm not saying he won't be productive but he won't see NE type numbers.

Guy is alright but is in the perfect fit with NE. No way he sees the production he has with NE and it seems like you would be one of the GM's to overpay him expecting him to replicate.

I see him a lot like Brandon Marshall in that while talented it's largely target based. I don't see many teams throwing him the ball 100 times, much less the 200 times like Brady does.
RollEagles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was running the Broncos front office, I would make a run at Wes Welker.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's going to get paid; and that team is going to pay for it. If you know what I mean.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let it be noted that the source for this was Ron Borges... a reporter who has no connection to the Patriots and hasn't broken anything relevant in a decade. While I approve of this if true, and it may very well be, this is speculation and no more.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plush wrote:
I think he's headed to to Detroit or Miami

That would be nice, but Detroit doesn't have the cap space to make that happen, and there are far too many other holes to throw a bunch of money in another WR.
AlexM23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He played for the Patriots this year IMO

Kiltman on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: